R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Union Jack on Roof?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:48 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Union Jack on Roof?

Anyone have or had it? Does it grow old? Does it negatively effect resale value?

I originally was going to get the Union Jack on the roof for Comet. Here is a picture.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7..._Oak2Wa_R3.jpg

But I worried it was too flashy for me and it would grow old. Also, there was concern over resale/trade-in value.

I have only seen 2 or 3 MINI's with the UJ on the roof in my area. There may be more, but I haven't seen them.

I would like to see real cars with it. Presuming some have it could you post pics or links. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just recently had my Clubman done by a company here in town and I really like it. It is simplay a vinyl overlay and you can remove it at resale time if you are worried about resale. I'm not sure how long it will last. I guess time will tell. Anyways, here's a bad phone picture.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:41 AM
windman
2nd Gear
I have had mine covered since I got the car back in 2005. I have never had so much fun in a car!! Everywhere i went people would come up and want to see it. Every drive thru I went up to people had a smile on there face. I would pass cars and look up and see kids in the back seat giving me a thumbs up or telling there mom and dad to look at my car. I now have a 2010 JCW but I will never forget my 2003 MINI S with the UJ on it.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:55 AM
christomapher
4th Gear
Bear in mind, I am one for subtle classic high-design, rather than in-your-face look at me factor. And of course, it's just an opinion.

I believe that it's kind of silly to put a flag on your car unless it's your personal country of origin and you're very proud of that fact. If it's the car's country of origin, I find it a little strange. Picture someone driving a GTI with a big German flag on the roof, or someone driving a Corvette with a big American flag on the roof. To me, it would get old fast. It reminds me a bit of Austin Powers.

I understand that the MINI's roof is more of a canvas than most cars, however I think it's even more iconic to have a contrasting roof color rather than a pattern that may confuse people: Is it your nationality? is your car British? These cars are not BMWs? I thought MINI's were German?

Of course, you can change it if you get bored with it. Maybe I'm just an old man and I am no fun.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
One of the first things I did, when I got my MINI was to put a Union Jack on the sunroof. The graphic is perforated vinyl and it reduces light transmission by 25%, it is barely noticeable from inside the car.

The Union Jack on the roof has been common for Minis since the classic Mini days.

Dave

Old 12-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Traprock
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tank251
Anyone have or had it? Does it grow old? Does it negatively effect resale value?

I originally was going to get the Union Jack on the roof for Comet. Here is a picture.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7..._Oak2Wa_R3.jpg

But I worried it was too flashy for me and it would grow old. Also, there was concern over resale/trade-in value.

I have only seen 2 or 3 MINI's with the UJ on the roof in my area. There may be more, but I haven't seen them.

I would like to see real cars with it. Presuming some have it could you post pics or links. Thanks.
Check out my gallery.
Dealer did a poor job intalling. I had them redo it a week later. I love it.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:15 AM
mini4tide
3rd Gear
Its not a new idea. Its been around for many years, from the Austin Mini days. It looks great! If you like it, do it. Don't listen to geezers who have no understanding of the novelty that these cars are! Celebrate your ride any way you want!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:28 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I plan on putting on the MINI Black Jack sunroof decal on my '11 CR/Bl MCS. I like the look.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:30 AM
christomapher
4th Gear
Ouch. I am a geezer and have no understanding of the MINI novelty? Perhaps I am just a 27 year-old who has different tastes in design than some and instead appreciates subtlety and timelessness.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
Decisions.

Well I am an old geezer (Soon to be grandpa) and rather conservative most of the time. That is why I am torn. Part of me wants to make it unique. The other part doesn't want to be the owner of a clown car.

I am not British but I have English descendants from both sides of the family. German too. So either way I have the heritage.

There is also a village or town somewhere around Yorksire that carries my last name. I wonder if I am supposed to be collecting tribute or something from there.

If I could see the car with and without at the same time I might be able to tell better.

Thanks for the posts guys.

Last edited by Tank251; 12-05-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Add missing word.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:18 AM
christomapher
4th Gear
Well... the uniqueness of putting Union Jack on your roof is about as unique as finding stripes on our bonnets and contrasting roof colors. Check out http://minimotoringgraphics.com ... you may find a more original design there. I must say that the car is more fun and recognizable with graphics. Just pick something you won't get tired of, or it could be fun to switch it up periodically!

Old 12-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Originally Posted by christomapher
...is your car British? These cars are not BMWs? I thought MINI's were German?
This alone gives me reason to consider a UJ sunroof flag instead of the white overlay I was considering

Old 12-05-2011, 11:44 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
MINI's are built in England, except for the Countryman, which is assembled in Austria. All the other models are made at the same factory that the classic Minis were made.

MINI is owned by a German company but that does not make them a German car. If it did, then Chryslers are Italian cars.

Dave

Old 12-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Lorenzo
Neutral
Car mods are a two edge sword and a very personal part of MINI ownership. Some people will say a roof UJ is ostentatious, others will say it's fun, and others will say....oh who cares what others will say. A plain MINI is a starter kit for your enjoyment so do what you want. As for resale, when it's time to negotiate its exit expect the buyer to pick your car apart only to tell anyone who will listen how he beat you down in the process, then brag about what a bargain he got, and start the process over again. To heck with others say or think. Enjoy your MINI it's your car.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:40 PM
bigsoup52
6th Gear
This above all: "To Thine Own Self Be True."

Old 12-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Kirby11
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
One of the first things I did, when I got my MINI was to put a Union Jack on the sunroof. The graphic is perforated vinyl and it reduces light transmission by 25%, it is barely noticeable from inside the car.
Dave, where did you get your perforated sunroof decal?

I'm with the conservative folks here and am going middle ground - not having a graphic isn't me-ified enough, red white and blue seemed a little too flashy, but black jack is juuuust right.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:17 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
I had it made at a local Fast Signs, they make those graphics that go on the sides of buses, that you can still see through. It cost $200.00 installed.

Dave

Old 12-05-2011, 01:19 PM
pheatton
5th Gear
I have the St. Andrews flag on my BRG II/White Cooper S and I get A LOT of comments on it. I really like it plus most of my family is from Scotland. It is very cool IMO.

Plus I have not seen another MINI in town with the St. Andrews on it.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:31 PM
cereal
4th Gear
Had my UJ taken off (it was only on the sunroof) as my plan has always been putting stripes on instead and will be doing so on Friday. Though I do like the stripe down the middle flowing right into the UJ on the roof. Looks great done that way. Either way, do what you want. If / when you decide to sell and you don't get great offers then consider taking it off and try again! No harm done and you get to enjoy your car between now and then!

Old 12-05-2011, 01:36 PM
d@g
3rd Gear
I think it's perfectly fine if it works for you. It seems to fit the MINI's personality. Don't think it would work, though, if you had a PT Cruiser and slathered an American flag over the roof. Now in answer to your question about resale, I would think it would limit the attractiveness of the car in the aftermarket, since not everyone is into it. But again, if you like it, I say go for it!

Old 12-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Reebus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mini4tide
Its not a new idea. Its been around for many years, from the Austin Mini days. It looks great! If you like it, do it. Don't listen to geezers who have no understanding of the novelty that these cars are! Celebrate your ride any way you want!
Agreed!!! Well said.

Note:
51 year old geezer wanders off back to the bathroom for the
Sixth time today.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:57 PM
iMom2005
3rd Gear
Well, I can tell you that over-the-hill women, with the same clan name, as a certain Mel Gibson character, get the Lion Rampant on their MINI's roof.

I'm so glad I'm not a geezer, though.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:06 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I could not imagine my mini without the Union Jack. It's been on since Sept 2007. Still looks great!

Old 12-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rockridge
I could not imagine my mini without the Union Jack. It's been on since Sept 2007. Still looks great!
That looks awesome. Your car looks great. Thanks for the the picture.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:58 AM
ocluck
2nd Gear
rockridge, very nice. goes perfect with your color scheme!

Quick Reply: R56 Union Jack on Roof?