R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 All clean after all the blackout work

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 06:04 AM
Axion
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely like it, the A-pillar looks great. Keep it up, also I have been waiting for the handle covers as well :(

Name:  IMG_1573.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  295.5 KB

P.S
How did you fare with your beltline kit from OutMotoring? I just recently did mine (After picture) and it just didn't seem to be perfect, I might just be picky.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:06 AM
windman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by anitan1
onefish2,
What is the trim kit on your "before" pic? Is that the non-JCW aero kit? Or it that the stock bumper?
Do mean to speak for onefish but that is just the regular JCW with out the aero kit on it. I had the same thing and you if you look at my post you can see how i changed it.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:12 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Drobinson1692
Eh not my style. I think the PW's look better with body color trim like me and Drewsters. The flat black looks like you tried to find every feasable piece to cover IMHO.
Originally Posted by onefish2
Not my thread but I will chime in again. To each their own. I think the car looked horrible with painted arches.
Originally Posted by mergemini
While that Panda photo is pretty funny, I'll have to agree with onefish2, definitely not a fan of the painted trim.
He didn't say anything about painted arches, he was talking about the black rings around the headlights and tail lights. I don't mind the OP's look, but I think the black fenders and the "audi-style" bumper vinyl are a little over the top. To me, when entire body panels are a different color, it looks like they came from a junkyard and are yet to be painted.

Interesting look though!

Old 11-21-2011, 11:50 AM
mergemini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Axion
Definitely like it, the A-pillar looks great. Keep it up, also I have been waiting for the handle covers as well :(

P.S
How did you fare with your beltline kit from OutMotoring? I just recently did mine (After picture) and it just didn't seem to be perfect, I might just be picky.
Those are the same stripes I had before converting! Was never a fan of white vehicles until I saw the PW mini. I always had a vision of the black & white theme. Glad ya like the a-pillar combo!

I too am not sold on the beltline kit. Looks good until you get close. Even a sliver of exposed chrome sticks out!! Minor bubbles and getting it to truly tuck under the rubber mold makes it just look OK. I also ran out!! If you look at my photos, I never finished the hatch. I'll need to order another roll from Outmotoring so it matches. Thought about eventually painting it, but that seems like a nightmare.

My door handles were order on 11/1. I were told they were back ordered and it would 2 -3 weeks. After waiting 3 weeks, I'm trying to be patient, but expect them to be worth the wait. One thing I need to finish it off (accept the hatch beltline!!!).

Love your Scuttles!! I think that may be too far for me. If I didn't have the a-pillar, I would definitely do that! Looks great!

Also love your tinted headlights!! How did you do that? Spray or film? Joey? Looks great!!! Did you do the tail lights as well?

Old 11-21-2011, 11:51 AM
christomapher
4th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
I don't mind the OP's look, but I think the black fenders and the "audi-style" bumper vinyl are a little over the top. To me, when entire body panels are a different color, it looks like they came from a junkyard and are yet to be painted.
+1. It looks unfinished, or like a couple body panels were replaced because of an an accident and the only replacement color was black, but as long as he likes it!

Old 11-21-2011, 11:52 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by anitan1
onefish2,
What is the trim kit on your "before" pic? Is that the non-JCW aero kit? Or it that the stock bumper?
That was an option from the factory called the factory aero kit.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:54 AM
mergemini
2nd Gear
He didn't say anything about painted arches, he was talking about the black rings around the headlights and tail lights. I don't mind the OP's look, but I think the black fenders and the "audi-style" bumper vinyl are a little over the top. To me, when entire body panels are a different color, it looks like they came from a junkyard and are yet to be painted.

Interesting look though!
Don't get me wrong, your ride is nice! Certainly wouldn't complain if it were mine. Again, really just looking for something a bit unique to set mine apart. Always been a fan of flat black on cars, so I'd have to disagree with the junkyard look. Have you see the flat black mini on Vinyl Styles website? Amazing! Obviously not a fair comparison, but it looks really nice.

Anyway, still appreciate the feedback, good or bad. We all have our own taste and that's what I love about Mini!!

Old 11-21-2011, 01:06 PM
gp89
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minibeagle

That big hunk of black between the hood and the door really detracts from the car's looks IMHO
^^ This! I think if you changed that to white it would be super clean and flow nicely! my .02

Old 11-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Axion
3rd Gear
Those are the same stripes I had before converting! Was never a fan of white vehicles until I saw the PW mini. I always had a vision of the black & white theme. Glad ya like the a-pillar combo!

I too am not sold on the beltline kit. Looks good until you get close. Even a sliver of exposed chrome sticks out!! Minor bubbles and getting it to truly tuck under the rubber mold makes it just look OK. I also ran out!! If you look at my photos, I never finished the hatch. I'll need to order another roll from Outmotoring so it matches. Thought about eventually painting it, but that seems like a nightmare.

I had the exact same issue but I emailed them and they sent me a extra 10' or so. The bubbles and the little bit of silver is driving me mad. I thought about taping it all off and using plasti-dip and exacto knifing the extra.

My door handles were order on 11/1. I were told they were back ordered and it would 2 -3 weeks. After waiting 3 weeks, I'm trying to be patient, but expect them to be worth the wait. One thing I need to finish it off (accept the hatch beltline!!!).

They will be worth it! I can't wait to get my hands on them

Love your Scuttles!! I think that may be too far for me. If I didn't have the a-pillar, I would definitely do that! Looks great!

Thanks I loved doing that since I couldn't live with the amber signal showing through the clear.

Also love your tinted headlights!! How did you do that? Spray or film? Joey? Looks great!!! Did you do the tail lights as well?
It is just a Joey mod but they look super black without my headlights being on. They look a lot better with the lights on. I am planning on ordering the spray touchup PW and painting the projector head in PW so it pops.

I tried the tail lights with VHT one day but they were so dark that I had to remove it with Goo-off. I am going to attempt it again but need to take my time and wet sand in between layers.

Thanks for all the compliments. Definitely looking to see what else you do to your PW Also, if you have any questions, gladly let me be of assistance =P

Oh, I also did this with the Mini Emblem:

Name:  2011-11-15_08-38-22_714.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  146.4 KB

And here are the lights on

Name:  2011-10-28_16-27-17_679.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  261.7 KB

Name:  2011-10-29_00-20-17_114.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  100.5 KB

Old 11-22-2011, 05:32 AM
mergemini
2nd Gear
It is just a Joey mod but they look super black without my headlights being on. They look a lot better with the lights on. I am planning on ordering the spray touchup PW and painting the projector head in PW so it pops.

I tried the tail lights with VHT one day but they were so dark that I had to remove it with Goo-off. I am going to attempt it again but need to take my time and wet sand in between layers.

Thanks for all the compliments. Definitely looking to see what else you do to your PW Also, if you have any questions, gladly let me be of assistance =P

Ahh, you're the one who did the Halo's on your lights. Those are amazing!! I'm not brave enough to tackle my lights yet. Simple reversible mods for now, and nothing mechanical (baby steps). Love that look though!

Let me know how you turn out with your tail lights. I'd like to tint mine as well, but I don't want them too dark. What did you use for your side marker lights?

Any other mods you would suggest? Love having a car I can do small projects with. My next purchase is an original Austin Mini. Early next year is my hope.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:38 AM
Axion
3rd Gear
Ahh, you're the one who did the Halo's on your lights. Those are amazing!! I'm not brave enough to tackle my lights yet. Simple reversible mods for now, and nothing mechanical (baby steps). Love that look though!

Thanks!

Let me know how you turn out with your tail lights. I'd like to tint mine as well, but I don't want them too dark. What did you use for your side marker lights?

I did VHT NiteShade just like what I am using on the Tails but much easier to do the wetsanding on the full tail lights. I might do them this weekend when I get time away from work.

Any other mods you would suggest? Love having a car I can do small projects with. My next purchase is an original Austin Mini. Early next year is my hope.

Simple Mods:
-AccessPort
-Auto-Sport Mode
-Plasti-Dip spray the grill surrounds
-My "badge" Mod for the Mini Wings
-Oh another easy one is swapping your mic in the dome from right to left side (Makes it a little clearer to record your sound on Bluetooth)
-Rear Wiper Delete
-VHT Niteshade the Amber/Red side marking lights so they blend in

Any other questions, just let me know. I am still working on my LED mode for my JCW dash of LED Red to LED Blue/Purple

Old 11-22-2011, 06:27 AM
gixxerjasen
4th Gear
So you are asking for opinions so here goes.

Count me in the list of "Not a fan of the black panel between the hood and the door.

Door handles you've covered, but if you are getting rid of the chrome then you gotta tackle the scuttles somehow. If you keep the black body panel then maybe some PW from ColorRite on the scuttles but leave the red S.

At first I liked the wide mouth look but after examining the pics a bit I don't think I'm a fan of that either. The lines just don't work out right.

Other than that I'm a fan. I love the PW with the black accents on the car. I've never been a fan of chrome on any of my vehicles so I try to do stuff to reduce it. That's why when I saw mine in my color with most of the backout already done I was sold. I've had to go back and do some touch up and I've removed the plastidip over the S's on the scuttles which I don't have pics of yet. However I'm also planning on redoing some stuff with Vinyl as it looks far better than the plastidip.

I do like your sport stripes though, which is what I'm leaning to do on mine sometime in the near future. And just so I can ***** it up with the rest of them.... :D

Old 11-22-2011, 11:51 AM
mergemini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen
So you are asking for opinions so here goes.

Count me in the list of "Not a fan of the black panel between the hood and the door.

Door handles you've covered, but if you are getting rid of the chrome then you gotta tackle the scuttles somehow. If you keep the black body panel then maybe some PW from ColorRite on the scuttles but leave the red S.

At first I liked the wide mouth look but after examining the pics a bit I don't think I'm a fan of that either. The lines just don't work out right.

Other than that I'm a fan. I love the PW with the black accents on the car. I've never been a fan of chrome on any of my vehicles so I try to do stuff to reduce it. That's why when I saw mine in my color with most of the backout already done I was sold. I've had to go back and do some touch up and I've removed the plastidip over the S's on the scuttles which I don't have pics of yet. However I'm also planning on redoing some stuff with Vinyl as it looks far better than the plastidip.

I do like your sport stripes though, which is what I'm leaning to do on mine sometime in the near future. And just so I can ***** it up with the rest of them.... :D

Except for the obvious, your is similar to what mine would look like minus the black a-pillars. Definitely a nice, clean look!!

Here is another shot of the widemouth look:

Not a great photo, but a better angle. I really think it adds to the look. I get the love or hate with the black a-pillars, that is definitely a preference. If the widemouth wasn't a precut piece, I would probably have managed it a bit differently. The inner portion should be black all the way down to the lower lip. Either way, I think it looks pretty cool.

PW Scuttles may be cool actually! Black would definitely be too much with the black pillars, and I would like to lose the chrome. Might have to photoshop that one!

I too think I will convert my plastidip to vinyl. Not disappointed in the plastidip, but I do think the vinyl will offer longevity.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:44 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
FYI- everyone has black a-PILLARS (the pieces between the windshield and the front windows). The pieces you blacked out are called the a-PANELS or some people call them fenders. Just letting you know since I keep getting confused and looking back at the pictures for something I missed.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:49 PM
mergemini
2nd Gear
FYI- everyone has black a-PILLARS (the pieces between the windshield and the front windows). The pieces you blacked out are called the a-PANELS or some people call them fenders. Just letting you know since I keep getting confused and looking back at the pictures for something I missed.

Sorry, my bad. Meant panels, not pillars.

I think I'll just start referring to them as side burns.

Last edited by mergemini; 11-22-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:55 PM
mergemini
2nd Gear
Simple Mods:
-AccessPort
Too pricey for me! But I would love it.

-Auto-Sport Mode
On my list!

-Plasti-Dip spray the grill surrounds
Already done

-My "badge" Mod for the Mini Wings
Not sure due to them overlapping the black strips on the back. Too much?

-Oh another easy one is swapping your mic in the dome from right to left side (Makes it a little clearer to record your sound on Bluetooth)
Already made this change!

-Rear Wiper Delete
Not sure on this one. I like the rear wiper. Columbus is known for it's grey skies!

-VHT Niteshade the Amber/Red side marking lights so they blend in
Definitely will do this one!

Any other questions, just let me know. I am still working on my LED mode for my JCW dash of LED Red to LED Blue/Purple
Sounds interesting! Do you mean you are looking to change all of your interior lights to (that you can't change) to blue/purple? Wild!!
I'm also looking to modify some of the settings so I can have windows and sunroof close with keyfob, one touch (really two) sunroof opening/closing, etc. There is a thread on NAM that sounds pretty doable. Cable is only $50 and it lets you make some cool changes.

I also installed the JCW intake. Simple mod, had some credit at the dealer and chose that. Not sure I notice a difference, but it's an upgrade!

Old 11-22-2011, 02:55 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
I really like your black hood scoop & the wheels. I want black rims for my MINI but as of yet, I am too lazy to make it happen :P Would you suggest buying black wheels or just painting them? I have the stock rims with the MINI logo in the middle still.

Also, someone mentioned a black MINI logo and I saw that my local dealer that runs the MINI rallies in my area has them. I kind of like them. Does anyone know where to find it?

Oh, I also did this with the Mini Emblem:

Did you just paint it?

Old 11-22-2011, 02:58 PM
mergemini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LILYisatig3r
I really like your black hood scoop & the wheels. I want black rims for my MINI but as of yet, I am too lazy to make it happen :P Would you suggest buying black wheels or just painting them? I have the stock rims with the MINI logo in the middle still.

Also, someone mentioned a black MINI logo and I saw that my local dealer that runs the MINI rallies in my area has them. I kind of like them. Does anyone know where to find it?
I pained mine. A ton of work, but turned out pretty good. LOVE the look. If they dont' hold up, I'll invest in some black rims. It was a fun weekend project.

Aesthetic Creations sells emblem covers that turns them black. A lot of people plastidip them and trim out the center. Quick, easy and reversible way to see if you like it. Vinyl Styles sells vinyl wrapped emblems as well.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Axion
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LILYisatig3r

Did you just paint it?

Just taped and sprayed the whole emblem and took a exacto blade and cut out the circle. Very easy way to do it.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:16 PM
mergemini
2nd Gear
I had the exact same issue but I emailed them and they sent me a extra 10' or so. The bubbles and the little bit of silver is driving me mad. I thought about taping it all off and using plasti-dip and exacto knifing the extra.
Thanks for the tip. I emailed them and they are sending me enougH to finish my hatch, at no charge. I even offered to pay!! Great customer service from Outmotoring!!!

Old 11-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Axion
3rd Gear
Thanks for the tip. I emailed them and they are sending me enougH to finish my hatch, at no charge. I even offered to pay!! Great customer service from Outmotoring!!!

I love OutMotoring! They have been excellent throughout everything for my MINI. Hope you can finish the beltline soon. I am thinking about taping mine off this weekend and Plasti-Dip spraying it even though I am dealing with my DDM HID bulbs burning out in my headlights :(

Old 11-23-2011, 12:37 PM
mergemini
2nd Gear
I love OutMotoring! They have been excellent throughout everything for my MINI. Hope you can finish the beltline soon. I am thinking about taping mine off this weekend and Plasti-Dip spraying it even though I am dealing with my DDM HID bulbs burning out in my headlights :(
Love to know how the Plastidip beltline project goes. Not sure I've seen anyone try that yet.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Axion
3rd Gear
Love to know how the Plastidip beltline project goes. Not sure I've seen anyone try that yet.

I will try to take photos but I am going to tape it all off with a cut in half drop cloth and just spray it on the back half. The front half is being removed and the plasti-dipping it. I am tossing you a PM with some more info, would love to keep more contact with you on your progress Other than this thread :D

Old 11-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Island maser
5th Gear
I like it blacked out.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Island maser
5th Gear
Would not attach the first time

Attached Thumbnails All clean after all the blackout work-jr1n3331.jpg  

Quick Reply: R56 All clean after all the blackout work