R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sold My Mini

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:32 PM
highlander709
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
c'est la vie

Gracias

Old 09-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by PatM
I would have paid 225 for the conti run flat stateside. That price the OP quoted is the Hawaii price. But I went with non run flats and paid $110.00
Yeah, they had to fly the tire in from the Big Island plus it was an 18" Pirelli run flat. I found it on the Tire Rack for about $225 but with shipping to Hawaii it would almost cost the same as Mini's price. The price of living in paradise

Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Benibiker
Yeah, they had to fly the tire in from the Big Island plus it was an 18" Pirelli run flat. I found it on the Tire Rack for about $225 but with shipping to Hawaii it would almost cost the same as Mini's price. The price of living in paradise
I love paradise. My wife and I try to go to Maui every year to unwind for a week or two. We didn't make it this year. I decided to buy a Coupe instead.

Winter is coming up soon it's going to hurt missing that trip this year. It's going to be a long winter but the Coupe will help.

Last edited by PatM; 09-21-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
You guys won't believe what I did... First let me start by saying, my IS250 F-Sport was amazing, it was somewhat fast, it was quiet, comfy, great stereo, dependable, beautiful, perfectly built with not a single rattle and amazing quality but... I just couldn't connect with it, I felt like I was driving a really nice rental car. It was about as exciting as a toaster oven, a high tech one at that! Well, I was keeping my eye on my old Mini at the used car lot at Lexus and after a month it was still there and the price kept dropping so I made my move. I traded my IS250 for my old Mini. Yes it's crazy, yes I had sleepless nights just contemplating doing this but I did it. I paid less for my Mini than they gave me when I traded it in and I did take a hit on my IS250, it was a month old and only 770 miles on it so I lost about $3k. I look at those $3k as the price I paid to rent a really nice car for a month! Actually not bad when you think about it, if the numbers hadn't worked out my way I was prepared to go to Mini and buy a new one off their lot. As soon as I drove my Mini I was all smiles, the Lexus salesman just didn't get it. You have to own a Mini to GET it. I can sleep tonight knowing my Mini is safe and sound in my garage. Don't you love happy endings? Happy Motoring!

Last edited by Benibiker; 09-25-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:47 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Wow is all I can say!

Actually I think I said you will be back. Your back much faster than I thought you would be.

Ahhh temporary was the word. Very temporary I might add.

Well, welcome back!!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:57 PM
wandrur
Don't you love happy endings?
Best story EVER.

Welcome...back.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Thanks guys! I gave him a bath and a new coat of wax and spent the day looking for excuses to drive somewhere. Glad to be back! You were right PatM!

Old 09-25-2011, 11:12 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hilarious! I'm sorry you had to take a $3k bath to figure out what you really love in a car, but I'm glad it worked out for you, and you got your baby back!

Old 09-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Korben Dallas
2nd Gear
As soon as I drove my Mini I was all smiles, the Lexus salesman just didn't get it. You have to own a Mini to GET it. I can sleep tonight knowing my Mini is safe and sound in my garage. Don't you love happy endings? Happy Motoring!

That is certainly the quickest turnaround I have ever heard of. Welcome back

You really do have to own a Mini to GET it. I think the James May quote in my sig fits nicely to this bill.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:34 AM
David9962000
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
WoW! Great story,

Old 09-26-2011, 09:41 AM
theging
3rd Gear
That is hilarious. Monday can't get here soon enough so i get my mini from Carmax. I had to transferred from Colorado..... Only down side is it has no packages, no cold weather or sports or premium. Kinda a bummer, but Mini is not about having a sunroof or a good sound system, it is about the drive. Although having those would be cool too.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Korben Dallas
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by theging
That is hilarious. Monday can't get here soon enough so i get my mini from Carmax. I had to transferred from Colorado..... Only down side is it has no packages, no cold weather or sports or premium. Kinda a bummer, but Mini is not about having a sunroof or a good sound system, it is about the drive. Although having those would be cool too.
Think of it this way, lacking extra options and packages will reduce the car's weight to a minimum. Not by much, but it's still something

Old 09-26-2011, 10:13 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow...I was about to congratulate you on the new car and tell you that we hope you come back to Mini soon...I didn't even get the chance. Glad it all worked out and you're happy with your Mini safe and sound.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:51 AM
OKCdancer
3rd Gear
I've seen people do that in marriages too. But it usually costs ALOT more than 3K!

Old 09-26-2011, 05:51 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Great Story. Welcome back to the "Apple" of cars.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:31 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rockridge
Great Story. Welcome back to the "Apple" of cars.
Right on MacBook Pro 13", IPad 2, IPhone 4.

When ya got class you got Mini/Apple class.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
All my friends at work think I'm nuts, maybe you have to be a little nuts to own a Mini...

BTW, the Lexus dealer told me they changed the oil so I checked the level just in case and found it about an inch over-filled. Typical... I was just going to drain a little but had my doubts about what kind of oil and weight they used so I decided to just do a whole new oil change. The old oil did look strangely thick and dark but all is well now with Mini oil and filter.

The whole neighborhood is happy the Mini is back!

Last edited by Benibiker; 09-27-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Originally Posted by theging
My Lexus was loaded with everything and all my Mini has is cruise control, anthracite headliner, auto, chrome line interior, and 18 inch JCW wheels. You don't need all that crazy stuff! Well, maybe the cold weather package would have been nice in Colorado

Old 09-28-2011, 08:46 PM
treadwell
1st Gear
Wow! My MA told us a story about a couple who bought a MINI for her on Friday and he came in to trade in his Mustang GT with 700 miles on it on Monday. After the weekend he had to have a MINI too. What can you say, it's "MINI Madness".

Old 09-30-2011, 11:24 AM
MNMLST
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best thread ever!

You better not be trolling, Benibiker. It will crush our souls!

Old 09-30-2011, 03:01 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Well, I didn’t see that one coming... LOL.

Congrats on getting your mini back... I love happy endings. : D

Mark

Old 09-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
It's a crazy story but very true. This was my first full week of driving my Mini again and I have no regrets what so ever! I don't miss the Lexus at all, it's very strange. The Lexus just felt like an appliance; a nice one, but it was just another car. Can you see the smile on my Mini below?

Attached Thumbnails Sold My Mini-p3140036.jpg  
Old 09-30-2011, 07:27 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lexuses (Lexii?) may be technologically impressive, but they lack personality. There are some things that just don't come across in facts and figures

Old 09-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
I just can't believe my Mini sat at the Lexus used car lot for 35 days and no one bought it. They only put 12 miles on it during that whole time. Goes to show that a Mini is definitely not for everyone.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:35 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
You guys won't believe what I did... First let me start by saying, my IS250 F-Sport was amazing, it was somewhat fast, it was quiet, comfy, great stereo, dependable, beautiful, perfectly built with not a single rattle and amazing quality but... I just couldn't connect with it, I felt like I was driving a really nice rental car. It was about as exciting as a toaster oven, a high tech one at that! Well, I was keeping my eye on my old Mini at the used car lot at Lexus and after a month it was still there and the price kept dropping so I made my move. I traded my IS250 for my old Mini. Yes it's crazy, yes I had sleepless nights just contemplating doing this but I did it. I paid less for my Mini than they gave me when I traded it in and I did take a hit on my IS250, it was a month old and only 770 miles on it so I lost about $3k. I look at those $3k as the price I paid to rent a really nice car for a month! Actually not bad when you think about it, if the numbers hadn't worked out my way I was prepared to go to Mini and buy a new one off their lot. As soon as I drove my Mini I was all smiles, the Lexus salesman just didn't get it. You have to own a Mini to GET it. I can sleep tonight knowing my Mini is safe and sound in my garage. Don't you love happy endings? Happy Motoring!
This has got to be the BEST MINI Story I have ever read!!
CONGRATULATIONS Benibiker for Waking Up and Smelling the Coffee!!

Oh and BTW...WELCOME HOME!!

Last edited by RJKimbell; 09-30-2011 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply: R56 Sold My Mini