R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 minidoode

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 03:51 PM
minidoode
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
minidoode

New owner - new Mini 2011 conv, 6,500 mi so far.....great car so far except I miss having a spare tire and jack..... any modifications out there for this? My dealer says they have never modified for spare tire and jack..... anybody know if this has been done?

Also, can't see the oil on my dipstick, and the Forum has about 100 other with same problem/ no solutions.... a lot of owner frustration

Old 01-11-2012, 03:58 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by minidoode
except I miss having a spare tire and jack..... any modifications out there for this? My dealer says they have never modified for spare tire and jack..... anybody know if this has been done?
There's been several threads in the archives on how to put together a spare.
Tools, and other necessary equipment can be found through the dealer.
* https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-74-00-a.html

Originally Posted by minidoode
Also, can't see the oil on my dipstick, and the Forum has about 100 other with same problem/ no solutions.... a lot of owner frustration
No... you need to get over the fact that you need to read the owners manual and follow directions (this applies to all 2nd-Gen, not just 2012's):

- Erik

Old 01-11-2012, 04:22 PM
minidoode
Neutral
Gadzooks!! The only 2 mechanical car tasks I was good at: Tires & oil.... now this!!

Thanks very much for your quick response and explanation, bluefox 280........

Old 01-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Spridget
4th Gear
The frustrating bit is that even when following the oil-checking procedure in the manual, the stick is still very hard to read.

Spridget

Old 01-11-2012, 04:49 PM
minidoode
Neutral
Amazing such a customer oriented company lets this continue..... thanks for your response....

Old 01-12-2012, 12:03 AM
OceanMini2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluefox280
No... you need to get over the fact that you need to read the owners manual and follow directions (this applies to all 2nd-Gen, not just 2012's):

- Erik
If you use that method (as shown above and is not in the owner's manual) you may have to repeat steps 6 - 17 several times until the oil is completely out of the tube.

This is what is in the owner's manual:
1. With the vehicle's engine at normal operating temperature, i.e. after uninterrupted driving for at least 6 miles/10 km, park the vehicle on a level surface.
2. Switch off the engine.
3. Pull the dipstick out after approx. 5 minutes and wipe it off with a lint-free cloth, paper towel or similar material.
4. Carefully push the dipstick all the way into the guide tube and pull it out again. The oil level should be between the two marks on the dipstick. The oil quantity corresponding to the difference between the two marks on the dipstick is 1 US quart/1 liter. Do not fill beyond the upper mark on the dipstick. Excess oil will damage the engine.

^^THAT IS THE PROBLEM. ^^

If you check your oil per the owner's manual it almost always appears to be over filled, even if the car is a quart low.

Last edited by OceanMini2; 01-12-2012 at 12:20 AM.