R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Auto Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 03:39 PM
rubberwheels
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Transmission

As much as I want a manual transmission, I need an auto cause I'm gonna be doing lots of city driving. How's the automatic transmission on the second gen compared to the first gen.

Last edited by rubberwheels; 12-22-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:47 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
What is the basis for your comparison? Are you sure you're not comparing to the CVT in the R50?

Old 12-22-2011, 03:59 PM
rubberwheels
1st Gear
Yeah the CVT.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:29 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Let me be the first to rain on your automatic transmission parade. A MINI with a soul sucking slushbox is not a MINI at all. You'll regret not getting a manual.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:37 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I drive a manual and I drive it in traffic every day. However, I also drove an auto 2010 and it was pretty fun, the paddle shifters are cool and it didn't feel too "slushy" for an auto box.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:38 PM
rubberwheels
1st Gear
Won't it be bad on the clutch if I'm constantly in stop and go traffic?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I traded my 07 manual for an 08 auto precisely because of heavy traffic driving. I love it and usually drive in manual mode. Press the sport button and the manual shifting is almost instant. You'll just have to test drive one for yourself...

Old 12-22-2011, 09:21 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rubberwheels
Frankly, only if you're terrible at driving a manual. If you use the clutch properly (don't ride it, etc.) it will be fine. However, I can see how people who live in really BUSY cities (NYC, LA, etc.) don't want the hassle of being in and out of first gear all the time.

Definitely go test one. If you're getting an S, the auto isn't bad. Personally I feel you need the quicker Cooper S to make an auto box tolerable, but that's just my opinion.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Island maser
5th Gear
Everything we currently own is a manual. I like sticks. Very few Auto's do I call good or acceptable. Just drove a countryman with the 6 speed auto and I was impressed. Not as good as Mercedes 7 speed but good. In sport mode it shifted fast and would hold a gear lower than if not in sport mode.
I prefer sticks but I could live with this auto.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:51 AM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Let me be the first to rain on your automatic transmission parade. A MINI with a soul sucking slushbox is not a MINI at all. You'll regret not getting a manual.
Nonsense! I love my auto. It's responsive and fun and you still have the option of shifting with the paddles is you want to. I think it's the best of both worlds. Driving in the usual bumper to bumper LA traffic is a real chore that would take all the fun and enjoyment out of my MINI. I would hate to have such a cool car and then dread getting into it each morning or night knowing I was going to have to shift it about 200 times on my way to/from work.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:31 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Don't pay attention to the purists who say only a manual. I have a manual, but I could like the auto as well. I drove both. The auto was just as much fun to drive.

It sounds like you are thinking of a justa, comparing it to the cvt. The cvt, sucked, to put it midly, so the aisin 6 speed auto is a huge step up for the justa. I actually ordered my 07 justa with the auto as when they came because that is all they offered for about 4 months. I had to cancel because of an order screw up and get another one so I went manual, but I drove the auto and liked it as well. In the 07 the auto was a 3 mpg penalty, which I thought was excessive. In recent years that is only about 1 mpg, so if I were to order again, it would be auto. (They must have retuned the tranny to the engine in subsequent years).

A couple of years back they removed the paddle shifters from the justa, but the manual mode is still available with the stick.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:09 AM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The CVT was bad in the R50s... I test drove one and you had no idea what the engine and transmission were doing.

Now I drive a R56 MCSa, that's the Aisin 6-speed transmission. It is very smooth but as someone else posted it behaves better on Sport mode with DS (manual shifting). It allows you to start moving with 2nd gear selected, which is much smoother.

The gearbox only received an ECU update in 08/2007. But I am inclined to believe, it is the DME that gives the actual shifting commands (and not the ESG), which was updated several times (and offcourse is completely renewed for the N18 engines).

Old 12-23-2011, 04:42 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaswyck
Nonsense! I love my auto. It's responsive and fun and you still have the option of shifting with the paddles is you want to. I think it's the best of both worlds. Driving in the usual bumper to bumper LA traffic is a real chore that would take all the fun and enjoyment out of my MINI. I would hate to have such a cool car and then dread getting into it each morning or night knowing I was going to have to shift it about 200 times on my way to/from work.
I agree, Chas, I hate nonsense like that. I'm all for having different opinions, but wrong is wrong. The auto in my MINI is amazing. Most people who've driven the auto respect it. Responders such as "Country Boy" most likely either haven't driven the auto at all, or they are just pre-programmed to spew misinformation because the masses say that manual is better even though they can't back up their stance. They parrot trendy cliches like "soul sucking" and "slushbox" that they saw someone else post, yet add nothing else to the discussion on why they have that opinion.

The truth is that the difference is statistically irrelevant. Choose what you prefer and roll with it confidently. My MCSa has JCW aero, suspension, tuning and strut brace and there's no way I'd trade it for a manual.

j

Old 12-23-2011, 05:47 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rubberwheels
Only if you don't drive it properly. If you engage everything smoothly it will last.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:43 AM
anitan1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chaswyck
I would hate to have such a cool car and then dread getting into it each morning or night knowing I was going to have to shift it about 200 times on my way to/from work.
I own two manuals, but I agree completely with that statement. Stop and go traffic sucks when you're driving a manual. And, I don't care what anyone says, it's more wear and tear on the clutch. I can totally see how I'd dread driving the car if I knew I was going to be stopping every 15 feet.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:50 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The auto is made for a reason, like the ones you stated, so if that's what you need to get , then go for it. I have only test-driven the auto as I have a manual, but I was impressed. I haven't heard of anyone with an R56 Auto Transmission that has complained about it either.

To try and give you a basis for comparison, the auto Cooper S I drove was shifting just as fast as a family member's GTI with DSG transmission, so you're not losing too much on time between shifts.

That said, I will admit that the manual in this particular car is a lot of fun. Might be worth a test drive in each to see how livable it might be for you. Best of luck with the car shopping and hope you find what you want.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
I've had 2 auto MCS's (06 and 09) and I'll be ordering my 3rd very soon. I've been going back and forth on the auto vs stick (with my co-workers heckling me and saying I'd like a stick more) but I think I've decided on another auto. With sport mode and the paddles I think it gives the best of both worlds and I'm actually disappointed that you can't get the JCW package and keep the paddles because I'm forced to make a decision of looks vs fun/function.

You won't regret the auto MCS, the Aisin is a great transmission.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:44 AM
driverphil
3rd Gear
We had a 2004 Cooper with a CVT, now a 2008 Cooper with the auto tranny. The auto tranny is much much better. More reliable too.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chimera
With sport mode and the paddles I think it gives the best of both worlds and I'm actually disappointed that you can't get the JCW package and keep the paddles because I'm forced to make a decision of looks vs fun/function.
You probably already know, but on the Auto, the gear selector handle can be used in the exact same fashion as the paddles. That way you have the great looks of the JCW steering wheel, but with the same function and benefit as the paddle shifters. Fun and function FTW!!
j

Old 12-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Subzero
You probably already know, but on the Auto, the gear selector handle can be used in the exact same fashion as the paddles. That way you have the great looks of the JCW steering wheel, but with the same function and benefit as the paddle shifters. Fun and function FTW!!
j
Yeah I occasionally use the stick to shift, but when you have the paddles why take your hands off the wheel? Makes me feel like an F1 driver pulling away from the lights and is much better when you want to change gear going into/out of a corner.

Edit : Also, with the flappy paddles you can shift even if you're not in full manual mode which is very useful sometimes.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:46 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well- The six speed manual has one huge problem.

How can you talk on your hand held cell phone, Eat your fast food, drink coffee, play with your GPS, mess with finding your I-Tunes if you gotta shift gears all the time???????????????????????

********No problem at all with the automatic transmission.**********

Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
Chimera, I can't disagree, you do make 2 good points there...

I rarely use the manual mode, but I just wanted to throw it out there as a possible alternative and mention it in case anyone wasn't aware of the manual mode on the gear selector. F1 style FTW!

Cheers
j

Old 12-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Kfriceman
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
We test drove both and the auto one out (because it's my wife's daily driver and her choice), with the sport mode engaged is has very spirited shifting and with it off drives as well if not as better than my Mercedes. The manual purist have their opinions and that's OK, I just don't have the time or the wanting to scrutinize a car that performs wells in both formats.

-Kevin

Old 12-23-2011, 04:13 PM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
I have a 2008 Non-S that I ordered from the factory with the Aisin 6 spd auto and paddle shifters. It is my daily driver and I have a 28 mile commute each way in mostly stop and go traffic. My car has almost 75,000 miles on it and not one problem with the auto tranny or anything else for that matter. It shifts smooth, is peppy, and is fun to drive. I use both the paddle shifters and shifter in sport mode when I need a little extra kick. I love this little car. I use to drive nothing but sticks in the past and while fun to drive, are not fun in stop and go especially as you get older.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:19 AM
amancuso
5th Gear
My Cooper is also an automatic. It's one of the best shifting Auto's I've driven. Manuals are fun yes, but so is my Auto Cooper. Get what works best for you. Both are excellent choices.

Quick Reply: R56 Auto Transmission