R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Can anyone identify these wires in front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 10:10 AM
d@g
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone identify these wires in front bumper?

I'm trying to determine if I might have pre-wiring for front foglights. I opened the lower access port in the wheel well on the driver's side and found these wires.

One set goes upward toward the headlight area but maybe to the marker light in the black wheel trim. I can't find the other end poking around in the upper access hole.

One set of wires is definitely the parking lamp wires.

One thin wire pair goes downward (Unknown A) and other set goes to a connector or sensor mounted in the plastic bumper (Unknown B).

Does anyone recognize the wires I've labeled as Unknown A & B and know what the wires going vertically are for? I'm losing hope that there may be front fog light wires tucked up there like MINI so conveniently gave us for the rears. I also don't want to start pulling at wires that I can't fully see.

Thanks for any help.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:12 AM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm assuming it's the harness' built in connection for fog lights, but they most likely would have to be coded if you hooked them in.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:26 AM
d@g
3rd Gear
Yeah, the coding is no problem. I'd just like to know if there's a wiring there. If not, I'll either (1) install separate wiring and try to tap into the SPEG output that corresponds to the front fog location controlled by the FWM. Failing that, I'll do a totally separate run a la driving lights. I'd really like to use the center stalk toggle though rather than an aftermarket switch.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:56 AM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Unknown B looks like it's attached to the windshield washer reservoir. What happens when you pull on unknown A?

Old 12-31-2011, 11:26 AM
d@g
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
Unknown B looks like it's attached to the windshield washer reservoir. What happens when you pull on unknown A?
Your post gave me an idea to check TIS on the washer reservoir section. Sure enough, Unknown B is the washer pump and Unknown A is the reservoir level sensor. Dang.

The crappy photo from TIS shows the foglight/parking light assembly in the background. Looks for sure like the foglight is part of the same harness. It does make me wonder about the wire going UP toward the headlight though. It's fairly thick (thicker than the parking light wires). May have to cram my hand in there a little further....

Update: The wire going UP toward the headlight splits. One branch goes to the side marker light and the other goes behind something sharp and metal :( near the base of the headlight. Only way to know is to pull off the wheel and wheel arch cover and see where it goes...

Last edited by d@g; 12-31-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:40 PM
healey67
4th Gear
Update: The wire going UP toward the headlight splits. One branch goes to the side marker light and the other goes behind something sharp and metal :( near the base of the headlight. Only way to know is to pull off the wheel and wheel arch cover and see where it goes

There is a Reciever antenna for your Tire Pressure sensors right under the headlamp housing. thats where the other wire goes up to.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:43 PM
amancuso
5th Gear
I would guess the wire would be bundled with the driving light wiring. If it's not there then it's probably not prewired. You really need to get someone with the fog light option to remove the lamp and post pics/let you know. That being said my car has rear fogs but no fronts, weird option set, eh?

Old 12-31-2011, 01:18 PM
d@g
3rd Gear
Yeah, I think Healy67 called it. The extra wire is the antenna for the TPMS. Hope is fading unless I pull the bumper/wheel well covers and find a hidden and capped wire there with a bow on it, Christmas is over :(

I have a set of OEM fog light housings on order. Already have the new faceplate and toggle for the center stalk. Hopefully Bentley has some good schematics that will provide some clues for how to tap in the Footwell module. Otherwise, I'll use the driving light install kit and go with my least favorite approach (a separate switch). Not the end of the world, but not super clean.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:01 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
In other cases where a feature is missing but the car is pre-wired for it (e.g. rear fog, CD changer, alarm system), there are already connectors ready to plug in. I mean, what else would they do with the end of the wire? So if there isn't a wire with unused connector in that area (probably tied up or taped), it is very unlikely that the fog is prewired.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:43 PM
focus4fun
1st Gear
I can't get you a good picture, but I went back thru my rebuild pictures, and this is what I remember. On the passenger side, the wiring for the fog light was in the same bundle as the wheel arch light and the horns, so I would guess that you would have to look thru the lower wheel well access cover, and it will probably be tied up to the bumper support. On the drivers side, the back of the fog light actually fit into the hole in the washer bottle, and the wires were bundled with the washer reservoir pumps and sensor wiring. Hope this might help.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:40 PM
d@g
3rd Gear
Thanks for your note. Are you saying that your car didn't have fogs and you found the wires hidden in the bumper when you did your rebuild? That's encouraging - I have heard that the '08s were pre-wired for just about everything, but the proof will be only known when I pull off the bumper. Thanks for a little encouraging news!

Old 12-31-2011, 09:23 PM
focus4fun
1st Gear
Sorry for the misinformation. My rebuild already had the fog lights in it. I just wanted to let you know where you might look for the plugs.