R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 JCW body kits installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:32 AM
cheezzcurlz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW body kits installation

Hi, got r56 S 2009. I'm planning to purchase the body kit soon.
How tough is it to install the JCW body kits? the dealer quoted me for labour installation around half the price of it and it will take 3 days to install. Sounds a bit frustrating.

saw this http://www.motoringfile.com/2007/12/...t-install-pdf/ but is there any page or DIY from how to uninstall the stock to installing new body kit?

do I have to acquire new fog lights?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 11-28-2011, 09:03 AM
BBoshart
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cheezzcurlz
Hi, got r56 S 2009. I'm planning to purchase the body kit soon.
How tough is it to install the JCW body kits? the dealer quoted me for labour installation around half the price of it and it will take 3 days to install. Sounds a bit frustrating.

saw this http://www.motoringfile.com/2007/12/...t-install-pdf/ but is there any page or DIY from how to uninstall the stock to installing new body kit?

do I have to acquire new fog lights?

Thanks in advance for the help!
I used that same PDF when I installed mine. It took me probably three hours in my garage with a couple jacks. Looking back, I could probably cut that time in half now that I know what to do. Just look at those instructions and your new parts and you can see where all the attachment points are.

I also used instructions from the Alta website (for their intercooler) to figure out how to remove the front bumper. The rear bumper was pretty easy. The scariest part was removing the side sills. Since they are attached with clips that appear to be one-time use only, you break all the clips and it sounds like you are destroying part of the car.

So it can definitely be done by yourself in your garage. I'm not sure why the dealer needs it for three days. Before I did mine, I had zero experience removing any body panels, and was timid about taking apart my brand new car, but in the end I'm glad I didn't pay the dealer for what turned out to be a pretty easy job.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:25 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
It's ridiculously easy, it just takes some time if you've never done it before. You could get the whole thing done with a friend in one Saturday with no problem. It takes me about 1 1/2-2 hours to get everything off the car. Putting it back on is about the same, if not less. It's a little harder if the car is already lowered though.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:31 AM
cheezzcurlz
1st Gear
o yah. i found this from helix intercooler http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpg4YodLiIw
tnx guys! u gave me the urge to push this. I don't have garage perhaps i'll mess up with my flat's parking area.

but regarding the fog lights shall I get new one? or just use the stock?

Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM
BBoshart
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cheezzcurlz
o yah. i found this from helix intercooler http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpg4YodLiIw
tnx guys! u gave me the urge to push this. I don't have garage perhaps i'll mess up with my flat's parking area.

but regarding the fog lights shall I get new one? or just use the stock?
You reuse your original fog light assembly.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:01 PM
deraj
Neutral
where did you guys buy your body kits? did they come pre painted?

Old 05-30-2012, 05:30 PM
BBoshart
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by deraj
where did you guys buy your body kits? did they come pre painted?
I had ordered mine pre-painted in 2009 with the newer-style front splitters and brake duct kit from Morristown MINI. The kit was $1600, splitters were $60, brake duct kit was $110, and shipping was $250.

So the total to my door was $2020. That was still hundreds cheaper than ordering it from my local dealership.

I think the kits now come with the new splitters and brake duct kit standard, but it doesn’t look like they offer factory-painted any more, at least through the dealership websites.