R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 The real scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:47 PM
7t-onemonte
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The real scoop?

Ok, I read alot of posts here, Im also a member of a classic Monte Carlo forum (hence the screen name)and I dont read negative stuff about a Monte on that forum. Im anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new 2012 MCS, and I get worried at times thinking Im making a bad decision with the purchase. Im replacing a 02 Chevy Trailblazer, using the MCS as a daily driver.I have a 2005 YukonXL Denali and a 71 Monte Carlo as well. Ive always loved the look of the MINI,and have done alot of reading up on them, and absolutely loved the ride I took in one as a test drive, I was out for almost an hour on all sorts of roads. Ive never had a problem with my Trailblazer,and have owned it for 100k miles! I need some input from people who own these cars (MINI's) who are happy with them, I keep reading how people are bailing out of their MINI, and how people regret buying them, Am I being realistic thinking that the problems Ive read about have been handled as of the 2011 model year? I have never ordered a car built to my specs,and Im so excited to get it, but I cant help but wonder if Ive made a bad decision, the reviews seem to be split here, people defintately love thier MINI's, but there seems to be a bit of a love/hate relationship. Anyone care to fill me in on their experiences with the cars, what can I expect here? I want to love my MINI, and Im hoping for nothing but great things to come.
Thanks in advance for any help here
Tony
Help from the experts would be greatly appreciated here

Old 12-03-2011, 06:53 PM
kat1689
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have had a few issues with my MINI but I still love every second that I drive it! I've driven a lot of cars but there's nothing like my baby

It's true though, MINI's have their quirks so be prepared.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have an 07 and it has 70k miles on it. I have had a few problems in the 3 years I have had it. One being the clutch pedal which was replaced under warranty. The 2nd was the clutch which I changed out at 60k miles. And my current one is the timing chain needs to be replaced. Other then that it has been pretty reliable for me. There are a lot of people that come here with their problems to find help. I am pretty sure there are problems with the Monte and you probably see the same thing on the Monte forums. I had an 84 that was in serious need of help about 10 years ago. You should be fine. Just remember that there is a warranty for a reason.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:12 PM
rvrgn84
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 7t-onemonte
Ok, I read alot of posts here, Im also a member of a classic Monte Carlo forum (hence the screen name)and I dont read negative stuff about a Monte on that forum. Im anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new 2012 MCS, and I get worried at times thinking Im making a bad decision with the purchase. Im replacing a 02 Chevy Trailblazer, using the MCS as a daily driver.I have a 2005 YukonXL Denali and a 71 Monte Carlo as well. Ive always loved the look of the MINI,and have done alot of reading up on them, and absolutely loved the ride I took in one as a test drive, I was out for almost an hour on all sorts of roads. Ive never had a problem with my Trailblazer,and have owned it for 100k miles! I need some input from people who own these cars (MINI's) who are happy with them, I keep reading how people are bailing out of their MINI, and how people regret buying them, Am I being realistic thinking that the problems Ive read about have been handled as of the 2011 model year? I have never ordered a car built to my specs,and Im so excited to get it, but I cant help but wonder if Ive made a bad decision, the reviews seem to be split here, people defintately love thier MINI's, but there seems to be a bit of a love/hate relationship. Anyone care to fill me in on their experiences with the cars, what can I expect here? I want to love my MINI, and Im hoping for nothing but great things to come.
Thanks in advance for any help here
Tony
Help from the experts would be greatly appreciated here
I just bought my mini in August. While this isn't a long period of ownership, I have not had a single problem. Also, I wouldn't let the negativity of a lot of the posts on this site bother you. Most people are only going to post here when they have a complaint, and you're not going to hear from the people who have had nothing but positive experiences with their minis unless you ask them.

Stop worrying. You have a great car on the way.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I have an 08 MCS and though I've had loose engine mounts (warranty), a broken vanity mirror (warranty), and a window dipper issue that fixed itself, the car is solid. A couple of months ago I thought I'd leave Mini and go for a Lexus IS 250... Even though the Lexus was perfect, I mean PERFECT in every way, I just couldn't connect with it, it was as exciting as a toaster. I ended up trading in my Lexus for my old Mini that was still on their lot. They thought I was nuts and so did I but I really enjoy driving my Mini and I think you will too.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:02 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My last MINI was a justa (not MCS) so not entirely the same but it was in the shop several times for minor issues like rattles, rear hatch interior trim loose, etc. The only two "mechanical" issues were the sunroof getting stuck when hot which in hindsight I should have left alone... and rear suspension bushings that wore out. I also had a power window motor and solonoid(?) replaced.

Everything was done under warranty and I was given loaners or rides to work.

From what I've been reading, you may want to worry someday about worn clutches and rattle of death (maybe not so much on the new revised engines).

I guess personally I am most worried about the chain tensioner / rattle of death issues.

I just hit 1,100 km today and am loving my JCW... minus the lack of lumbar on the leatherette seats - to be fixed shortly... and the fact that the JCW is LOUD as a highway cruiser - not an issue as I don't spend much time on highways.

I get constant compliments and it just doesn't look like much of anything else on the road. Other than a BMW 1M, I can't think of too many cars that I would prefer to own right now.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:53 AM
7t-onemonte
2nd Gear
I cant say Im regretting this decision at all, just worried at times. You all have eased my mind a bit, I think its worse just sitting here reading the boards thinking about it, once the car arrives I will be fine. Thanks for the reassurance, I guess its back to tracking the boat and waiting! Supposed to be at port on 12/14!!! Probably just in time for snow here

Old 12-04-2011, 05:04 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
New car buyers expect different things than classic car enthusiasts. It's a dang British car, we are lucky they are as reliable as they are! Being an obvious car enthusiast, I think you will probably appreciate the unique and great driving experience enough to overlook the quirks.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:35 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
All new cars can have a problem, not just MINI's. Just look at the new car initial sales ratings by JD Powers... You'll probably be fine.

I've had my 2010 MCS just over 2 years, and the only issue has been the hood scoop is getting replaced. That's it. So far, it's been a great car. and averaging 31 mpg driving like a complete idiot isn't bad either...

Old 12-04-2011, 05:44 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Bought my 07 MCS this past August with 57,000 miles on it. Now has 62,300. The only thing I've had to do is replace the thermostat/housing (leaking), battery, etc. Have a 2 year warranty on the thermostat so should be ok. Other than that it's great. Done a number of mods (mild ones) that will basically help engine longevity like oil catch can. Love driving it.
I think there are alot of good running Mini's out there and if you take care of it and don't beat it, it'll probably be just a good as any other vehicle.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
About 1600 happy miles so far!

Old 12-04-2011, 01:26 PM
AustinS
4th Gear
Ok...I dont read negative stuff about a Monte on that forum...
Maybe you should not read the negative stuff on this forum.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:50 PM
7t-onemonte
2nd Gear
I meant that the Monte owners arent negative at all about their cars, never anything bad to say! I guess its because its a classic car, your really dedicated to it, but the MINI seems to be that way too! I just didnt like reading all the stuff where people were dumping the MINI for something else, I tend to hang on to my cars for a long long time, and Im hoping to do the same with the MCS, although it seems I may want to get another one when warranty time is running out I get so much enjoyment from driving the Monte, I know it will be the same way with the MINI.
Heres a link to my Monte page, did the resto on it myself.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/262132...et-monte-carlo

Old 12-04-2011, 02:40 PM
danigurrl
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just sold my 2009 Justa for a 2012 MCS. The Justa had 53k on it and never a single problem except needing a window reprogrammed (warranty) because of the window retract feature stopped working (although the window itself still went up and down fine.) That's the only quirk the car ever had. I loved it so much, I'm getting the new MCS. So I say: good decision!

People are more likely to post when they've had problems, which is why it looks like the car has a lot of trouble. In reality, it's probably a small percent of owners who have serious problems with their car. It's like looking at a restaurant's reviews online; people are more apt to post complaints than compliments.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:53 PM
minimartin
1st Gear
I got nervous too after reading some of the issues. I picked up my car in September and still can't wait to drive it every day. I have never ever ever had so much fun in a car. Even if there are problems down the road, it will be worth it. I have 2 friends with MINIs and they feel exactly the same way.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:05 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Agree with danigurrl - people will post negatives before positives. Restaurants is a good example. Have read terrible reviews and have eaten at them and I thought it was great. Getting back to the Mini, I love mine and no more issues than with any other car/truck/motorcycle I've owned.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:16 PM
PatM
6th Gear
My wife's MCS has 43K on it and did have the cold start problem. But it was fixed under warranty. No other problems at all. Car runs perfect.
I traded in my 09 MCS when it had 26K on it and it was perfect the whole time I owned the car. I traded it in on the Coupe that I own now. The Coupe has 2100 perfect miles on it thus far.

I think you will be fine. Just take care of it, service it when it needs it, check the oil frequently, rotate the tires every 5 K and you should be good to go.

Last edited by PatM; 12-05-2011 at 06:23 AM. Reason: sp correction
Old 12-04-2011, 03:26 PM
7t-onemonte
2nd Gear
There will be no issue with me maintaining the car, Im a nut with that stuff and always on top of it. It will be even easier now that its all included!
All of the comments here have helped, and I agree with the restaurant review comparison, it was just foreign to me due to the fact that the only car forum I view regularly, has no complaints about the cars they love, but I do see the difference now. Cant wait to start enjoying the car,all the reading and looking at accessories is giving me a headache

Old 12-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Take the "all included" with a grain of salt. The Condition-Based Service usually tells MINI owners to change their oil at about 15K miles, while most here think that's double (or more?) the appropriate interval.

I'll probably change my oil in between the dealer changes myself. Coming from a 1990 CRX, even 7500 miles will still feel like a very long time.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:26 AM
MichaelinA2
1st Gear
Ok, I read alot of posts here... Im anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new 2012 MCS, and I get worried at times thinking Im making a bad decision with the purchase.
Sounds like a touch of 'buyer's remorse' to me... every one gets it as they launch into a new adventure... I get it all of the time (even when the adventure is not new )... no need to pre-worry about things that have not happened... you made a good decision... after 20 days of MINI motoring you'll be just fine...

Cheers and enjoy...

Last edited by MichaelinA2; 12-05-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:22 AM
Mymojomini
2nd Gear
Now that my daughter is older ,my wife decided that she wanted to get rid of the mom can and get something fun to drive again.At first I was skeptical.She was looking at an older one and I had read a lot about the timing chain issue.
We decided that because the dealership I work for also has a Mini dealer,that we would look at a new one.We took 3 for a ride.1st was an automatic which I did not like.2nd was a Countryman which just didnt feel like a Mini to me.Finally we got into a Clubman S with a 6 speed.Once I drove it we knew this was the car for us !
Car handles great,zips right along and the best part was I was able to get it for employee pricing. Well now we are hooked. Have already done a car show and a toys for tots rally with it. My wife tells me what she wants to do with it and I make it happen. We already have different rims and tires for the winter,new mirror covers,hood scoop,racing stripes,mud flaps,gps holder,red interior trim,JCW shift ****,stubby antenna,color matches brake scoops,center arm rest and we aint done yet
Final word......Buy it you will love it! I think mine is slowly morphing itself into a JCW !
We bought it for my wife but I want to drive it every chance I get
Check out my profile for pictures.....

Last edited by Mymojomini; 12-05-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:06 PM
highlander709
4th Gear
I'll add my $.02. I have had my MCS Hardtop since March and no issues in almost 14K miles. Love it everyday. Can't think of anything I'd rather have except possibly an Audi TT S or RS or Porsche Cayman / Boxster and I could own two MINI's for the what one of those would cost. Oh yea, 33 mpg in everyday driving (38 mph Hwy) is a bonus. My son has an 09 MCCS with close to 50K and his only issues have been a rear brake caliper and the timing chain. He follows MINI recommended maintenance and changes oil/filter when the obc says. On the other hand, I am "old school" and change oil/filter every 5K. My heart tells me he might have avoided the timing chain thing had he followed a more frequent maintenance routine.

Regarding the Monte Carlo forum and no complaints - it's a classic car thing. I follow three classic Porsche sites and you won't find compliants there either. Anyone with a classic car wears permanent rose colored lenses and feels bad when the say something the least bit negative about their pride and joy.

One piece of advice, "drive it like you stole it". Others told me that and I wasn't convinced at first, but I am now. You need to hit 5500 rpm at least once or twice a day - it puts a smile on your face and makes your motor feel umm umm good.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Kfriceman
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Had the same internet horror stories; after I bought my 2001 Mercedes ML430. Over ten years later and 156k on the odomoeter all I've spent on the car has been fuel, oil, tires, brake parts, plugs, filters and a new power streering pump resevoir ($130).

People tend to jeer more than cheer.

-Kevin

Old 12-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Originally Posted by highlander709
I follow three classic Porsche sites and you won't find compliants there either.
There are some groups (e.g., the 914 nutcases) who seem convinced that there is something wrong with their car when it is not on jackstands...

Old 12-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Seriously, rvrgn84... Did you have to post the original post for your answer? Sorry, but my pet peeve.... the "quote" for no good reason.... Did you really need the quote? Save for future reference...

7t-onemonte, comparing a new MINI forum to a classic MC forum? Apples, etc. I've had the Dread Pirate for a year, almost to the date and the only problem I've had was wasting the from run flats...

Quick Reply: R56 The real scoop?