R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Exhaust purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:51 AM
sLy201
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust purchase

Okay, I know I asked about this when I first received my car (2011 MCS). But since christmas came and my birthday is around the corner money isnt that bad right now. I am going to make the purchase of an exhuast next month. I know this can become a real lengthy debate on which is better or has the better sound. I am just asking that if you have an aftermarket exhaust to let me know what you like about yours and dont..

The four exhausts I have been looking it as Alta, Invidia, Borla, and Remus (cant find for my model car)... I am looking for a deep sound and not a loud obnoxious sound on the exhaust. I also am looking for an exhaust that gets as little drone as possible.

I look forward to this discussion with all of you and if you have any videos of your exhausts id love to hear ... Thanks !!!

Old 12-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have had 2 exhaust for my R56.
One being the JCW factory exhaust. Whihc has an awesome sound, covered by warranty, and does not drone. When coupled with the JCW tune package is good for a jump in power.
The one that I have now is the Invidia Q300. It sounds great. Louder(which I like), does not drone, and with a tune is good for an increase in power. Down side is that it is a multi piece design and the pipe on the muffler portion keeps bouncing off the bracket underneath the car(which is just annoying).

The both look good and pricewise are about the same.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:14 AM
sLy201
5th Gear
thanks and I was reading your posts about exhausts and saw some of the videos ... thanks I am leaning towards the Invidia and Alta one. Never even considered a JCW one cause I always thought things from Mini were ridiculously over priced. Ill check it out.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:28 AM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've only heard/listened to one aftermarket exhaust on an R56 but my friend doesnt even know what brand it is. It looks like custom piping. Most i've heard/listened to are from videos.
I was able to to find someone local that was selling their MINI so I bought his ALTA stealth. I have no cat since the muffler shop I took it to cut wrong so I decided to just leave it off. I've had it for about a month now and I drive about 70 miles a day (mostly fwy). The drone is very bearable and it has a pretty deep sound. Every cold start-up it hits the bracket underneathe but goes away once I start moving. I'll probably take the bracket out. I have a little bit of rattle coming from the secret glove compartment cover but nothing major or annoying. I love the exhaust but then again I've always wanted an ALTA with those black tips. I can't comment on price wise since I got mine for $600 with about 1-2K usage from the original owner. Hopefully in the future I can get a downpipe and a tune to go with it. For now, it's running with the DoS intake and the AP.

I took a crappy video with my fiancé revving it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZAcp...e_gdata_player

Good luck with your hunt and let us know what you get.

Last edited by MiniBOL; 12-29-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:03 PM
sLy201
5th Gear
yours sounds nice and is exactly something I am looking for ... I have been looking at alta exhaust vids on youtube and i must say i am impressed .. but there is a bunch of R56 exhausts out there I know remus doesnt make one for my model, if they did id go with that hands down... thanks for the post and will def let ya guys know ...

def like your sound

Old 12-29-2011, 12:13 PM
sLy201
5th Gear
I am verrrry close to purchasing this one as I want to order one either today or tomorrow. What do you guys think about the Alta catback ?? Here is a link to it watch the 2nd video the want closest to the bottom ... let me know im very curious to what you guys think ...

http://www.altaperformance.com/produ...st-w-Dual-Tips

click the video tab

Old 12-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
http://vimeo.com/22124043

browse through my page there i have had a good amount of exhasuts and settled on what i have now. It all comes to what you want to hear.

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 12-29-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:46 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
I like the ALTA since that's what I went with. Now I'm curious if my ALTA sounds like the one on their website's video when I'm driving. I'm gonna have to try and replicate it.

I've watched Bigprfed22's video before and it's awesome. What DP would you recommend Bigprfed22? I'm looking into getting one towards end of next year. For now I'm waiting on the Helix IC and I'll be done with the performance mods for awhile.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Realistically fit and finish is what is important, I will be going catless sooner or later but i have not found any that fit well. I might just have one made. As long as its 2.5 inch its all gravey!

Originally Posted by MiniBOL
I like the ALTA since that's what I went with. Now I'm curious if my ALTA sounds like the one on their website's video when I'm driving. I'm gonna have to try and replicate it.

I've watched Bigprfed22's video before and it's awesome. What DP would you recommend Bigprfed22? I'm looking into getting one towards end of next year. For now I'm waiting on the Helix IC and I'll be done with the performance mods for awhile.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:29 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniBOL

I know I'm not Bigprfed but I wouldn't dance with a new downpipe unless you're going to get an ECU tune to get rid of the catalyst codes. This is especially true if you have OBDII checks in your state. Way Motor Works offers a high performance catted downpipe that looks very well made. I believe Akrapovic also has one too. I'm not so sure about the fitment of both to a stock or aftermarket cat-back. You might as well plan on going to an exhaust shop to get everything perfect. IMHO the best way to make guaranteed power is to go catless, but there are definitely downsides to it. Also, the car will now become technically a "non-road" car for track use according to the EPA.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Thought that was common knowledge my fault

Originally Posted by countryboyshane
I wouldn't dance with a new downpipe unless you're going to get an ECU tune to get rid of the catalyst codes. This is especially true if you have OBDII checks in your state.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:44 PM
sLy201
5th Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
IMHO the best way to make guaranteed power is to go catless, but there are definitely downsides to it. Also, the car will now become technically a "non-road" car for track use according to the EPA.

So this will make my car not legal to drive on the road ?? I am confused by that and do not plan on changing my down pipe at all just adding the exhaust and i do not have money for a tune job right now. I am simply just interested in the exhaust.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:32 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
I think you will be okay with the catback exhaust. I believe countryboyshane and Bigprfed22 are talking about DP's.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:43 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sLy201
So this will make my car not legal to drive on the road ?? I am confused by that and do not plan on changing my down pipe at all just adding the exhaust and i do not have money for a tune job right now. I am simply just interested in the exhaust.
Then you're legal. As long as you're not modifying the downpipe with the cat in it, you'll have no issues including state inspections.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:46 PM
sLy201
5th Gear
well its okay cause my car has to be paid off to pass inspections as is cause of stupid tints ... but yeah im not puttin in a downpipe yet ... im not ready for all that, looking for a simple exhaust to get some increase of hp but mainly add a bad boy sound to my baby !! thanks for all the help guys i believe I am going with the ALTA but im going to sleep on it and promised myself jan 1st ill place the order after thinking about it for 2 days. thanks for all the insight and advise.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:07 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
I sold my 1 week old Invieda to Bigprfed, because the drone was bad. Yes I installed it correctly, but that thing was horrible. 75 mph on the highway would give me a headache.

In my experience, the only exhausts that don't drone, are the Akrapovic ($1635), and the JCW (about $900 with tips). Period. I'm still debating either the Akrapovic or a LSD.. Oh what the heck, I'll get both...lol

Old 12-30-2011, 05:55 AM
sLy201
5th Gear
I mean Akrapovic I have seen some minis with that one but i dont have that kind of money for an exhaust. the exhaust im looking at is half that price. Besides a Mini dealership where could i purchase a JCW exhaust?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:03 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Period. I'm still debating either the Akrapovic or a LSD.. Oh what the heck, I'll get both...lol
I like that idea

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more