R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 No more paddle shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:39 AM
tedfromohio
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roundel
It was a production mix-up that wasn't caught by the dealer on your car. You will end up getting them, just call the service department and tell them what happened. In the 2012 model year changeover there have been several mixups, and this is one.
What were the others?????

Old 09-19-2011, 09:14 AM
micron
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Roundel
It was a production mix-up that wasn't caught by the dealer on your car. You will end up getting them, just call the service department and tell them what happened. In the 2012 model year changeover there have been several mixups, and this is one.
Does anyone happen to have the 2012 price list/ordering guide for the hardtops? After looking at the Canadian brochure and the countryman brochure (https://www.northamericanmotoring.co..._zc53_2012.pdf) What Roundel says appears to be accurate:

"Note: 205 will add 2XA Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters"

Since the dealer has already told me that things changed for the 2012 and they are no longer included, it would nice to see something in the hardtop pricing guide that says otherwise. It might make them admitting a mistake a bit easier (assuming a mistake was indeed made)

Old 09-19-2011, 04:47 PM
micron
1st Gear
If anyone ends up receiving a 2012 MCSa w/o paddle shifters, send me a PM. This is a resolvable solution Thanks to those who helped me out!

Old 09-19-2011, 04:55 PM
R*C
1st Gear
My 2012 MCSa was also missing the paddle shifters, despite having them listed on the list of features. I am working with the dealer to hopefully get them installed.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Crayonman
1st Gear
I'm glad it all got resolved. You deserve what you ordered.

Here are some more glitches in the system with 2012 early production.

1. Missing Sirius Radio on early Cooper Hardtops only around 855 vehicles affected, but many have already been fixed.

2. Mini Connected and Automatic transmissions are limited due to the low Japanese production.

3. Black challenge wheels only for JCW cars not cooper or S models with JCW package.

4. Early issues ordering JCW package on Cooper and Cooper S MINIs with challenge wheels and all season tires.

5. Cooper S models with Automatic trans but no shifter paddles...several hundred MINIs affected including Cooper S hardtops, Clubman, and Convertibles.

Crayonman

Old 09-19-2011, 08:31 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did they discontinue the fake clutch pedal too?

O the HUMANITY!!!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:43 PM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How could they get rid of the paddles!? I'd like to hear the logic behind that!

On another hand, the first time I test drove a MINI, it was an auto (before I knew how to drive a stick). The shifts were extremely rough and the auto just didn't fit the car at all. Just seemed like it didn't belong.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:19 PM
asaulo1
5th Gear
this is definitely a deal breaker for me if I was getting a MCSa.... definitely have to double check when I order my Countryman S with auto.....

Old 09-20-2011, 03:04 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It had to be a mistake. I talked to an MA at my dealership and he said they might have had one MCSa come in sans paddles. But they should still come with paddles.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:33 PM
R*C
1st Gear
Just got done talking with my service manager and he confirmed it is a known nationwide problem with the earliest batch of 2012's. He has put the paddle shifter parts on order for me, but I was told it could take 4 to 6 weeks for them to come in. Apparently there is a big demand for paddle shifters right now, as it seems like a lot of units are affected.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:16 PM
micron
1st Gear
Originally Posted by R*C
Just got done talking with my service manager and he confirmed it is a known nationwide problem with the earliest batch of 2012's. He has put the paddle shifter parts on order for me, but I was told it could take 4 to 6 weeks for them to come in. Apparently there is a big demand for paddle shifters right now, as it seems like a lot of units are affected.
R*C: Yep, it's "a couple hundred" MINIs that were affected. It's good to hear that your MA knows what he's talking about and ordered the part from you. My MA (and the dealership) is still playing the clueless card despite every other dealership in the country telling me otherwise.*

*Don't you dare tell them that you're not happy with them telling you incorrect information, or in my case, being mislead to (i.e.: "Good morning Adam, unfortunately in 2012 MINI has decided not to include the paddle shifters as standard equipment anymore. You still have the ability to shift the car manually by using the shifter.") in the customer survey. They will send you e-mails berating you, telling you how your opinion and experience is wrong, that you are "totally wrong" and that they are "disappointed with you"

I love how they somehow turned this into me being the bad guy

Old 09-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Pirahna
1st Gear
Originally Posted by micron
R*C: Yep, it's "a couple hundred" MINIs that were affected. It's good to hear that your MA knows what he's talking about and ordered the part from you. My MA (and the dealership) is still playing the clueless card despite every other dealership in the country telling me otherwise.*

*Don't you dare tell them that you're not happy with them telling you incorrect information, or in my case, being mislead to (i.e.: "Good morning Adam, unfortunately in 2012 MINI has decided not to include the paddle shifters as standard equipment anymore. You still have the ability to shift the car manually by using the shifter.") in the customer survey. They will send you e-mails berating you, telling you how your opinion and experience is wrong, that you are "totally wrong" and that they are "disappointed with you"

I love how they somehow turned this into me being the bad guy
I would forward that email to miniusa.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It definately IS a big deal. You know it if you have the auto MINI.
I'd call it a dealbreaker (if I were buying right now and they said no paddles, period).

The same way they refused to put 5 seatbelts in, even though the euro models have 5 seatbelts. We had to go with a different brand.

Their loss.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:02 AM
dgainsboro
Neutral
missing paddle shifters

Thank you AXO. This is consistent with what my dealer is telling me. What is still not clear is how long I will have to wait. I am reluctant to take delivery until the car is complete based on a previous experience. Any idea where I could find this information? Also, do you know if there is a web based portal where I can find the details on the TSB?

BTW if you can't tell I am new to this forum but am amazed at the range and quality of the information and postings.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:44 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
There is a portal for the bulletins. It is minitechinfo.com (a sister site to bmwtechinfo.com). It does require a subscription fee. As a side note, this site also provides the remote ISTA/P to do all coding, programming and electronic diagnostic on your car (same as the dealer) as long as you have a compatible J2534 pass-through-tool.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:15 AM
micron
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dgainsboro
Thank you AXO. This is consistent with what my dealer is telling me. What is still not clear is how long I will have to wait. I am reluctant to take delivery until the car is complete based on a previous experience. Any idea where I could find this information? Also, do you know if there is a web based portal where I can find the details on the TSB?

BTW if you can't tell I am new to this forum but am amazed at the range and quality of the information and postings.

Hey there. Have them refer to bulletin M-30-0811-0016. It's on the last page.

Re: time. There isn't a good answer to that. Some dealerships are reporting that they can do the retrofit now, but it's a 1-3 months wait to get the required parts. One dealership is vehement that the retrofit kit is not available yet and won't be for some time.

Someone else around here may have a better answer on the time piece than me though.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:35 PM
R*C
1st Gear
No updates from me. I'm still waiting for my retrofit parts to be available. Anyone else had any luck yet?

Old 10-05-2011, 02:18 AM
micron
1st Gear
Originally Posted by R*C
No updates from me. I'm still waiting for my retrofit parts to be available. Anyone else had any luck yet?
Same boat for me.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:39 PM
treadwell
1st Gear
Got my letter from MINI USA today stating the paddle shifters were inadvertently left off my late 2011 build (2012 model year) Clubman. No kidding! They claim it is a two day repair job to retrofit them. After checking with several dealers in my area none have actually done the job yet. Not sure I want to be first on this one. Has anyone had this done yet? Comments, recommendations. Thanks

Old 05-25-2012, 10:03 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by treadwell
Got my letter from MINI USA today stating the paddle shifters were inadvertently left off my late 2011 build (2012 model year) Clubman. No kidding! They claim it is a two day repair job to retrofit them. After checking with several dealers in my area none have actually done the job yet. Not sure I want to be first on this one. Has anyone had this done yet? Comments, recommendations. Thanks
Looks like the process should be relatively straightforward:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-shifters.html

Old 05-27-2012, 12:26 AM
Goliath79
1st Gear
Just an FYI

Hi all.

I'm military overseas and just picked up my 2012 MCSa from my local dealer 2 days ago. It DOES have the paddle shifters. So I would guess they have the mistake at the factory fixed, as my car was produced during the month of May. Lucky for me it doesn't have to leave the European Union for me to get it...let alone travel across the Atlantic.

Best of luck getting the shifters...they are quite fun...and the only reason I got an automatic (with shifters) is because the wife can't drive a manual. Had there been no shifters, I would have told the wife to take a hike!

Old 10-28-2012, 12:32 AM
JackMan017
2nd Gear
I'm bringing this back from the dead because I am experiencing this right now.

I just recently took delivery of my 2013 JCW, auto transmission. The paddle shifters are not on the car. When I built the car back in August on MiniUSA's website it SPECIFICALLY states (and still does now) my automatic transmission COMES WITH "f1 style paddle shifters". Mini owes me what I paid for, the auto trans with paddle shifters.

I'm working on the situation now. Curious to see how many other people are experiencing what I'm currently going through? If so, what was your outcome?

Old 10-28-2012, 09:53 AM
treadwell
1st Gear
Had this done a few months back on my 2012 Clubman. It takes a few days because MiniUSA will not allow the parts to be shipped until the dealer has the car on the lot. Crazy, but several dealers told me the same thing. Once they have the parts the repair requires replacemement of the steering wheel and some reprogramming and can be done in less than a day.

My dealer supplied me with a loaner Mini Clubman and the process was great. It took three days for the parts and one day to install.

Good Luck!

Old 10-28-2012, 10:08 AM
JackMan017
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by treadwell
Had this done a few months back on my 2012 Clubman. It takes a few days because MiniUSA will not allow the parts to be shipped until the dealer has the car on the lot. Crazy, but several dealers told me the same thing. Once they have the parts the repair requires replacemement of the steering wheel and some reprogramming and can be done in less than a day.

My dealer supplied me with a loaner Mini Clubman and the process was great. It took three days for the parts and one day to install.

Good Luck!
That's perfect. I hope my outcome is exactly the same. Thank you sir.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Craig Steiger
Neutral
My 2013 JCW with Auto also does not have the shifters

Just purchased the car a few weeks ago- I just noticed today. I'm taking it to the dealer in the morning and see what they say. I also sent an email to Mini corporate.

Quick Reply: R56 No more paddle shifters?