R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 More OCC questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:39 AM
Charles Linquist
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More OCC questions

I am strongly considering adding an oil catch can to my 2009 R56, but before I do, I would like to understand a few things:

I have heard that the 2011 models have a better valve cover that blocks more oil.
Will a 2011 valve cover fit on my car?

There are two vents on the valve cover: One on the passenger side, one on the driver's side. I can understand the one on the driver's side, but I don't get the idea of the one on the passenger side. I haven't jacked up my car, but I can't see where that hose goes. Could it possibly go to the exhaust?

I see that some have blocked the passenger side hose entirely. If it goes to the exhaust and doesn't eventually go to the intake manifold, there would seem to be no reason to block it.

It appears to go down below (and possibly connect to) the air filter. Is it possible that the passenger side hose is actually an INLET to the valve cover - where cleaned air goes into the valve cover and the hose on the driver's side is an OUTLET? The air pressure is certainly lower at the turbo inlet than it is in the air cleaner, so in that case air would circulate from the passenger side to the driver's side.

If I disconnect the hose and block the passenger's side vent on the valve cover, that leaves me with a disconnected hose. What do I do with the hose? Do I block it, or remove it, or what?

I like to fully understand what I'm doing before I start a project. I would appreciate any

In another thread, a member mentioned that he removed the little "heater" where the driver's side hose joined the main intake just before it went into the turbo. I know one thing for certain THAT DEVICE IS NOT A HEATER!!! A tiny little wire cannot possibly heat the large volume of air going into the engine. Those 'heater' devices are generally air-flow meters. A current is run through a wire which heats it, and air rushing by cools the wire. By measuring the temperature of the wire, the velocity of the air going by can be (electronically) calculated. It might not have a big effect, but some engineer in England (or France, or Germany), felt that it should be there.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:29 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
After installing a OCC on my 2009 just months ago, I can assist...

Originally Posted by Charles Linquist
I have heard that the 2011 models have a better valve cover that blocks more oil. Will a 2011 valve cover fit on my car?
I think it'll fit, but the fittings on the 2011 valve cover are different.
And the change reflects the PCV baffle, but even 2011 owners are adding catch cans.
So, it cost you more to add the valve cover and the OCC, when really you just need the OCC.

There are two vents on the valve cover: One on the passenger side, one on the driver's side. I can understand the one on the driver's side, but I don't get the idea of the one on the passenger side. I haven't jacked up my car, but I can't see where that hose goes. Could it possibly go to the exhaust?
The passenger port goes to the intake manifold.
When the engine is under vacuum (which is some 85%+ of the time), the vapor is being pulled from the valve cover into the intake manifold.

I see that some have blocked the passenger side hose entirely. If it goes to the exhaust and doesn't eventually go to the intake manifold, there would seem to be no reason to block it.
However it does go to the intake manifold.
See czar's passenger port block-off thread with photos detailing such.

If I disconnect the hose and block the passenger's side vent on the valve cover, that leaves me with a disconnected hose. What do I do with the hose? Do I block it, or remove it, or what?
Again, with czar's port thread, you can obtain the OEM port caps to remove that hose.
Or with a OCC, you can use the block-off insert (see BSH Speed Shop for more detail).

I like to fully understand what I'm doing before I start a project.
See this for the product review I did with BSH's components:
* http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1688294

Those 'heater' devices are generally air-flow meters. A current is run through a wire which heats it, and air rushing by cools the wire. By measuring the temperature of the wire, the velocity of the air going by can be (electronically) calculated.
It's still there because it's pulling air from the valve cover that's after the MAF on the airbox.
If the engineers did it right, it should be "adding" the values of both the main MAF and the PCV line to determine inlet air volume.
I did leave mine in during my installation.

- Erik

Old 09-07-2011, 04:01 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Bluefox has it right, but let me add,

The 2011 head cover will not fit a 2010 MINI. They also changed the head for 2011.

The little heater by the turbocharger inlet is to prevent icing, not to heat the air.

If you block off the hose from the head cover to the intake manifold (passenger side) you must install an oil catch can on the hose to the turbocharger, as the hose to the intake manifold is normally the major route for crankcase vapors, without it, all that crud will get sucked into the turbocharger and intercooler.

Dave

Old 09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
The 2011 head cover will not fit a 2010 MINI. They also changed the head for 2011.
Good to know; thank you.

Originally Posted by DneprDave
The little heater by the turbocharger inlet is to prevent icing, not to heat the air.
Oh I didn't even think of that, but that would make sense for climates that have high humidity in freezing temperatures.

- Erik

Old 09-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Charles Linquist
1st Gear
I stand corrected. We use a lot of air flow meters that are simply a heated wire running through a support frame.

Thanks for all the information.

But this brings up one more question: It would appear that the engineers at Mini took a lot of care to make certain that the crankcase always had a decent vacuum - why else would they choose TWO vents? I would think that blow-by would always force the vapors into the turbo inlet without building up even a few inches of H20 pressure.

If I block the passage to the intake manifold and route all the blow-by through the catch-can to the turbo inlet, I won't have as much vacuum in the crankcase as the designers intended (at least during decleration). Is there some danger in doing this?

Old 09-07-2011, 07:24 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
You still get crankcase vacuum, it is just via the turbocharger. The engine is still sucking air through the air filter, then the turbo, intercooler and then the intake manifold.

Cars built before 1968 just had a draft tube that opened the crankcase to the atmosphere. The important thing, for the engine, is that there is no pressure in the crankcase, it doesn't have to be a vacuum.

Dave

Old 09-08-2011, 05:30 AM
Charles Linquist
1st Gear
I have yet another question: How does that hose clip on the passenger's side tube work? I can't figure out how to get it to release. The one on the driver's side was understandable, but this one has me stumped.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:05 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
How does that hose clip on the passenger's side tube work? I can't figure out how to get it to release.
Assuming US Spec, push the two oblong sides together to release the securing tabs, and gently pull out.
Should be very straight forward to remove.

- Erik