R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 DIY Clutch Diagnosing/fixes

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 02:27 PM
JC07mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a dilemma. I recently had a bunch of work done which luckily only cost me the $50 deductible. Which by the way, the things they had to fix are things that I have never had to replace on any car in my life (I've been driving for 30+ years) but that's another story. When I went to pick it up the dealer mentioned the clutch was hard to press in and the pedal was high. The CPO maintenance plan is almost ready to expire (I have 99,700 miles). So, I emailed the service adviser at the dealership and mentioned that I would like to get the clutch replaced and highlighted the part in the CPO warranty document where it said the clutch was covered.
Here is the response:

"In order for us to determine the coverage of the clutch, we need to diagnose and inspect the clutch. The maintenance plan covers components for wear and tear, not heat stress/deterioration/cracks. We would first need you to authorize the teardown time of $1,360, in order for us to drop the bell housing to inspect it. If we find that this item is covered by a warranty, then the diagnostic is waived."
So, do I gamble, and authorize the teardown in the hope that its just worn out and it will be covered for $50. Or do I forget about it since they will probably tell me some kind of heat damage (What?) or cracks or deterioration (What?) caused the high, stiff pedal?
I have owned this 2007 for about 1.5 years and up until a few weeks ago was very happy with this car. Since the repair fiasco and reading all the problems others have had I am scared to drive this thing. Like its a ticking time bomb.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:55 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Crappy deal... And right there I'm tempted to avoid the extended maint. Plan.

A slipping /worn clutch is going to heat stress... Duh..... It sounds like you need to somehow get it fully worn in 300 miles...

Clutch kicks at each gear change?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:21 PM
JC07mini
1st Gear
Well, before this car I would NEVER buy an extended maintenance plan. Its almost never worth the cost. However, knowing what I know about these cars now, if I were to buy a new one I would definitely buy the extended maintenance plan.
To me the clutch works fine - but then I haven't driven a new Mini. I bought this one used with 70,000 miles on it.

I didn't know I had the cpo plan. Boy was I lucky because at 100,000 miles its all over. If the original owner or the reselling dealer hadn't purchased the cpo plan for my car I would probably have abandoned it by the side of the road somewhere. Or carefully placed it under water somewhere. Here is a list of what they did for my $50 deductible:
Turbo water pump replacement.
Engine water pump.
Engine water pump friction pulley.
Vaccuum pump
Vaccuum pump resevoir
Vaccuum lines
And a couple of goodwill treatments:
Cabin Air Filter
Oil Change
Brake Fluid Flush
To me this car is now a ticking time bomb.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 AM
ROCNYMini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JC07mini
Well, before this car I would NEVER buy an extended maintenance plan. Its almost never worth the cost. However, knowing what I know about these cars now, if I were to buy a new one I would definitely buy the extended maintenance plan.
To me the clutch works fine - but then I haven't driven a new Mini. I bought this one used with 70,000 miles on it.

I didn't know I had the cpo plan. Boy was I lucky because at 100,000 miles its all over. If the original owner or the reselling dealer hadn't purchased the cpo plan for my car I would probably have abandoned it by the side of the road somewhere. Or carefully placed it under water somewhere. Here is a list of what they did for my $50 deductible:
Turbo water pump replacement.
Engine water pump.
Engine water pump friction pulley.
Vaccuum pump
Vaccuum pump resevoir
Vaccuum lines
And a couple of goodwill treatments:
Cabin Air Filter
Oil Change
Brake Fluid Flush
To me this car is now a ticking time bomb.

hmmm, list seems incomplete without the "new turbo oil line" and "timing chain/and tensioner" and "thermostat housing" added to the mix.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:57 PM
JC07mini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ROCNYMini
hmmm, list seems incomplete without the "new turbo oil line" and "timing chain/and tensioner" and "thermostat housing" added to the mix.
Yea, and don't forget the "High Pressure Fuel Pump", and the "Pop-off Valve" and some of those plastic rivet things that hold the inner wheel well linings in.

LOL

Old 08-25-2013, 09:01 AM
JC07mini
1st Gear
Well, no joke. Add Turbo charger to the list. Just had that replaced Thursday (luckily under the cpo warranty). The old CC-ID 029 came up on the way home after the clutch was replaced. Warranty expired on Friday as I went over the 100,000 mile mark.

Last night (Saturday) I traded it for a new car.

Hopefully the next owner will have better luck than I did the last two months.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Brandomos
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniDeLux
My clutch went at 75,000km. I didn't do it as a DIY. I had the dealer replace it. Symptoms before the failure were a rattle at idle when the clutch was engaged (clutch pedal out) that disappeared when the clutch was disengaged (clutch pedal in). I believe it was either due to the DMF or the throw out bearing. I'm pretty sure the clutch was disengaging properly on mine.

I took photos of the clutch and flywheel and they were extensively heat damaged. The DMF was full of heat spots, in fact everything had signs of heat damage including the clutch plate. The friction disk was not down to the rivets, but the clutch was slipping in 4th under high load.
How long did you drive it that way until it actually failed? I bout my MCS about 2 weeks ago and it is also slipping in 4th under heavy load but no ther time. First move is to replace the clutch but I don't currently have 2 grand. I'll have to wait a few weeks before I can get it resolved.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Brandomos
Neutral
So I just found this link. I'm sure most of you with clutch issues have seen it but I figured it may help some others looking for answers. I just purchased an 07 cooper s JCW with 56k miles and it needs a new clutch. I have owned 10 cars now and this is my 11th and never had a clutch go this early in the game. It seems to boil down to how you are driving the car more than the parts involved. Hopefully this new clutch and flywheel do the trick!

http://www.promini.com/technical/coo...ch_failure.php

Also for your reference I purchased the OEM clutch kit, fork lever and pressur pin from ECS tuning for just over $300 and I got my Sachs Flywheel from partsgeek.com for $448! I couldn't believe the price so I emailed them with the part number from mini and they confirmed it is the correct part. Hopefully all is correct and I get it all fixed this weekend.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:06 PM
JC07mini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Brandomos
So I just found this link. I'm sure most of you with clutch issues have seen it but I figured it may help some others looking for answers. I just purchased an 07 cooper s JCW with 56k miles and it needs a new clutch. I have owned 10 cars now and this is my 11th and never had a clutch go this early in the game. It seems to boil down to how you are driving the car more than the parts involved. Hopefully this new clutch and flywheel do the trick!

http://www.promini.com/technical/coo...ch_failure.php

Also for your reference I purchased the OEM clutch kit, fork lever and pressur pin from ECS tuning for just over $300 and I got my Sachs Flywheel from partsgeek.com for $448! I couldn't believe the price so I emailed them with the part number from mini and they confirmed it is the correct part. Hopefully all is correct and I get it all fixed this weekend.
All I can say is 'good luck'. If you can do the work yourself you can save a ton on labor. I wonder how many of your previous 10 cars were from Europe and how their reliability (or lack thereof) was.?

Old 10-22-2013, 06:53 AM
Brandomos
Neutral
Clutch issues

Originally Posted by JC07mini
All I can say is 'good luck'. If you can do the work yourself you can save a ton on labor. I wonder how many of your previous 10 cars were from Europe and how their reliability (or lack thereof) was.?

Thanks man. I was strongly considering doing it myself but haven't tackled something that big so I'm kind of leary. Most of my previous cars were japanese and one classic chevy but I did have and 03GTI and 05GLI. The only cars I had to replace the clutch on were an 89 Civic Si and the 03 GTI and both had over 100k miles.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:42 AM
Nate Dror
Neutral
hi im new on this forum. i have an r56 s and i need a new clutch. i dont want to take it to a shop or the dealer because i know it will be way over a grand. i was wondering if their was anyone here in the PA area that would be able to fix my clutch on the side. i would bring a new clutch and flywheel too. if theres anybody please let me know. thank you.