R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 fork mounted or touring rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:33 PM
jeepwidow
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fork mounted or touring rack

I'm getting ready to purchase the factory mini rack to carry my mountain bike or two (usually just mine). I was wondering which type of mount you guys like. The fork mounted one or the touring one with front wheel on. Also what you think are pros and cons of each.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:24 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use RockyMount wheel off trays with their Euromount heads. I trimmed off about 4" of the trays in the back so the hatch could still open, be sure to measure with your bike on before doing this. The tray is then bolted to the rack both front and back using hardware supplied with the trays. I just don't like the wheel-on upright mounts on the roof. I carry my wheels in bags in the car to keep things clean.

Attached Thumbnails fork mounted or touring rack-img_0318.jpg  
Old 08-12-2011, 12:21 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer the look of the fork mount but it is extra work removing the wheel and storing. You would have to store the wheel in the car or have a front wheel mount on the roof. Big issue I see is that when the bike is not mounted, the front wheel mount will have to be removed before going into a garage like I would do.

The touring mounts seem to just fold flat when the bike is removed, so probably big bonus there.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:08 PM
jeepwidow
1st Gear
I agree I do like the fork mount look a little better but storing the wheel inside the car does not seem like the best way to do things. I like the bag idea to keep thing clean because that did cross my mind as mud can often become part of the ride. mtbscott where did you get your bag? Is it made for the wheels?

Also does anyone know if there is a significant mileage change from one mount to the other? I don't think they will be but you never know with these itty bitty motors.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:51 PM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer fork mount for it's stability.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:21 PM
CharlieSlasher
Neutral
Well I'll definitely vote against fork mount.

Unless you only ever ride a quick release front wheel mountain bike, I wouldnt consider going that route. Even when I did, it's a hassle to remove the wheel.

I prefer bike carriers that keep the wheel on because they can hold any type of bike. They are also sturdier as most (like Thule and Yakima) are able to hold 50lb downhill mountain bikes and I've never had a problem mounting two such bikes to one (other than lifting 50lbs above my head).

Old 08-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in Colorado as I right this. My bike has ridden the last 3200 miles from Florida and all over snuggly nested in a Thule fork mount with the front wheel on a single holder on the opposite side.

I turned the handlebars into the wind to minimize drag and stuck the seatpost and seat in the back end so that it would'nt get wet.

The bike never moved, and the noise is minimal. For my money, the fork mount is the only way to go unless you have a pickup truck.

BTW -- this is my third trip out here with the same rack -- twice with a road bike and this time with a full-suspension mountain bike.

And most of the rack manufacturers offer 15mm adaptors for the straight thru front axle guys (I'm not there yet, 9mm QRs on mine, but I did go to a Fox fork).

Old 08-16-2011, 06:07 AM
MeanAndMellowMINI
2nd Gear
Oh my goodness please don't get the touring rack. It is frustrating as hell and oftentimes feels like your bike is unstable. I would go aftermarket if you want that style rack. I have put various mountain bikes and road bikes on my 2 touring racks so I know. I have to use bungee cords or they shake a lot up there. My touring racks are currently dismounted and if I got back into cycling full time I would ditch them to look for another option.

Fork mounts are great but of course you have to deal with putting the wheel somewhere. DON'T go with a Yakima(or similar) trunk rack, they are very unstable with the steep angle of the hatch. Those are designed for a traditional style trunk and shift around on the boot. That's another story but I quickly got rid of mine after a couple of trips.

Trust me, this is coming from a very frustrated person with miles of experience.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:55 AM
jeepwidow
1st Gear
This is all great feedback so thank you. Sounds like the majority of you like to fork mount and I'm glad I asked because originally I was leaning towards touring style. Now that I found the optional wheel mount, I like that style better as it still keeps everything up top.

Who's fork mount do you like the best for the factory mini rack? Mini, Yakima, Thule, or something else?

Old 08-16-2011, 07:13 AM
jeepwidow
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CharlieSlasher
Well I'll definitely vote against fork mount.

Unless you only ever ride a quick release front wheel mountain bike, I wouldnt consider going that route. Even when I did, it's a hassle to remove the wheel.

I prefer bike carriers that keep the wheel on because they can hold any type of bike. They are also sturdier as most (like Thule and Yakima) are able to hold 50lb downhill mountain bikes and I've never had a problem mounting two such bikes to one (other than lifting 50lbs above my head).
What size tires do you run on your bike? Right now my rear is a 2.35 and I'm curious if it would fit a 2.5 or more from a downhill bike.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:17 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeepwidow
This is all great feedback so thank you. Sounds like the majority of you like to fork mount and I'm glad I asked because originally I was leaning towards touring style. Now that I found the optional wheel mount, I like that style better as it still keeps everything up top.

Who's fork mount do you like the best for the factory mini rack? Mini, Yakima, Thule, or something else?

There is little difference between Thule and Yakima, I chose Thule largely based on looks. I like it a lot, and it has many thousands of miles on it with both road bikes and now mountain bikes. My road bike weighs about 17 lbs, my mountain bike weighs about 28. You quickly learn where to grasp the bike to swing it smoothly up onto the rail. Its easy after about three times.

One more thing I did, not really essential, but I found that the rail was a bit long and it hit the rear window of the hatch when I opened it, so I cut about 7 or 8 inches off the back of mine to allow the hatch to clear it. Its easy to do, its soft aluminum, and there is a plastic cover thing that just pops back in to finish it all off again once its trimmed off.

I bought the locking skewer for mine -- it allows a bit of security when you wander into a shop or something else. I do not leave the bike on the rack overnight.

I obviously also bought the front wheel holder to put on the opposite side of the rack. It gets the wheel up and away from the stuff inside.

I measured everything carefully on this trip and I find that the bike on top cuts my fuel mileage by about 3 mpg. In high wind, it goes down a bit more. It also adds a bit of wind noise, but after a few miles its no longer noticeable.

I also bought the little "spoiler" thing that goes across the top of the windshield to cut drag a bit. I think its cool looking (makes me look like the cars in the Tour de France) but its probably of very little value. It does seems to deflect bugs up and away from the bike though.

Good luck in your choice.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:14 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you look closely at my picture you'll see I have a Yakima forkmount adaptor, my Fox fork is 15mm thru axle. If you have 26" mtb or road wheels, there are tons of wheelbags available online or at your local bikeshop. It was a little harder to find ones big enough for my 29er wheels, but Mavic makes a square one that fits.
Not to disrespect anyone's opinions, but my bikes are treated as my babies, just like my cars are. They are high end for their intended uses and I want them as secure as possible. I still believe forkmounts are the most tried and true method of mounting, and having one or two wheelbags in your car does not hog up all of the available space. I have a hitchmount rack (not currently in use) that has touring style wheel holders, but I trust them a little more behind the car as opposed to on my roof.
Yakima, Thule, and Rockymount all make trays that will work on the euro/aero bars of the MINI OEM rack. I got the Rockymounts because they're red!

Old 08-16-2011, 09:14 PM
putt_putt79
1st Gear
Gotta go with the fork mount rack - they are much more stable and in my opinion they look better. I love my Rocky Mounts - they are a very nice racking system for a reasonable price, they have a huge color variety to choose from, they are out of Colorado and their Customer Service is seriously second to none.

My current set up is red Rocky Mount Euro racks with Thule wheel holders. None of the hardware shows and makes for a very clean look.

Last edited by putt_putt79; 08-16-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 AM
jeepwidow
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
Not to disrespect anyone's opinions, but my bikes are treated as my babies, just like my cars are.
Totally understand. For towing my jeep, its worth it to invest in a good trailer, tires, and tie downs. Last thing I want to do is drop my jeep which is worth far more than a cheap set of tie downs.

Originally Posted by mtbscott
I got the Rockymounts because they're red!

Putt_putt79 I do like your setup. To save money I might start with carrying the wheel inside. If I start to take the mini on the long trips (couple trips with mini vs a truck might pay for it) where I need the space I'll look into the mounts. You are correct, it does look good with them mounted like that.

Fantastic feedback everyone thanks