R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Rear Mud Flaps- an easier way to install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 05:44 PM
white3
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear Mud Flaps- an easier way to install?

After looking through the Mfg installation guide and other peoples suggestions, I think I might add a few of my own after installing the flaps today.

To make the job easier, have a new blade in your boxcutter and a sharp awl. The job begins with the removal of the plastic expander rivet. Pull back on the wheel arch liner and you will see the bracket with a hole in it where the rivet was, this is where the first screw goes. The trick is to position the sheet metal nut provided behind this hole. I used electrical tape and taped it into position so I wouldnt have to hold it with my hand. I punched a hole thru the tape so when I placed the mudflap into positon, the screw would go easily into the metal nut. Screw in, but not tight.

Prepare the mudflap- pull about an inch of the protective film off of the adhesive strip on both ends, and secure each end with tape on the outside of the flap, this way you wont accidentally lose an end when the flap is in place.

With this screw in place , the mudflap can be held in position and with the awl, I made a hole for the second screw. Swing the mudflap down out of your way for the next step. The sheet metal nut for this screw is held in place by cutting a slit about 1/2 inch away from the hole. Make sure that the slit is to the side or below the hole so that the clip is hidden from view when the metal nut is slid into place. Insert metal nut so that the hole lines up with the hole in the nut. Insert 2nd screw.

Make sure alignment is good, then insert the 2 metal tabs, tighten the 2 screws, and remove the tape holding the protective film and pull it off. Press edge firmly in place and you are done!

Old 12-29-2011, 07:12 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did this method require you to remove the rear wheels? I've read that the front mud flaps can be installed with the wheels on but that the rears require removal of the wheels.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:56 AM
white3
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I removed the rear wheels to make it easier to access. I forgot to mention that I have read that some people have had trouble getting the adhesive strip to stick. I cleaned the area with Simple Green first, then some isopropyl alcohol afterwards and so far so good.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Kirby11
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smart idea with taping that nut into place - that sounds so much easier than the contortions needed to hold it while trying to screw into it. I needed this brilliant idea a couple months ago!

Antoher tip: one of my rear flaps wasn't sticking to the bumper so I went back and poked a new hole while holding the flap firmly to the bumper and just a little bit higher than it would ultimately be (0.5cm or so). Once it was screwed back into place it fell right into position. That solved my sticking problem and now they're nice and tight.