R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 what kind of oil filter and engine oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:01 PM
yyj3869
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
what kind of oil filter and engine oil do you use?

I'm planning to change the engine oil by myself. please let me know recommendation for brand and price, Thank you

Last edited by yyj3869; 01-15-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:06 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Only use OEM filters. We've had problems with aftermarket filters.

Also we have a kit if it's your first time.
R56 oil change kit

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 11-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
I get filter kits (includes o-ring and crush washer) from the dealer for around $10 (as i recall last time I bought - I pick up more than one a visit). I prefer to use the OEM but have had luck with MANN for GEN1 (I change oil for some local owners too - they are either not mechanical or don't have a garage) In the early days there were many who had problems with filters from other than MINI ... seems to be not so today but why take chances?

Lately I've been using Mobil One 0-40 European Car Formula which I find at WalMart for around $6.50/qt - about a dollar a quart less than any auto part store around me. Previously I used CASTROIL (sp?) - just be sure you get 100% synthetic, not a blend . . . if you can find the 5 qt containers you may get it at a better per qt price. I've had folks bring over many different (full syn') names and weights (within reason) and have yet to see anyone have a problem. But note I live in Florida and cold weather performance is not much of an issue around here.

If you find you must buy filters over the web - don't buy one - the shipping will kill you. Buy 'em by the half dozen (some vendors have deals); or buy other stuff you might need at the same time to consolidate shipping $$. If you buy other than MINI, be sure you get a crush washer seal (may have to buy sep'ly)

Last edited by Capt_bj; 11-06-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:08 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
I only use OEM filters and have used MANN on occasion.. they are made in Germany and may even be the company making them for MINI.

Tried Mobil 1 5W-30.
MINI brand oil
Castrol Gold
Amsoil

BEST = Amsoil.....for 4-5K miles it runs/sounds like I just changed the oil. And I never burn a drop.

WORST = Castrol Gold was terrible. Engine ate it up like it was going out of style.....

Old 11-06-2011, 03:37 PM
igotboost
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oem filter and Mobil 1 0W-40 euro formula

Old 11-06-2011, 03:40 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by igotboost
oem filter and Mobil 1 0W-40 euro formula
Been using the same (OEM filter Mobil 1 0w-40) with zero side-effects or oil consumption.
As noted above, DO NOT use an aftermarket oil filter; the quality is not up to par.

- Erik

Old 11-06-2011, 03:47 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OEM filter and Royal Purple 5w-30.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:17 PM
ballandchain
4th Gear
I've only used OEM filters and oil. The OEM filters seem to be cheaper than those at Pep Boys or NAPA. Also, the spec'd out oil from MINI/BMW really isn't any more expensive than other places either.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:08 PM
MisterClean
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
I only use OEM filters and have used MANN on occasion.. they are made in Germany and may even be the company making them for MINI.

Tried Mobil 1 5W-30.
MINI brand oil
Castrol Gold
Amsoil

BEST = Amsoil.....for 4-5K miles it runs/sounds like I just changed the oil. And I never burn a drop.

WORST = Castrol Gold was terrible. Engine ate it up like it was going out of style.....

+1 to Amsoil

Old 11-06-2011, 10:10 PM
rick92f
1st Gear
This is what I use and recommend:

Purflux L358 oil filters or MINI branded filters (same filter)

Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula, Castrol 0W-30 (AKA "German Castrol"), or MINI branded motor oil 5W-30. - These oils are all approved by MINI. There are 2 additional oils on the list (Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra 5W-30 and Valvoline SynPower 5W-30) but I have not used them.

http://www.miniusa.com/#/contactFaq/faq/maintenance-i

Whatever oil you choose make sure it meets the BMW LL01 requirement.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:55 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I get my oil and filters form my dealership, cheaper than parts stores or Mobil 1.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Spridget
4th Gear
I went the dealer route as well. I figured that A. the factory knows best what my car needs, B. if something goes wrong they can't blame my choice of oil and filter, and C. the dealer gives a generous 20% discount if you're a member of the St. Louis MINI Club.

Spridget

Old 11-07-2011, 10:23 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
MINI brand filter and MINI brand 5W-30 oil.

My dealer gives me a 10% discount on parts because I am a member of a local MINI club.

Dave

Old 11-07-2011, 10:24 AM
pheatton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Spridget
I went the dealer route as well. I figured that A. the factory knows best what my car needs, B. if something goes wrong they can't blame my choice of oil and filter, and C. the dealer gives a generous 20% discount if you're a member of the St. Louis MINI Club.

Spridget
This is the best advice I can offer. Cant tell you how many times I saw people with mechanical engine issues and come to find out they used Amsoil or Royal Purple. Now Im not saying these are bad products but from experience working at a dealer for ten years they are not all they are cracked up to be IMO. After all those who designed the engine really know best.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:39 PM
yyj3869
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I think I'm going to use the fluid evacuator,liquivac
LiquiVac Small Engine Model (capacity 3 quarts) http://www.liquivac.com/buyonline

do you guys think it's enough capacity?

Old 11-07-2011, 02:19 PM
selder
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by yyj3869
I think I'm going to use the fluid evacuator,liquivac
LiquiVac Small Engine Model (capacity 3 quarts) http://www.liquivac.com/buyonline

do you guys think it's enough capacity?
Sounds like it's only enough capacity for the first 3 quarts......but I assume that you can use it in two stages...

Old 11-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Dave_07
2nd Gear
I am happy with the Mann filters. I only use Walmart oil in the Mini, Vette, and Camry (synthetic for the first two). The Camry has well over 200k miles on Walmart dino oil and burns about 1/2 what the Mini burns on synthetic.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:16 PM
6speedwtneed
4th Gear
OEM filter and Mobil 1 5w30. Can't convince me otherwise... Jk amsoil and motul are sweet. Just have to order. No where to get in my town

Old 11-08-2011, 06:50 PM
kayakxb
1st Gear
OEM filters and mini branded 5w30 syn oil. I have used Mobil1 euro blend 0w40 in the past. I have been able to get the filters for $11.25 and the oil for $6.75 a quart at a relatively local mini dealer.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:56 PM
ciscorob
2nd Gear
Do please provide an example of what happened to someones engine running Amsoil? What mechanical issues are we speaking of and are we sure they are lubrication related? I find that driving like a moron and going from red line 4th gear into 3rd will damage any engine regardless of oil.

I ran Mobil 1 in my race CBR600rr for two seasons and each season we saw considerable wear on the engine to the point where it needed machining. Also, shifting (because this is a wet clutch I am talkin about) was horrible as I got into my 5th or 6th lap. When I switched to Amsoil not only did my engine temperatures remain normal the entire race my clutch operated like a champ too. When the season was over on my 3rd race season we only put in new rings in the engine and fired her back up because the wear was no where near what it would have normally been with Mobil 1. There are plenty of Dry Clutch Ducati guys that switched to Amsoil and never looked back as well in the event my scenario is going to be 'invalidated' due to it being a wet clutch.

I have yet to see anyone 'destroy' their engine using a specific brand of oil. Some people go the cheap $19.99 oil change route and we all know what happens with those engines later in life. Mobil 1 is excellent stuff you can get anywhere and will work fine (used it in my Trailblazer and it had over 250,000 miles on it when I sold it). Amsoil has always been my preference and thankfully I am dealer so I just order it for myself and use it.

The problem is that with cars you can't really recognize the difference a high quality oil does for the engine because you aren't sitting directly on top of it. For non-turbo non-high performance low stress situations I choose Mobil 1. For turbo, high performance and/or high stress environments I choose Amsoil hands down.

Originally Posted by pheatton
This is the best advice I can offer. Cant tell you how many times I saw people with mechanical engine issues and come to find out they used Amsoil or Royal Purple. Now Im not saying these are bad products but from experience working at a dealer for ten years they are not all they are cracked up to be IMO. After all those who designed the engine really know best.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:41 PM
MisterClean
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ciscorob
Do please provide an example of what happened to someones engine running Amsoil? What mechanical issues are we speaking of and are we sure they are lubrication related? I find that driving like a moron and going from red line 4th gear into 3rd will damage any engine regardless of oil.

I ran Mobil 1 in my race CBR600rr for two seasons and each season we saw considerable wear on the engine to the point where it needed machining. Also, shifting (because this is a wet clutch I am talkin about) was horrible as I got into my 5th or 6th lap. When I switched to Amsoil not only did my engine temperatures remain normal the entire race my clutch operated like a champ too. When the season was over on my 3rd race season we only put in new rings in the engine and fired her back up because the wear was no where near what it would have normally been with Mobil 1. There are plenty of Dry Clutch Ducati guys that switched to Amsoil and never looked back as well in the event my scenario is going to be 'invalidated' due to it being a wet clutch.

I have yet to see anyone 'destroy' their engine using a specific brand of oil. Some people go the cheap $19.99 oil change route and we all know what happens with those engines later in life. Mobil 1 is excellent stuff you can get anywhere and will work fine (used it in my Trailblazer and it had over 250,000 miles on it when I sold it). Amsoil has always been my preference and thankfully I am dealer so I just order it for myself and use it.

The problem is that with cars you can't really recognize the difference a high quality oil does for the engine because you aren't sitting directly on top of it. For non-turbo non-high performance low stress situations I choose Mobil 1. For turbo, high performance and/or high stress environments I choose Amsoil hands down.
Thank you sir! There seem to be these type people in forums that hate on a product like Amsoil without personal experience or facts.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:57 PM
gixxerjasen
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MisterClean
Thank you sir! There seem to be these type people in forums that hate on a product like Amsoil without personal experience or facts.
I don't trash on amsoil and have never used it. But there's been a few high and mighty Amsoil reps who've gotten onto some boards I've been on that have really soured the brand name for me. Wonderful sales techniques to push someone away from your brand.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Doug W
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After a service tech at my dealership showed me what the old Mann filter (that I had installed) looked like when he pulled it out, I'll never use those again.
It's strictly OEM filters for me!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:20 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Dealer is much cheaper for approved oil than the auto parts store. If I can't make it to the dealer I get Mobil 1 0W-40 European formula.

Last edited by strobeyprobey; 11-18-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:52 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow not much love for Royal Purple here. I love that stuff.

Quick Reply: R56 what kind of oil filter and engine oil do you use?