R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 JCW Tuning Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:03 PM
wloprete
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW Tuning Kit

I bought the optional dealer installed JCW tuning kit when I purchased my new 2008 MCS three years ago.
There is a label in the engine compartment that states the spark plugs need to be changed after the second oil service.
I have just over 19,000 miles on the car.
My dealer insists that the spark plug replacement is driven by miles, not time, and that the expectation is that I should be at 40,000 miles before they would need to replace the plugs.
To me, this implies that the dealer can pick and choose if they want to apply time or distance to warranty work.
Can someone in the community offer some insights here?

Old 06-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I think the S has a recommendation of changing the spark plugs at 60k miles. When the JCW Tuning kit is installed, they shorten the interval to " every 2nd oil change" or roughly 30-40k miles. I only have 16k on my 08, but I'm planning on changing the plugs when I hit 25k.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:45 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
This is sorta along the same lines as some not checking their oil or preforming oil changes before the dealer says they will give you a free one and then just riding it out crossing their fingers.....the lube tube which delivers oil to the turbo will gum up if the engine oil is not changed regularly. Eventual Turbo failure comes next.

Some seem to think service intervals are written in stone. And performing such tasks out of pocket voids the warranty. Not so.

Anyone who wants trouble free miles and/or plans on keeping their MINI for any length of time. Just take the initiative and your wallet to the local auto parts store. Change the plugs sooner, check the oil levels often, especially in the R56 S's, and swap out the spark plugs every 10K to 15K miles.....( I do mine once a year ) But I would suggest against purchasing those NGKs from MINI. They are way over inflated in price, something like 24 dollars each.....

And changing the serpentine belt sooner is not a bad idea either.......( On my R53 it gets a fresh one once a year. )

Old 06-24-2011, 05:40 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The R56 install document for the JCW kit indicates spark plugs MUST be replaced every oil change interval. Not sure why the dealer would dispute that when their our MINI documentation is pretty clear what is required.

The install PDF is on MotoringFile if you need to print it out and show your sales manager.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:46 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I bet you dollars to doughnuts that Mini will say every second oil service as called for by the CBS indiacator. (computer based service)

Yes Mini will change your oil annually but that really doesn't count for the CBS system.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:47 PM
wloprete
1st Gear
i couldn't find the installation bulletin in MotoringFile; could you forward the link or point me in the right direction?

Old 06-28-2011, 05:44 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wloprete
i couldn't find the installation bulletin in MotoringFile; could you forward the link or point me in the right direction?
Details on the spark plug replacement interval is in this document:
http://motoringfile.com/howto/JCW_De...talled_Kit.pdf

Found it until the DYI section of MotoringFile.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:40 AM
wloprete
1st Gear
Thanks so much for taking the time to track this down for me. My experience with MINI continues to amaze:
- the dealer (WestchesterMini) refuses to acknowledge the recommendations of the manufacturer to change the plugs, even though it is clearly and emphatically stated on a label in the engine compartment and in the installation instructions. Their position is that there are not enough miles on the car, even though the maintenance procedure is driven by oil service requirements.
- I contacted MINI Customer Relations and was stunned to be told that they rely on their servicing dealers to manage these issues. Brilliant: I have a conflict between what the manufacturer says and what the dealer says, so the solution is to sort it out with the dealer on my own?
This is the same dealer that did not want to cover an oil service under warranty because my appointment (which they scheduled!) was 9 days short of a full year.
There's more, but it no longer matters.
MINI's cavalier attitude is not for me.
I'm done.