R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 threw a code today

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Saleen190
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
threw a code today

First let me apologize for also posting about this in the '07 mods/driveline thread.

I had done a search for this and the one it found was there and I posted before I realized that it was in the "modded' section. That being said I have a stock '07 S with 47k miles on it. Today it threw the P112B. In the other thread a couple people discussed it being a o2 sensor or maf code and only needed reflashed. Has anyone else dealt with this ? what was it? how'd ya fix it? The code reader says its manufacturer specific and thats all. The guy at Mini Service said he had no idea what it is.

Car runs/idles/drives fine. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
did it show the little speedometer icon?

Old 01-09-2012, 02:43 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Gimme till tonight, and I'll pull that exact fault code from my Bentley service manual, and walk you through it.

- Erik

Old 01-09-2012, 08:53 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Saleen190
Today it threw the P112B. In the other thread a couple people discussed it being a o2 sensor or maf code and only needed reflashed.
* MINI DTC P112B (0x2F22) - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 1, Minimum Temperature Implausible
Basically the coolant temperature sensor (CTS) is beginning to fail where the output signal to the ECU is below a certain value that physically can't be true.
Some have remedied this with a simple CTS replacement; others have needed a ECU reflash to change internal programming to remove error in the code.

Check with your dealer to see what course of action they recommend / require.

- Erik

Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Saleen190
Neutral
Thanks Erik. I appreciate it. This morning I got in the car to drive to work and the CEL didnt come on. Drove all the way in to work (45 miles) with no problems and no lights. What would have made it reset itself?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:01 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Saleen190
Drove all the way in to work (45 miles) with no problems and no lights. What would have made it reset itself?
The ECU currently isn't seeing the same problem, but as a result, the fault code is still stored in memory.
Clear out the code, and trace it to see if you're able to reproduce (if possible) the same problem to isolate the issue.

- Erik

Old 04-04-2016, 07:28 AM
nitsua
Neutral
Replaced my thermostat housing also and now have a P112B code which keeps coming back, runs a bit flat at times, cant clear code permanently.....any suggestions other than a gallon of gas and a match? stock 08 cooper s clubman, 109k.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:04 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by nitsua
Replaced my thermostat housing also and now have a P112B code which keeps coming back, runs a bit flat at times, cant clear code permanently.....any suggestions other than a gallon of gas and a match? stock 08 cooper s clubman, 109k.
Maybe try bleeding the coolant system again to make sure there isn't any trapped air in there. Also, check the connection and make sure it's not loose or something is plugged in incorrectly.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-04-2016, 08:48 AM
nitsua
Neutral
P112b

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Maybe try bleeding the coolant system again to make sure there isn't any trapped air in there. Also, check the connection and make sure it's not loose or something is plugged in incorrectly.

Yes, I did both those things....I have a Mitchell on line shop manual as well as a CD mini manual from eBay out of Canada. I checked also that I have voltage to the sensor, and a good ground. The connector has a green piece in the female end, I can not find anywhere color codes for the wiring harness that match my car. The color on the temp sensor is yellow and white

Old 04-04-2016, 09:25 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Yes, I did both those things....I have a Mitchell on line shop manual as well as a CD mini manual from eBay out of Canada. I checked also that I have voltage to the sensor, and a good ground. The connector has a green piece in the female end, I can not find anywhere color codes for the wiring harness that match my car. The color on the temp sensor is yellow and white
If you go to our site: http://www.pelicanparts.com/Mini/index-SC.htm click on the "tech info" tab at the top and then select the R56 articles. Under Cooling System we have a Thermostat article with detailed images that you can take a look at to make sure all your connectors are plugged in to the proper location. We also have a temperature sensor replacement article under engine. Maybe take a look and make sure everything looks good, isn't loose/damaged/in the wrong location. Let me know what you find.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:38 AM
nitsua
Neutral
Yes, I found that yesterday. I left you guys a great note on your page...thought it was fantastic. I bought this part from your competitor because i didn't know you existed...but after seeing that page you will be my go to for parts for now on

Old 04-04-2016, 09:50 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Yes, I found that yesterday. I left you guys a great note on your page...thought it was fantastic. I bought this part from your competitor because i didn't know you existed...but after seeing that page you will be my go to for parts for now on
Appreciate it! Glad they are helpful. Also, make sure the coolant level isn't low and there are no other components in the cooling system that are leaking. Does it not blow hot air at all? If so, could definitely still have air bubbles in the system somewhere.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:28 AM
nitsua
Neutral
Lots of heat, found it one qt low on coolant after putting a gallon in. When I first road tested it was fine, took about 30 min to get light and code. I need to drive about 200 miles today for work.......if it pukes, you will see a new for sale mini here, i will see if light goes on and let you know, thanks for your concern

Old 05-01-2016, 08:54 PM
OzCop
Neutral
Issues with my new to me 09 Mini Cooper JCW

I bought this car a couple of weeks ago, checked it over for leaks, etc, drove it about 300 miles locally with no issues. Decided to make a relatively quick trip to KY and Ohio from Dallas, leaving this past Wednesday. I traveled nearly 2000 trouble free miles and on the way home after I turned off I 40 onto I 440 to head toward Texarkana and Dallas, the hot temp light came on. Pulled off at the first exit into a Shell station, and checked coolant. I bought a gallon of coolant, and actually added about a quart after it cooled down. Fired it up and hit the road again...as I came off I 440 onto I 30, the temp light re appeared. Pulled off again. I had taken my DRB tool with me, so I plugged it in to check engine temp and it read 260 plus, but fluctuated a bit back to 190 or 200 on occasion. I allowed it to cool off for about 30 minutes, back down to 210 and hit the highway again. Three miles later I turned into a large Walmart parking lot with the light showing again. I called AAA, had it towed to Texarkana and had called a friend to go to my house and pick up my truck and trailer and meet me there...home at 530AM. I took it off the trailer this evening and checked it again, and had the P112 code show up. I'm hoping it is the temp sensor giving false reading and tripping the light. My question is, where is this sensor, and how difficult is it to change? Is the water pump belt driven or electric? (wrecker driver thought it might be a drive belt.) Thanks...this is a great, informative forum...

Old 05-09-2016, 09:40 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by OzCop
I bought this car a couple of weeks ago, checked it over for leaks, etc, drove it about 300 miles locally with no issues. Decided to make a relatively quick trip to KY and Ohio from Dallas, leaving this past Wednesday. I traveled nearly 2000 trouble free miles and on the way home after I turned off I 40 onto I 440 to head toward Texarkana and Dallas, the hot temp light came on. Pulled off at the first exit into a Shell station, and checked coolant. I bought a gallon of coolant, and actually added about a quart after it cooled down. Fired it up and hit the road again...as I came off I 440 onto I 30, the temp light re appeared. Pulled off again. I had taken my DRB tool with me, so I plugged it in to check engine temp and it read 260 plus, but fluctuated a bit back to 190 or 200 on occasion. I allowed it to cool off for about 30 minutes, back down to 210 and hit the highway again. Three miles later I turned into a large Walmart parking lot with the light showing again. I called AAA, had it towed to Texarkana and had called a friend to go to my house and pick up my truck and trailer and meet me there...home at 530AM. I took it off the trailer this evening and checked it again, and had the P112 code show up. I'm hoping it is the temp sensor giving false reading and tripping the light. My question is, where is this sensor, and how difficult is it to change? Is the water pump belt driven or electric? (wrecker driver thought it might be a drive belt.) Thanks...this is a great, informative forum...
Seems your code is incomplete? There should be another number or letter with that. What was the description of the code? Was the coolant level low again? The CTS is located on the thermostat housing, pictured below:

Old 05-10-2016, 04:42 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The behavior you describe sounds like it could be an air pocket in the cooling system. Worth trying to bleed it out.