R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Problems with 2012 Models?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:34 AM
amancuso
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tank251
That is a long commute. More than twice mine (36 miles). I averaged a little over 9K a year on my 07 Accent. I figure I will drive more in my MINI as it is fun and not a chore.

I hope your commute isn't in bumper to bumper traffic.
Nope, it's all open sailing. You can check google maps, it's I-295/I-195 in New Jersey or if I am feeling playful I can take one of many backroads through the countryside. I rotate my commute between Desmond and our trusty ol' 330i. Both are fun to drive.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Tank251
4th Gear
Originally Posted by amancuso
Nope, it's all open sailing. You can check google maps, it's I-295/I-195 in New Jersey or if I am feeling playful I can take one of many backroads through the countryside. I rotate my commute between Desmond and our trusty ol' 330i. Both are fun to drive.
Good. Glad to hear it. That I think would be a good commute.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:55 PM
NinerfanWI
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 2012 MSC was starting a little rough when cold. I switched to Shell gas (93 octane, no ethanol) and it cleared up right away. About 2500 miles and no other problems.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
I wish I could get no-ethanol gas...but, no, not around here. I can get 93 octane, which Smokey likes.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:28 PM
danigurrl
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by greasypeanut
60 miles 5 days a week for work. gf lives 15 miles away. and i go to LA which is 20 miles away at least once a week. i expect if things continue like this, which hopefully they wont, ill be one of the first to 100k lol.
We'll have to see who hits it first. I drive 106 miles a day for work, and weekends I pretty much drive the same (I live 53 miles from my work and all my friends live aorund my workplace.) I do about 27k-30k a year.

I just hit 3333 miles tonight. I picked my car up on 12/22.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:44 PM
greasypeanut
2nd Gear
wow....i thought i drove a lot lol. hope to see yours along with my girl going strong at 100k :-)

Old 02-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Mini_Mole
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SCMountaineer
Mine had to have a new thermostat sensor...at less than 3000 miles.
Mine went out last week for the same reason. Upon diagnostic test it showed my engine was at 158 deg. even after sitting for 8hrs in 12 deg. weather. The service tech also stated this has been a common problem with the "S" series.. Hopefully they resolve the issue.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PinoyMini
2012 MCS here with almost 3K on the clock.
(MC) DITTO!

Have had no problems at all,
DITTO!!

and loving it more and more everyday!
DITTO!!!

Old 02-15-2012, 07:03 AM
z4m
Neutral
Hey Guys, GF's Cooper is a 2012, bought 6-7 weeks ago. Battery has died 4 times already. We live in Dallas where the weather hasn't been that cold really. Dealer can't diagnose the problem and attributes to limited driving. The car has about 1020 miles in 6-7 weeks, so I find their reasons to be dubious. I've posted a detailed post in this very forum. Any help is appreciated. Other than this issue, couldn't be more happier with the purchase.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:45 AM
Bubble and Squeak
4th Gear
I just rolled over 10,000 miles on my 2012 (yes I drive a lot) and I have had no real issues. That said it did go in for service today for some squeaks and a leak where the top and the window meet.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:29 PM
NinerfanWI
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the same thermostat sensor some others have mentioned at 3100 miles. Great service from Mini of the Fox Valley. They delivered JR back to my home at 7pm. I live about 45 miles from my dealership.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by z4m
Hey Guys, GF's Cooper is a 2012, bought 6-7 weeks ago. Battery has died 4 times already. We live in Dallas where the weather hasn't been that cold really. Dealer can't diagnose the problem and attributes to limited driving. The car has about 1020 miles in 6-7 weeks, so I find their reasons to be dubious. I've posted a detailed post in this very forum. Any help is appreciated. Other than this issue, couldn't be more happier with the purchase.
Sorry to hear about this problem. It seem unusual. Hope your dealership gets to the bottom of if without too much issue...My '12 car has sat for a week and a half without any battery problem and I live in the northeast. Hope it works out well for you.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:24 AM
Mini_Mole
1st Gear
Just got my Mini back yesterday from the dealer. They replaced the Thermostat sensor and now she's back up and running. Was very pleased with the customer service. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here on out.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:02 AM
SCMountaineer
4th Gear
Interesting that several of us have had that same thermostat sensor issue. My service advisor said they had already replaced a handful. new supplier or design for 2012?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My thermostat went out at around a thousand miles... Maybe it's an N18 engine issue?

Old 02-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Blu3
Neutral
I bought this car on January 2nd this year with 10 miles on it.
I now have about 1200 miles on it today.
Thankfully, no real issues to report.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:36 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
No mechanical issues with my 2012 JCW Coupe after 5500 miles.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:15 AM
ardweebno
1st Gear
2600 miles and no major issues

My 2012 Clubman S hasn't had any major issues, but I did take it in to have the cold start rattle listened to. The Service Advisor said that the rattle (lasts around 1 minute from cold startup) was the wastegate. Apparently, the wastegate doesn't seal properly until the engine generates a little bit of heat, causing the wastegate seal to expand. Until it expands, it rattles a little bit.

I'm saying that is actually the cause of the rattle, but it goes away after a minute and I haven't had any performance issues with the car.

One minor annoyance is that where I live (Omaha, NE) it is getting harder to find ethanol-free premium gas. I had 6 gas stations nearby to choose from 4 months ago when I first brought the car home. Now I have only one.

The front-door speakers (woofers, actually) can rattle a little bit on hard bass notes. I have seen other postings on the forum about people who put some thin slices of felt between the speaker and door panel to insulate the vibrations. Personally, it isn't bad enough to irritate me to the point to start tearing the door apart.

Your gas mileage will be surprisingly poor for the first few tanks. I have had NUMEROUS people tell me that modern engines don't have a break-in period anymore and to just drive the car like you normally would. The MPG for my first two tanks was 21 mpg. Now at 2600 miles, I'm averaging about 26 mpg (almost all citi driving).

Enjoy the new car!

Old 03-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Mini_Mole
Just got my Mini back yesterday from the dealer. They replaced the Thermostat sensor and now she's back up and running. Was very pleased with the customer service. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here on out.
Interesting that several of us have had that same thermostat sensor issue. My service advisor said they had already replaced a handful. new supplier or design for 2012?
Originally Posted by Melangell
My thermostat went out at around a thousand miles... Maybe it's an N18 engine issue?
Mine just went. The dealer was great about fixing it and was aware of it...so maybe it is. I found out about it on another thread. Seems to pop up after a few thousand miles. Or it could be the advent of the warmer weather we are having. Symptoms can be failure to start or stumbling when first starting. Runs great now; maybe even better than new.

At 6000 miles, that has been my only issue. Now, time for its second oil change.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Vinman63
2nd Gear
4k on VINI and all is well.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:11 PM
cricketine
3rd Gear
I'm noticing that too, although I've kinda skipped over the details of which model this is happening most with.
This is kind of the reason why I started this thread, to find out which issues were happening most often so my husband would be prepared for them. So far so good on the info coming in

Old 03-18-2012, 08:52 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ardweebno

The front-door speakers (woofers, actually) can rattle a little bit on hard bass notes. I have seen other postings on the forum about people who put some thin slices of felt between the speaker and door panel to insulate the vibrations. Personally, it isn't bad enough to irritate me to the point to start tearing the door apart.

Enjoy the new car!
I had a similar rattle on my 2011 MCS that I cured by sticking a 6"x3/8" strip of self-stick foam weatherstrip tape (FrostKing @ HD) between the door panel and door along the bottom side. I was able to easily pry a small gap using a putty tool and shove the tape up in there. No need to remove the panel. Bass no longer rattles my door panels. I didn't realize how much the buzz/rattle bothered me until it was gone.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:51 PM
joemeeth
1st Gear
I've had my mini countryman two days. Picked it up Saturday only drove home from the dealer about 35 miles. Sunday engine light on..monday at dealer got a loaner and they found the fuel sender seal leaking...way home from service....air bags light on and annoying rattle.......looking into NYS lemon laws very unhappy. back to the dealer tomorrow. Not a good first experience. 2012 countryman

Old 03-19-2012, 06:23 PM
cricketine
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by joemeeth
I've had my mini countryman two days. Picked it up Saturday only drove home from the dealer about 35 miles. Sunday engine light on..monday at dealer got a loaner and they found the fuel sender seal leaking...way home from service....air bags light on and annoying rattle.......looking into NYS lemon laws very unhappy. back to the dealer tomorrow. Not a good first experience. 2012 countryman
Wow
That is not good! Is the dealer willing to do a trade or anything for something that actually runs properly?

Yeah..as if I hope you get it straightened out because that is not right.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:48 PM
joemeeth
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cricketine
Wow
That is not good! Is the dealer willing to do a trade or anything for something that actually runs properly?

Yeah..as if I hope you get it straightened out because that is not right.

Dealer has been very understanding...I'll see what happens tomorrow. This has not been a great welcome to the Mini family....Obsessing on this because I waited so long for the car, went against my more rational side (was going to buy a Lexus 200H hybrid) and went with my heart, and as my friend said when i was driving home from the deal (before the issues) a life's dream fulfilled......looks like it is a nightmare. Hopefully i will post more positive experiences in the future......cosmic blue contryman that would like to drive somewhere else other than the dealership.

Quick Reply: R56 Problems with 2012 Models?