R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 dual pane sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 04:25 AM
squonk
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedAndBlackMiniS
I love my sunroof, but I HATE the wind noise. It's horrible! I can only enjoy the sunroof when I'm going around town under 40 mph. :(
Yep - same here. But despite that, I'm happy I ordered on my car; I have the fever for more SR

Old 11-30-2011, 04:44 AM
AXO
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my Sunroof. It is open as often as weather permits. As far as modding your non SR to a SR, it would cost big $$$$$$. You are way better off trading for a factory installed SR.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedAndBlackMiniS
I love my sunroof, but I HATE the wind noise. It's horrible! I can only enjoy the sunroof when I'm going around town under 40 mph. :(
I have only had one other car with a sunroof and that was useless due to wind noise as well. Is there ANY car where the sunroof can be opened at highway speeds?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:26 AM
gixxerjasen
4th Gear
Both my MR2 and my Acura Integra had very usable sunroofs. I had the sunroof open on either one whenever the weather was nice. Admittedly, the sunroof was way easier to open on the Acura than the Toyota though. :D

Old 11-30-2011, 07:31 AM
ballandchain
4th Gear
What do you expect? Its a huge gaping hole in the roof of a vehicle.........But I guess society has traded everyone to expect perfection from everything.......

Old 11-30-2011, 07:59 AM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen
Personally to me the Mini sunroof is a horrible implementation of a sunroof. I had one in my old Toyota Celica, Acura Integra and my Toyota MR2 and loved them all. But here in Texas there's months of the year where your car tries to impersonate an oven and having a good solid covering to cover the sunroof is necessary. Both of those cars had good heat shields built in (Kind of on the MR2) that blocked the heat and light from the sun.

I had a loaner Mini Cooper with the sunroof and I can tell you that mesh screen wouldn't be worth anything in August here. I know you can buy some aftermarket items to stuff up in there but I think that looks terrible personally compared to something that is stock on other cars. When I was shopping it seemed like every single car here had a sunroof, almost as if they had been giving them away. I was happy to find me a car that didn't have one at all.

Of course, England isn't exactly the hottest or sunniest place, but still...a proper sunroof cover doesn't seem like it'd be all that hard to do. And if I lived someplace that wasn't in the triple digits for over a quarter of the year it might be a better option, but not here and not for me not now.

I live in Houston and you are right. In July/August my cars A/C couldn't keep up with the heat. I had the sunroof tinted and it helped but not as good as a solid shade. I bought the $35 solid shades that suction cup to the sunroof and it's perfect.
When I want complete block, I put them on but then can folde them up and stick them in the glove box.
Before I tinted my sunroofs the car way like an oven. They must not have tested the Mini in Texas in August. I wish they offered the pull shades in solid as an accessory, but the suction cup shades work for me when I need them.

I had an aftermarket sunroof put in one of my cars before. Look at Webasto. They are really nice and have nice features. Expect to pay about $1500 to add a sunroof. Leaking doesn't happen anymore with aftermarket roofs. The installations look factory. There's probably a local installer and you can go by and look at other roofs they have done. Call any Chevy/GMC dealer and ask them who they use for their roofs. It's really popular with those vehicles.

Last edited by texasmontego; 11-30-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by klricks
Is there ANY car where the sunroof can be opened at highway speeds?
My CRX had (still has, though it's not mine any more!) a fairly small sunroof. It was pretty noisy, but with the plastic wind-guard installed (like a fairing over the first ~1/4 of the opening) the wind noise was very much reduced.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:18 AM
christomapher
4th Gear
Originally Posted by texasmontego

I had an aftermarket sunroof put in one of my cars before. Look at Webasto. They are really nice and have nice features. Expect to pay about $1500 to add a sunroof. Leaking doesn't happen anymore with aftermarket roofs. The installations look factory. There's probably a local installer and you can go by and look at other roofs they have done. Call any Chevy/GMC dealer and ask them who they use for their roofs. It's really popular with those vehicles.
Thanks for this info!! I'm going to save my pennies. I can't wait to have a sunroof again!