R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 we must do something...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Boosted_Mini
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I burn oil. but I am fully bolted and tuned and have no emission control. I am not mad about it, I just get used to the idea I burn about 1 quart every 2000 miles depending on driving.

All i got out of this thread is your bought a car that potentially burns oil and now you are looking for a hand out from MINIUSA..

Old 02-03-2012, 02:44 PM
genik
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Boosted_Mini
I burn oil. but I am fully bolted and tuned and have no emission control. I am not mad about it, I just get used to the idea I burn about 1 quart every 2000 miles depending on driving.

All i got out of this thread is your bought a car that potentially burns oil and now you are looking for a hand out from MINIUSA..
how many miles?
what type of oil are u using?
what year make of your mini?

Old 02-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Boosted_Mini
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by genik
how many miles?
what type of oil are u using?
what year make of your mini?
I have 87K on my MCS, tuned for almost 26K now.
I use Castrol GTX 5W-30 or 10W-30 depending on the weather.
Mine is a 2007 R56 build date is 10/07

Mods are:

'07 Cooper S - RMW Dyno tune - Riss Racing Catless DP - Alta FMIC - Alta CAI - Alta Turbo Inlet - Alta Charge Pipes - NM Engineering Throttle Pipe - WMW DV - Alta F/R Sway Bar End Links - KW V1 Coilovers - Stoptech D/S Rotors + Pads - 5Zigen Proracer GN+ (14.7lbs)

Old 02-03-2012, 03:54 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My '09 MCS does not burn any measurable amount of oil between changes at 7,500 miles, I use the factory oil and filter only. it has 41K on it now.

To the OP Genik, are you an attorney?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:40 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 MCCS - 89K miles

MINI Oil only until out of warranty - Burned oil at approx 1 quart 1200 miles from new

Castrol Edge 0W-30 that meets the BMW LL01 specification burns oil at approx 1000-1200 miles

I have no problem with this as i stated before i have had cars with the same engine at the same time and they burned different amounts of oil.

These are mechanical items and as such will vary and with that variation will come different burn rates on oil.

Also as someone else stated my personal feeling is the op is just looking for a hand out from MINI USA even though his car meet the requirement of less than 1 quart every 1000 miles. Not only is this a MINI/BMW spec it is also approved at this rate from Ford, Chevy, Nissan, Toyota, and many other manufacturers.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Mine has never burned oil . Hood scoops still melt, timing chains still rattle, sun visor mirror doors still break, if a few Mini's burn oil you think Mini/BMW will do anything? I'm surprised they did a recall on the spontaneous combusting aux water pumps...

Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Which Edge would that be?
The Castrol type.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 PM
genik
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
My '09 MCS does not burn any measurable amount of oil between changes at 7,500 miles, I use the factory oil and filter only. it has 41K on it now.

To the OP Genik, are you an attorney?
no im just a guy who wants to figure out things before taking measures, and for this i need you guys to fill in some gaps, thats all

define factory oil (brand) and type

Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 PM
genik
5th Gear
Originally Posted by porthos
the castrol type.
5/30?

Old 02-03-2012, 11:50 PM
genik
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
Mine has never burned oil . Hood scoops still melt, timing chains still rattle, sun visor mirror doors still break, if a few Mini's burn oil you think Mini/BMW will do anything? I'm surprised they did a recall on the spontaneous combusting aux water pumps...
Well if its only a few minis or a lot that do burn oil still doesn't answer the question WHY this happens? They are the same machines and you cannot have such a great divergence if there is no specific reason, thats what we need to find out and if BMW will not make that survey, i will try to do this in here with all of you guys help There are many mini owners here and that potentially gives us the power to check something like this on a fairly large scale! So ill be taking notes down for creating a record on this issue, just please remember i need
1. year car make
2. miles driven
3. type of oil used (brand and type eg. 5/30)
4. how much oil burned? (its ok if you cant answer this, its optional)

thanx guys (and girls)

Old 02-04-2012, 08:22 AM
cschues80
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tasteskindasalty
This isn't a MINI issue, it's a car issue. A lot of cars have break in periods.
Not for 80,000 miles

Old 02-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
5/30?
Yes

And to answer your other question.
1. 07 MINI Cooper S
2. 73k
3. Amsoil 5w30 burned about a half a quart every 1-2k miles.
Switched to Castrol Edge 5w-30 have not burned oil since.
4. With Amsoil about 3 quarts.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:47 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
define factory oil (brand) and type
MINI oil bought at the MINI dealership, same as used by their service dept - same for the filter.

I don't know what brand it is, nor do I care. I figure as long as I'm using the same stuff they do, I can't have a warranty issue over using the "wrong" oil, and as I wrote before I change mine every 6 months or 7500 miles.

I also keep a record of it both with my rect's for the parts and marking the date and mileage in my service booklet.

But, like I said, my car uses no measurable amount of oil in between changes, and I do drive it in a spirited manner!

In my '03 JCW, I used Mobil 1 5W30 for the 65K I had it, it didn't use any oil either.

I don't know what your goal is with this action, all of the class action suits I've ever read about did very little for the plaintiffs, other than enriching their attorneys substantially.

What is your goal exactly, what do you want BMW/MINI to do about this?

Old 02-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
It probably has everything to do with how the car was broken in. Should you drive it like hell from the start or baby it from the start? One way will set the rings and one won't. I've always driven my car "normal" from the start, that means, baby it, but sometimes stomp it, drive it at slow speeds and drive it at high speeds. You have to vary the conditions the car is going to encounter. It's worked for all my cars.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:54 AM
genik
5th Gear
hahah now i see your attorney point!!! well like i said iam no attorney, but im very angry with BMW/MINI because they made a model (which i love) but they managed to make some models inferior to others, yes im talking about oil burning. I feel like a fool for paying the same money as other R56 users but have more issues. This is a matter of production and quality consistence over the same model and i want to tell them thats its an issue for me, for a client... their client!
What BMW/MINI will do, its not for me to say, but they must know this bothers the community and it must be fixed one way or another. Its good and im happy for all those R56 users that don't have this issue, but guys what if this issue was happening for you?
I just want to say that this isn't just one of those issues that "oh well its a turbocharged engine, what did you expect, this happens to all?" well if this was the issue then ok, i would accept it, but having some folks (don't matter how many) not having this issue this will raise questions that need answering!

Old 02-04-2012, 10:57 AM
genik
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
It probably has everything to do with how the car was broken in. Should you drive it like hell from the start or baby it from the start? One way will set the rings and one won't. I've always driven my car "normal" from the start, that means, baby it, but sometimes stomp it, drive it at slow speeds and drive it at high speeds. You have to vary the conditions the car is going to encounter. It's worked for all my cars.
well if what you say works then BMW/MINI should give this guidance to all drivers so that they don't have issues with burning oil etc etc. but logically speaking and thinking im afraid thats not it!

Old 02-04-2012, 12:30 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
hahah now i see your attorney point!!! well like i said iam no attorney, but im very angry with BMW/MINI because they made a model (which i love) but they managed to make some models inferior to others, yes im talking about oil burning. I feel like a fool for paying the same money as other R56 users but have more issues. This is a matter of production and quality consistence over the same model and i want to tell them thats its an issue for me, for a client... their client!
What BMW/MINI will do, its not for me to say, but they must know this bothers the community and it must be fixed one way or another. Its good and im happy for all those R56 users that don't have this issue, but guys what if this issue was happening for you?
I just want to say that this isn't just one of those issues that "oh well its a turbocharged engine, what did you expect, this happens to all?" well if this was the issue then ok, i would accept it, but having some folks (don't matter how many) not having this issue this will raise questions that need answering!
That's a rather naive point of view, in my opinion. Staring a thread with the title "we must do something", and then not suggesting what it is you want done means nothing will be done except to stir up a lot unnecessary strum and drang. Posting threads such as this will do nothing to get BMW to make a change, especiallly since you can't tell them what change needs to be made. Is it truly the engine causing the problem or an ancilliary device? Could it be due to the PCV system, the turbo, poor sealing of the rings? What?

To me it's like standing in the middle of the room, stomping your foot and sucking your thumb - a waste of time and energy. If you really think your car has a problem that BMW/MINI should fix, maybe take it to an independant shop, have them tear it down and find out whats wrong, then put all that info in a letter and agree to testify in court to stand behind their words, then you have something. What, I don't know, but you have something....

If you're unhappy with your car, get rid of it. Every car is not the same, there are production difference, and tolerances. Buy a Ford, or a Honda....

If my car was burning too much oil for my tastes and the mfr said it was within tolerance, my choices would include keeping it and checking the oil periodically or getting rid of the car. Simple enough.....

Old 02-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 02-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Oh snap, **** is about to get all kinds of real up in hurr.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:36 PM
genik
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
That's a rather naive point of view, in my opinion. Staring a thread with the title "we must do something", and then not suggesting what it is you want done means nothing will be done except to stir up a lot unnecessary strum and drang. Posting threads such as this will do nothing to get BMW to make a change, especiallly since you can't tell them what change needs to be made. Is it truly the engine causing the problem or an ancilliary device? Could it be due to the PCV system, the turbo, poor sealing of the rings? What?

To me it's like standing in the middle of the room, stomping your foot and sucking your thumb - a waste of time and energy. If you really think your car has a problem that BMW/MINI should fix, maybe take it to an independant shop, have them tear it down and find out whats wrong, then put all that info in a letter and agree to testify in court to stand behind their words, then you have something. What, I don't know, but you have something....

If you're unhappy with your car, get rid of it. Every car is not the same, there are production difference, and tolerances. Buy a Ford, or a Honda....

If my car was burning too much oil for my tastes and the mfr said it was within tolerance, my choices would include keeping it and checking the oil periodically or getting rid of the car. Simple enough.....
who said that this is a reason to get rid of the car? and this car specifically. you don't get it, the point im trying to make is not to get rid of this car, but 1stly to find out why and in what magnitude
2ndly to let BMW know that there are many mini owners (even ones that don't have the issue) that don't like this inconsistence by a big company like BMW
Of course i will not find the answer to the issue that BMW is responsible for, but i will point out the magnitude (or not) of the issue and that only if you guys will post in the existence of the problem or the lack of it
Its as simple as that

i say lets finally start to defend our rights and the rights of felow MINI owners that have the issue even if we dont

Old 02-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Good luck with that...

Old 02-04-2012, 01:49 PM
genik
5th Gear
thanx Minibeagle
(great pic btw)

Old 02-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Spridget
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would think that the first thing you'd do would be to research all the other car brands on the market right now and note any issues that owners are having with oil consumption. And if, in doing so, you find that most other makes share the same variance in oil use as MINIs do, then just accept it and move on. It would be pointless to single out BMW/MINI if this is a common issue across the industry.

Spridget

Old 02-04-2012, 02:27 PM
genik
5th Gear
other brands? that would lead me nowhere especially if there are MINI folks that claim that their R56 doesn't burn any oil at all?

Old 02-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Well then it is not a problem for them.

Quick Reply: R56 we must do something...