R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Help with brake squealing !

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Powashiftin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with brake squealing !

Just had new centric rotors, ebc red stuff pads, stainless steel lines and fluid changed. I'm hearing a crazy squeal from the brakes. I didn't get new sensors. Could that be it? If not, what could it be??

Help!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:34 PM
proximo
3rd Gear
Brake squealing is generally caused by two metal pieces rubbing together. I would look to see that the brake pads had brake grease applied between it and the caliper (every spot the brake pad touches the caliper -- both pads per brake). Vibrations in the braking process cause this.

The sensors will not cause this.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:58 AM
cccplus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you 'bed' in the new brakes properly?

Old 11-12-2011, 02:50 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you driven them 1000 miles? IIRC EBC has statement with the pads saying they will not even talk to you about noisy pads until they are bed in, which they say may take that long to bed in.(depending on driving)

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/typicalq&a.shtml

3. Brake Squeal - Automotive Only!
Brake squeal often happens during the first few hundred miles of use as pads bed in to a new or used rotor. Provided that you have the latest engineering specification of pad with center line slots, edge chamfers and black noise reduction shims on the reverse of the pads, please wait until you have achieved 1000 miles of driving before evaluating brake noise. If you have EBC Brake pads that do not have these shims, and are located in mainland USA we will post these to you free of charge. In early production some EBC REAR fitment pads did not have noise shims. We offer to mail these free of charge if you have rear brake noise which is the most common. Rear brake noise can develop even when rear pads have NOT been changed as the more efficient front pads take up all the brake load and leave the original rear pads under-utilised. This will necessitate changing the rear pads to the same pads as in the front or if the original rears are also non shimmed, you may be able to solve with adding shims to those. Ask us for a free set of shims for those pads which we are happy to supply at no charge. It is quite common with performance pads to hear a once only screech when REVERSING from a cold start. This is because of the change in geometry of pad and rotor alignment in reverse motion. When driving forward the noise should not repeat.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/...ds/index.shtml

Last edited by HRM; 11-12-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:42 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Do you have a JCW?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by HRM
Have you driven them 1000 miles? IIRC EBC has statement with the pads saying they will not even talk to you about noisy pads until they are bed in, which they say may take that long to bed in.(depending on driving)

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/typicalq&a.shtml

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/...ds/index.shtml
+1 million that is exactly how redstuff acts and it takes around that long for them to quiet down.

OP your fine it will go away.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Powashiftin
2nd Gear
Thanks guys! Braking is fantastic with this setup. I've only driven about 200 miles. I haven't "bed" in the brakes yet. I'm waiting until 500 miles with the new setup. Still hear a lot of what I'd say is "metal on metal" squealing.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
EBC uses a special 'break in coating' - until you burn thru that you aren't even to the 'real stuff' yet.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:01 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The EBC's will squeal, but not terribly so. If you've driven on them for any period, you should go bed them in and see if they still squeal. The longer you wait, the less likely EBC will replace them. I had some issues with a set of Red Stuff pads I used on my previous car and their customer service was fantastic and replaced them right away once it was reported within the first few hundred miles.

Also, just a side note, but worth quickly having a look at...a lot of shops don't realize that the EBC's come with a shim (it's black) already on the pad and will often put another one on top. This would cause a metal on metal surface and could cause the squealing you hear. Otherwise, as someone mentioned above, there might not be enough grease on the pad backing.