R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Auto Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 05:42 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chimera
I've had 2 auto MCS's (06 and 09) and I'll be ordering my 3rd very soon. I've been going back and forth on the auto vs stick (with my co-workers heckling me and saying I'd like a stick more) but I think I've decided on another auto. With sport mode and the paddles I think it gives the best of both worlds and I'm actually disappointed that you can't get the JCW package and keep the paddles because I'm forced to make a decision of looks vs fun/function.

You won't regret the auto MCS, the Aisin is a great transmission.
There was a person on here who got the JCW steering wheel and such and added the paddles onto it, it can be done but for some reason it is not.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:48 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I had an 09 Justa and now drive an 08 MCS, both autos. I have always been an auto guy, and these cars remain fun with the auto. Like some other guys, my commute has a bunch of stop lights and some traffic, and I think that the third pedal would become a chore for me, but that is just my opinion.

The MCS has some significant throttle lag in certain situations, and sometimes it gets a bit annoying with the auto (example: coming to a stop light, almost stopped, then the light changes. It delays a fraction of a second then jumps ahead). I don't know if this is better with a manual or the newer models.

Bottom line: Drive the cars, don't let the auto scare you away. There is just something about driving a MINI, 2 pedals or 3.

Mike

Old 12-24-2011, 07:19 PM
rubberwheels
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RussKeys
I have a 2008 Non-S that I ordered from the factory with the Aisin 6 spd auto and paddle shifters. It is my daily driver and I have a 28 mile commute each way in mostly stop and go traffic. My car has almost 75,000 miles on it and not one problem with the auto tranny or anything else for that matter. It shifts smooth, is peppy, and is fun to drive. I use both the paddle shifters and shifter in sport mode when I need a little extra kick. I love this little car. I use to drive nothing but sticks in the past and while fun to drive, are not fun in stop and go especially as you get older.
How'd you get paddle shifters on a non-S? Read an article on yahoo. Manual transmission sometimes doubles as an anti-theft device. Since most Americans can't drive manual. They can't steal your car lol. I'm gonna visit the Manhattan mini dealer to test drive both manual and auto in the city. See how I like each one.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:54 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rubberwheels
How'd you get paddle shifters on a non-S? Read an article on yahoo. Manual transmission sometimes doubles as an anti-theft device. Since most Americans can't drive manual. They can't steal your car lol. I'm gonna visit the Manhattan mini dealer to test drive both manual and auto in the city. See how I like each one.
You need to read the Year correctly (2008), they stopped production of paddle shifters on an Autobox sometime in 2009, I don't know exactly when, I also have a 2008 (March 08 Build) w/Paddle Shifters!!

Last edited by RJKimbell; 12-24-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:07 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rubberwheels
My understanding is that when MINI's are stolen they're flat bedded rather than driven away because the car won't start and can't be hot wired without the key fob. If that's the case, manual or auto wouldn't matter. I could be wrong about this, but that's what I've been told.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:54 PM
rubberwheels
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
You need to read the Year correctly (2008), they stopped production of paddle shifters sometime in 2009, I don't know exactly when, I also have a 2008 (Feb/March 08 Build)w/Paddle Shifters!!
Oh I didn't know that. I went to miniusa and checked. Guess I'll be looking for a '08 used.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Finner
3rd Gear
I have an 09 Justa with Paddles. I took delivery in March 09. I think Mini stopped offering paddles on the Justa a couple months later.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:11 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
My 07 S is auto and I'm fine with it. No problems, shifts well and if I want a little more excitment I use the stick or paddle shifters. Manual is fun but after awhile it gets tiring shifting all the time.
If I were to run alot of rallies I'd probably want a manual but the auto fits my type of driving just fine.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:11 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
As a new 2012 MCa owner I can say the auto is great! I'm a stick guy when it comes to sports cars, but I drove the MCS, MCSa, MC and MCa before choosing my DD option. In normal auto mode it's a little slushy, but no where near as bad as the 2002 Boxster S w/Tip I had.

In Sport Mode eveything changes. It holds the gears, down shifts when slowing/braking wonderfully. In fact, it has another great LA traffic function that I didn't realize when I bought it. You can put it in Sport Mode in stop and go freeway traffic and you barely even need to use the brakes, because of the way it downshifts for you (similar to Tow Haul Mode on a Ford F250 Pickup).

I wouldn't worry about getting paddle shifters, you still have the option to shift manually with the shifter +/-. I've heard pros/cons on the Mini paddles...

The 2012 is a 6 speed auto with (I'm assuming) their latest and greatest "coding". I have absolutely no regrets going auto, but have trouble NOT pushing the Sport Mode button and putting my foot into it constantly

Old 12-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I hate the autotragic that MINI has. They shift way too damn hard. They drag out 1st gear and then slam into 2nd gear. Every single one I have driven does that from r50s, r52s, r53s, r56 Cooper and S and the Countryman. I bought a used BMW that has an autotragic in it for my DD because yes driving in traffic sucks with a manual especially if you get a light weight flywheel and stiffer clutch. Even with that though it still shifts smoother then the automatic that MINI has. If that is what you want get it but if you like manuals you are going to be unhappy. BTW manual is a great theft deterrent as most people don't know how to drive them.

I am the 1% I am a stick shift snob.