R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Problems with 2012 Models?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:03 PM
skyslug
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've1500 miles on my Cabrio. Picked him up about a month ago. I had a strange high pitched, almost distortion/intererence noise from my radio but I think it's gone now. Other than that the top has been up and down a bazillion times, it snows where I live so no problem cold starting, purrs like a big cat and is basically problem free (I hope I didn't jinx myself!)

Old 03-19-2012, 09:36 PM
jonrizzle
2nd Gear
I've had my Clubman S for a little over 2 weeks now, and put just over 600 miles on it. I do have a problem though and it had occurred ever since I left the dealership. For some weird reason, my right foot just keeps on pushing down the accelerator and won't let off!!!!

Old 03-20-2012, 03:18 AM
rum4
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well let me change no issues so far that I posted earlier. Mine had to have a new thermostat sensor...at around 8500 miles

Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 AM
djsequoia
1st Gear
I've had two problems with my 2012 hardtop Sport in less than 3000 miles.

(1) Rough shifting and grinding in low gear (almost right away). Dealer replaced the clutch slave cylinder. but that only fixed it for 1/2 a day. Now it is back at the Dealer getting checked out/repaired.

(2) the engine malfunction light has gone on 7 times! I don't actually lose power so I think it is a false alarm. I always close my gas cap tightly so I don't think that is the problem.

I'll find out if these are fixed this week (it's been there since last week and I haven't heard back yet).

All in all I love the car and have not lost spirit yet.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:45 AM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
3.5 months, 2400 miles, no mechanical issues.

However, a couple of times I got a warning that my remote was not in my car, and BEWARE, I might not be able to start it! Funny, because I don't have comfort access and so my fob was in the ignition like always. If that's the extent of MINI quirks I have to endure, I'll take it. (And later ask the dealer if it needs a re-flash.)

Old 03-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
4200 miles so far, and no problems yet. It's noisy first thing in the morning, especially on cold mornings (or what passes for "cold" where I live!) but that's it so far.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:27 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
MY only problem lately is the nut behind the wheel.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:00 AM
///Matthew
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
MY only problem lately is the nut behind the wheel.
Loose nut.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:21 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ///Matthew
Loose nut.
Exactly

Old 03-22-2012, 07:16 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
I worried about all the pot holes. I try to aviod them, but still hit some. Nothing huge yet, but there a lot.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Tank251
I worried about all the pot holes. I try to aviod them, but still hit some. Nothing huge yet, but there a lot.
15" wheels? You should be ok. The tire wall height helps a lot. I have the same pot hole issues and our '04 Justa has been fine. Just aviod what you can. One thing about these cars is that they are built strong.

Enjoy the motoring...

Old 03-29-2012, 07:44 PM
dgupton
1st Gear
My 2011 (same as 2012) has 17100 flawless miles.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 PM
selder
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For 2500ish miles the same problem over and over - I have to keep putting more gas in it. It's almost like it's burning it or something.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:51 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by selder
For 2500ish miles the same problem over and over - I have to keep putting more gas in it. It's almost like it's burning it or something.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 AM
bosstones
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SCMountaineer
Interesting that several of us have had that same thermostat sensor issue. My service advisor said they had already replaced a handful. new supplier or design for 2012?
Originally Posted by Melangell
My thermostat went out at around a thousand miles... Maybe it's an N18 engine issue?
I think it's a common Mini issue. I have a 2011 MCS that was actually a dealer car for a little (~ 4.5k miles) before I picked it up to replace my '93 ZJ. I went to pick it up and it threw a CEL....pulled the code and it was the thermostat. I am curious though....it seems like most of the tstats went out early on (within a few k miles). Knock on wood, mine's been fine since and I'm at about 11k. I plan to put in an oil temp gauge at some point to help monitor temps. I tend to drive easy until the engine/oil is up to temp. If it starts to overheat, at least I'll know in advance.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:58 AM
stoutejongen
Neutral
We purchased our '12 Cooper S on 10/1. At ~5k miles our engine power reduction (yellow) light activated. After about 20 miles of emergency driving to visit my mother in law in the hospital and a few days of sitting idle, the light deactivated. Dealer could find no record of the fault in the ECM memory. I guess it was some bad gas.

Before I got home with the car after the dealer service I noticed I am now getting some popping on the overrun. Seems more than coincidental. I'm thinking they may have installed an ECU update. My wife hates the sound and she is the principle driver.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by stoutejongen
We purchased our '12 Cooper S on 10/1. At ~5k miles our engine power reduction (yellow) light activated. After about 20 miles of emergency driving to visit my mother in law in the hospital and a few days of sitting idle, the light deactivated. Dealer could find no record of the fault in the ECM memory. I guess it was some bad gas.

Before I got home with the car after the dealer service I noticed I am now getting some popping on the overrun. Seems more than coincidental. I'm thinking they may have installed an ECU update. My wife hates the sound and she is the principle driver.
Is the popping occurring while in Sport Mode? If so this is completely normal. I Love it.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:53 AM
stoutejongen
Neutral
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Is the popping occurring while in Sport Mode? If so this is completely normal. I Love it.
I'm not crazy about it. The sudden appearance of the popping on overrun after 5600 miles is the abnormal part. I drive it in sport mode probably 50% of the time and never heard the popping until yesterday. I noticed the popping even before I got home following the dealer visit. I know they were running a diagnostic on the ECU and I think they must've installed an update to my Sept '11 build car.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Tank251
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
15" wheels? You should be ok. The tire wall height helps a lot. I have the same pot hole issues and our '04 Justa has been fine. Just aviod what you can. One thing about these cars is that they are built strong.

Enjoy the motoring...
Yes 15" wheels. I have read several posts about towering with the front struts. I saw the fixes at outmotoring and way motor works. But I don't know if I could put those support things in.

Thanks. Makes me feel better.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:46 AM
nddst
2nd Gear
Picked up my Mini on 9/23 last year and its been in the shop since last wed (7600 miles). Replaced thermostat, fuel injectors, engine coils. It's the dreaded "Cold start problem" I have seen on these forums before.

Dealer drained all the gas from the car and replaced with different gas. They said the gas was "yellow" although I am not sure what that means. The problems extended two fillups so i think they are giving me the runaround. Hopefully posting this here will get some more feedback.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Tank251
Yes 15" wheels. I have read several posts about towering with the front struts. I saw the fixes at outmotoring and way motor works. But I don't know if I could put those support things in.

Thanks. Makes me feel better.
The strut tower problem was a problem on the first Gen...2012s should be ok. Living in the northeast, I have pot hole problems galore and had no problems with my '07 through 35k and I ran 16" wheels. We have had no problems with our '04 through 45k (ya, low miles) with 15" wheels. I would not worry and enjoy the ride

Old 04-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by nddst
Picked up my Mini on 9/23 last year and its been in the shop since last wed (7600 miles). Replaced thermostat, fuel injectors, engine coils. It's the dreaded "Cold start problem" I have seen on these forums before.

Dealer drained all the gas from the car and replaced with different gas. They said the gas was "yellow" although I am not sure what that means. The problems extended two fillups so i think they are giving me the runaround. Hopefully posting this here will get some more feedback.
Give the dealer a chance. I know that mine did right by me. Usually the thermostat replacement is the fix, but they will be able to tell the best. They may need to start over and make sure they didn't get another bad thermostat. My dealer said they were able to test for it, hopefully yours is doing the same. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
bad gas

Originally Posted by nddst

On my previous Mini, my wife was driving and the car started sputtering. We had just filled the tank at a Shell station. We switched seats and I started to drive the car and it would barely run. Luckily, the station was downhill. I parked at the station and called Mini. They towed us to Niello and the next day they gave me the bad news. My car tank was filled with water. The repair bill was estimated at $3000. After cooling down, I called the station and they gave me the owner's phone number. During the call, an employee asked, " Are you calling about the water in our storage tanks?" BINGO I asked for their insurance company and was totally reimbursed including the cost of the gas that I didn't get. Impurities and water in gas stations' tanks is not uncommon.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:39 PM
SLMN
Neutral
Rattling from speaker from low bass...took it to dealership twice. First time, tech sat in car with me to duplicate issue, he heard it. They said they removed door stickers from inside the door that couldve been flapping. Rattle was still there. 2nd time: they put insulation, tech said rattling completely gone, wrong. Rattle still there and same. Now trying to see if I can try to ignore it, worried if I keep taking it back more issues will occur due to taking the panels on and off...but irritated that's its a brand new car which shouldnt have issues. Torn.Deal with it or keep bringing it back?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SLMN
Rattling from speaker from low bass...took it to dealership twice. First time, tech sat in car with me to duplicate issue, he heard it. They said they removed door stickers from inside the door that couldve been flapping. Rattle was still there. 2nd time: they put insulation, tech said rattling completely gone, wrong. Rattle still there and same. Now trying to see if I can try to ignore it, worried if I keep taking it back more issues will occur due to taking the panels on and off...but irritated that's its a brand new car which shouldnt have issues. Torn.Deal with it or keep bringing it back?
I think I would take it back if the problem is there every time. Maybe the speakers are bad. If it is new they should fix it. You paid for a car that works. A rattle isn't huge but its a flaw and annoying.

Quick Reply: R56 Problems with 2012 Models?