R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Against my better judgment, I opted for the extended maintenance...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 12:51 PM
d@g
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Against my better judgment, I opted for the extended maintenance...

I always decline any type of extended warranty/service plan based on the principle that the dealer wouldn't be pushing it if they weren't pure money-makers. Still, after buying a used (CPO) MINI on Friday and reading through the forums here, there are enough reports of earlier than normal clutch problems and brake repairs to give me pause. If I had been with the car since mile 1, I might feel differently, but with nearly 40K on the odometer, I'm a little concerned about the big unknown (how the previous owner treated the car).

When I started researching the extended maintenance program, I thought to myself -- I've been driving manuals for 30+ years and never wore out a clutch before 100K, and who pays the dealer-quoted $600 per axle for brake jobs??? Then I read a number of posts that started with "I've been driving manuals for 30+ years and never wore out a clutch before 100K until I had a MINI."

Anyhow, I got the dealer down to $1200 for the extended plan (6 yrs, 100K) with the standard coverage (clutch, brake pads, rotors, oil changes, cabin filter, etc.). If the car is anything like the VWs I drove for years, then I will be paying twice what I would have for brakes and oil changes. If the MINI needs one set of ($600) brakes and oil changes, then I'll about break even. Anything unknown/catastrophic (subject to "limitations" and all the ball-busting fine print), and I'll come out ahead.

One thing that does bug me is that you have to wait until the car tells you it needs something before they'll fix it. I can't get brakes done at 99K if there's no warning light (my understanding).

So the dealer's drawing up the paperwork now and I'll stop by in the morning to sign and pay. Last chance for anyone to talk me out of this ...

Last edited by d@g; 11-28-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Mini_Voyager
Motorholic
One thing to keep in mind with clutch is they may not cover the flywheel in the transmission, and that is the most expensive part of changing clutch, I think. So an extended maintenance (which is NOT the same thing as extended warranty) may only cover the clutch, but not the flywheel. The extended warranty (or even the "normal" warranty) doesn't cover clutch nor flywheel, unless you can prove either was defective at time of installation (good luck!).

I might get extended warranty to cover other problems, and set aside money for the almost inevitable clutch replacement.

In addition, keep in mind that these online forum tend to magnify problems out of proportional (after all most folks don't post to say "Everything's great, no problem" every so often ).

Good luck!

Old 11-28-2011, 01:50 PM
ocluck
2nd Gear
$1200 is a good price for extra 3 yrs maintenance.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:52 PM
d@g
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Voyager
One thing to keep in mind with clutch is they may not cover the flywheel in the transmission, and that is the most expensive part of changing clutch, I think. So an extended maintenance (which is NOT the same thing as extended warranty) may only cover the clutch, but not the flywheel....
Yes, you are correct, clutch is covered under maintenance, but flywheel is not. Next question is whether the flywheel is covered under the CPO warranty. I'm guessing not

Old 11-28-2011, 07:06 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dealer wanted C$3600 for the extended warranty with the lowest price they would go at C$3500. It was something equally ridiculous for the extended maintenance. They couldn't even properly explain what is covered... only saying 'everything' is covered. hmmmm.

Anyways hope it works out - I am hesitant to say it's a good deal because out of warranty work on a MINI at the dealership always seem to be a loosing (expensive) proposition!

Old 11-29-2011, 05:05 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you all confused?

Maintenance covers fluids, filters, brakes. Not clutches....

Warranty covers broken parts, clutches, transmissions, turbos...

The guy is buying a CPO MINI next... It's got warranty coverage for 6 years, or 100K miles.

I'd very carefully read what you are getting. For $1200, I'm betting you are buying the extended maintenance program, not the warranty...( since a CPO MINI Next already has a 100K warranty...)

And the maintenance program is a not a good value. You are likely to get 3 oil changes and a set of brake pads and rotors.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:03 AM
Mini_Voyager
Motorholic
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Are you all confused?

Maintenance covers fluids, filters, brakes. Not clutches....

Warranty covers broken parts, clutches, transmissions, turbos...

The guy is buying a CPO MINI next... It's got warranty coverage for 6 years, or 100K miles.

I'd very carefully read what you are getting. For $1200, I'm betting you are buying the extended maintenance program, not the warranty...( since a CPO MINI Next already has a 100K warranty...)

And the maintenance program is a not a good value. You are likely to get 3 oil changes and a set of brake pads and rotors.
I don't know about clutch, but I doubt the extended warranty will cover transmission (especially manual), as it's considered wear-and-tear item and can be easily abused. MINI appears to have somewhat substandard clutches and flywheel, based on reports by experienced drivers that had never burnt though their clutches before they got MINIs.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:38 AM
cop1406
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I purchased a 7 year 70,000 mile warranty from warranty direct. It covers the transmissiom but not the clutch. When I ran a quote, it was only $1200.00. I think part of this is because I am buying the warranty so early in the cars life.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:52 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
You should be able to get a clutch under the maintenance plan, it is a wearable item. Some dealers are not as forthcoming with replacing them under maintenance.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Mini_Voyager
Motorholic
Originally Posted by yetti96
You should be able to get a clutch under the maintenance plan, it is a wearable item. Some dealers are not as forthcoming with replacing them under maintenance.
I couldn't get the clutch replaced under factory warranty because it was a "wear" item. Unfortunately I couldn't spare the time to discus it with MINUSA and all that, so had to eat the cost and move on.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:22 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
I couldn't get the clutch replaced under factory warranty because it was a "wear" item. Unfortunately I couldn't spare the time to discus it with MINUSA and all that, so had to eat the cost and move on.
Thus the large difference between warranty and maintenance.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:15 PM
HKSpeed
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by d@g
after buying a used (CPO) MINI on Friday
How much was your CPO Mini? My wife just bought a 2008 Mini hardtop with 26K miles from a Mini dealer. The dealer said they have trouble selling CPO Minis, because you can get a brand MINI for a little more. The dealer claims our car was originally put on the lot as a CPO at $21K, but a month later they dropped the price to $18K and removed the CPO title.

Last edited by HKSpeed; 11-29-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:14 PM
blitzed310
2nd Gear
I highly doubt a clutch is covered under any type of warranty. I can see if the spring in the disk or the pressure plate fails, but a worn clutch is chalked up to the driver.

Oh and a new flywheel is around $1200 dealer cost! And they will tell you the FW cannot be resurfaced, um yes it can, they just don't want to because they can not warranty it (because they couldnt figure out how to properly do a surface mill and a step, nor do they have any machining equipment!)

Old 11-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Mini_Voyager
Motorholic
Originally Posted by blitzed310
I highly doubt a clutch is covered under any type of warranty. I can see if the spring in the disk or the pressure plate fails, but a worn clutch is chalked up to the driver.
Oh I agree, it is wear item. The problem is for some reason the OEM clutch isn't high enough quality to last the 100K+ miles that they should--after all a lot of other cars with manual transmission can last over 100K+ miles without replacement if the driver knows how to use it properly. I think I do know how to use mine properly, since my last car before this MINI last over 110K miles without any problems, and may be still going on for all I know--it was still working fine when I traded it in. So for a lot of us here, it's a bit frustrating that MINI doesn't think it is a problem for clutches to wear out after only 30K to 50K miles and blame the driver.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:43 AM
d@g
3rd Gear
In as many threads as I've read here on this topic, I still see many people interchange the two terms (warranty and maintenance plan). The Mini Next (CPO) warranty extends the new car warranty (with many limitations and a $50 deductible/visit) to 6 yrs/100K. That comes with every CPO car and is built into your price. It is a warranty against manufacturer defects and has nothing to do with maintenance or fixes for wear and tear items.

The extended maintenance plan extends the mini service plan for an equal amount of time (to 6 yrs from date of service or 100k), so any oil changes, inspections, and certain oddly identified W&T items are covered. Brake pads and rotors are covered. The clutch IS covered, but not the flywheel. Wipers (?!) are covered, but not bulbs (except for instrument bulbs). I think they threw wipers in there just to be able to say "Look, we'll even replace your wipers for you!".

I think someone else made the point well -- the extended maintenance plan is worth it if you always go to the dealer for service and value peace of mind over money in your pocket. If on the other hand, you can do your own service or have access to a good MINI mechanic and want to save money, stay away from the plan and pay as you go and you'll be better off.

In the end, for $1,200, I took the plan. Primarily because I know the dealership and, as far as dealers go, they don't suck quite as much as others do. I drive by the dealership every day on my way to work, can get a loaner, so service is super convenient. So I might have just paid $1,200 for four oil-changes , time will tell. It's basically insurance and they wouldn't even be offering the plan if it didn't make them money. But then, the same is true for the car itself, isn't it?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:38 AM
blitzed310
2nd Gear
^^^ If that's true about the clutch it's a pretty cool maintenance deal. But why did my R56 go through 2 clutches under the warranty and maintenance period and the dealer would not replace the clutch free of charge?

Oh I agree, it is wear item. The problem is for some reason the OEM clutch isn't high enough quality to last the 100K+ miles that they should--after all a lot of other cars with manual transmission can last over 100K+ miles without replacement if the driver knows how to use it properly. I think I do know how to use mine properly, since my last car before this MINI last over 110K miles without any problems, and may be still going on for all I know--it was still working fine when I traded it in. So for a lot of us here, it's a bit frustrating that MINI doesn't think it is a problem for clutches to wear out after only 30K to 50K miles and blame the driver.
I can agree with this. We bought our R56 used with under 40k, the service report showed a replaced cluth at 20k. When the engine blew up the dealer called me in to look at the clutch and the disk was on it's way out, however the FW was blue in some spots which led me to believe the PO would either drag the clutch, or dumped it alot (the PO was in her 50's so I doubt the dumping part).

I bought a sach's kit and had them put it in while they were replacing the engine.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:47 AM
ciscorob
2nd Gear
I see a lot of bickering about this subject. A few owners I know have almost 100K on their older minis and have a stock clutch. Why would you care to replace a not-so-good clutch with the same thing? Why not just look for a good deal on an aftermarket upgrade and perhaps a better flywheel that is lighter in weight to improve (slightly) engine response.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Tallman
3rd Gear
I just burped..........