R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 So, how do YOU get treated on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Subzero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had my 2012 since August 11, and my experience is different than I expected. The agression that I've seen has been less than my previous car, a very-base-model 1997 Eclipse which seemed to attract all kinds of wackos for some reason.

In my MINI, I've had next to zero issues on the road, fewer tailgaters than I experienced in the beater Eclipse. I am the opposite of someone who wants attention, but I figured based on what I've read here that tons of people would constantly be chatting me up about my car. But in 3.5 months, I have yet to have one person (other than family!) make a single comment either positive or negative. Then again, I wave constantly and have only received 4 waves back, so maybe it's just me!

j

Old 11-30-2011, 01:29 PM
withflyingcolors
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heh, I am somewhat near Boston and have had various reactions. I've had four women come up to me to tell me they LOVE my car (I'm female and it's Ice Blue so yea). I was laughed at by a guy in a pearl Escalade but other than that I just get stares that I can't really decipher. Sometimes I am like, wtf are these people looking at and I remember I am in an Ice Blue Clubman not a pewter Honda Accord anymore!

Old 11-30-2011, 01:38 PM
blitzed310
2nd Gear
I've never encountered "disrespect" in the R56, in fact it gets complimented everywhere on how it is now.
I consider it a compliment when people are next to me or the wife and do a little revving or drive spiritedly.
What I find interesting is that a riced out civic or sentra type car will never try and "play", but the bigger type cars will. I have the same mentality in my other cars, I would never "play" with a civic as it's not worth my time and my other cars would just embarrass them, yet I tend to more with the big boys.
With that said my R56 was whored out during an auto-x last year when the BMWCCA instructors got to drive one for their first time, they were all very surprised, the mantra of FWD still lurks with them. At least I got to take a 996 911, dedicated E36 M3, and a 02 with an S14 around the track since I let them take the R56 for some hot laps.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to be part of a decent size car club in VA and at the beginning I got some friendly jokes thrown my way. After my first cruise through the mountains (the western part of VA is right around some of the best driving roads in the country) and staying at the head of the pack with corvettes sti's and the like put an end to any jokes.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ex honda person here and since you dont live down the st from http://www.inlinepro.com/s1/ like i do... you must have not come across a well built Honda

I built my roomates b20 turbo which made 432whp with 236ftlbs after break in and that thing was a suicide rocket! You obviously have not come across high WHP civics or for that matter a 500+whp crv... Dont dog the vic's

lol

Originally Posted by blitzed310
I've never encountered "disrespect" in the R56, in fact it gets complimented everywhere on how it is now.

I consider it a compliment when people are next to me or the wife and do a little revving or drive spiritedly.
What I find interesting is that a riced out civic or sentra type car will never try and "play", but the bigger type cars will. I have the same mentality in my other cars, I would never "play" with a civic as it's not worth my time and my other cars would just embarrass them, yet I tend to more with the big boys.

With that said my R56 was whored out during an auto-x last year when the BMWCCA instructors got to drive one for their first time, they were all very surprised, the mantra of FWD still lurks with them. At least I got to take a 996 911, dedicated E36 M3, and a 02 with an S14 around the track since I let them take the R56 for some hot laps.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:45 PM
trwxxa
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
We acknowledge that the extra size and capabilities are only used infrequently, but like the saying goes, "when you need a truck, you *really* need a truck".
A few years ago, when I was looking for a new vehicle, I had a lot of friends say, "Why don't you buy a truck?" They, of course, touted how convenient it would be to be able to haul a couch or refrigerator when I need to.

Now I was not a math or accounting major, but I could not find any economic justification for making nearly $400 a month payments, and fill-ups north of $100 per, in the off-chance that I may need to tote a major appliance around once every couple of years. That's what I have truck-owning friends for.

Many folks do it though. And others feel the need to buy 8-seat, 15 mpg, road behemoths so they can take the "whole family" (usually, only 4 people if you don't include the dog) on trips. But how often do you see more than just the driver in one?

Whatever.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:46 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Drobinson1692
My favorite is when people say tricking out a mini is "overcompensating" I think they have no idea what that word means..
If they want to think that I'm driving a small car to compensate for my large, um, well... they are welcome to think just that!

Old 11-30-2011, 01:49 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by trwxxa
Now I was not a math or accounting major, but I could not find any economic justification for making nearly $400 a month payments, and fill-ups north of $100 per, in the off-chance that I may need to tote a major appliance around once every couple of years. That's what I have truck-owning friends for.
And my local Home Depot will rent me a small flat-bed truck that will put any pick-up to shame (for hauling capacity) for $20 an hour and I don't have to worry about paying the friend back by picking up his mother-in-law at the airport...

Old 11-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Jupiter
1st Gear
It's not cute, it's mean!

I read that somewhere, I just love it!

Old 11-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Creeve
I used to be part of a decent size car club in VA and at the beginning I got some friendly jokes thrown my way. After my first cruise through the mountains (the western part of VA is right around some of the best driving roads in the country) and staying at the head of the pack with corvettes sti's and the like put an end to any jokes.
We need to throwdown next car show weekend.

Regarding how Im treated out on the road. I would say that its no different. If you're an aggressive and aware enough driver, you should never run into issues just because you drive a smaller car. I own the road.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:47 PM
blitzed310
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
ex honda person here and since you dont live down the st from http://www.inlinepro.com/s1/ like i do... you must have not come across a well built Honda

I built my roomates b20 turbo which made 432whp with 236ftlbs after break in and that thing was a suicide rocket! You obviously have not come across high WHP civics or for that matter a 500+whp crv... Dont dog the vic's

lol
Must every post have an asterics with an exception? It's like the whole argument of 1-uping eachother. Obviously there are well built civics, but unfortunetly for every well built one there are 100 that are not.

I'll match your civics with an M20 turbo I used to have. My traction will own you, please don't get me started on civics on a road course, high HP is meaningless if you cant drive it. We can 1-up eachother all day long.

And I dont dog civics, in fact I get all gitty when I see one at the track because 99% of the time they are prepped well for track (most are never high HP like you mention because you can not transfer the power to the pavement).

Ex Honda CRX, Accord, and 500RR owner speaking...

edit/ for clarification track to me is a road course, not a staight line where brakes and turning the steering wheel are not required.

Last edited by blitzed310; 11-30-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:09 PM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
I've noticed people tailgate and cut me off or not even see me on the road more in my MCS. Maybe because I'm in a small car and not a sport wagon. I'm a former BMW driver and I use to get all kinds of attitude on the road driving that. But I always get positive comments about the MCS. From every walks of life. I have noticed that most MINI drivers around my area are not that friendly. So it's a surprise to be waved at or flashed.

Last edited by mikeyb74; 11-30-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:20 PM
blitzed310
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mikeyb74
I've noticed people tailgate and cut me off or not even see me on the more in my MCS. Maybe because I'm in a small car and not a sport wagon. I'm a former BMW driver and I use to get all kinds of attitude on the road driving that. But I always get positive comments about the MCS. From every walks of life. I have noticed that most MINI drivers around my area are not that friendly. So it's a surprise to be waved at or flashed.
I've owned the R56 for over a year now and I have only once been waved at/flashed by another MINI, and they are everywhere were I live.

I've also been a BMW guy all my life, and every week I get a nod from another bimmer driver...

Old 11-30-2011, 04:44 PM
CalsonicSE
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Drobinson1692
I know where you're coming from. My first R56 justa got a lot of flak from people, but the new JCW is a bit more respected. Some people who know nothing about cars see my baby as a ricer. But those in my home town know they can't make fun of the car because it'll blow the doors off anything they drive.
Sorry, you set yourself up for this. If your JCW can blow the doors off any car in your town, your town must be filled with pretty slow cars. Truthfully, JCWs are nice, but by no means a fast car (unless you mean in corners).

Back on topic, the only I time I got some flak was driving my R57S w/the top down. As I slowly cruised by these two guys (I'm guessing early 20s) in their old POS car, they yelled out "AUSTIN POWERS!" Sorta funny, I guess? But stupid nonetheless.

Generally speaking though, MINIs are widely accepted here in the bay area. There are tons in SF. Great city car!

Old 11-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
The best reaction that I ever had to either of our Minis was shortly after we got our 1st one. I was in my old home town, away from any Mini dealers, went by a group of High School girls and one screamed (as only a High School girl can) "I want one of those!!!". That was my wife's Justa. My "S" gets little attention but when it does, it is generally good. We have driven from upstate NY to Savannah twice in the Justa with no problems with people. The only "issue" that we have had is when my wife goes to the supermarket. Typically she will find a big pickup truck or SUV parked next to it when she comes back out. Like a "mine's bigger than yours" thing.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:02 PM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blitzed310
I've owned the R56 for over a year now and I have only once been waved at/flashed by another MINI, and they are everywhere were I live.

I've also been a BMW guy all my life, and every week I get a nod from another bimmer driver...
I had more bimmer drivers waving and flashing at me when I was driving the e46 and the e30.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:15 PM
globalscan
1st Gear
I only get negative comments and actions from douche bags and they really don't count to me.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Geebob
1st Gear
My wife and I were at a State Park last Sunday and as we walked onto the parking lot toward my car, there was a guy taking a picture of his wife standing in front of my Chili Red. I felt kinda honored!
When someone tells me my car is cute, I say "Yeh, and it's got a cute little, bad azz turbocharger too!"

Old 11-30-2011, 07:40 PM
cereal
4th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
My story is pretty much exactly the same. Except I do get a lot of people trying to race me, especially GTI's.
Already had a GTI try to race me in my first month of ownership...I was not impressed.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:57 PM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
I haven't had anyone trying to get me to race in my MCS but when I was driving my BMW I would everyone and their brother trying too. Come on I'm in a 180hp awd slushbox 10 year old BMW wagon! But I did own a Mustang in some twisties.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:11 PM
miniblucabrio
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
For the most part I've had pretty good luck with the mini. I actually have an easier time getting people to move over a lane on the highway when i come up behind them. I drove a ram 1500 pickup with 35" tires on it before the mini and couldn't get people to get out of my way in that thing.
I have had a few cars that wanted to play from a new civic si who didn't last long a modded saab which was pretty quick. Actually got a decent compliment from him at a light after a couple runs "Man that thing rips!"
Have to say my best moment in the Mini was getting a thumbs up and wave from a guy in a Lotus and a couple in a Ferrari The three of us were staying together for a few miles on the highway going slightly more than the limit

Old 11-30-2011, 08:40 PM
sidthekid
1st Gear
Attitude make all the difference

When I first stepped into my MCS from a Camry hybrid, I was appalled by the the number of times I would get cut off, get purposely blocked from merging in after turns, and get laughed at (I am 6'2"). Often the same people who would do these things in their Explorers and GMC SUVs would later give me "lets race" gesture and speed away while I continued to drive like a sane person.

A few weeks ago, I pulled into an Gas station and stepped out wearing my funky and colourful Vibram Fivefinger shoes(also something I take a lot of strange looks and comments for) and two kids in the car next to me went into a frenzy of excited yelps and finger pointing. The father eventually brought his two kids over to check out the Mini and my shoes, asking questions about why I chose these shoes and this vehicle. I wiggled my toes and lit up the dash and interior lights for the kids, while explaining the biomechanics of a mid-foot strike stride and the solid chassis, handling and great balance of the Mini to the father.

These shoes and this car are fundamentally the same. The Vibrams stand out from the crowd just like the Mini, both in design, minimal space, light weight and pure feel. You can get by in most situations with them, but as we have become accustomed to huge cars and padded shoes people's perspectives have become skewed. The Vibrams let me run faster, more naturally and leave a grin on my face much like the Mini. I realized these two products are about changing perspectives, and to do so I had to drive my Mini like I wear my Vibrams.

I now drive more briskly, using the Mini's handling advantages in traffic to prevent any idiots from bullying me. I still follow the rules of the road and keep safe distances, but assert myself enough that no one questions the Mini's sporting intentions. Wear it proud, wear it loud and they will learn.

P.S. Vibrams are also great for doing Heel and Toe downshifts with your actual heel and toes!

Old 12-01-2011, 04:36 AM
Axion
3rd Gear
Sadly there are some people that just are rude. I get a lot of tailgators when I am driving in my JCW around Houston...drives me absolutely mad. Then I have no idea why but I always have people yell stuff at me when I am passing through our mall area about my JCW.

=P Thankfully I can just turn up my radio and cruise along

Old 12-01-2011, 05:05 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Only a couple weeks new to Mini's with my 2012. No disrespect so far. In fact quite the contrary.

The first day I took it out a Subaru WRX pulled up next to me smiled, down shifted and took off like a bat out of hell with a huge roar! Two rice rockets have tried to coax me in the last week as well. I haven't had this kind of attention since my 1280 dual weber Porsche alloyed Cal Bug days as a teenager.

Get a clue Tuners! Do you see an "S" on the back? It's a JUSTA!!!

Old 12-01-2011, 07:08 AM
cereal
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlackIce
Get a clue Tuners! Do you see an "S" on the back? It's a JUSTA!!!
Don't think the S will blow everything off the line, sure its faster and has a turbo that is a blast but I can't imagine someone buying a MINI for the speed aspect. I know I bought mine entirely because of the handling!

Quick Reply: R56 So, how do YOU get treated on the road?