R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Winter Computer Glitches??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Computer Glitches??

Ok, so this is the second winter in New Jersey that I'll have had my MINI for, and I don't remember the car being this bad last year--and it seems that our winter last year was much worse. Recently, the temps in my area have dropped significantly, and the car is a little slower when it starts, as expected. But something else unexpected and pretty frightening when it happens is that when I go to start the car (usually when it's very very cold, I'd say 30 and below), the gong hesitates, and I hear this excruciatingly loud audio pop from the speakers--almost like the car's computer freezes and then tries to catch up with itself. After the "audio pop", instead of gonging for the 4 or so times it normally would, it skips the first 2. There are no problems with the car starting and turning on in the cold so far, but it seems that there is something wrong with the computer when the temps get this low. Also, my low tire pressure monitor has been on, saying that my left front is low, and it did look it, so I took it to the gas station and put some air in. The tire looks much better now, however the warning light still comes on and stays on. I'm sure the low tire warning can be reset by the dealer, but anyone else experience this frightening noise I hear when starting up in really cold weather? Any helpful input is appreciated.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:09 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
I can't help you with the pop, but the tire pressure reset is in your owner manual.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Mini-RI
2nd Gear
How is your battery? These cars crave full voltage / current and a weak battery may not be enough now that its cold

Old 01-16-2012, 05:01 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Probably a bad or week battery. The OEM battries are well know for short life spans and well it is your second winter.

Also of concern with any battery in these cars is short trips will NOT charge the battery sufficiently to maintain a good charge.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Thanks for all the input-I appreciate it. I wouldn't have thought about it being from a low battery. I made a service appointment for today, and this is the deal. I figured the service tech wouldn't be able to duplicate what I was describing (they probably thought I was nuts to begin with), but it usually only happens when it's very cold outside and the car has been sitting. So I took my camera into my car this morning banking on the fact that it would happen again, which it did, and I video recorded my start-up, with the initial explosive pop noise of the "gong" dinging (abnormally loud, which is the problem). They were about to send me home after 2.5 hours of not being able to figure out what the problem was and the car showing no diagnosis codes. Then I whipped out my camera and said, there is most definitely something wrong and showed them my recording. They took a look, the technician went back into the garage and came out a little later and said that they had found a bulletin about the radio's, and that what I was showing them corresponded with the bulletin. Why it took them that long to associate with a bulletin already noted is beyond me, but they said the car's radio needs to be replaced and it needs to be entirely reprogrammed. They gave me a 2012 Clubman as a loaner and I should have my Cooper back tomorrow. Hoping for the best..

Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 PM
amancuso
5th Gear
Good luck! I hope it gets sorted for you.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
thank you!! Picked the car up today, they put a 2012 radio in and reprogrammed the whole car. It would have been nice to see that they put my radio presets back in and saved my personalized settings for the car, but nope. I wasn't expecting it, however it would have been nice to see a dealership go the extra mile. The service adviser however told me that my description of the problem helped them a lot in relating it to the bulletin already in existence for the radio, apparently it isn't a common problem--but anyone else with a 2011 having problems like I described, go get your radio replaced!!

Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 AM
BludyL
3rd Gear
Interesting, I have very similar problems. My issue feels like the wiring. On a cold day, I start the car, and it seems like all the audio is very "poppy". FM, AM, Sirius, Aux, CD, all of them come in and out for the first 15 minutes of my drive. Was thinking it was wiring, but I guess it could be the radio as well. Anyone know how much a replacement radio might cost? If it's too much, it wouldn't be worth it, I can just endure...

Old 02-07-2013, 01:41 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same issue you are having. I didn't have the tire pressure issue though. It is a matter of temp. It hasnt happend when its above 30 degrees.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:46 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddyboi77
thank you!! Picked the car up today, they put a 2012 radio in and reprogrammed the whole car. It would have been nice to see that they put my radio presets back in and saved my personalized settings for the car, but nope. I wasn't expecting it, however it would have been nice to see a dealership go the extra mile. The service adviser however told me that my description of the problem helped them a lot in relating it to the bulletin already in existence for the radio, apparently it isn't a common problem--but anyone else with a 2011 having problems like I described, go get your radio replaced!!
Any info on that bulletin? Like number or something?

Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM
oldtruckpainter
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you got the loud pop issue fixed. The low tire pressure when it gets cold out is normal for any car. In MN (where 30 degrees is a nice day) it's common to need to add 5+ pounds to each tire at the beginning of winter.