R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Bras - ins and outs

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boosted_Mini
Victoria Secret - Bombshell

Its the best one on the market.
I really hope I don't know anybody personally on this forums that i don't expect, but the bombshell is an incredible bra <--gotta go on record

Old 11-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Boosted_Mini
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Drobinson1692
I really hope I don't know anybody personally on this forums that i don't expect, but the bombshell is an incredible bra <--gotta go on record
Sometimes I feel like it is false advertising.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Going Gray
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too favor the clear bra, although there is a trade-off with the small line across the hood. But you don't really see it unless you're looking for it. It is far superior in my opinion to the cloth or leather that no matter what you do ends up causing scratches and other damage to your paint. You'll also spend considerable time removing and reinstalling every time you wash your baby.

Many dealers outsource the clear bra, add some profit for themselves, and average cost for partial hood and bumper here from the dealer is $700. For the same price take delivery and go to a 3M authorized tint/bra shop. For the same price or less you should be able to get the hood, bumper, lights, A pillars, mirrors and top of roof (next to windscreen which also can get rock chips). Check their warranty, which should cover peeling, cracking, yellowing, bubbling and installation for 5 years.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:40 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RSchleder
I worry about dirt, sand, etc getting behind a bra and really screwing up the paint!
Not only is this true but the worst part is our paint is basecoat/clearcoat. When the bra rubs on the clearcoat, it will leave it hazy on top of any possible scratches.

The leather bras are good if you are looking to take a trip, your car is clean, it doesn’t rain and you remove it when you get done.

I wish I had taken pics of the Honda minivan we to paint a few weeks ago because the owner had a bra on the front. The paint was deteriorated beyond repair except to be stripped and repainted.

My .02 worth...

Mark

Old 11-18-2011, 11:40 AM
oldtruckpainter
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by minidoofus
Depending on your model, could be size "S"
If "she" is going to wear a bra, it should be clear!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
The bra is definitely not a long term thing, you can't put on and forget about it like the clear bra. If it rains or gets wet you need to take it off or the paint could cloud up under the bra, depending on how dusty your environment is you need to take off at least once a week and clean the dust/dirt from under the bra.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:15 PM
germanguy
1st Gear
I have the clear bra on mine. Its looks fine but my only complaint is that it makes the black bonnet stripes look darker vs the area that doesnt have the clear bra

Old 11-19-2011, 10:21 PM
germanguy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RSchleder
I worry about dirt, sand, etc getting behind a bra and really screwing up the paint!
Thats definetly not an issue. I live in the desert and i havent had a single issue with that yet

Old 11-20-2011, 01:40 AM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
How about painters tape? I use it whenever I travel distances farther than 100 miles and I barely have any rock chips.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:34 PM
minidoofus
2nd Gear
To cap this off (maybe), I took the plunge and had the full hood treatment with clear protective film, 3M. I had them remove the headlight trim, rear hood trim, grill trim, and windshield washers. This was a difficult job but they did a great job, wrapped around all edges to underneath. The trim put back covers the edges of those areas. three "splits", one below the badge and each light, barely noticeable. They did a great job and I am very happy with it. You cannot tell it is there.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:51 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Originally Posted by germanguy
I have the clear bra on mine. Its looks fine but my only complaint is that it makes the black bonnet stripes look darker vs the area that doesnt have the clear bra
I'm trying to figure out this sequence now myself. If you get a full hood clear bra is there any reason you couldn't put the bra on first and the stripes on top of it? I know you can't do that with the 1/2 bra because the bra material is about 8 mils thick and the stripes wouldn't lay flat.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:52 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minidoofus
To cap this off (maybe), I took the plunge and had the full hood treatment with clear protective film, 3M. I had them remove the headlight trim, rear hood trim, grill trim, and windshield washers. This was a difficult job but they did a great job, wrapped around all edges to underneath. The trim put back covers the edges of those areas. three "splits", one below the badge and each light, barely noticeable. They did a great job and I am very happy with it. You cannot tell it is there.
Do you mind if I ask what it cost? I'm pricing clear bras now.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:41 AM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Anyone tried clear Plastidip spray?

Old 12-02-2011, 05:50 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Have had bras on previous cars and IMHO they do more harm then good. Traps in dirt and rubs between paint and bra and cause scratching and never seem to be able to get the damage out. After the front gets chipped up enough just get it painted again. Wouldn't be that much more than clear install.