R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2012 Changes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:19 AM
saywhaat04
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Changes...

Hey guys, anybody know where I can find the changes to the 2012 Cooper and Clubman? I've searched and can't seem to find any info on the changes in pricing and packaging. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is pretty amazing to me that 2012's have been available to order for almost a full 4 weeks now, and the configurator is still not up!

I feel your pain about availability of the package info, it's pretty poor at best.

Here are the packages for 2012:

JCW Appearance Package ($2000)
includes JCW aero with body-color trim/wheel arches (EDIT: BODY COLOR TRIM NOT STANDARD), challenge wheels, interior accents
*note this package deletes paddle shifters on auto transmission*

Premium ($1750)
Alarm $500
Comfort Access $500
Chrome Line Interior $250
Auto-dim RVM $250
Rain Sensor $250
Auto-AC $500

Technology Package ($1750)
Armrest $250
Park Distance Control $500
HK Sound System $750
Mini Connected $1000, or $1750 if you add Nav

I will try to help if you have any other questions!
j

Last edited by Subzero; 08-15-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:25 AM
geotig
Neutral
Funny you ask, I've been asking the same of my MA for the last two weeks and his reply yesterday came back with the options that we built instead of pricing and package answer. When I originally built the car with him in early June, all the pricing came up as blocked, so yesterday was the first time I heard about prices and the car is already being built!!

On a side note, he mentioned all builds have been 2012 since late April, so MINI has had ample time to update the website...

Old 07-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
That's wierd about the April date. The only reason I say that is because Sewell in Plano TX was taking orders for 2011 all the way through the week of June 20-24. The dealer even said that all orders for 2011 that week were rejected and had to have customers come back in and re-order 2012s. In fact, the package info I typed in this thread is straight from the dealers internal memo that they happened to get on Thursday June 23 when I was at the dealership. I waited until Saturday the 25th to order because the dealers computers still hadn't been updated until then.
Wierd...
j

Old 07-20-2011, 11:09 AM
geotig
Neutral
I agree with the April thing being wierd, but I didn't question him about it since it wasn't relevant. I think I was in there at least a week if not two before you ordered yours and the prices were blocked.

I forgot to mention the base prices went up $100 since they are now including floor mats as standard (not sure which) and the premium package no longer includes Sunroof.

Also from my build list (and I think all are same prices as 2011),

Automatic $1250
Leather Punch Carbon Black $1500
Universal Garage Door Opener $250
Black Headlight Housings $100
Interior Mirror with Compass $100
Xenon Headlights $500
White Turn Signal Lights $100

Old 08-08-2011, 05:37 AM
erbn
Neutral
I was using the MINIUSA configurator last night and I noticed something new.

When you configure a MCS and choose the JCW Package ($2000), you now have the option to "edit package options" and choose the 17" JCW Challenge Spoke wheel in black.

Is this new for 2012? Last month when I spoke to my MA at the dealership he told me that the black Challenge wheel was exclusive to the JCW Factory car.

Has anyone successfully ordered the 17" Black Challenge wheel from the factory?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:46 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
Not so much a change, but a warning to those ordering the JCW tuning kit for a 2012 MCS. The tuning kit ECU flash is incompatible with the new software on the 2012. Unfortunately, nobody realized this until my exhaust and intake were already installed on the car. The dealership is working with engineers to manually reprogram my software to accept the tuning kit with no luck so far. My car arrived at the dealer 8 days ago, and they say they will hopefully have a solution today.

I just wanted to put out a warning, because the car is undriveable until the software gets corrected.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:10 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Subzero
*note this package deletes paddle shifters on auto transmission*
That's weird!! Why would they delete paddle shifters because of an appearance package? Am I missing something?

Not so much a change, but a warning to those ordering the JCW tuning kit for a 2012 MCS. The tuning kit ECU flash is incompatible with the new software on the 2012. Unfortunately, nobody realized this until my exhaust and intake were already installed on the car. The dealership is working with engineers to manually reprogram my software to accept the tuning kit with no luck so far. My car arrived at the dealer 8 days ago, and they say they will hopefully have a solution today.

I just wanted to put out a warning, because the car is undriveable until the software gets corrected.

From previous experience, I can tell you that Mini is pretty good at getting this kind of stuff fixed. Can't fix a damn timing chain tensioner but they're great at fixing car down problems. (several times now)

Mark

Old 08-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
Hey OC! The reason the paddle shifters are missing is because the appearance package adds the actual JCW steering wheel, which is of course from a manual-only vehicle. It's simply because they don't make a JCW wheel with paddles. Not a bad tradeoff though, as you can still use the gear selector in the same fashion as the paddles. Curiously though, you also lose the red stitching for the auto gear selector and E-brake handle.

And as far as the Tuning Kit issue, I have full confidence that they will resolve the issue. The dealership and the whole staff have been ace so far and have been up front with communication. Plus I didn't expect to have my car for a few weeks anyways at the time of order. They did hook me up with a free JCW strut brace, so not all is lost! It looks sick!

Cheers,
Jon

Old 08-09-2011, 08:08 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Hey OC! The reason the paddle shifters are missing is because the appearance package adds the actual JCW steering wheel, which is of course from a manual-only vehicle. It's simply because they don't make a JCW wheel with paddles. Not a bad tradeoff though, as you can still use the gear selector in the same fashion as the paddles. Curiously though, you also lose the red stitching for the auto gear selector and E-brake handle.

And as far as the Tuning Kit issue, I have full confidence that they will resolve the issue. The dealership and the whole staff have been ace so far and have been up front with communication. Plus I didn't expect to have my car for a few weeks anyways at the time of order. They did hook me up with a free JCW strut brace, so not all is lost! It looks sick!

Cheers,
Jon
Jon,

WOW, you get a JCW steering wheel included??? That's a HELL of a deal. The kit, Challenge wheels, arches and a steering wheel for 2K???

That's a great deal!

Mark

Old 08-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
Yea it almost seems too good to be true. It's an unbelievable value when you consider what the Challenge Wheels/Aero/Steering Wheel would have cost you a-la-carte not all that long ago! Hooray!

Note about the painted arches...3 people at the dealership told me that they would come in body color (I ordered MB/MB). When the car showed up, they were the standard black trim. They said if I had ordered another color than black, then they would have been in body color, so I cannot confirm or deny what the actual situation is there...

Jon

Old 08-09-2011, 09:51 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Whoa, I had no clue that the body color wheel arches are included in the JCW package (along with the wheels). That's a pretty good deal compared to before. BTW the configurator for the Coupe is running for 2012 model.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:03 AM
erbn
Neutral
Yea it almost seems too good to be true. It's an unbelievable value when you consider what the Challenge Wheels/Aero/Steering Wheel would have cost you a-la-carte not all that long ago! Hooray!

Note about the painted arches...3 people at the dealership told me that they would come in body color (I ordered MB/MB). When the car showed up, they were the standard black trim. They said if I had ordered another color than black, then they would have been in body color, so I cannot confirm or deny what the actual situation is there...

Jon
I hope that isn't true about the painted arches. I'm ordering an Eclipse Gray MCS with the JCW package and I want the matte black arches

Old 08-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
Yeah please don't take what I said as law, as I'm just repeating what I was told. To me, it seemed unlikely that they would come colored. I wasn't originally convinced they would, and my MB car came with the stock black plastic arches as I suspected.

Interestingly, there *are* line items in the 2012 parts list that specify colored arches, that I have seen myself. Whether it's supposed to be standard is anyone's guess. If anyone finds out, let me know!

Jon

Old 08-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Roundel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by erbn
I hope that isn't true about the painted arches. I'm ordering an Eclipse Gray MCS with the JCW package and I want the matte black arches
If you're anywhere near me we can trade.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:47 AM
erbn
Neutral
Originally Posted by erbn
I was using the MINIUSA configurator last night and I noticed something new.

When you configure a MCS and choose the JCW Package ($2000), you now have the option to "edit package options" and choose the 17" JCW Challenge Spoke wheel in black.

Is this new for 2012? Last month when I spoke to my MA at the dealership he told me that the black Challenge wheel was exclusive to the JCW Factory car.

Has anyone successfully ordered the 17" Black Challenge wheel from the factory?
My MA contacted MINI on this issue, and apparently it's an error on the configurator. The black challenge wheels are only available from the factory on the factory JCW car, not with the JCW appearance package.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:42 AM
CharlieSlasher
Neutral
Yeah please don't take what I said as law, as I'm just repeating what I was told. To me, it seemed unlikely that they would come colored. I wasn't originally convinced they would, and my MB car came with the stock black plastic arches as I suspected.

Interestingly, there *are* line items in the 2012 parts list that specify colored arches, that I have seen myself. Whether it's supposed to be standard is anyone's guess. If anyone finds out, let me know!

Jon

The $2000 JCW kit option is the basic JCW kit which does not come with colored wheel arches or painted sills. They are black plastic.

Last edited by CharlieSlasher; 08-15-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Subzero
4th Gear
Yeah I guess you have to specify if you want colored arches. I did get a JCW parts brochure that has pics and write-ups of every JCW option. There is a pic of colored arches and it says something like "for those who can't get enough of their body color". So while apparently they are available, they aren't standard. I edited my first post to reflect this as to avoid confusion.

Thanks!
Jon

Old 08-18-2011, 11:50 AM
tc06
Neutral
The combo of xenon headlights/white turn signals/black housings was $600 for the 2011 MCS. Anyone know if it's the same case for 2012 models?

Old 08-18-2011, 11:53 AM
erbn
Neutral
Originally Posted by tc06
The combo of xenon headlights/white turn signals/black housings was $600 for the 2011 MCS. Anyone know if it's the same case for 2012 models?
For 2012:

Xenon - $500
White Turns - $100
Black Headlight Housings - $100

Old 08-18-2011, 01:33 PM
tc06
Neutral
Thanks erbn. Annoyed about the $100 increase for what seems to be no reason...

Old 08-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
Tech prices have changed.

My 2012 had these packages:

MINI Connected with Navigation - $750
- Voice-Command
- Comfort Bluetooth and USB/iPod Adapter
- MINI Connected
- MINI Navigation System

Technology Package - $2000
- Center Armrest
- Park Distance Control (rear only)
- Harmon Kardon sound system

Also, they did away with the package that includes the sun roof...now you can just pay $1000 and get a sunroof. They said it has something to do with the Coupe not being able to have a sunroof...so it was easier to just break it away. I'm a little annoyed that the price actually went up by $1000 and I don't get comfort access! But I did get a bunch of other extras that aren't in the 2011 configuration (not sure if its because they are now standard or I just got lucky)....but I really would have preferred comfort access, auto dim etc over 17" run flats (even tho they do look really cool!)

Last edited by Gentlefury; 08-18-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Roundel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tc06
Thanks erbn. Annoyed about the $100 increase for what seems to be no reason...
Order the ZSP Sport package in an MCS and then pay the $100 extra.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Roundel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gentlefury
Tech prices have changed.

My 2012 had these packages:

MINI Connected with Navigation - $750
- Voice-Command
- Comfort Bluetooth and USB/iPod Adapter
- MINI Connected
- MINI Navigation System

Technology Package - $2000
- Center Armrest
- Park Distance Control (rear only)
- Harmon Kardon sound system

Also, they did away with the package that includes the sun roof...now you can just pay $1000 and get a sunroof. They said it has something to do with the Coupe not being able to have a sunroof...so it was easier to just break it away. I'm a little annoyed that the price actually went up by $1000 and I don't get comfort access! But I did get a bunch of other extras that aren't in the 2011 configuration (not sure if its because they are now standard or I just got lucky)....but I really would have preferred comfort access, auto dim etc over 17" run flats (even tho they do look really cool!)
I would never have built your car that way, knowing that if it were me I'd do the standard wheels and upgrade aftermarket but I'm a weirdo. It's pretty uncommon to see 17"s on an MC.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:12 AM
bakesonaplane
2nd Gear
Just as a note, if you go on to miniusa.com and configure a new 2012 Coupe, it will show you the correct packages and pricing for options for any of the new 2012's. So even though the configurator isn't up for all of the new 12's, the coupe has all of the correct changes.

Quick Reply: R56 2012 Changes...