R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 we must do something...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:02 PM
genik
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Porthos
Well then it is not a problem for them.
well thats exactly where your missing the point, we have to start thinking the "us" word and not "me" or "i".
Here is an example... say that you had a 15year old kid and your neighbor would also have a similar age kid, and his boy would get mixed up in drugs etc. wouldn't you be cautious or protest against drugs or would you just think n say that "well its not my problem!"
catch my drift? we must see the problem and face it together, its as simple as that the thats the only way we can get results, by being united.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:39 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, good luck with your crusade.....

Old 02-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by genik
well thats exactly where your missing the point, we have to start thinking the "us" word and not "me" or "i".
Here is an example... say that you had a 15year old kid and your neighbor would also have a similar age kid, and his boy would get mixed up in drugs etc. wouldn't you be cautious or protest against drugs or would you just think n say that "well its not my problem!"
catch my drift? we must see the problem and face it together, its as simple as that the thats the only way we can get results, by being united.
Dood get off the soap box. Look I am about the community but, sadly this is something that is going to go nowhere. They are not going to go magically fix this for lets say a conservative 15% of the cars. If it were say over 65% of the cars maybe it would benefit them to fix it, that is assuming this issue is causing BMW to lose money. Also before you continue your crusade to have it rectified you need to find out why it is burning oil. Most likely its the turbo heating it up and burning it off but, that is part of owning a turbo'ed vehicle. Also stated several times in this thread 1 qt for every 1k miles is within the manufacturer's guidelines. Heck like stated before many times in many threads the Prince engine does not have the greatest PCV system and does a lot of venting.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Every manufacturer will tell you their vehicle will use some oil, check your owner's manual: Mine says "The engine oil consumption is dependent on driving style and driving conditions". As vague as it sounds, that's all they have to say to cover their butt. It's black and white and there for all to see. It might or might not use oil, it depends on how you drive and it depends on what conditions you encounter.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 02-04-2012, 08:26 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@genik - you should change your name to Don Quixote. Both of you enjoy tilting at windmills.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:49 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Now, hang on there....

He believes in what he's trying to do, I admire that in anyone.

I also believe that there is nothing written on this forum that will ever convince BMW/MINI to do anything about anything on their cars, but.....

You all have seen the power of social media, look what happened just recently with the Komen foundation and Planned parenthood. Also AT&T when they were going to impose a bunch of new fees, and Netflix, and BofA and so on.

So don't count things like this out.

However in this case, the cars are clearly operating within the standards published by the MFR, they aren't going to do anything until they're wildly out of that standard, which isn't happening.

I believe in using the power of the media responsibly, and I think this particular effort is misfounded as the cars are within mfr's standards.....

Old 02-04-2012, 11:05 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The OP is certainly passionate about what he's doing and I agree that's an admirable thing. But the fact that MINI will never do anything about this and the fact that the cars are operating within specs is why he's tilting at windmills. That's all I was referring to.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:34 PM
genik
5th Gear
Thanx MINIdave for getting the point and guys... anything can happen if we are all together on this, no need to take action tomorrow, lets just talk about this so we find at least a possible reason why this is happening.
Where are the techs now when we need them? czar?

Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 PM
genik
5th Gear
Thanx MINIdave for getting the point and guys... anything can happen if we are all together on this, no need to take action tomorrow, lets just talk about this so we find at least a possible reason why this is happening.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:40 AM
czar
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by genik
I'm still here, I just don't know what you want from me, or even what you hope to achieve from this thread ?

BMW MINI have set out in their technical guidelines, that their maximum tolerance allowance, for engine oil consumption is 1 litre per 1000 miles driven
and as such written guidelines exist, then your onto a looser with your crusade fight, as stated before, you'll get absolutely nowhere, in convincing BMW MNI, that they should look into engine oil consumption.

If your particular BMW MINI is consuming more than the allowable, as set out by BMW MINI, then you should take this up with your dealer, as an individual case, and not a mass issue, as mentioned in previous posts, not all R56's burn oil, and so you won't find the common link, your hoping to find!

There are many many reason a particular engine, can consume oil, and not one single common linked issue:

Ring sealing.

Ring rotation.

Heat harmonic vibration.

Cylinder bore surface failure.

Cracked/broken ring/s

Cracked/broken piston/s

Wrong grade of oil.

Poor/bad gas, this contaminates the oil!

Gumming from carbon.

Excess carbon build up on the valves.

Valve guide/seal wear.

Excess cylinder pressures, from increased boost (tuning etc etc)

PCV failure.

The list just simply goes on and on.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:55 AM
genik
5th Gear
Originally Posted by czar
I'm still here, I just don't know what you want from me, or even what you hope to achieve from this thread ?

BMW MINI have set out in their technical guidelines, that their maximum tolerance allowance, for engine oil consumption is 1 litre per 1000 miles driven
and as such written guidelines exist, then your onto a looser with your crusade fight, as stated before, you'll get absolutely nowhere, in convincing BMW MNI, that they should look into engine oil consumption.

If your particular BMW MINI is consuming more than the allowable, as set out by BMW MINI, then you should take this up with your dealer, as an individual case, and not a mass issue, as mentioned in previous posts, not all R56's burn oil, and so you won't find the common link, your hoping to find!

There are many many reason a particular engine, can consume oil, and not one single common linked issue:

Ring sealing.

Ring rotation.

Heat harmonic vibration.

Cylinder bore surface failure.

Cracked/broken ring/s

Cracked/broken piston/s

Wrong grade of oil.

Poor/bad gas, this contaminates the oil!

Gumming from carbon.

Excess carbon build up on the valves.

Valve guide/seal wear.

Excess cylinder pressures, from increased boost (tuning etc etc)

PCV failure.

The list just simply goes on and on.
the list cannot go on and on, some have to be excluded and the ones to be excluded will be when we ask, what of all those stated can be different in a mini that burns oil and one that doesn't! do you catch my drift? for eg. "Poor/bad gas, this contaminates the oil" can be something that differs from one mini to another but pistons is something that doesnt change, if they are cracked there would be other problems right? so dont hurry in making fast generic assumptions on all the reasons cause some (with the little i know on techs) should be left out!

Old 02-05-2012, 02:21 AM
czar
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
As you clearly have no mechanical/engineering background or understanding, the list can go on and on, as you mention pistons, if they are cracked there would be other problems ? No is the answer, as no two engines are the same, even when freshly built, there is no two engines the same, and so as for cracked piston/s there will be no common link, components fail, for many many different reasons, maybe a bad batch during manufacture, maybe a fuelling issue, maybe a broken oil cooling injector, see what I am saying ?

You can look all you like, but you'll not find one common link, just reside yourself to the fact, that this is a fight you can't ever win, all your doing is frustrating yourself, and others on this forum, who have tried giving you advice.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:30 AM
MadisonKobalt
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YES, the weight of the oil does matter! The engine and parts are designed with a specific size of oil channels through out. Not using the correct weight/approved oils may result in 2 possibilities. Too light weight of an oil may not cling and remain in all areas sufficiently to provide lubrication. Too heavy and it may not flow through the channels to the required areas. Temperature does affect the viscosity of oils, so in colder climates the first number should be smaller to help initially lubricate when the engine is very cold. The final number is the strength weight of the oil when hot. So when hot, a 0w-30w acts the same as a 10w-30w; but when cold would not lubricate the engine properly. That said, a 0w-30w may have an actual weight property closer to a 5w-30, as is the case with the AutoZone purchased Castrol SynTech European formula. Whole discussion on Castrol oil under the name of CG, Castrol Green, Castrol German, European formula in North America on Bob is the Oil guy. Got oil questions? Ask them there for the ultimate answer.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Old 02-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Czar brings up a good point, my Jeep started using oil suddenly with no leaks, no smoke, no coolant contamination. It turned out the the PCV was bad, replaced the $2 part and all good to go. Just saying as many have stated, it could be anything causing oil use.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:57 PM
genik
5th Gear
Whats a PCV?

Old 02-05-2012, 01:00 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Positive Crankcase Ventilation

On our MINIs it is integral to the head cover.

Dave

Old 02-05-2012, 01:05 PM
genik
5th Gear
any pic to understand?

Old 02-05-2012, 02:08 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
No, I don't have any pictures. But, it is easy to see on 2010 and earlier, series 2 MINI Cooper S and JCW models.

There is a hose from the left rear of the head cover (as you are looking at the engine from the front of the car) it goes to the intake manifold. There is also a hose from the right side of the head cover that connects to the air inlet hose to the turbocharger.

When the intake manifold has a vacuum in it, crankcase fumes are drawn through the left rear PCV hose to the intake manifold. When the intake manifold is under pressure, as it is when there is boost from the turbocharger, the crankcase fumes are drawn into the turbocharger inlet.

The PCV valve in the MINI's valve cover lets the fumes into the intake manifold, when there is a vacuum and closes when the intake manifold is under pressure. It is bad for the crankcase to become pressurized, it will cause oil to leak past various gaskets and seals.

These crankcase fumes are made up of oil mist and gasses blown by the piston rings from the combustion chamber. It is an emission requirement that these fumes be directed back to the engine, so there is some oil consumed by the engine through the PCV system. On cars built before 1968 these fumes were vented to the atmosphere.

Dave

Old 02-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Old 02-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
So that little round black thing attached to the valve cover that has a hose going to it is the PCV. You should be able to replace it, can't be that much, $5 - $10...

Old 02-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Yup that's it.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:17 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
So that little round black thing attached to the valve cover that has a hose going to it is the PCV. You should be able to replace it, can't be that much, $5 - $10...
The PCV valve is part of the cylinder head cover. According to the RealOEM site, it costs $285.34

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...14&hg=11&fg=15

Dave

Old 02-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I know it is Wikipedia but this has info that you need for PCV
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankca...ilation_system

Quick Reply: R56 we must do something...