R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 re: Buying a 2009 Mini, haven't driven a manual trans in 8+ yrs

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:19 AM
jkylefulton
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Buying a 2009 Mini, haven't driven a manual trans in 8+ yrs

Hey there!

So, I'm purchasing the linked vehicle tomorrow:

http://www.motorcitymini.com/Vehicle...-MI/1124689853

The test drive was terrific, had a smile on my face the whole time (the ride is very similar to how I remember my first car). When I got home from the dealership, I did a few google searches, and "transmission problems" appear to be an issue (note - this isn't the "S" model, and it has a 6 speed manual).

So, possibly stupid question - could you describe the 'best' way to drive the manual transmission?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:45 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Not sure what you want to know....

Depress the clutch and the brake. If the engine is not running, press "start." Move the gear selector to "1," being careful not to enter the "R" gate. Slightly press the accelerator pedal while releasing the clutch pedal and brake. At about 2000 - 2500 RPM, ease up on the accelerator, depress the clutch and pull the gear selector to "2." Again, apply gas while releasing the clutch. At about 2000 - 2500 RPM, repeat the shifting process for gears 3, 4, 5, and 6. Cruising in 6th gear at 70 MPH, your RPM will be about 3000. This is normal.

As you brake to a stop, depress the clutch. Move the selector away from all numbers, to the neutral position. When you are ready to start again, follow the same procedure as in paragraph one.

NOTE: When you stop on a grade and are ready to launch, the MINI's Hill Assist will keep the brakes engaged for about 2 seconds while you follow the initial steps in paragraph one. If the grade is a steep one, you may want more than 2500 RPM.

These steps will yield good fuel economy and a pleasant drive. For more fun, worse fuel economy, and reduced engine life, increase the shift RPM to 4500 - 5000.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:50 AM
6speedwtneed
4th Gear
Okay for realistic daily driving....
Clutch pushed in. Put into first gear. Slowly release clutch pedal, when you feel it start to grab you give it the slightest amount of gas then you begin to go. When you are at 2.5-3k RPMs then you release the gas pedal and pushing in the clutch at the same time. Shift into second. And basically let it out and grab before giving gas just like take off, but the process has to be quicker for a smooth transition or else you'll get that mini-whip lash feel. That feel is from not giving it enough gas when letting the pedal out and the transmission is bogging down the engine.

And never over rev the gas pedal when changing gears (going higher rpms then needed) seen a lot of clutches burned up this way. And if you're new (which you are) and want real smooth shifts. Don't shift while accelerating. It's easier for a smooth shift when you get to about 3k rpms. Have it where you aren't accelerating anymore then do the shifting method. This decreases the whiplash because you are shifting from a coasting stand point and doesn't change the momentum of the vehicle much.

When it comes to slowing down. I just put the car and neutral and brake. But some people might argue to downshift through the gears (engine braking) and that wears your brakes less but I find it annoying to do in a car, it's good at autocross though. I only did downshifting in daily driving on my sport bike.

Hope this helps. This would be much easier to explain over the phone lol.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:55 AM
jkylefulton
Neutral
Are the manual transmission problems overblown, or a real concern? A random bill for $7200 wouldn't be much fun!

Old 08-21-2011, 07:58 AM
6speedwtneed
4th Gear
Manual trannys hold up way better than autos in these cars.
And most of the problems seem to be a release bearing on the clutch going bad.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:36 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you really want to get the feel for the clutch, train yourself to get the car rolling without using the gas pedal. This is how I was taught to drive stick and it was a huge help for me.

Go somewhere flat. Start the car in neutral. Clutch down, shift into first. Let the clutch pedal up as slowly as gently as you can. Feel the point where it begins to cause friction and make a mental note of where that is. Continue slowly, slowly letting up. The car will start rolling. The pedal is now all the way up. Now, give it some gas.

My driving instructor made me do this at a stop sign on "the steepest incline in the city" and forced me to practice until I could do it on a steep hill without stalling, not using the gas. Nailing this down will help avoid the risk of over-revving and slipping the clutch, causing premature wear. Of course in normal driving you will probably blip the throttle and rev it a little as you let up, but learning to operate the gas and clutch independently will help you understand your car more intimately.

Good luck and congratulations on your new car!

Old 08-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Neitherfanboy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
If you really want to get the feel for the clutch, train yourself to get the car rolling without using the gas pedal. This is how I was taught to drive stick and it was a huge help for me.
Seriously? I have never heard of doing this before, and been driving manual for 30 years. I'm gonna go try this in my 2009 MCS today, but am fairly sure the result will be ... it dies. If you let the clutch out with no gas, it dies. I think I have only had one car in my life with a clutch that easy, a Nissan Pulsar back in the day.

Have had my Mini since July of this year, so not long, and have found the clutch very touchy. Too little gas, and it lugs badly. Too much, and you chirp the wheels.

I seriously am gonna go try this "no gas at all" thing today. Just gotta know if it dies or not.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:36 AM
hipo_p51
1st Gear
did you mean to say 30 MINUTES??? anyways it works.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:40 AM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
15 years since I last drove a manual. Ordered my new Coupe manual cause I miss that little bit of control.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Neitherfanboy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hipo_p51
did you mean to say 30 MINUTES??? anyways it works.
Nope, I meant exactly what I said. 30 years. And I challenge you to come let the clutch out with no gas on my 88 Ford Ranger and see what you get.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:16 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
I guarantee if you can modulate gently enough, it won't stall. I have done it a thousand times on my r50. Idle revs should be enough to get you rolling. Slowly.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Neitherfanboy
3rd Gear
I guarantee if you can modulate gently enough, it won't stall. I have done it a thousand times on my r50. Idle revs should be enough to get you rolling. Slowly.
I'm gonna take your advice and try it.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:18 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
I should add it worked on a 2008 S as well.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:21 PM
NAPMINI
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jkylefulton
Hey there!

So, I'm purchasing the linked vehicle tomorrow:

http://www.motorcitymini.com/Vehicle...-MI/1124689853

The test drive was terrific, had a smile on my face the whole time (the ride is very similar to how I remember my first car). When I got home from the dealership, I did a few google searches, and "transmission problems" appear to be an issue (note - this isn't the "S" model, and it has a 6 speed manual).

So, possibly stupid question - could you describe the 'best' way to drive the manual transmission?
Hope you are not paying the full asking price of $20k for a 2009 Cooper... for that kind of money, you can get a 2009/2010 Cooper "S" with less than 15k miles...

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...ce&sf2Dir=DESC

Old 08-21-2011, 12:47 PM
6speedwtneed
4th Gear

I agree Danny. I was taught this way also. Doing it forward and backwards.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:13 PM
bakesonaplane
2nd Gear
If this didn't work, Auto tranny's would stall when you take your foot off the brake

It just slowly puts it into the idling state of the car. Same as in an Auto when you simply lift your foot off the brake and the car starts moving. The key part of this is the "if you can modulate gently enough". It's the same way you *should* learn how to ride a motorcycle. You need to learn how to let the clutch out first without stalling before you try adding the gas pedal into it. At least that's the best way. The absolutely biggest key to driving/riding with a manual transmission, is knowing the point where the clutch engages. Make sure you practice slow like dannyhavok said, and get a really good feel for where your clutch starts to bite (where the car starts to move) and you can slowly work in the gas pedal. Soon enough you'll be pulling off perfect launches from stop lights and blowing away everyone else.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:17 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bakesonaplane
If this didn't work, Auto tranny's would stall when you take your foot off the brake

It just slowly puts it into the idling state of the car. Same as in an Auto when you simply lift your foot off the brake and the car starts moving. The key part of this is the "if you can modulate gently enough". It's the same way you *should* learn how to ride a motorcycle. You need to learn how to let the clutch out first without stalling before you try adding the gas pedal into it. At least that's the best way. The absolutely biggest key to driving/riding with a manual transmission, is knowing the point where the clutch engages. Make sure you practice slow like dannyhavok said, and get a really good feel for where your clutch starts to bite (where the car starts to move) and you can slowly work in the gas pedal. Soon enough you'll be pulling off perfect launches from stop lights and blowing away everyone else.

Funny you should mention it, that is how I learned to ride a motorcycle as well You're right, mastering this will definitely help with aggressive launches.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:55 PM
jkylefulton
Neutral
I appreciate the responses, and will revise how I was driving the vehicle. My first car was an '85 Celica, which my Dad taught me to drive - and he always taught me to ride the clutch (which appears to be a huge no-no for this car). So I'll have to adjust how I brake, and how I start out of first gear. Luckily, my daily commute doesn't involve any hills, and is largely highway cruising.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:00 PM
jkylefulton
Neutral
Also, from reading some other posts on the board, it appears that....

- I always want to use at least 91 octane, but preferably 93 octane fuel from a 'top tier' vendor. I'm in mid-Michigan, so I'll have to settle for Shell (we don't have Chevrons).

- I should add a bottle of Techron to the gas tank every 5k miles or so?

- I should get an aftermarket engine shield (like this: http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=88988) to protect the engine from rocks/debris?

- I should get strut reinforcements (like this: http://www.mini-madness.com/madness-...-plates.aspx)?

- I should get the oil changed more often than the suggested service indicates?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:01 AM
JT///MC
3rd Gear
Depress clutch, press gas pedal until the revs hit about 4500, quickly remove left foot from clutch, push right foot all the way down to floor, shift at 7k, and repeat over and over....hahahhaah jk!

Old 08-22-2011, 04:48 AM
6speedwtneed
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JT///MC
Depress clutch, press gas pedal until the revs hit about 4500, quickly remove left foot from clutch, push right foot all the way down to floor, shift at 7k, and repeat over and over....hahahhaah jk!
Woah Woah. Nothing above 3,200 rpms, or you will just have too much wheel spin.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:51 AM
hipo_p51
1st Gear
Neightfanboy - 0, Everyone else - 99+

Old 08-22-2011, 08:41 AM
Neitherfanboy
3rd Gear
Neightfanboy - 0, Everyone else - 99+
hipo, I thought your first post was rude, and was surprised since it appeared to only be your third post on this forum. Again? Seriously?

Old 08-22-2011, 09:54 AM
hipo_p51
1st Gear
My apologies for being rude. This is a public forum, right? Any ways, someone with 30 + years of using a clutch pedal should be aware of all aspects of the 'clutch' and how it works.
As far as 3 posts, just joined so I could educate myself on the mini's before I buy.
I have been reading a lot of the forum and have been entertained by many threads. This clutch one for example.
Like i said, please accecpt my apology.

and to quote 'Stripes'.

"Lighten up Francis"

Old 08-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Neitherfanboy
3rd Gear
My apologies for being rude. This is a public forum, right? Any ways, someone with 30 + years of using a clutch pedal should be aware of all aspects of the 'clutch' and how it works.
As far as 3 posts, just joined so I could educate myself on the mini's before I buy.
I have been reading a lot of the forum and have been entertained by many threads. This clutch one for example.
Like i said, please accecpt my apology.

and to quote 'Stripes'.

"Lighten up Francis"
Wow, such a charmingly backhanded apology. Yes, sir, its a public forum, which means anyone can comment, it does not, however, mean anyone can be rude.

Someone with 30+ years of using a clutch does not necessarily know everything about a clutch, you can always learn something new. You find as you get older that you know less than you thought you did when you were younger (about anything and everything).

"--yet, sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often. Best to say nothing at all, my dear man." Ablus Dumbledore

Quick Reply: R56 re: Buying a 2009 Mini, haven't driven a manual trans in 8+ yrs