R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Problems with 2012 Models?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:50 AM
muzak
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cjm,

I'm repeatedly not getting any fan activity with my a/c off, so I think you do have an issue. Good luck with the dealer getting it sorted. Seems like it's staying on even longer for you now. 60s is quite a while.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:41 AM
cjm
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
muzak as you inferred before, I feel it's an N18 issue. I'm inclined to suspect computer programming either to cool the turbo to avoid melting the bonnet scoop, or engine bay, perhaps, to overcome the 'baking carbon' issue some people have seen in some N14s? Ok MINI designers, get the fan on to cool it all down quicker but for heavens' sake redesign the fan to whisper rather than shout about it...

Here in UK we've gone from frosty mornings + cool days to 29C in the last few days, consequently my fan's action is much more apparent, esp with a/c use. And, as you observe, it's staying on longer.

One piece of good news; after the first 'stat failure I booked it into another branch of the same dealer to see what they could do to resolve the issue. Today the original dealer phoned asking for it back tomorrow in an attempt for a senior technician to solve the issue, since they were disappointed with their original 'failure'. They're even picking it up really early + dropping it back when finished.; that way one of their techs can experience the fan in it's full fury and check the fix. The senior Service Manager promised that it would be sorted; so 'yeah-baby' I'm feeling good (or better, anyway).

2 BMW techies I've spoken to recently have said the fan shouldn't be needed when the car's motoring, so yours is the standard to aspire to! Pity you're so far away; I'd really like to scan yours with my OBD tool to see what your JCW's peaking at...

Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 AM
muzak
4th Gear
I meant on the N18 that my sister has as well. It is not as erratic as yours and no a/c, no fan.

I'm peaking around 106c.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:48 AM
cjm
3rd Gear
Thanks, your 106C (~223F?) fits in with NAM's 210 - 225F range.

If not my 'stat (unless another faulty one was fitted) then it has to be the fan activating switch (if there is one) or programming issues.

I'll know tomorrow; the tech arrived tonight to take it home and drive it into work early. I have to say the fervour with which they want to fix it is impressive...

Old 05-25-2012, 02:21 PM
cjm
3rd Gear
Despondent now. MINI have tested the car + found no faults, they say.
Symptoms remain; fan on after ~8mls (sooner with a/c) + runs for the entire journey inc after switch off for ~60s. Then turns off (bliss!).
If you immediately restart the car the fan stays off, thus 'scotching' any idea that it's needed to regulate underbonnet/engine temp.
I could accept it as a 'feature of the car' if it didn't sound so cheap + nasty...
l'm looking for ideas now + wondering if something else is causing the fan to default. I'm not confident that they've considered this in their test process, perhaps I'm being paranoid...

Old 06-21-2012, 05:28 AM
cjm
3rd Gear
Finally a solution on Thur 15/06/12 and it has been running perfectly for a week!

Ater a new thermostat and three return visits (when the dealer diagnosed it as 'normal') they tested it alongside another N18 confirming the original fan anomaly from a month ago.

Kept for a week for lots of coolant bleeding, since an air-lock had been suspected, then another new thermostat was fitted. Now there's no cooling fan activity during the journey nor is there any activity after switching-off.
(This is what I consider as normal.)

Temperatures are generally lower; 219 degF and varying compared to 225 degF and static so I suppose the faulty 'stat must have kept the cooling fan going to stop it overheating...

So, job done after lots of frustration/anxiety.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:30 PM
kgroff84
1st Gear
500 miles throw out bearing went mini replaced the transmission down for 3 weeks

Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 AM
mini4mo
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We have a 2012 Cooper S with about 7000 miles.

1 tire replaced due to a puncture.
The sliding roof mesh screen is hard to slide.
The vanity passenger visor is broken.

Found a dime size engine oil puddle on the garage floor this morning!
Going to be taking it in on the 21st. to get the last 3 things checked.The dealer will provide a free loaner and I have a coupon for a $49.99 oil and filter change.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Subzero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picked up my 2012 on August 11, 2011.
9500 miles, and not even one single minor issue.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:35 AM
tjb1967
Neutral
My 2012 MINI is terrible so far

I have a 12' MINI S Hardtop with 8600 miles on it and it is a nightmare. Car statred backfiring 3 weeks ago. Dealership said it was bad gas but after looking at it for 4 days they said they had no idea what was causung problem. Two days later after I picked it up from dealership, the car broke down while driving and lost all electrical functions. I was going about 40 mph when this happened and it was scary because of lack of power steering and braking. Two hours on side of road before MINI Service arrived with wrecker. This happened on 6/22/12 and as of today, 7/4/12, I still do not have the car back. They replaced the entire computer because it was damaged by water leaking through windshield because of faulty frame and bad welds for windshield according to the dealership techs.
They currently have my windshield, dash board and seats out of the vehicle and are bringing in someone certified to weld to repair the frame. It is estimated that it will take another week to repair the car. By that time I will be without the vehicle for nearly a month. I will probably have to "Lemon Law" it in CT unless MINI USA agrees to extend my warranty at their cost. The windshield problem with faulty factory welds is more concerning than the computer problem because it is part of the safety controls on the uni body frame. If those welds are bad, what other factory welds are bad on my car? MINI Customer Relations is considering my request to extend my warranty in lieu of me "Lemoning" the car and I will let everyone know what the outcome is when they decide. The dealership has said MINI has spent over $10k on reparing my vehicle and that I should be happy with that. I said a car with 8600 mi shouldn't need $10k worth of repairs since it's only 6 months old and built in December 2011.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:55 PM
italchef
1st Gear
I thought I'd just add my comments here. I've had my car for 3 months and have just hit 8k km (5k miles). The only issues I've had have been cosmetic. After about a month I noticed that the rubber had begun to separate from the chrome on the belt line. That was replaced on the spot. Then after 2 months I noticed that the paint had begun to bubble and chip around the left front fog light housing. I had to send all kinds of pictures to MINI Canada and finally after 3 weeks they've agreed to repair the paint. The dealership then told me that unfortunately they would have to keep the car for 3 days and that they would not give me a loaner or cover the cost of a rental. What??? As soon as I started to object the SA said that he'd see what he can do. That was last Thursday, it's now Tuesday afternoon and still no word. Sheesh.
Sorry about my little rant there but I'm a little ticked off.
Other than that I absolutely LOVE my car.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:04 PM
thebeach55
Neutral
2012 Clubman have had it since Nov 2011. Have had issues with the alarm going off randomly. This happened about a week after taking delivery. Our dealer has said that they have had another clubman with the same issue. We are still working with them on this issue.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:54 PM
mini4mo
3rd Gear
Since my last post.......

Check engine light came on and a battery warning light.
They both turned off in a couple days.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Wow, there are some interesting and unfortunate stories here. I picked up my 2012 MCS in mid-December, 2011 and I have about 7,000 miles on it with not a single problem or issue except that my phone sometimes does not connect to the Bluetooth when I start the car and I have to turn the phone off and on to get the connection. I have never been back to the dealer or even in contact with the dealer since the day I picked it up. The fan does run for a couple of minutes after I turn the car off and I assumed it did so to cool the turbo charger. I don't find it annoying or bothersome at all. Keep in mind too that it's mid-summer in Southern CA and it's HOT.

Last edited by chaswyck; 07-17-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:31 AM
rayzmini
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
had my issue

On July 10th took my 2012 in for a check engine light ,on the way there it went off( of course) dealer said no problem was found after diagnosis, so since i was there i had the oil changed I have 10,500 miles on it while they were test driving it the light came back on and then went off again they gave me a basic mc as a loaner and sent me on my way with a (we will call you statement) long story short they had my car untill yesterday( the 22nd) tryin to figure out why it was sending hard faults to the computer generating the Check engine light they replaced the air temp intake sensor and also a new thermostat was installed... running fine now no more issues and no more CEL .........just thought I would share my story as an FYI MAN I missed my ride!!! THE BASIC MC SUCKS *****

Old 07-23-2012, 04:58 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rayzmini
THE BASIC MC SUCKS ***** DERP DERP
Would you care to expound upon your deeply profound scientific thesis, Doctor Ray? You can't achieve cold fusion and then leave us hanging!

Old 07-23-2012, 06:31 AM
TBangin23
4th Gear
Originally Posted by thebeach55
2012 Clubman have had it since Nov 2011. Have had issues with the alarm going off randomly. This happened about a week after taking delivery. Our dealer has said that they have had another clubman with the same issue. We are still working with them on this issue.
Not sure if this applies to you, but when your alarm goes off... Are your windows or sunroof opened at all? I've heard from people that even the slightest breeze can set off the new alarms.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:44 PM
SCMountaineer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rayzmini
THE BASIC MC SUCKS *****
I've had my MC Clubman for almost 9 months now, and while it will certainly warm my ***** if I leave the seat heaters on high too long, it never once sucked them. Maybe I should have sprung for the tech package.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:26 PM
yeba
1st Gear
2012 non-S 3,000 miles, water pump has been replaced by dealer due to it making noise at idle.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kgroff84
500 miles throw out bearing went mini replaced the transmission down for 3 weeks
What were the symptom you noticed for the throw out bearing issue.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Wilde Maus
2nd Gear
Engine light came on. Full engine power no longer available says the manual.

I am almost at 5000 miles and my car will be a year old in September.

Taking it to the dealer next week.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:45 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
2012 Cooper S (with zero options), 4300 miles, 7 weeks old (I drive a lot, LOL)

I've had zero issues, I drive 60 miles per day round-trip to work, its about 85% highway. I drive like a grandma most everyday but I do give it the spirited beans every so often.

I've driven it to my fathers house (200 miles each way) twice with not even a hiccup.

I track the fuel mileage myself via odometer and fill quantity and it has been fairly steady at around 35mpg (+- 2mpg).

The only issue I've had is the on-board trip computer is consistently about 10% too generous with the MPG estimates, but that's definitely not a horrible issue.

Side note: In central Wisconsin, by my father's house, they sell Ethanol-Free premium gasoline which is non-existent in most highly populated areas (like Chicagoland, where I live).. I filled 10 gallons of this ethanol free premium and the idle was noticeably smoother, there seemed to be just a tid-bit more beans to the motor judging by the amount of wheel spin between full throttle 1st and 2nd gear changes. Plus, I averaged 41mpg on that tank of fuel.

But I digress... I've had zero problems with my 2012 Cooper S, I love it.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:52 AM
mini4mo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Wilde Maus
Engine light came on.Full engine power no longer available says the manual.
I bet the Thermostat/Coolant Temp Sensor needs to be replaced.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:02 AM
mini4mo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mini4mo
We have a 2012 Cooper S with about 7000 miles.

1 tire replaced due to a puncture.
The sliding roof mesh screen is hard to slide.
The vanity passenger visor is broken.

Found a dime size engine oil puddle on the garage floor this morning!
Going to be taking it in on the 21st. to get the last 3 things checked.The dealer will provide a free loaner and I have a coupon for a $49.99 oil and filter change.
Originally Posted by mini4mo
Since my last post.......

Check engine light came on and a battery warning light.
They both turned off in a couple days.

Dealer replaced the thermostat/coolant temp sensor,replaced oil pump solenoid and wiring harness,replaced both visors and lubed sunroof screen slide.

They had to drop the oil pan to replace the oil pump solenoid and would have reused the same motor oil if we did not request an oil change!

Old 08-03-2012, 05:05 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
About to roll over 13K this weekend in my 10/2011 build 2012. Besides the water pump going @ 400 miles (it would squeak very loudly when you shut the car off) they said the bearing was going. It has been amazing. Love my (3rd) MINI!!

Quick Reply: R56 Problems with 2012 Models?