R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Invidia Q300 Resonater Delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 08:16 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Invidia Q300 Resonater Delete

I have scheduled at a local import shop to have my resonator deleted and replaced with a stainless steel straight pipe. I just wanted to know if anyone has deleted their resonator from their Invidia Q300? I have the stock DP and then the system. Just wanted to know who, if anybody has done this and how it sounds. I want more sound/to be louder than it is now. I don't know if it is going to get louder or if it is going to have drone or become raspy, which to me it doesn't really matter, I just don't want it to sound like an old Toyota Camry without a muffler or an old/new Civic with an exhaust falling off and sounding shitty.

I have been reading a thread about a JCW exhaust, with a RR DP, and Resonator and it sounds awesome. Now, obviously that is an entirely different system, but it sounds amazing and they say that the resonator gives it a little drone, but since it is not limiting sound it now sounds louder. Just wanted to know what your guys take on it and if I remove the res from the Q300 is it worth the money.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have done this and will post a vid of cold start in a bit. It will sound good and will not be too much louder. I ran this setup before i put together my invidia piping to a factory jcw back box. It will sound good , you will like it a lot

Originally Posted by SpeedRacer0212
I have scheduled at a local import shop to have my resonator deleted and replaced with a stainless steel straight pipe. I just wanted to know if anyone has deleted their resonator from their Invidia Q300? I have the stock DP and then the system. Just wanted to know who, if anybody has done this and how it sounds. I want more sound/to be louder than it is now. I don't know if it is going to get louder or if it is going to have drone or become raspy, which to me it doesn't really matter, I just don't want it to sound like an old Toyota Camry without a muffler or an old/new Civic with an exhaust falling off and sounding shitty.

I have been reading a thread about a JCW exhaust, with a RR DP, and Resonator and it sounds awesome. Now, obviously that is an entirely different system, but it sounds amazing and they say that the resonator gives it a little drone, but since it is not limiting sound it now sounds louder. Just wanted to know what your guys take on it and if I remove the res from the Q300 is it worth the money.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:20 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer0212

Bigprfed's sounded good like that...

If I were you though I'd get a catless DP first, that will give you plenty more sound and performance to boot. If you still want more sound (I doubt you will...) you can then remove the resonator.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Invidia w no resonator

http://vimeo.com/34090473

Old 12-22-2011, 11:09 AM
muzak
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
Invidia w no resonator

http://vimeo.com/34090473

I wanted to hear it with some throttle.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
These may be w/out the resonator but i cant remember

http://vimeo.com/22123103

http://vimeo.com/22124043

Originally Posted by muzak
I wanted to hear it with some throttle.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:34 AM
muzak
4th Gear
Thanks....sounds good!

I like my stock JCW setup with resonator delete, FWIW. Sometimes I do wish that I could have the resonator quieting things down some. But overall, it's not very loud, you can keep it quiet by keeping the revs down, and most of all, at least it doesn't sound like a weed-eater. I don't think you'll have to worry about sounding like a Civic, Camry, etc.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
I use bigger invidia piping with no res to factory jcw back box now

http://vimeo.com/29387810

Originally Posted by muzak
Thanks....sounds good!

I like my stock JCW setup with resonator delete, FWIW. Sometimes I do wish that I could have the resonator quieting things down some. But overall, it's not very loud, you can keep it quiet by keeping the revs down, and most of all, at least it doesn't sound like a weed-eater. I don't think you'll have to worry about sounding like a Civic, Camry, etc.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Tempting. I would still keep the resonator off to the side just in case you get rid of it for something else.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:59 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Well, if my R56 sounds like the ones that you showed where you weren't sure if it had the res or not, then it should be golden for me. I would say that those vids dont have the res because mine does have the res, but it doesn't sound like your vids. That's just me assuming, but again it will have to be a little if not alot louder than what it is now, since the purpose of a res is to limit or eliminate sound all together.

But don't you have a Riss Racing DP Bigprfed22? Was it on your Invidia with res delete at the time (showing those 2 vids) or was it installed on your Invidia with JCW? Then obviously those vids would be louder because you had the RR DP mated to it?

Now I would like to replace my stock DP with a RR or an OBX, however, the cost of a resonator delete is only a quarter to what an OBX or RR cost. Plus I would then have to get a tune to removed the check engine light, and the tune plus the tuning device would be a grand total of $1,000 big ones. Plus to install it would cost a price that I am not aware of. In any rate like Porthos has stated I don't think I will have to worry about it sounding sketchy or like a Camry, Civic, etc., then I should be good to go.

On a side note, how do you make your exhaust pop and burble? I really like that and think it sounds sick.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
No im still catted, it pops between shifts at high rpm sometimes, normally just a little when bliping the throttle like i was.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:50 PM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Oh, Ok. Very good. I think I am satisfied. Or I will be when I get the res deleted. Its just a matter of time now.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Dr.Fox
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread is intriguing because I really like the Q300, but sometimes I wish it had a more "burbly" sound to it - like Bigprfed22's. I really like the idea of the resonator delete with the JCW rear section to reduce drone...

Anyway, keep us posted!

Old 01-25-2012, 07:29 PM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Today I got my resonator deleted on my Invidia Q300 sys. It sounds actually louder than I thought, which is great. I do have a little bit of drone, but I actually like it. It to me sounds good, but to someone else it might be more obnoxious, but it does not bother me at all. I do not have any raspy sounds or noise. So that is a plus. But it does burble pretty good in low RPMs between 2,000 and 3,000. I like that alot. On a cold starts it pops, which to me is sweet, and it has a sick growl to it all the time, especially when I first start her up. I plan on doing vids this Saturday if I can get my neighbor to help me out like he did last time with the res still on. So I will post asap. I am not going to lie, I almost want to go out right now and drive around, but I really need to get some sleep for work tomorrow. Anyway, keep a look out for the vids to come.

Also I want to say thanks to everyone that posted in this thread, you were right about what you said and I appreciate that alot.