R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 T'was fun while it lasted.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 AM
Clin10
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Minibeagle
I may be wrong, but I believe the OP stated in another thread that he deals in used cars and that he picked up the car at a used car dealer / vendor auction. I have no experience with these auctions and could be wrong, but I believe the cars there are bought at purchaser's risk.
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Not only that, he was bragging about how he was going to turn a profit (easily no less) on the MINI when he sold it.
With that stated, he might as well just get a japanese car, lol. That way, in case he buys another car that was previously neglected, or wants to abuse a car, it'll cost 1/3rd less. The only somewhat close, but definatly heavier compromise is an 07+ Honda Civic Si or maybe a Ford Focus SVT.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:48 AM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From my experiences. Dealers are in business to do one thing, make money. Years ago my daughter wanted an Acura Legend. We found one at what I thought was a reputable used car dealer. Well, after about two weeks of driving, the motor blew. We had it towed to the local acura dealer only to find out from the service department that they knew it needed a motor rebuild and instead of sending it to the junk yard they doctored up the motor and once we changed the oil!!!! When I questioned them, they stated why did you buy it. I had no recourse. The lawas are written only to protect the consumer on new cars. My daughter who was going to school was out $2000 and I was not working at the time. She was pissed to say the least.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mrluckypa
From my experiences. Dealers are in business to do one thing, make money.
Isn't that the point of all businesses? Otherwise it's a charity.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:57 AM
ZeR0 EVOlution
2nd Gear
Alright, to cover all the responses in this thread:

The E90 335i with the N55 engine has a single turbo, it was original N54 that came with the twin-turbo setup. The N55 is more reliable, and I can pick it up under warranty. THAT'S why I wanted one. The Mini, not so much. I picked it up out of warranty hoping it wouldn't be a headache, but it's not much of a big deal.

Second, I'm not buying a Honda. I've owned an SVT Focus already, it was a great car, but the interior was the worst quality I could have ever asked for. No thank you. My Jeep was the same thing. I like European cars, but this is just one of the things I'll deal with as I own them. My car list thus far consists mainly of European cars, and I've owned 6 cars to date at 24, so I'm willing to take the blows as they come. Am I unhappy? Sure. But my 02 ML320 had no problems what-so-ever, and any problems it may potentially have had were covered under warranty so I dgaf'd.

To the smart-*** mocking my "turn a profit" comment, that was before I knew about the issues at hand. Am I heart broken that I could have made money on this car? Sure. Again, do I care? Not really. It's just money, guys. It comes and goes. I've had a really successful life thus far, have made more money than most people do at 40, so I'm not too far from the truth when I say I'll get more of it some time down the road. So I'm in college right now. If I wasn't paying $30k a year for school, I'd easily just drop the money for the repairs + an extended warranty and be on my way. Simple as that. It's not the fact that the car required $4k to repair, it was the fact that the car needed the $4k when I'd rather it just drove back and forth without any problems, especially as an 07.

As for buying a Honda, no thanks. I know they're reliable, but the cars are not presentable. You guys have probably never been to Glendale, CA, and as such you won't understand. I'm not going to go into detail, but if I can't go to a business meeting and feel confident in the car I'm driving, I'm not going to buy it. Reliability is key for a car I own, but it's not the MOST important factor for me. Like I said, money will always be there.

Next on my list is the C230, but I'm CONTEMPLATING a Cadillac CTS V8 (post facelift). The thing has a pushrod V8 which I can disassemble myself, it's a Cadillac so it's going to be as reliable as any American car, and the tech on the car isn't so crazy that the car is going to take a dive randomly for one reason or another. It's got a bigger engine, sure, but the engine is tried and true. I'm not TOO keen on the fact that it's a Cadillac, but the name of the game is find something under warranty or something that has ease of maintenance.

So my options are an E90 N55 335i under warranty, C230 (there are literally a hundred Benz mechanics within a stones throw from me, all indy, so I'm set on repairs and good deals), or a Cadillac CTS. I've also considered a G35 sedan, post facelift, because I've heard good things about those cars as well. Let's see what the tides bring in.

Regardless, I don't have a car starting Tuesday, and I HOPE to see a new car by Thursday. You concerns are valid, but they're white people concerns. "RELIABILITY! GET A HONDA!" I'm not white, I'm not going to drive a Honda. I've worked my *** off my entire life to buy a German car, and I KNEW that German cars would be more of a headache than American or Japanese cars, but it's just that: a headache. Nothing a couple of Advil and a small nap can't fix. Good luck to the next guy that gets this car, I honestly hope it's the same dealership that gave me that stupid $4k price tag. That'll be some bitchin' karma.

Ciao for now.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
Regardless, I don't have a car starting Tuesday, and I HOPE to see a new car by Thursday. You concerns are valid, but they're white people concerns. "RELIABILITY! GET A HONDA!" I'm not white, I'm not going to drive a Honda. I've worked my *** off my entire life to buy a German car, and I KNEW that German cars would be more of a headache than American or Japanese cars, but it's just that: a headache. Nothing a couple of Advil and a small nap can't fix. Good luck to the next guy that gets this car, I honestly hope it's the same dealership that gave me that stupid $4k price tag. That'll be some bitchin' karma.
WTF does that mean? Who gives a **** if your white or not? Why did you have to get all racist?

You started this by saying, I am a student and I can't afford my MINI, so I'm gonna get a BMW or Mercedes!! You are ignorant friend.

You haven't worked your whole life for ANYTHING, you are 24 years old!!! You haven't even worked HALF YOUR LIFE! When I was a student I rode the bus every day.....and I'm white (since that is so important to you!).

I own a MINI now, because I am an adult and can afford adult things. A 24 year old student, in my opinion, is still a kid! I live in LA, I get all the spoiled rich kids that don't understand the meaning of money...but come on! I drove a toyota for 5 years! It was cheap and extremely reliable! It would have been very irresponsible of me to say...oooo it's just not cool enough...I need to drive a BMW and not know if I can pay rent...but hey, I'm white...what would I know about these problems.

I came up from NOTHING! When I was 24 out of college I was barely making $25K a year....now I can clear $133k. You obviously have NO idea what struggling is, and it sounds like you need to learn a little bit of humility.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:21 AM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
I fully understand your frustration. Been there done that. I agree that you need to get a car that will give you the least amount of trouble. I personally wouldn't touch another GM (garbage machine) product ever again. They cut too many corners and when you get to about 65K they start to fall apart. Ford (not much better) chrysler (I just don't know but I like the 300's with a hemi and many Mercedes E class parts) Now here's a gamble Fiat 500. Toyota and Honda no way no how. Subaru, Nissan and Mazda maybe!!!! Hyundai perhaps. Spent the last 5 months car shopping and am ready to take delivery of our MINI in maybe three weeks. It's awaiting transport. Good luck with what ever you do.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:29 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Man, you sound really pretentious. I've made so much money blah blah business meeting blah blah Glendale, etc. Yawn.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Neitherfanboy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ZeR0 EVOlution
You concerns are valid, but they're white people concerns. "RELIABILITY! GET A HONDA!" I'm not white, I'm not going to drive a Honda.
Wow. I never knew there were "white people concerns" regarding cars versus "non-white people" concerns. Or that non-whites couldn't drive a Honda. Learn something new everyday!

Old 08-22-2011, 12:09 PM
callahan00
5th Gear
After reading this thread, all I can say is dude, you need to get control of your attitude. I'm not sure what you do for a living, but what you drive up in really makes little difference to a client, unless you're a pimp or drug dealer.

The comments you made "I've made more money than most 40 year olds" and "...but they're white people concerns. "RELIABILITY! GET A HONDA!" .I'm not white, I'm not going to drive a Honda" really illustrates how immature you really are. You are a poser my friend. And no. I've never been to Glendale. And I doubt you would ever be caught dead in "Fly over country" of the midwest, so I don't know what it means to drive something as low-life as a domestic or Japanese car in Glendale. I just swoon when I hear Glendale California. Its attitudes like yours that gives the rest of the country a bad taste in their mouths for uppity snobs in California. OOO. Glendale. La-Dee-F**king-Da.

"Whaaaaaaaaa. Booooo Hooooooo. I WANT a BMW. Everyone in Glennnnndale will think I'm scum if I don't have European car." You sound like a spoiled rotten little rich kid. You may have money. but no respect. It is the "I want it and I want it NOW" attitude that put this nation on the brink of bankruptcy.

I'm sure you have money. It sounds as thought Mommy and Daddy have take care of you quite well You'll never be rich until you discover the VALUE of money instead of throwing it around like peices of paper. As you get older you'll learn that the only person you impress by tossing you money around is yourself. It souns like you need to grow up and be a man. Not a man-child.

By the way I drive a used Honda Accord Coupe right now after my JCW was totaled in a rollover. I am waiting for a 2012 JCW Roadster and I can afford a new car and don't have to be a poser by buying something used to make everyone think I have money. But in your little demented world, the only thing that would make me whiter is driving a Volvo station Wagon. Jerk.

As a MAWG [Middle Age White Guy], if I said something as racial as "I'm not black..." or I'm not hispanic....." etc, I would be accused of being a racist but I guess you feel you can get away with it. Your racially charged comments proved that you don't have to be white to be a racist pig.

Did your arrogance **** me off? you bet it did. Me and a bumch of other members of this site. And as for selling you MINI and leaving the MINI family, I say good riddance. It can't happen soon enough

Originally Posted by ZeR0 EVOlution
Alright, to cover all the responses in this thread:

The E90 335i with the N55 engine has a single turbo, it was original N54 that came with the twin-turbo setup. The N55 is more reliable, and I can pick it up under warranty. THAT'S why I wanted one. The Mini, not so much. I picked it up out of warranty hoping it wouldn't be a headache, but it's not much of a big deal.

Second, I'm not buying a Honda. I've owned an SVT Focus already, it was a great car, but the interior was the worst quality I could have ever asked for. No thank you. My Jeep was the same thing. I like European cars, but this is just one of the things I'll deal with as I own them. My car list thus far consists mainly of European cars, and I've owned 6 cars to date at 24, so I'm willing to take the blows as they come. Am I unhappy? Sure. But my 02 ML320 had no problems what-so-ever, and any problems it may potentially have had were covered under warranty so I dgaf'd.

To the smart-*** mocking my "turn a profit" comment, that was before I knew about the issues at hand. Am I heart broken that I could have made money on this car? Sure. Again, do I care? Not really. It's just money, guys. It comes and goes. I've had a really successful life thus far, have made more money than most people do at 40, so I'm not too far from the truth when I say I'll get more of it some time down the road. So I'm in college right now. If I wasn't paying $30k a year for school, I'd easily just drop the money for the repairs + an extended warranty and be on my way. Simple as that. It's not the fact that the car required $4k to repair, it was the fact that the car needed the $4k when I'd rather it just drove back and forth without any problems, especially as an 07.

As for buying a Honda, no thanks. I know they're reliable, but the cars are not presentable. You guys have probably never been to Glendale, CA, and as such you won't understand. I'm not going to go into detail, but if I can't go to a business meeting and feel confident in the car I'm driving, I'm not going to buy it. Reliability is key for a car I own, but it's not the MOST important factor for me. Like I said, money will always be there.

Next on my list is the C230, but I'm CONTEMPLATING a Cadillac CTS V8 (post facelift). The thing has a pushrod V8 which I can disassemble myself, it's a Cadillac so it's going to be as reliable as any American car, and the tech on the car isn't so crazy that the car is going to take a dive randomly for one reason or another. It's got a bigger engine, sure, but the engine is tried and true. I'm not TOO keen on the fact that it's a Cadillac, but the name of the game is find something under warranty or something that has ease of maintenance.

So my options are an E90 N55 335i under warranty, C230 (there are literally a hundred Benz mechanics within a stones throw from me, all indy, so I'm set on repairs and good deals), or a Cadillac CTS. I've also considered a G35 sedan, post facelift, because I've heard good things about those cars as well. Let's see what the tides bring in.

Ciao for now.

Last edited by callahan00; 08-22-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:42 PM
callahan00
5th Gear
Gentlefury,

Well put.

Originally Posted by Gentlefury
WTF does that mean? Who gives a **** if your white or not? Why did you have to get all racist?

You started this by saying, I am a student and I can't afford my MINI, so I'm gonna get a BMW or Mercedes!! You are ignorant friend.

You haven't worked your whole life for ANYTHING, you are 24 years old!!! You haven't even worked HALF YOUR LIFE! When I was a student I rode the bus every day.....and I'm white (since that is so important to you!).

I own a MINI now, because I am an adult and can afford adult things. A 24 year old student, in my opinion, is still a kid! I live in LA, I get all the spoiled rich kids that don't understand the meaning of money...but come on! I drove a toyota for 5 years! It was cheap and extremely reliable! It would have been very irresponsible of me to say...oooo it's just not cool enough...I need to drive a BMW and not know if I can pay rent...but hey, I'm white...what would I know about these problems.

I came up from NOTHING! When I was 24 out of college I was barely making $25K a year....now I can clear $133k. You obviously have NO idea what struggling is, and it sounds like you need to learn a little bit of humility.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:00 PM
CausticOne
1st Gear
Ditto on the Toyota/Honda business.

My first car was a 1988 Honda CRX which had like 170k miles on it when I bought it. Never broke down the three years I drove it all over San Diego for college and all the way home to Sacramento. That was when I was completely ignorant about things like oil level, oil changes and maintenance. Then I got a 1992 Toyota pick-up which had over 100k miles on it, never had an issue drove that back and forth from school to home for a couple of years and all over San Diego. Then I got a late 90's Toyota Celica - had a few issues, but nothing a new battery and starter didn't fix. Drove that through law school. Upon passing the bar, I leased a 2007 Audi A4 and when that ended, I leased a 2009 Audi A4. Now I'm married and my husband would prefer I purchased a car and we both figure you can't beat Japanese reliability. They last, they're cheap and they're good cars. (Somehow though, I ended up with a MINI. Mostly because in this economy, I want to be able to afford my car payment if I suddenly lose my job (my firm pays for my car), hence no Lexus IS350.)

When you're in school - and I've had lots of school! Reliability is as good as a good night of sleep. Whatever you buy, it's fine as long as it is practical and you can afford the emergencies. It is just most important to live within your means now so you can do what you want when you're done with school.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow this thread has become comical....

ZeRO EVO, I'm the same age as you...and you make yourself sound like a complete idiot. If you make so much money you wouldn't be on here complaining that you can't afford to fix your Mini. So instead you're going to go buy a more expensive car? Secondly, Glendale ain't all that...don't know why you're so worried about what car you pull up in. News flash, you drive a frickin MINI. My circle of friends and I have always grown up with nice vehicles, expensive schools, traveling the world...and I can't think of a single one that would come online and talk like you do. I've been around true "high society" my whole life...its the ones that insist on showing "how much money they make" that really don't have it....have some class man, you have a lot to learn.

And knowing that area as well as I do and how you're acting on here, I can easily tell what you are.... but unlike you, I will keep my racist comments to myself, jerk.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:56 PM
NoHoR56
2nd Gear
This is all ridiculous as hell but for those of us that live in Southern California the really priceless reference here is to "Glendale" as some sort of elite automotive zone where the price of admission is a European car. Lest you think I'm saying that as a snob I live in North Hollywood. (Which is no Glendale, believe me.) (Note sarcasm.)

Here's the only automotive cultural reference you need to know. And I quote from the musician Beck: "I pick you up late at night after work. I said lady step inside my Hyundai. I'm going to take you up to Glendale. Gonna take you for a real good meal. Like a fruit that's ripe for the pickin', I wouldn't do you like that. Zankou Chicken."

Wow.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NoHoR56
This is all ridiculous as hell but for those of us that live in Southern California the really priceless reference here is to "Glendale" as some sort of elite automotive zone where the price of admission is a European car. Lest you think I'm saying that as a snob I live in North Hollywood. (Which is no Glendale, believe me.) (Note sarcasm.)

Here's the only automotive cultural reference you need to know. And I quote from the musician Beck: "I pick you up late at night after work. I said lady step inside my Hyundai. I'm going to take you up to Glendale. Gonna take you for a real good meal. Like a fruit that's ripe for the pickin', I wouldn't do you like that. Zankou Chicken."

Wow.
HA PERFECT!

I live in Santa Clarita...and while its north valley outside the city it is nothing but Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, and other foreigns.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:07 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Sorry to hear. I do have to disagree on the money lost in a MINI. I bought my 2006 Cooper at $18,995 and trading it in last month at $12,000. I was amazed at how well it kept its value. Granted I only had 43,743 miles on it, but still...

Old 08-22-2011, 03:18 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Wow.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:01 PM
hbSean
2nd Gear
Just do what everyone else does in socal, lease a 335i or a A4/5 ( i'd go for a A6 imo)..

Old 08-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hbSean
Just do what everyone else does in socal, lease a 335i or a A4/5 ( i'd go for a A6 imo)..
That's pretty much why I have a MINI! All I see is 335i's on the road....so boring!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:59 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Hmmm. The original poster has been remarkably quiet considering his bravado. Maybe he is too busy maKing those lucrative business deals or cruising the streets of Glendale impressing everyone with his used car or maybe flahing his mega-buck wad of cash!!!!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:49 PM
ZeR0 EVOlution
2nd Gear

Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 PM
ZeR0 EVOlution
2nd Gear
I just had a lol-fest reading the responses. I legitimately can say that you guys get trolled PRETTY easily.

Love the guy who almost rage quit at the "white people" line. Listen guys, calm down. It's my car, it's my money, it's my life. Humility comes in many forms, and as far as I'm concerned, the internet is no place for you to gauge my level of humility. I don't copy/pasta my personality IRL onto the internet, I troll the **** out of it.

Anyway, I'm picking up my new car on Thursday. It may be a Honda, or it may be an Infiniti. Who knows.

And to the guy who said "if you make as much money as you do, blah blah blah," you apparently missed the part where I said I'm paying $30k a year for college.

That said, continue raging. You shouldn't feed the trolls, it's not good for your egos.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Post more memes, that should help you look clever.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:59 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
I've read the entire thread...Here's my 2cents...you guys should have realized this Bonehead wasn't worth your time!!

Old 08-23-2011, 10:07 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well. This has run past its course. Like a lame horse, this thread is done.