R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 what kind of oil filter and engine oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:02 AM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use an OEM filter and German Castrol (Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula). One thing I've noticed is that ticking on a cold start is reduced with this oil as compared to whatever the dealer is using when I go in for the free maintenance.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:01 PM
etalj
6th Gear
I'm currently using Royal Purple, but I've read so many horror stories that I just don't feel safe running it any more. Switching to Amsoil

Old 11-18-2011, 07:16 PM
gixxerjasen
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to find these horror stories. I always hear of them referenced but never actually seen one.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 PM
etalj
6th Gear
I'll do my best

Old 11-18-2011, 09:00 PM
vandelay
1st Gear
I use the oem filter with royal purple 0-40.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:04 AM
MagicSmoker
Neutral
Hello all... just took delivery of a 2012 MC (BRG II) fresh off the boat on Nov 9th and I already did my first (post break-in) oil change at 1100 miles (what can I say - I like driving again ).

Anyway, as a new MINI owner that likes to tinker a bit too much for his own good, I have a whole bunch of questions but only one is on-topic for this thread... does anyone use the Fumoto F-108 quick drain valve? I ordered one because it's less than $30 shipped, but I have to say I am a bit concerned it might become the lowest point on an already alarmingly-low undercarriage!?! So, is my concern valid, a little paranoid but not unrealistic, or totally misplaced?

FWIW, I had a devil of a time finding out the right thread for the OEM drain plug so for other poor schmucks trying to do a search here for that info it is M16-1.5 or M16 x 1.5 or 16mm by 1.5mm...

Old 11-21-2011, 05:30 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Originally Posted by proximal
I use an OEM filter and German Castrol (Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula). One thing I've noticed is that ticking on a cold start is reduced with this oil as compared to whatever the dealer is using when I go in for the free maintenance.
I'm having a hard time finding German Castrol.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:34 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by glangford
I'm having a hard time finding German Castrol.
Same here. In fact, I've *never* found it, at least not in any store locally. Just when I think I've found someone that carries it, it turns out that they *used* to carry it, but don't anymore.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:38 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Same here. In fact, I've *never* found it, at least not in any store locally. Just when I think I've found someone that carries it, it turns out that they *used* to carry it, but don't anymore.
It can be gotten on line here:

http://matrixsyntheticoils.com/store...n_castrol.html

But I'd prefer to buy locally, so I'll just go to the BMW dealer and get their 5w30, same as mini branded. I don't want to pay shipping. Although I'd like to use the 0w oil for winter time.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:40 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Also considering Redline 5w30. It meets BMW specs

Recommended for API SM/SL/SJ/SH/SG/CF and ACEA A3/B3/B4, GM dexos1™

Old 11-21-2011, 05:45 AM
glangford
6th Gear
I think I may try Mobil 1 0w40. Its a couple of bucks more a quart, but I'll give it a whirl. It shows in stock at local advance auto parts. I did read the 30 in castrol is more like a 40 anyway.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:08 AM
dale
1st Gear
Yes, I installed one four thousand miles ago and did my first oil change with it in a week ago when I put Mini away for the winter. This gadget is a keeper!!! No more oil all over my hands when the oil is changed. Yes it sits lower than stock but I don't take my baby off road either.
Dale

Old 11-21-2011, 07:58 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Only OEM filters and Amsoil here in my 06. I even run Amsoil in the Suby which used to burn oil and that has stopped as well. I can't recommend it enough!

I have run Mobile 1, and Royal Purple but still don't think they can hold a candle to Amsoil.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:21 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You know, I've heard so many good things about Amsoil, but I'm really turned off by their whole distribution method - it feels very "cult"-y, like Amway or some other multi-level marketing crap. I went to the Amsoil site and used their "Dealer Locator" to find a place near me to buy it, and it just gave me people's names and personal phone numbers - I guess they're just random folks that have signed up to be distributors?

For cripe's sake, why can't I just walk into an auto parts store and buy this stuff??? Why's it gotta feel like I'm buying moonshine from the local Moose Lodge member?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:01 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
You know, I've heard so many good things about Amsoil, but I'm really turned off by their whole distribution method - it feels very "cult"-y, like Amway or some other multi-level marketing crap. I went to the Amsoil site and used their "Dealer Locator" to find a place near me to buy it, and it just gave me people's names and personal phone numbers - I guess they're just random folks that have signed up to be distributors?

For cripe's sake, why can't I just walk into an auto parts store and buy this stuff??? Why's it gotta feel like I'm buying moonshine from the local Moose Lodge member?
I feel the same way!

Screw Amsoil! I ain't buyin' oil from someone who's sellin' it outa his trunk!

Dave

Old 11-21-2011, 10:08 AM
daflake
6th Gear
You can easily get it on-line now.

http://www.amsoil.com/

Still the best oil I have ever run to date.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:03 AM
ciscorob
2nd Gear
OEM filter and AMsoil motor oil!

Old 11-23-2011, 09:11 AM
ciscorob
2nd Gear
The reason you won't see AMsoil sold in a parts store or WalMart is the price..plain and simple.

I am not too fond of the distribution method but when you are designing something and you aren't catering to cash strapped 16 year olds with their Honda Civics moaning and groaning about $7.50/qt oil then you can probably understand why they have little desire to pay for shelf space and have to compete against cheaper synthetics.

I have run quite a few types of oil in my lifein my race bikes, Camaro SS, my Volvo 430 series truck and daily drivers. Amsoil just performed better and had much longer drain intervals. When tearing down the race bike at the end of a season the wear on the engine didn't even look half as bad as that of the Motul or Mobil 1 synthetics we ran in years prior.

Don't knock stuff based on exterior or circumstantial aspects.

Originally Posted by DneprDave
I feel the same way!

Screw Amsoil! I ain't buyin' oil from someone who's sellin' it outa his trunk!

Dave

Old 11-23-2011, 10:07 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
There is so much marketing hype about the superiority of Amsoil, I don't really know whether to believe it or not.

Even if it is as good or better than other synthetics, their marketing method is a deal breaker for me.

I get a 10% break on MINI parts at my dealer, through my local MINI club. So, I'll just put MINI brand oil and filters in my car, and change it every 6000 miles.

Dave

Old 11-23-2011, 10:12 AM
ciscorob
2nd Gear
To each their own. I have real world experience with it and from racing 600cc engines to near 17,000 RPM for 45minutes to 1 hour races for 12 races per year the amsoil helped the bike shift better, run cooler (by way of actually seeing the oil temperature and the overall engine temperatures drop from using Mobil 1) and at the end of the season the wear on the engine resembled a little more than normal wear and tear in extreme daily driving conditions.

Discounts mean little to me since I understand what it really costs to push the limit. The only thing I won't buy from Amsoil are the filters for the mini because I haven't seen a high quality filter that looks like it wouldn't give me issues.

Mobil 1 has market hype like crazy - Million mile challenge, 15,000 drain intervals - They just pump more $$$ into marketing and know how to target a specific audience. I doubt mini cooper refines their own oil as I am sure it is nothing more than Mobil 1 or Castrol Synthetic relabeled.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:16 AM
ciscorob
2nd Gear
ALso, judging something based on marketing method isn't making a decision based on sound deductive logic...it is merely making a hasty generalization

Old 11-23-2011, 02:01 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Nah, It's just too hard to buy Amsoil, like I said before, I won't buy it from someone selling it out of his trunk. If they'd sell it in auto parts stores, I'd try it, but not in my MINI. As good as it may be, it isn't a factory approved oil for MINIs. My car is still under warranty and I wouldn't want to give a dealer any excuse to void my warranty, for using an unapproved oil.

Dave

Old 11-23-2011, 02:22 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Nah, It's just too hard to buy Amsoil, like I said before, I won't buy it from someone selling it out of his trunk. If they'd sell it in auto parts stores, I'd try it, but not in my MINI. As good as it may be, it isn't a factory approved oil for MINIs. My car is still under warranty and I wouldn't want to give a dealer any excuse to void my warranty, for using an unapproved oil.

Dave
They can't void your warranty for that....

As for buying, like I said, you can simply order it on-line and they will deliver it to your door. Easier than going to an autoparts shop so I am not sure what is so "hard" about that. No trunks involved.

If you don't want to use it, that is your choice, but it does blow the doors off what you are buying in any Autoparts place. The only other oil I would use at this point is Motul. Especially after I have seen it work wonders in the Suby that used to drink Mobil 1 and Royal Purple.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:33 PM
ciscorob
2nd Gear
Just a piece of advice...there is no such thing as "approved oil" and if anyone tells you there is they are badly mistaken and shouldn't be trusted to give advice on mechanical engines. I worked for Mitsubishi as a Mechanic and then part time at a Honda Powersports store doing motorcycles part time and while Honda sells their own oil it is really just rebranded Texaco oil and is really really crappy...there are independent studies online that show how low performing it is. You can even run non-synthetic if you want because they can't force you to do that.

You should read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

The only way you can "screw" up an oil change is not putting in a correct filter and not ensuring there are no leaks. Otherwise, you can put 20W50 in that car and while it isn't the "designed" oil for the engine they cannot void your warranty.

You don't have to "buy it off a truck" you can go online and purchase it direct as well. I buy it for all my friends because I don't make a dime off it because I make no money off friends.

Finally, after a little bit of research I am more than positive "mini oil" is rebranded Castrol Syntec. So you may just be able to save more money and purchase it from WalMart

Old 11-23-2011, 02:37 PM
ciscorob
2nd Gear
Not too sure about Motul there my friend. I swore by it until I was racing at Road Atlanta or Jennings and when I would get close to my rev limiter on all shifts my oil light would come on! Mobil 1 did the same thing but it made the bike shift poorly compared to Motul.

Maybe their car formula is better...not sure.
Originally Posted by daflake
They can't void your warranty for that....

As for buying, like I said, you can simply order it on-line and they will deliver it to your door. Easier than going to an autoparts shop so I am not sure what is so "hard" about that. No trunks involved.

If you don't want to use it, that is your choice, but it does blow the doors off what you are buying in any Autoparts place. The only other oil I would use at this point is Motul. Especially after I have seen it work wonders in the Suby that used to drink Mobil 1 and Royal Purple.

Quick Reply: R56 what kind of oil filter and engine oil do you use?