R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Worst Oil Dipstick Ever!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:50 PM
christomapher
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it bad that when I pulled my dipstick out of the engine and the end had oil on it?

;-)

Old 10-11-2011, 08:43 PM
JT///MC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Erhan
The E9x M3 has a sensor (no real dipstick). Which sucks unfortunately. It's resolution is 0.25quarts. It makes DIY oil change quite an adventure. IIRC, it requires ~9quarts of oil (10w60 btw, very expensive).

So you put 8 quarters, and go from there... Well first you need to start the car, drive around, warm it up and then come back to garage, park, keep the car in idle while it takes a reading (which takes couple minutes). The car will then tell you to add a quart.. So if you don't know that the resolution is 0.25quarts and add 1 quart you're doomed because you may overfill.. You add 0.25 quarts, drive around again, come park, take a reading while the car is idling..... It usually takes 2-3 readings to get it "right"..
I own a 2008 M5 and I absolutely love the electronic dipstick. Not sure why ppl hang onto old tech when the new technology makes your life so much easier.

Although the system is NOT foolproof (my friend managed to add 1 extra quart above what the computer called for, he's not mechanically or automotively inclined, and did not read the directions either), it is actually super easy to use.

First of all, do you need any higher resolution of oil level than 0.25qt? if it told you to add 25ml instead, would you go and measure that out? Or would it easier to eyeball 1/4 qt of oil? Come on now.

Second, when changing the oil, all you need to do is add the appropriate amount of oil (usually 7 qts) and then run the motor for a minute or two, and then reset the system to have it recalibrate and re-read the oil level. This takes about 1-2 mins depending on how level of a surface you are on. From there, you can tell how much more to add. My experience is not to overfill the system by trying to top it off. Not a good idea.

Thirdly, the electronic dipstick will save you from ever runing on too low of oil. You never have to pop the hood and get your hands dirty. Just sit there and hit the BC button. Then when you are low, it tells you to add +1QT. How easy is that? That technically is the level at the lowest tick on the dipstick. So you are not in danger, yet. Typically low oil lights in cars with manual dipsticks only tell you when you are down -2QTs of oil. That is dangerous.

The manual actually tells you that the best way to add oil is to wait for the +1QT warning comes on b/c it is easier to accurately add oil.

After you add your 1QT, you just reset the dipstick and you are back in business. Pretty fool proof unless you are a imbecile.

I hope that clears things up. Like I said, once you use one, you will hate having to pull a dirty dipstick and wipe on a towel again.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:32 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JT///MC
I own a 2008 M5 and I absolutely love the electronic dipstick. Not sure why ppl hang onto old tech when the new technology makes your life so much easier.

Although the system is NOT foolproof...
I think you answered your own question.

I pine for the manual methods of checking the health and well-being of the engine. I like checking my OCC. I like looking at my brake pads. I enjoy checking battery cells. Give me a tranny fluid dipstick and a fuel sediment bulb while you're at it.

So much additional detective work can be done by looking at the fluid on a dipstick, seeing its coloration, etc. Guess I'm just old school.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:04 AM
blitzed310
2nd Gear
While the stick is hard to read, it is possible to get a perfectly clear reading. Here is what I do.

Engine is either cool, or not hot.
Remove the dipstick and clean it with a towel (i use a shot of brake cleaner and an air hose to make it clean).
Insert down the tube and pull out slowly.
Hold the stick up to the light and you will see that the oil coats the stick and there is clear definition between the "ribs" on the stick and where the oil coats the stick and you can not see the "ribs".

Pretty simple actually, I make due with this factory unit.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blitzed310
While the stick is hard to read, it is possible to get a perfectly clear reading. Here is what I do.

Engine is either cool, or not hot.
Remove the dipstick and clean it with a towel (i use a shot of brake cleaner and an air hose to make it clean).
Insert down the tube and pull out slowly.
Hold the stick up to the light and you will see that the oil coats the stick and there is clear definition between the "ribs" on the stick and where the oil coats the stick and you can not see the "ribs".

Pretty simple actually, I make due with this factory unit.
Good guidance...except for the fact that the newer dipsticks have no "ribs" like on your dipstick.**

**Didn't mean for this to sound like a condom advert...

Old 10-12-2011, 10:01 AM
snss3
Neutral
Old 10-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Brake cleaner and compressed air? Wow, you are dedicated. I've just wiped it on a towel before putting it back in for the reading. (And after the reading, but that's just to avoid a mess on the dipstick tube.)

With bare metal dipsticks, fresh oil can be hard to see. I always wind up putting it at several angles to my eye so I can see where the sheen of fresh oil is on the stick. I anticipate that it will be the same with Fenimore, but I haven't actually checked the oil yet. (Hey, he just went over 100 miles total!)

Old 10-12-2011, 01:58 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snss3

please give us a review and picture of it when you receive it. i'm interested too.