R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 what kind of oil filter and engine oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 02:45 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ciscorob

Finally, after a little bit of research I am more than positive "mini oil" is rebranded Castrol Syntec. So you may just be able to save more money and purchase it from WalMart
The MINI-branded oil *is* Castrol, but I've never had any luck finding the same formulation at local stores. The MINI oil meets the ACEA A3 specs and is BMW LL rated, while none of the Castrol I've found in stores meets both specs. There's a "German Castrol" out there that some people have found in local stores that meets all the same specs as the MINI oil, so I think that's the particular formulation that MINI is rebadging.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:55 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ciscorob
You should read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

The only way you can "screw" up an oil change is not putting in a correct filter and not ensuring there are no leaks. Otherwise, you can put 20W50 in that car and while it isn't the "designed" oil for the engine they cannot void your warranty.
The problem with the Magnuson-Moss Act is that it has no teeth. In theory, the dealer/manufacturer should have to conclusively prove that the damage/failure resulted from your choice of parts or materials before denying a warranty claim, but the reality is that you can't force them at gunpoint to honor a warranty claim. When M-M is brought up in the real world, the conversation usually goes something like this:

Dealer: I'm sorry, we're not going to repair your engine under warranty because you're using Nology spark plug wires and a non CARB-approved cold air intake.

Customer: But the engine failed from lack of lubrication - those mods aren't even related! The Magnuson-Moss Warranty act says you can't deny warranty coverage unless you can show that my modifications caused the problem.

Dealer: I'm sorry sir, but we're not honoring the warranty claim.

Customer: But..but...bu - MAGNUSON-MOSS!!!!

Dealer: Sorry, if you want to go any further, you'll have to sue us. See you in court. Hope you have lots of time and money lying around!

Old 11-23-2011, 03:00 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
The MINI-branded oil *is* Castrol, but I've never had any luck finding the same formulation at local stores. The MINI oil meets the ACEA A3 specs and is BMW LL rated, while none of the Castrol I've found in stores meets both specs. There's a "German Castrol" out there that some people have found in local stores that meets all the same specs as the MINI oil, so I think that's the particular formulation that MINI is rebadging.
MINI branded oil over here should be LL-01, not 04. 04 is designed for low sulfur fuels which we don't have here in the USA. So the oil you get at MINI should be rated for the USA. Either way it is rebranded Castrol but that doesn't mean that it is the best because MINI uses it, it is just a deal that was struck between Castrol and BMW.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:02 PM
daflake
6th Gear
The problem with the Magnuson-Moss Act is that it has no teeth. In theory, the dealer/manufacturer should have to conclusively prove that the damage/failure resulted from your choice of parts or materials before denying a warranty claim, but the reality is that you can't force them at gunpoint to honor a warranty claim. When M-M is brought up in the real world, the conversation usually goes something like this:

Dealer: I'm sorry, we're not going to repair your engine under warranty because you're using Nology spark plug wires and a non CARB-approved cold air intake.

Customer: But the engine failed from lack of lubrication - those mods aren't even related! The Magnuson-Moss Warranty act says you can't deny warranty coverage unless you can show that my modifications caused the problem.

Dealer: I'm sorry sir, but we're not honoring the warranty claim.

Customer: But..but...bu - MAGNUSON-MOSS!!!!

Dealer: Sorry, if you want to go any further, you'll have to sue us. See you in court. Hope you have lots of time and money lying around!
That is what a lawyer is for... I have yet to see a warranty denied for plug wires or an air filter.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:08 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by daflake
MINI branded oil over here should be LL-01, not 04. 04 is designed for low sulfur fuels which we don't have here in the USA. So the oil you get at MINI should be rated for the USA. Either way it is rebranded Castrol but that doesn't mean that it is the best because MINI uses it, it is just a deal that was struck between Castrol and BMW.
I didn't specify either LL-01 or LL-04, simply because I don't have a bottle of the MINI oil here at my desk. My point was just that even though the MINI oil *is* rebadged Castrol, that doesn't necessarily mean that you can walk into Wally World and buy the exact same stuff for less (or at all).

The following users liked this post:
Sinistershade (10-11-2017)
Old 11-23-2011, 03:13 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
That is what a lawyer is for... I have yet to see a warranty denied for plug wires or an air filter.
That was an extreme example, to be sure, but the point was that the M-M Warranty Act can't actually force the dealer/automaker to do jack-****. As you said, that's what lawyers are for, and they can get real expensive, real fast.

I mod my cars too, but at the end of the day, if you're hoping to maintain warranty coverage, you have to think about what mods you're willing to make, whether or not they're easily reversible, how your dealer views aftermarket modifications, and whether or not you're providing your dealer with an easy excuse to deny coverage.

Relying on the MMWA to somehow force the dealer's hand in a warranty issue isn't going to get you anywhere.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:19 PM
daflake
6th Gear
I didn't specify either LL-01 or LL-04, simply because I don't have a bottle of the MINI oil here at my desk. My point was just that even though the MINI oil *is* rebadged Castrol, that doesn't necessarily mean that you can walk into Wally World and buy the exact same stuff for less (or at all).
I was talking about the German Castrol, that is LL-04. That was my point and you are probably correct unless it states that it is LL-01 equivalant.
Relying on the MMWA to somehow force the dealer's hand in a warranty issue isn't going to get you anywhere.
Still, the comment was that he didn't want to run other oil because it would void his warranty and we know that this is never going to happen. First, they would have to prove what oil it was and no dealer is going to go that far. That was my point... Slap a new pulley on there and you might have a fight if you pop an engine.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:36 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Here is a link to MINIs list of approved oils, you have to scroll down a bit to see it.

http://www.miniusa.com/faq.jsp?categ.../maintenance-m

Amsoil is not on that list.

Disreputable dealers have denied warranty claims saying that the owner didn't use "Top Tier" gas. I'm not saying that it is the right thing for them to do, but some do deny claims for stupid stuff like that.

It's just so much easier to put an approved oil in the car and avoid a lot of grief from a dealer, who is looking for an excuse to deny a claim.

Besides, Amsoil can't possibly be that much better than any other premium synthetic oil. I'm not saying Amsoil is bad, it is probably very good, but I skeptical that it is more than incrementally better. So, for me, it is not worth the potential hassle.

Dave

Old 11-23-2011, 03:41 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Sometimes is can be pretty obvious to the dealer that you're not running the MINI oil. For a while, I was using BioSyn RLI 5W-30, which is a plant-based synthetic oil. It doesn't look or smell anything like petroleum-based oil, so I was taking a chance and betting that I wasn't going to have any unrelated engine problems while I was using it.

Another interesting thing about the M-M Act is that a manufacturer CAN make the use of THIER consumables a requirement for warranty coverage, as long as they provide the consumables at no cost to the purchaser. So, if MINI ever wanted to be really snotty, they're within their rights to force you to use their oil and filters in order to maintain warranty coverage, at least during the 3/36k maintenance agreement where they're doing the oil changes at no cost. I'm not saying they'll ever do it, but it's there in the M-M Act.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:51 PM
daflake
6th Gear
As far as the MM is concerned let's just let it go. I didn't bring that up and really don't care. I agree that leaning on the MM is a bad idea anyway but I have yet to hear of any dealer denying (even disreputable ones) a claim based on oil. Sorry, I ain't buying it and if your oil meets or exceeds the standards then you shouldn't have a problem.

As for what Dave posted, thanks for the link. If you continue to read it just below the list it CLEARLY states that you can use a Synthetic oil that meets or exceeds the API standard of SM and then states the "good stuff". So, you are not tied to using only those oil in the list, you need to read the entire paragraph, not just pull out what you think it means.

As I stated, use what you want. However, don't bash on something that you have no clue about. Motul and Amsoil are both great products and like I said I have seen a huge difference in both my high milage, raised on the autobahn vehicles.

Last edited by daflake; 11-23-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:08 PM
proximal
4th Gear
I was talking about the German Castrol, that is LL-04. That was my point and you are probably correct unless it states that it is LL-01 equivalant.
The spec sheet on Castrol's website lists German Castrol as LL-01. That's what I recall being on the labels as well.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:13 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
I haven't bashed Amsoil, or Motul. Until this thread, I hadn't even heard of Motul.

I'm just skeptical that they are any better than any other premium synthetic lubricating oil.

I won't jump through any hoops just to get an oil that I think is, at best, marginally better than the oil I can get at my nearby MINI dealer.

I really didn't realize that people could be so passionate about a brand of oil!?
I didn't mean to get anyone upset.

Dave

Old 11-23-2011, 05:27 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by proximal
The spec sheet on Castrol's website lists German Castrol as LL-01. That's what I recall being on the labels as well.
Don't know about the stuff that is bought here as I never really bought any. However, the Castrol I bought when I lived in Germany was LL-04. I don't think that I saw an LL-01, however, I could be wrong. If it is LL-01 it is probably just rebranded.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:29 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I haven't bashed Amsoil, or Motul. Until this thread, I hadn't even heard of Motul.

I'm just skeptical that they are any better than any other premium synthetic lubricating oil.

I won't jump through any hoops just to get an oil that I think is, at best, marginally better than the oil I can get at my nearby MINI dealer.

I really didn't realize that people could be so passionate about a brand of oil!?

Dave
Well, when you make it sound like the dealer is selling snake oil out of the back of his trunk then I do get a little offended. That being said, it is your car and you can put whatever you want in it.

Trust me, I was skeptical at first as well until I tried it.

Last edited by daflake; 11-23-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:20 PM
ciscorob
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because your reasoning isn't founded on much more than B.S. that is why it is offensive. It reminds me of people who have computer problems and blame "the network" because someone told them green Cat5 cables are worse than white.

It is obvious you are sold on a bunch of retarded "formulations" which is nothing more than a scheme to get people who are naive to purchase that. Most companies aren't going to pay a company to "certify" their oil and for that I am happy because most car makers just use that as a scare tactic for the less educated.

It is obvious you haven't turned a wrench for a living in your life and probably haven't rebuilt enough engines in your lifetime from various conditions to understand how premium oils can protect the most commonly worn areas of your engine. To each their own...you can continue to purchase that "mini" relabeled oil and I will continue to keep using Amsoil and having my engine around for 200,000 miles like the rest of my cars.

Dave

Old 11-23-2011, 07:29 PM
gixxerjasen
4th Gear
Look look look everybody! A virgin! It's his first oil thread!!!!!

Old 11-23-2011, 08:10 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Actually, I was a Lincoln-Mercury mechanic, until I went to engineering school.

I was hoping to get into the automobile engineering business, but instead got sidetracked to large industrial diesels. Such is life (sigh).

I have a small stable of British cars that I have restored, I love cars!

You can believe what you want, but really, the differences between between different brands of premium synthetic lubricating oils is insignificant!

Dave

Old 11-23-2011, 09:18 PM
MisterClean
3rd Gear
Actually, I was a Lincoln-Mercury mechanic, until I went to engineering school.

I was hoping to get into the automobile engineering business, but instead got sidetracked to large industrial diesels. Such is life (sigh).

I have a small stable of British cars that I have restored, I love cars!

You can believe what you want, but really, the differences between between different brands of premium synthetic lubricating oils is insignificant!

Dave
Being a mechanic doesnt make you experienced with oils

Having cars doesn't make you experienced with oils

Believing what you want may help you sleep well at night but that's all

If hospital A was slightly better than hospital B.....which would you choose for care? The difference might be insignificant to you but the engine feels it.

How many threads do I have to read that say the same thing. It's either "I believe" or "I think"....either try the product or provide hard core research against it. To be a productive thread it needs to be free of speculation is all I'm saying.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:19 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Quick Q: Do BMW only dealers carry the Mini OEM oil filter? (Possibly the same as one of the BMW models?)

Old 01-14-2012, 02:02 PM
ciscorob
2nd Gear
Every time I ask the BMW dealer the answer is no.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:43 AM
AAONMS
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bottles of recently purchased Castrol EDGE with SPT 0W-30 European Formula (Made in Germany) show BMW Longlife-01

More info than most would ever care to know about oil (Hope you have plenty of time to kill ):
www.bobistheoilguy.com
www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/
www.bobistheoilguy.com/engine-oil-analysis/

Old 01-15-2012, 11:16 AM
b&WCM
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by yyj3869
I think I'm going to use the fluid evacuator,liquivac
LiquiVac Small Engine Model (capacity 3 quarts) http://www.liquivac.com/buyonline

do you guys think it's enough capacity?
Thats the wrong model to use for regular car engines. That one is designed primarily for lawnmowers, snow blowers, etc.

Liquivac makes another model that holds 5 or 6 qts that is designed for regular engines and it has a better pump to help remove any sludge.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:40 AM
b&WCM
3rd Gear
Here is a link to MINIs list of approved oils, you have to scroll down a bit to see it.

http://www.miniusa.com/faq.jsp?categ.../maintenance-m

Amsoil is not on that list.

Disreputable dealers have denied warranty claims saying that the owner didn't use "Top Tier" gas. I'm not saying that it is the right thing for them to do, but some do deny claims for stupid stuff like that.

It's just so much easier to put an approved oil in the car and avoid a lot of grief from a dealer, who is looking for an excuse to deny a claim.

Besides, Amsoil can't possibly be that much better than any other premium synthetic oil. I'm not saying Amsoil is bad, it is probably very good, but I skeptical that it is more than incrementally better. So, for me, it is not worth the potential hassle.

Dave
Dave, actually Amsoil is on the list.

It meets the requirements in the first sentence after the specific brands listed. "Use only synthetic oils with an API rating of SM or higher". That qualifies Amsoil. Also I believe Amsoil has their own warranty that they will cover the cost of repairs to any engine that is damaged using their oil and is refused warranty service by the dealer.

I would also bet that you could enlist Amsoil to raise a lawsuit against Mini on your behalf if a dealer refused warranty service because you used Amsoil.

Also that list is different than what is in the Owners Manual. Mine recommends Castrol Synthetic 5w-30. This list only shows Castrol European blend 0w-30.

I'm not trying to talk you into using Amsoil. I am just saying that I would not worry about voiding a warranty as Amsoil does meet the necessary requirements to fulfill the warranty agreement.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:13 PM
gixxerjasen
4th Gear
Just out of curiosity...how exactly does a dealer determine what oil you used in your car when denying a warranty claim?

Old 01-15-2012, 01:55 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen
Just out of curiosity...how exactly does a dealer determine what oil you used in your car when denying a warranty claim?

They don't... Most people just think there is a conspiracy. The most they will do is possibly send a sample out to see if the oil is bad or simply check to see if it is low. That is about it.

Quick Reply: R56 what kind of oil filter and engine oil do you use?