R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Will I be happy with a manual S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Stevoman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will I be happy with a manual S?

I bought an automatic 2010 MCS a year and a half ago. I was driving 2+ hours/day in the city, so the automatic worked great. I had always driven automatics, and didn't think I was missing out on anything.

A few months ago I bought a sports motorcycle. Absolutely fell in love with the idea of having full control over everything in my transmission. Now I want that in my car. I have been increasing disappointed with the poor performance and hard shifting of my automatic. Currently looking at getting a manual 2012 MCS. Can do the swap fairly cheap.

I guess my question is, will I be happy with "just" a stick S? I've heard so many people rave about the JCW and I'm wondering if I'm going to be disappointed going from an Auto S, to a Motorcycle, and back to a Manual S.

Thing is, I'd had to buy a used JCW, there's just no way I'm going to pay more than $30k for a car.

So what does NAM think? New 2012 MCS, or a used 2009-2011 JCW?

Old 12-27-2011, 09:34 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't really speak to the S vs. JCW dilemma, but I can't imagine that you would be disappointed with moving from auto to manual, especially given your remark about having total control over the vehicle. To me, there's simply no comparison. I hope to never have to drive another automatic in my life.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Pez D. Spencer
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Test drive them, I think you'll want the JCW. Evan better if you give it an AccessPort tune.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:35 AM
tccox
4th Gear
New 2012 MCS.

Edit

Took a look at it. JCW if it's not been wrecked

Last edited by tccox; 12-27-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:03 AM
muzak
4th Gear
I was faced with the same dilemma as you about 6 months ago. For me, it was either go with a new 2011 S (w/ JCW body kit), or a used JCW. I found an 09 with only 14k miles and went with that. After test driving both, it was a no-brainer as to which I'd rather drive. If you settle for something, you may find yourself not totally happy and wondering what it might have been like; just like you are now. The only way to find out is to drive them both. I'm willing to bet after you drive a JCW, your mind will be made up. I don't know how I'll ever live without Brembo's again .

Old 12-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Stevoman
1st Gear
What do you guys think of this JCW? Versus a new 2012 MCS?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Old 12-27-2011, 12:38 PM
RockyR
1st Gear
If you like the look, save a bunch of money and buy used. As for the Stick vs. Manual issue, you will never look back. The Mini has a very sweet and accurate stick shift and even driving in traffic is never a bother. My other car is a VW with an automatic/tiptronic and its nice but still not as fun as a stick.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:56 PM
muzak
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Stevoman
What do you guys think of this JCW? Versus a new 2012 MCS?
$10,000+ off sticker for one year of depreciation? Seems like a awfully low price. Either priced to move and a pretty good deal, or it's a dealer buy-back/lemon/wrecked. I wish that would have been available when I was looking. I'm not too far from Austin and would have heavily considered it if it checked out. FWIW, I paid almost $25k (dealer paid $23k as a trade-in and offered a pretty fair trade-in price on my 05 S) for my 09 with only a little more mileage than that and a few more options and that was the best deal at the time on a JCW within 500 miles of DFW.

Last edited by muzak; 12-27-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:15 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I literally cannot drive automatics anymore. I get bored and do irresponsible things to keep myself entertained.

An MCS is more than enough, but the JCW just gives it that extra "oomph" that I think the car should have. It's a completely different animal, but it's also not as smooth or forgiving IMO.

I'm also selling my fairly modded '09 JCW around June if you want to think about it and wait!

Old 12-27-2011, 02:18 PM
muzak
4th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
I literally cannot drive automatics anymore. I get bored and do irresponsible things to keep myself entertained.

An MCS is more than enough, but the JCW just gives it that extra "oomph" that I think the car should have. It's a completely different animal, but it's also not as smooth or forgiving IMO.

I'm also selling my fairly modded '09 JCW around June if you want to think about it and wait!
Sorry to derail, but what are you thinking about getting?

I'm waiting to see the new "shortened" WRX STi, myself.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:23 PM
kat1689
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Same! I never want another automatic. The difference in control (especially between auto and manual minis) makes it seem like a whole different car in my opinion. Even with bad knees I still love my manual

Old 12-27-2011, 02:32 PM
highlander709
4th Gear
Unfortunately JCW's and heavily optioned MCS's tend to depreciate more as a percentage of initial cost in the first few years as compared to lightly optioned MCS's and Justa's. The JCW looks like a great deal. If you're thinking JCW, I would look at that one closely.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:07 PM
glangford
6th Gear
One thing I'd consider is the possibility for an 09 mcs or jcw to have the cold start clatter issue, which can be a very costly repair. If it were me I'd buy a new manual S, since the newer ones have vanos and aren't suceptible to the cold start clatter.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Tallman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by glangford
One thing I'd consider is the possibility for an 09 mcs or jcw to have the cold start clatter issue, which can be a very costly repair. If it were me I'd buy a new manual S, since the newer ones have vanos and aren't suceptible to the cold start clatter.
I can "resemble" that comment. My 2010 seems to be the cutoff date, as I've NOT had cold start issues, nor timing chain problems.
Advise to OP: go with NEW 2012. Be kind to yourself - you work hard, you deserve it. Configure it the way YOU want it. (going Manual can be thought of as giving your left leg something to do, heheh)

Old 12-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2010 builds were the cutoff date for the cold start as MINI found out what it was and fixed it. Now it is just a memory for used MINI S.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:18 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I prefer manual not just for the control but for the feel of the engine always being directly connected to the wheels. I hate all the slipping through the torque converter that happens even in good automatics.

I drive in Chicago traffic all the time and honestly the clutch is so light it really doesn't bother me.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:09 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by muzak
Sorry to derail, but what are you thinking about getting?
Lotus Exige.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:32 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I can't speak to the JCW but I do plan to add the kit to my car this summer as I could always go for more power.

I test drove a 2012 MCS auto and it was fun to grab the paddles and zoom through the gears. But I went with a manual and haven't looked back. Its a blast to tell the car when I want to change gears, burn the gas and not worry about it.
All my friends have told me for years that swapping your own cogs was a blast and it sure is. This is from a guy who has never driven a manual till the last 60 days and loving every drive! I'm also told a MINI is one of the easiest manuals to drive.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:00 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The topic of fierce debate rises again!

A MINI and a manual transmission are inseparable. There is no comparison to the feeling of driving a MINI with a stick. Yes, I'm a bit of a purist with autos, but COME ON... once you drive it you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face

Old 12-28-2011, 07:16 AM
danigurrl
4th Gear
I only drive manuals. With any car. So it was a no-brainer with that I ordered. I drive in a lot of traffic too sometimes, and I have never minded shifting a lot...some people hate it. Test drive both cars and see what one feels more natural. I just need that 3rd pedal there.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do it. If a JCW is too expensive (as it was for me) get a manual S and shell out $850 for the RMW tune. You're spending less than half the price of the JCW tuning kit and getting unbelievably more performance. Just my 2 cents, from a VERY happy 08 mcs owner and daily driver.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Pez D. Spencer
3rd Gear
You can't get an after market tune for a 2012 MC or MCS, they have a locked ECU. Also a JCW tuning kit on an MCS is not the same as a factory JCW, lower HP and torque, doesn't have the JCW's heavier duty clutch and tranny, and doesn't have the JCW's bigger Brembo brakes. By aftermarket tune I'm refering to a "plug and play" tune like the Alta AccessPort or the Dimsport. Those do work on 2011 and earlier MC and MCS, but do not bring them up to factory JCW numbers. They do still work on a factory JCW.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:57 AM
sLy201
5th Gear
I loveeee my mini and love the community and modding my baby but some of those JCW with the tuning kit and exhaust, etc .. gets kind of expensive and then you kind of think about other options when the car comes close to 40k ...

my advice is go with a nice S model that you like or create your own from scratch and just put a bunch of aftermarket parts in it. this still comes out cheaper and some after market parts are better then OEM ... its a great car either way and a better community as you know.. that my 2 cents, its a win win situation though

Old 12-29-2011, 12:25 PM
tccox
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Pez D. Spencer
You can't get an after market tune for a 2012 MC or MCS, they have a locked ECU. Also a JCW tuning kit on an MCS is not the same as a factory JCW, lower HP and torque, doesn't have the JCW's heavier duty clutch and tranny, and doesn't have the JCW's bigger Brembo brakes. By aftermarket tune I'm refering to a "plug and play" tune like the Alta AccessPort or the Dimsport. Those do work on 2011 and earlier MC and MCS, but do not bring them up to factory JCW numbers. They do still work on a factory JCW.

No change from the 2011 to 2012. They went to new engine in 2011, not 2012. As far as the kit yep, you get less but also pay less, $2000 vs $6000+. I've still got less than $30,000 invested in my loaded 2011 MCS with JCW stage one kit.

Heres what Alta Accessport website says

2011-12Cooper S / Clubman S (NOT COMPATIBLE, currently in devolopment, email for questions)

Old 12-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Pez D. Spencer
3rd Gear
I knew that, N18 engine happened for 2011 not 2012. Senior moment I guess. That was one of my considerations when I bought my 2011 JCW, that the 2011 MCS had the new engine and locked ECU. Thanks for catching my brainfart.

Quick Reply: R56 Will I be happy with a manual S?