R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Dumb question about brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 03:26 PM
WillM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dumb question about brakes...

I have an 07 Cooper S and it is time to replace the brake pads. So here's the dumb question: is it a must to replace the rotors if there seems to be no problem with them? I bought some EBC pads and the sensors also. I was going to tackle the job this weekend but was told that I need to replace the rotors when changing pads. I guess I'm just an old fart and remember replacing many pads without changing rotors as long as there was not damage to them. Thanks for your help.
Will

Old 02-08-2012, 03:35 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
It's always a good rule of thumb to replace rotors with pads.
First, rotors have become a consumable (where they're a throw away item) as they are produced thin to specifications...
Second, they are case-harden and will rip apart tooling if turned down.

Thirdly, and probably most important, the new pad surface is considered smooth and flat.
The existing (used) rotor isn't as it has scoring ridges, hills, and valleys due to wear and the new pad won't make 100% contact with the rotor.
Plus, it's a serious safety item as you want your pads to grab instantly versus trying to compress around ridges and rotor protrusions.

Bottom line: grab new rotors; they are cheap.

- Erik

Old 02-08-2012, 03:38 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
I believe as long as the rotors aren't gouged, pitted, or scorched you should be ok. Some places won't change pads w/o replacing rotors but I really think alot of that is $$$$$$. There are still some places that will turn them as well.
I did change mine when time came but I also went with a better rotor and the EBC redstuff pads. Zimmerman cross drilled rotors.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:53 PM
WillM
2nd Gear
thanks for the help...looks like I'll stay on the safe side and order some rotors.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:55 PM
WillM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
I believe as long as the rotors aren't gouged, pitted, or scorched you should be ok. Some places won't change pads w/o replacing rotors but I really think alot of that is $$$$$$. There are still some places that will turn them as well.
I did change mine when time came but I also went with a better rotor and the EBC redstuff pads. Zimmerman cross drilled rotors.
Looks like you have an 07 S also. Where's the best place to get the zimmerman rotors (I have the EBC redstuff pads already). I've done a lot of wrenching in my lifetime, but not much on the MINI. Is this job real involved?
thanks again

Old 02-08-2012, 03:56 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
I agree, I think it'd be best that way you'll get the most out of your brakes.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:58 PM
WillM
2nd Gear
I agree, I think it'd be best that way you'll get the most out of your brakes.
I see you're in Alabama...I'm in Millbrook, just north of Montgomery.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:13 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WillM
I see you're in Alabama...I'm in Millbrook, just north of Montgomery.
I order most parts like this from www.WayMotorWorks.com
He's out of Atlanta. Shipping isn't too bad and he's quick.
You don't have to buy the drilled rotors either. The plain rotors are cheaper priced.

And yes, I'm way down by Gulf Shores and love it.
Belong to the Sunshine Mini Club (Fl. Panhandle group). Great bunch of folks.
In fact, this Sunday we're having a 'Cram the Ferry' rally. Meet, eat, ferry ride from Dauhin Isl. to Fort Morgan with about 30 Mini's. Looking forward to it.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ake_rotor.html
Here are rotors at a great price
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...e_pad_set.html
Here are pads at a great price too.

Just cross reference the parts # to the products homepage to make sure you are getting the right part.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:50 PM
WillM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ake_rotor.html
Here are rotors at a great price
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...e_pad_set.html
Here are pads at a great price too.

Just cross reference the parts # to the products homepage to make sure you are getting the right part.
thanks for the links

Old 02-08-2012, 08:29 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be ordering Akebono Euro Pads for Molly soon from TireRack, is PartsGeek.com a reliable online retailer for Zimmermann Rotors? I have not heard of them until now.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by WillM
Looks like you have an 07 S also. Where's the best place to get the zimmerman rotors (I have the EBC redstuff pads already). I've done a lot of wrenching in my lifetime, but not much on the MINI. Is this job real involved?
thanks again
Brakes on a mini are easy to change. I remove the 2 bolts holding the whole brake frame to the steering knuckle (on the front; and on the respective part on the rear) and lift the caliper off the rotor. The front only requires a c-clamp or brake piston compressor tool to push the piston back in place (check that you have room in the master cylinder reservior for the fluid...actually you may want to do a brake flush before doing any of this so you don't push old fluid back throught the system). For the rears, you will need to screw the piston back as that is part of the E-brake. The Harbor Freight tool is great for this.

The rotors are held on with a Torx screw which can be a little tricky if rusted. But otherwise these should come right off.

Do a search on this subject in the DIY forums; lots of good info there.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
I'll be ordering Akebono Euro Pads for Molly soon from TireRack, is PartsGeek.com a reliable online retailer for Zimmermann Rotors? I have not heard of them until now.
The parts are the same and I have not had a problem with them yet. Like I posted before make sure that you cross reference the part # with the website of the product you intend to buy so that you know you are getting the right part.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:10 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Anyway, the correct answer is it depends. The rotors have a minimum thickness stamped on the hub. As long as there is sufficient material, yes you CAN just change the pads.

Make sure you bed the pads to the rotors. That will take care of any scoring or valleys.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:01 AM
HiMac
1st Gear
Depending on the thickness of the rotors but a general rule of thumb was 2 sets of pads for 1 set of rotors.

It all depends on how you use your brakes.

For peace of mind you can always replace them for a little more $$$.

good luck!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
I ended up ordering Molly's Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads from TireRack and Zimmermann Brake Rotors from WMW today!! I called PartsGeek but got a recording and God Awful music, I was calling on my Lunch Hour and didn't have tim to wait, so I gave a fellow NAMer my business!!

OBC is showing 2600mi. for Front Brakes and with MINI Run Season fast approaching I wanted to be prepared!!

All getting installed @ MINI of Portland (their NEW Location) on February 20h, 4yrs. and 1 day from ordering my beloved MINI!! I am also going to have the Auto Tranny Fluid Flushed while she's there.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Most European vehicles come with softer rotors that wear with the brake pads, makes for great breaking power but more expensive when it's time to replace the pads and rotors. With most American and Japanese vehicles, the rotors are good for the life of the car and as long as they're not damaged they just get resurfaced each time you change the brakes. This makes for cheap brake jobs but not so good braking power.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:38 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Benibiker
Most European vehicles come with softer rotors that wear with the brake pads, makes for great breaking power but more expensive when it's time to replace the pads and rotors. With most American and Japanese vehicles, the rotors are good for the life of the car and as long as they're not damaged they just get resurfaced each time you change the brakes. This makes for cheap brake jobs but not so good braking power.
Kind of. I agree with the European thing but, the American cars still have a minimum thickness to them. See it all the time while I am at the base auto hobby shop watching my buddy resurface rotors. I have heard from multiple sources that you can't really safely resurface the MINIs rotors because they are already pretty thin to begin with and that one set of pads pretty much take care of a rotor.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:11 AM
gixxerjasen
4th Gear
And don't forget some American cars are retarded. My old Ford F150 being one of them. Don't think those front rotors are for the life of the truck. Not only do they warp under heavy usage (Think towing a lot) but the front wheel bearings are a part of the Rotor assembly and are non-serviceable. Need your bearings repacked? Sure, buy new rotors. Blah!

Old 02-10-2012, 06:20 AM
HiMac
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Kind of. I agree with the European thing but, the American cars still have a minimum thickness to them. See it all the time while I am at the base auto hobby shop watching my buddy resurface rotors. I have heard from multiple sources that you can't really safely resurface the MINIs rotors because they are already pretty thin to begin with and that one set of pads pretty much take care of a rotor.

My wife drives the 12 MCS but I drive an 08 STI and I get the slotted and drilled brake rotors and Ceramic Pads because they usually last longer. Try Getting ceramic if they have it for the mini.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by HiMac
My wife drives the 12 MCS but I drive an 08 STI and I get the slotted and drilled brake rotors and Ceramic Pads because they usually last longer. Try Getting ceramic if they have it for the mini.
Ceramic pads? I have some alrady(EBC redstuff) or rotors because I already have slotted rotors too(powerslot).

Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
They're here and ready to be installed on Monday!!

Old 02-16-2012, 06:06 AM
gixxerjasen
4th Gear
Where are your sensors? You did get new sensors, right?

Also, what are you waiting for? Get out there and install those bad boys! It's not hard, I promise!

Old 02-16-2012, 06:59 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
They're here and ready to be installed on Monday!!

I've got the Zimmerman cross drilled rotors and love 'em. I'm sure the smooth are just as good. What pads are you using? And again, you did get some new senors, didn't you?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:49 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen
Where are your sensors? You did get new sensors, right?

Also, what are you waiting for? Get out there and install those bad boys! It's not hard, I promise!
I've got the Zimmerman cross drilled rotors and love 'em. I'm sure the smooth are just as good. What pads are you using? And again, you did get some new senors, didn't you?
I'll make sure and have new sensors put on too!!

Quick Reply: R56 Dumb question about brakes...