R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Advice on buying a used Mini

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:15 AM
mjw
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on buying a used Mini

Hey guys,

I'm checking out a used '07 Cooper S. 33,600 km, and in great shape. $16,000 Canadian is the price.

I was really happy about the though ,until doing some research today. I am hoping you guys might be able to help me just a little.

I notice there are mentions of timing chain issues (ie death rattle, cold start issues, etc). I see in the stock issues form there is a pole, and 75% of people report having the issue. Is this accurate?! At what point would you realize you had the issue? Would it present itself by 33K clicks?

I also see mention of carbon buildup and a few other issues.

The car is outside of warranty, of course, and I am trying to be mindful of what issuse may present themselves, and how likley. All a factor in the price, and buying used vs. new.

If anyone has any input or can offer a little advice, I would be VERY greatful.

Thanks!

Last edited by mjw; 12-16-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:01 PM
RSchleder
3rd Gear
I bought a 2007 S 3 months ago, 44k miles and it has been trouble free. I checked out Carfax, the maintenance records, and looked the car over very carefully.
I have owned over 75 cars in my 50+ years of driving and have owned street rods, classic mustangs, Corvettes and diesel motorhomes. I only state this because EVERY car/RV forum I've ever spent time on focuses on PROBLEMS/ISSUES. It's just the way it is and it's a place for owners to find out answers to real or perceived problems. Some folks use these answers to fix the problem themselves or at least "arm" themselves with info and data to discuss the issue with whomever they choose to perform the repair work.
Take the forum with a grain of salt, I can understand your concern about mini based on forum discussions. I can assure you, the mini forum is no different than the Mustang, Corvette, motorhome forums. They are great places but DON'T let them cause you to miss out on a terrific car that is a ton of fun to drive and own. Buy a good, well maintained car and enjoy it. Yes, you may have some problems now and then, it's mechanical and those things will happen. Take it in stride when/if it happens and don't lose any sleep over it!
JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH! Good luck

Old 12-16-2011, 02:30 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a 2007 MCS. I've owned it for a year and a half now. Unlike RSchleder, I've had issues with the car but they were all fixed under warranty. From what I've read here in the forum and gathered outside, you either get a MINI that will have issues or not. I've even seen brand new ones having problems. With that said, mine is running the way I want it to be now

I got my MINI with 20K miles and I'm at 50K miles now. Yeah, I love driving this car!

I would say to just be weary of what the common issues are, esp with the chain tensioner.

Good luck with the buy!

Old 12-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no way 75% of S owners have had the timing chain tensioner issue. 75% of NAM members who have visited and bothered to take the poll may have.

I have an 07S and have only had the tensioner issue. The car has been trouble free otherwise. IMHO, I would not purchase an early R56 (07, 08 and into '09) that has not had the new parts installed. Others may have a different opinion.

I love my MINI. It the most fun on 4 wheels I have ever experienced!

Old 12-16-2011, 07:34 PM
mjw
Neutral
Any idea about then you might see the tensioner issue strike? Early on? Post 33,000km likely? Or would it most likely already have happened if it was going to happen?

Makes me nervous, being out of warranty. Things are pricey here.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:32 PM
cereal
4th Gear
mjw,

I recently was almost identically in your shoes. Paid a little bit more (17k USD, 17.5k CAD) with a little bit less mileage (17k miles, 27k km) but not by much. You won't regret buying it. With that much distance on either of our cars we can both safely say someone enjoyed our cars on the weekends. Perfect! Mine averaged a little over 4,000 miles a year, runs great and puts smiles on my face.

To answer your questions about the warranty, if you are concerned about spending lots of money on repairs (can't blame you especially while you have payments) then you could consider purchasing an after market warranty. If this is from a dealer, I'd be shocked if they already haven't tried to sell it to you before the car (sales guys...geez)! It's a good option but just make sure you read the details so you know what is and isn't covered. Otherwise, realize that most likely the biggest issue you'll have is the clutch when it goes. No warranty will cover that but you can make sure to find a good reputable mechanic that works on MINI's well before that happens.

Overall your concerns are with purchasing a used vehicle. Sometimes you get exactly what you hope, sometimes not. There is a reason used cars are less expensive. It's because we're taking additional risk that that was mitigated with the manufacturers warranty. Enjoy the less expensive MINI, save a little here and there for a rainy day and go motoring!

Depending on the current condition of the MINI it sounds like you have a good deal, take it! Of course take it to a reputable mechanic (preferably a MINI or BMW specific one) and ask them what you expect in the next year or even two of ownership.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:56 PM
mjw
Neutral
Originally Posted by cereal
mjw,

I recently was almost identically in your shoes. Paid a little bit more (17k USD, 17.5k CAD) with a little bit less mileage (17k miles, 27k km) but not by much. You won't regret buying it. With that much distance on either of our cars we can both safely say someone enjoyed our cars on the weekends. Perfect! Mine averaged a little over 4,000 miles a year, runs great and puts smiles on my face.

To answer your questions about the warranty, if you are concerned about spending lots of money on repairs (can't blame you especially while you have payments) then you could consider purchasing an after market warranty. If this is from a dealer, I'd be shocked if they already haven't tried to sell it to you before the car (sales guys...geez)! It's a good option but just make sure you read the details so you know what is and isn't covered. Otherwise, realize that most likely the biggest issue you'll have is the clutch when it goes. No warranty will cover that but you can make sure to find a good reputable mechanic that works on MINI's well before that happens.

Overall your concerns are with purchasing a used vehicle. Sometimes you get exactly what you hope, sometimes not. There is a reason used cars are less expensive. It's because we're taking additional risk that that was mitigated with the manufacturers warranty. Enjoy the less expensive MINI, save a little here and there for a rainy day and go motoring!

Depending on the current condition of the MINI it sounds like you have a good deal, take it! Of course take it to a reputable mechanic (preferably a MINI or BMW specific one) and ask them what you expect in the next year or even two of ownership.
This is a private sale. I was not aware of aftermarket warranties? Is this common? And where would I purchase such a warranty? I assume the car would need to be inspected by the issuer?

As for condition, it seems to be immaculate. Clutch is solid, sounds all ok. Even cosmetically inside and out. It's been stored in the winter, etc. I am having another look tomorrow. I want to see maintenance records. Also need to get the registration to check leans on the car (leans? leens?). And if all is well, then I ask the guy to get it inspected.

Wondering If there is sense in asking to have the timing chain checked for stretch and what have you.

Thanks for the responses guys. It's inspiring confidence that was lost earlier today!

If I don't do this Mini, I'm looking at new...but then praticality kicks in and I'll end up looking at cars that are a little more...dull, we'll say...where is the fun in that!?

Old 12-17-2011, 03:37 AM
RSchleder
3rd Gear
Jf the owner has had the mini serviced regularly, all the maintenance details are contained in the key/fob and can be printed out for you. Mini also does a rather extensive inspection each time the car is inspected and gives the owner a written report. Not sure if the timing chain can be inspected without some level of tearing down the engine which would most likely be cost prohibitive.
Good luck with the search, keep us informed please.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:38 AM
7t-onemonte
2nd Gear
I originally looked at used MINI's as well, I wasnt big on a private sale,so I ended up at dealership lots. I finally went to a MINI dealership to check out some used ones, ended up ordering a new 2012 MCS for less money than some of the used ones on their lot. It was due to the options I really didnt feel I wanted or needed, Just a thought, check into new ones and see if you can swing it. I ended up only paying a couple of thousand more for a new one than the ones I looked at comparibly equipped, with 40K miles on them.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:36 AM
RSchleder
3rd Gear
As far as an extended warranty, you can discuss it with your mini dealer or get online and check it out. I would only buy from a "provider" that has a strong reputation for good service and coverage as well as offering references.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Costco is now offering extended warranties. My credit union also offers them. When I got my quote, the rep gasped when he quoted >$2000. My MINI dealer couldn't come even close to that. If it brings you piece of mind.... Get one. I don't think the one i considered required an inspection.

Many of the MINIs with the tensioner issue developed it early, though others had it come on with mileage.

IMHO:
The next time you visit, make sure you you are starting a cold engine. Listen.
If you getting an inspection, ask for the cost to measure the deflection of the chain to check for chain stretch.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Kfriceman
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Buy a Certified Pre-Ownded car from a dealer, the extended bumper-to-bumper warranty takes care of the rest.

I'm very pleased with my purchase.

-Kevin

Last edited by Kfriceman; 12-17-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Ronin82
2nd Gear
You want advice.... here.

Dont leave the lot without an extended warranty. Bumper to bumper for 60Kmiles. youll be in the 90k's till your waranty is going to expire

Old 12-17-2011, 11:52 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I went through the same things that you did, this past summer. My car was telling me it was time to be replaced, so I was looking at new cars (chevy cruze, ford focus), then I tried a used MINI. Like you said, why buy a new appliance-like car (boring), when you can get a used MINI for about the same money. I bought an 08 MCS. Like others said, take it to a dealer to confirm the maintenance history of the car, especially oil changes.

My car had 49k miles on it, literally a few hundred miles left in the warranty. I learned that the previous owner let the car tell her when to have service done. This means that there were only 3 oil changes done on the car, including one at the end. There are plenty of threads on this forum to show this is a problem. My car had the timing chain, tensioner, and turbo replaced. These are all likely from lack of oil changes. My car also had the fuel pump replaced (there is an extended warranty program through MINI for this), and the carbon cleaning process done. Basically, I took a chance on a car that had problems, and I am thinking that the problem areas have been addressed.

Moral of this long-winded email? get the car to a dealer (possibly the current owner) to get the warranty history. Check the forum, there are people that have quoted how much they have paid to have the timing chain done. My dealer told me that many of the 07's had the timing chain issue, and that they would change them during routine maintenance if there was a hint of problems, often without the owner knowing.

Enjoy the car.

Mike