R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Trade my R53 for R56 or VW R32?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:45 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinC
I'm laughing so hard at that misguided comment that I can't see straight. Where the heck did you pick up that astonomically inaccurate number? Curb weight in US trim was 3409 lbs. Source (one of zillions with similar numbers) here:

http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Car.php?carnumber=408

I had a Mk4 and it was an AWESOME car. The 24-valve VR6 is a sweet motor, though heavy and a bit underpowered for its displacement (240 hp). That car would outhandle my H&R cup kit-equipped R56 any day of the week.
Whoops, fat-fingered the first digit. Nice mature response though.

The point still stands, however. The MkIV R32 weighs more than a Passat variant. Despite what you feel is laughable, the facts are the facts. The MkIV R32 is an overweight, overpriced pig.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:52 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SooperCuperErik
DSG is amazing, and I can't believe anyone would call it slow. Yes, I love rowing my gears and would certainly prefer a clutch, but anything without a clutch I would choose DSG. Even the new 8spd transmissions audi/bmw/merc is using are very fast, as I've driven a 35i and 2.0T B8A4 with them, but the DSG is noticeably quicker still.
I respectfully disagree. My GTI had a DSG and my A4 Avant has the 8-speed Tip. The GTI got boring VERY quickly and the Tip is not only boring but it's downright dangerous with the HORRIBLE lag (2 full seconds) after slowing but not stopping. I've nearly been t-boned and sideswiped in the last couple of weeks because of that stupid and unnecessary delay. The shifts, up and down, and fairly quick to respond to the paddles but there is a delay when using the shifter in manual mode and the shifts themselves are agonizingly slow, especially compared to the DSG. That tranny is why I'm selling my '11 Avant and going to a JCW, or possibly a 328i Touring. I can deal with a lack of power but that transmission is just terrible and inexcusable on a $50K car. A DSG or a real manual would make a HUGE improvement in drivability, especially on the Ring.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:52 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by quality_sound
I respectfully disagree. My GTI had a DSG and my A4 Avant has the 8-speed Tip. The GTI got boring VERY quickly and the Tip is not only boring but it's downright dangerous with the HORRIBLE lag (2 full seconds) after slowing but not stopping. I've nearly been t-boned and sideswiped in the last couple of weeks because of that stupid and unnecessary delay. The shifts, up and down, and fairly quick to respond to the paddles but there is a delay when using the shifter in manual mode and the shifts themselves are agonizingly slow, especially compared to the DSG. That tranny is why I'm selling my '11 Avant and going to a JCW, or possibly a 328i Touring. I can deal with a lack of power but that transmission is just terrible and inexcusable on a $50K car. A DSG or a real manual would make a HUGE improvement in drivability, especially on the Ring.
I'm not a DSG fan...its boring and on paper it might say it shifts fast, but it always seems like it doesn't.

As far as double-clutch boxes go....I think the best out there is the M-DCT gearbox from BMW, worlds better than DSG in my opinion. (At least the DSG that goes in the R32 and GTI). Ferrari's new double clutch on the 458 is pretty darn amazing too, but thats to be expected. They both act like a manual, as they should. DSG is too much like an automatic...no thanks.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:15 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
I dunno, I wasn't all that impressed with the M-DCT. It also fails. A lot. M3post is riddled with failures and when it fails it shuts the freakin car off!! Those stories and the terrible drive (especially in first gear in "creep" mode), and the much more engaging drive of the manual is why I went with a manual on my M3. Yes, the M-DCT is worlds faster but it's terrible to drive. :( Oh well, more money for other options!

Old 07-21-2011, 10:02 AM
VJD
1st Gear
FWIW, I've owned a '04 R32, '08 MCS, '08 R32 and now a '11 STI HB. Out of the previously owned bunch, my favorite fun-to-drive car was the '04 R32 followed by the '08 MCS. I traded the MCS in on a new '08 R32. Should have kept the MCS and installed poly suspension bushings and learned to live with the torque steer. My MCS was lightly modded with H&R coilovers and lightweight 18" wheels with PS2's. MCS was fun and returned fantastic gas mileage. I still miss the MCS.
Current STI, while not perfect, the bang-for-the-buck factor is high. It just needs a protune and maybe another 10 MPG

Old 09-08-2012, 11:10 AM
l3lackstatic
1st Gear
Ok sorry to bump a old thread guys, but my current situation is the opposite. I currently own a 2004 R32 and I am considering a '10 MCS clubman. I don't know what it is but every time I see one I get this longing feeling that I need to have one..... Am I having a case of the Grass is greener or should I legitimately consider jumping over.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:10 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Having bounced in and out of a number of cars in the last few years (since 2007 I've had an 07 Rabbit, 08 GTI, 10 M3, 11 A4 Avant, 12 JCW Clubman, 12 Tundra, 13 Golf TDI) I can tell you that nothing felt quite like "home" until I got back into a VW. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my Clubbie but as fun and capable as it is something about it never felt quite right. It's hard to explain but if your'e a longtime VW guy you'll know what I mean. It might be worth waiting for the MkVII Golf R then deciding since the new MINI body will be out by then as well.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:10 AM
wakemini21
2nd Gear
I was in a similar situation on my first car. It was between a MCS or GTI. I test drove both. I lived them both. Both had ample power and drove well (even though I felt the mini took it in handling). I couldn't decide so I won't to the fact what's easier/better to mod? Now I live in south Florida and there are VWs everywhere! There are a lot of minis but barley any modded. At the end of the day I choose the mini just because the fact that you and me both get get the exact same color mini and dress it up to look worlds apart. With a GTI what you change the rims? I love my MCS and I am looking on upgrading to a JCW. And by the way my friend got a GTI, we raced, I won all stock. You won't go wrong with mini. The power and handling are there. VWs are great cars too though! Good luck on your decision!

Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 AM
furry
1st Gear
That's interesting perspective. My car history is:
04' GTI (auto, first car, loved it)
07' Mazdaspeed3 (first 6 speed, fantastic handling, great power, but too jarring for everyday commuting, clutch was a bit heavy and engaged kinda high and was getting too tiresome in traffic)
04' 330i zhp (really well balanced car and looked great too, but the auto trans and 240hp just wasn't keeping me amused)
00' M5 (this was a car I wanted for a really long time, found a nice low mileage example, power is intoxicating, with a rsb handled really well for its size, and 6spd was very smooth, but long commute and practicality forced me to let it go since I wasn't taking full advantage of it)

Now I'm driving an 07' Corolla because I decided to take the focus off cars for a bit. But now that my commute is much shorter I cant seem to hold myself from another fun car. The mini has drawn me because of quirky styling, go-kart handling, and amazing gas mileage. Also this is still a budget car for me so I will be going the used route. The one thing I wasn't crazy about was the torque steer but I'm hoping the LSD and maybe some suspension mods will cure that. Also reliability is a definite issue in the years im looking at (07-09) but I'm not averse to spending on preventative maintenance and hope to get the major issues resolved once I find the right car. The 10' mcs that I drove had a pretty liveable clutch (light enough for my needs) so I'm hoping the earlier r56's are similar.

Will the Mini cure my car ADD? only time will tell....

Old 10-04-2012, 08:55 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I'm about a year late replying to this, but I have a '08 R32 and an '11 GTI currently. Came out of an '08 Cooper S. I love the R, it sounds glorious stock and ever better if you cut the mufflers out after the resonator. Super comfy long distances and the VR6 is bulletproof. Only downsides are weight and gas mileage. If you don't want to mod the engine much, it's a great stock package. If you want monster HP, there are FI kits ($$$).

Compared to a stock R56, I think it's more fun to drive. Stock R56 suspension isn't the greatest. Stock tires on both cars suck. My R56 had mods, so it's not really a fair comparison. Driving several hundred miles in the R is amazing. Super smooth and a nice quiet cabin. Gas mileage on the freeway at legal speeds is decent with the R, maybe 25-27 mpg at 65 mph versus about 30-32 mpg with the MINI. Driving short distances in the modded R56 was great, it felt like a more traditional driving experience.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 PM
AAONMS
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Traded a Mk IV R32 for my R56 JCW.
The R32 was flawless, not a single mechanical issue.
It was just about out of CPO warranty and I was concerned over expensed when I was on my own.
R32 had an Orange Haldex controller and REVO, but that was about it.
Wish I’d been able to run it on the Dragon.
When looking to trade the R32, drove a new GTI in manual as well as DSG.
I found the DSG to be quite competent, shifting faster than I can.
Am not a fan of the styling of the MkV R32.
I was hoping the new R was coming, but then VW announced it wasn’t so I ordered the JCW.
Less than a week later, VW reversed itself and announced the R was coming.
So far, 20 months, 31K miles, and three trips to the Dragon – all I can report is I am pleased with my decision to get the JCW.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:32 PM
l3lackstatic
1st Gear
Well update: I ended up selling the R32 in about a week, and bit the bullet , I am the proud owner of a 2010 R55 Clubman S . Upon reflection I was a little sad to let the R32 go, it was low mileage @ 55k and hadn't had any problems, but felt guilty killing it with daily driven mileage. The Clubman checked all the right boxes that I was looking for, fuel efficient, fun to drive, turbo (easily modifiable), and a not so dated interior, its also much more comfortable, although I do miss the Konig seats. Overall I think it was a smart move for the time being and maybe in a couple years when I am yearning for AWD, Ill jump in a JCW Countryman, thanks for the input

Old 10-04-2012, 08:12 PM
AAONMS
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great choice!
Hope you have as much fun with your MINI as I am.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:59 PM
VJD
1st Gear
I owned a 2004 R32 and later a 2008 R32. Should have never let the 2004 R go. In a nutshell, the 2008 R32 felt top heavy and sluggish. Sold it after having it for a year.

Check out a 2012/13 GTI. Excellent all-around driver that responds well to a tune. Base models are reasonably priced...IMO.

Just in case you start looking at Subies; recommend you skip over 2011-12 WRX's/STI's if handling matters to you. Quirky freeway speed handling. WRX has a killer motor with an ok factory tune. 2011 STI needs a tune right off the showroom floor.

Good luck!