R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 My JCW has no name because its a car - build thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 02:22 PM
motor12
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The mods are fun,some work some don't.I must say i was impressed by the work and money invested. Untill i saw the rear spoiler thing, for me thats a bit to much looks like it belongs on a Civic. But thats my opinion....

Old 12-15-2011, 02:25 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by motor12
The mods are fun,some work some don't.I must say i was impressed by the work and money invested. Untill i saw the rear spoiler thing, for me thats a bit to much looks like it belongs on a Civic. But thats my opinion....
I think he realized the same thing because the took it off. It's no longer on the car. It's a complete list of mods put on the car but then some were taken off. It may be in the narrative where this is stated.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:26 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by motor12
That wing is a reproduction of the one on the MINI Challenge race car. Google MINI Challenge and check out the wing on those cars. They are CF wings also but they are painted. They are not there for looks. They are very functional.

M7 did not do a very good job with their reproduction. It was a bit too much for me too and that is why I took it off and sold it.

Last edited by onefish2; 12-15-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:29 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
I think he realized the same thing because the took it off. It's no longer on the car. It's a complete list of mods put on the car but then some were taken off. It may be in the narrative where this is stated.
Yes. Correct. Also see the last pic where it says "this is what my car looks like today."

That list was copied from a word doc I have. Instead of deleting things I removed from the car I simply edited the item with a strike through. That did not come across when I pasted it in this post. So I put a "- removed" next to the items that were removed from the car.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:49 PM
motor12
3rd Gear
I'm glad you took the spoiler off,makes a big difference, much better.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Spridget
4th Gear
Great looking car, although I must admit that the first time I saw your mod list, my first thought was, "His car must weigh about 6000 pounds." Now I see you took some of the stuff off, so I can rest easy.

By the way, I named my car "Moocher the MINI," after the old Cab Calloway song, "Minnie the Moocher." True, it doesn't come when I call it. But our cats have names, and they don't respond either, so I figure I'm okay naming the MINI.

If it's any comfort, my MG doesn't have a name. That said, I've called it many different things, usually depending on what it had just done...

Cheers,

Spridget

Old 12-15-2011, 03:43 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Thanks - been waiting for this posting - especially nice to see the mods you decided to remove.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 PM
7876_MCS
2nd Gear
Nice write-up!

Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dj.papazian
said it before, and i'll say it one more time. one my of my favorite looking mini's. it's not just a bunch of aftermarket parts slapped on; you can tell you put thought/time into your mods and made the car unique in your own way. awesome work!

EDIT: absolutely love the matte challenge wheels. If i'm not mistaken, they sit wider than the stock jcw wheels correct? If I may ask, where were you able to get the challenge wheels onefish2?
The wheels are the stock Challenge wheels that came with the car. I had them powder coated flat black. I am not using spacers.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:28 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
For those that responded... Thanks for the comments I really appreciate it.

The point of this post was to show the progression of where I started and what the car looks like now, what MINI and aftermarket parts I used and also which vendors are great to work with. This was easy for me to do as I kept a detailed record of everything that I bought and had done to the car. I also have well over 300 pics posted to Flickr.

Too may people make posts and talk about this mod or that mod and never show a picture. You know what they say about pictures... well its true.

I hope that this thread and the pics inspire others to experiment and mod their cars and also make it a bit simpler to figure out which companies are easy to deal with and make great products.

You will notice that there are 2 companies that are big in the MINI community and very popular here on NAM that are absent from my list. I view these 2 companies as marketing companies and not engineering companies. They do not make good products that will last. One starts with an a the other is a letter and a number. This is my opinion. If you purchased their products and are happy with them then that is all that really matters.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:51 AM
etalj
6th Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
You will notice that there are 2 companies that are big in the MINI community and very popular here on NAM that are absent from my list. I view these 2 companies as marketing companies and not engineering companies. They do not make good products that will last. One starts with an a the other is a letter and a number. This is my opinion. If you purchased their products and are happy with them then that is all that really matters.

Well said sir

Old 12-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Jeremy Brooks
3rd Gear
Stumbled across this thread while searching for something else. Just wanted to say I love the title of the thread. :-)

Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 PM
doberbonnie
1st Gear
if you decide to name it you should call it the MiniPit.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:52 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
doberbonnie wrote: If you decide to name it you should call it the minipit.
lol!

Old 12-28-2011, 05:06 PM
johnnydisco
3rd Gear
nice write up. can do without the snide "no name". i don't have a name for mine, i would also not spend that much dough on mods, "it's just a car"? my car, your car.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:59 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by johnnydisco
nice write up. can do without the snide "no name". i don't have a name for mine, i would also not spend that much dough on mods, "it's just a car"? my car, your car.
I think naming your car is dumb. Hence the title of this thread.

Thanks for your snide comments and pooping on my thread.

It was also meant to show others what they can do with their car from an interior/exterior and mechanical mod perspective.

Last edited by onefish2; 12-28-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Mini///M
5th Gear
That black scheme looks so mean. Nicely done

Old 12-28-2011, 09:09 PM
doberbonnie
1st Gear
seeeennnssssiiittttiiiivvvveee.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:46 PM
johnnydisco
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
I think naming your car is dumb. Hence the title of this thread.

Thanks for your snide comments and pooping on my thread.

It was also meant to show others what they can do with their car from an interior/exterior and mechanical mod perspective.
i think spending that much money on aftermarket parts is dumb. see how easy that is? i didn't poop in your thread, you did that yourself by pooping on people's business. now how about naming your MINI MINIpit? it's very fitting.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
did you pick up an akrapovic DP? thoughts on it? or just trade it for my RR one

Old 12-28-2011, 10:37 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Yep. Picked one up on the NAM marketplace. Going to add it to my "MINIpit." I should have it this Friday. I am getting in installed next week with a res delete.

I may pick up the full Akrapovic Evo exhaust in the spring.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
subscribe.. lovethis list.. using it for future mods... still need my aero kit though:(

Old 12-29-2011, 03:23 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by doberbonnie
seeeennnssssiiittttiiiivvvveee.
LOL. Welcome to NAM!

Old 12-29-2011, 04:05 AM
kkcshipp
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Got an Iphone 3G and like the craven speed setup you have. Did you have to get a longer cord to plug it in to your car output? How hard was it to set up?

Old 12-29-2011, 12:10 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kkcshipp
Got an Iphone 3G and like the craven speed setup you have. Did you have to get a longer cord to plug it in to your car output? How hard was it to set up?
Its very easy and once you have the parts, it should not take more than 15 or 20 minutes.

Somewhere on here is a thread about how I set it up. But I do not know where it is and search on NAM is not the best...

There are other write up with pics here on NAM that also include a list of parts and where to buy them online.

I have the Craven Speed W mount. Any of theirs will work though. I also have the TomTom iPhone adapter which has its own speaker and its own GPS chip that is better than what is on the iPhone so with it plugged in it charges the iPhone, boosts the GPS signal and has a bigger speaker for spoken word directions.

I bought an add a fuse kit and found a fuse that supplied power when the car was on. I took some lamp cord and ran it from the passenger side fuse box to behind the center console. I also bought a female cigarette lighter adapter. So I connected that to the lamp cord. Next I ran the power from the TomTom adapter down and under the dash to meet up with that cig lighter adapter behind the center console. I used electrical tape to keep everything in place.

Hope that helps...

-Steve

Quick Reply: R56 My JCW has no name because its a car - build thread