R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Does anyone usually get random people trying to race you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:54 AM
darthhen
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't had anybody wanting to race. But even if they did, I would just ignore them. Public roads are not meant for racing?

Haven't you seen Back to the Future?

Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 AM
the matey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Porthos
Yes all the time. I try to stay out of these threads because of all the negative Nacys out there complaining about street racing. That is all.
agreed.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 AM
the matey
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
I never race on the highway, but I've had some friendly light-to-light races which don't involve dangerous speeds, just quick acceleration. I pulled up next to a foxbody 5L mustang with some highschool kid and his girlfriend in the passenger seat. I gave him the look and revved my engine. He laughed and smoked the tires blasting off the line, obviously destroying me. Caught up to him at the next red and we were both laughing. Exchanged friendly waves as he turned onto a side street.
Yeah that was kinda how it was, He was baiting me to race him, after 3 stop lights I just took off and was a little ahead of him the whole time we weren't going that fast but when we got to the next stop light he gave me a thumbs up and asked what year my cars was, then said his was a 2001 and took off.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:17 PM
pheatton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
As far as I'm concerned it's only "dumb" when it puts others lives at risk. Of course there is a very wide margin for the definition of "putting others lives at risk". I don't do it simply because I prefer racing that involves turning both left AND right. Drag just isn't my thing.

Everytime someone gets me at a stoplight and does the "wanna race" stare, etc. I give it back to them, revving the engine for good measure. When the light turns green I let them scream off while I just creep ahead as if it was just another stoplight during my daily commute. It's funny to watch.

Exactly what I do. So funny to see them get pulled.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:25 PM
P.S.S.
Neutral
I had a friend who was an undercover cop and would drive arround a tuned car and try to "race" people off the line. when the other person would run, he would stay back and turn he lights on and ticket them for exhibition driving and speeding. Know what you are racing.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:52 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by P.S.S.
I had a friend who was an undercover cop and would drive arround a tuned car and try to "race" people off the line. when the other person would run, he would stay back and turn he lights on and ticket them for exhibition driving and speeding. Know what you are racing.
Undercover traffic cop?

Old 03-19-2012, 04:14 PM
niquemarshall
4th Gear
Yea sometimes
Although the funny time was when the 2012 Raptor thought he had a chance

Old 03-19-2012, 04:38 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love everyone's stories and opinions on here! I USUALLY never street race but when I did that night it was only up to about 60MPH in a 50MPH zone and no one near in site. I wouldn't endanger others out on the road. Trust me I've had my share of past speeding tickets in my other cars, so I like to drive SUPER SLOW and let people check my ride out.

But I want to go to track racing, only problem is that I don't live anywhere near a close track. I'll eventually find one by this summer:-D.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Wouldn't that be entrapment?

Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have seen a few chargers and mustangs in my town who often get people for this type of thing.

Originally Posted by AustinS
Not really, the person had the choice to not race even if the cop revvs the engine etc. There were not really pressured into racing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrapment

Old 03-20-2012, 07:10 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Not very often in the mini

This is obviously going to get locked..... @ NAM

Last edited by drewstermalloy; 03-20-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
The number of times in the 7 months I've had my car is zero, which has surprised me since my car is all black with JCW aero and tuning kit.

I hope nobody takes it personally, but I think that most drivers who complain about others tailgating and wanting to race are victims of their own driving style. Their own aggressive driving invites that type of retaliatory behavior in many cases. Most jerks on the road are just looking for trouble, so if you don't entertain their stupidity, they will usually find someone else to pick on.

My driving doesn't encourage that kind of behavior from other drivers, and as a result I rarely see that kind of aggression. It's more about the driver than their car...
j

Old 03-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Cole9953
4th Gear
Had a guy in a really loud Miata try the other day, I wanted to but the conditions were all wrong.

he was an A$$
to many cars on the road
the wrong road (always tons of cops) and a 40mph limit
and i had my girl with me.

If the conditions are good I will race on the street, its pretty rare though, and usually no faster than 80 though.

used to do it allot in my truck back in the day. go to late night car meets and we would use a low traffic feeder road as a drag strip. good times then, also very stupid, so many things I have done that I would never do again.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:43 PM
skaufman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AustinS
something like that. idk here in Illinois cops have to have market squads.. just check out the plates and you will be fine.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:47 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Subzero
The number of times in the 7 months I've had my car is zero, which has surprised me since my car is all black with JCW aero and tuning kit.

I hope nobody takes it personally, but I think that most drivers who complain about others tailgating and wanting to race are victims of their own driving style. Their own aggressive driving invites that type of retaliatory behavior in many cases. Most jerks on the road are just looking for trouble, so if you don't entertain their stupidity, they will usually find someone else to pick on.

My driving doesn't encourage that kind of behavior from other drivers, and as a result I rarely see that kind of aggression. It's more about the driver than their car...
j
Not taking it personally, but I live in Texas, drive in the sticks, and I do so at +5 to 9 mph posted. Troopers will ignore you at those speeds, depending on road and conditions.
I don't tailgate. I pass swift and have them in my rearview before re-entering the lane. Half mile later, I have a hemorrhoid. I swear it is something about those twin center pipes. Just pisses them off.
Remember I said "in my rearview"? That is a safe distance issue. But it gives the real jerks time to do the other nasty. Accelerate during my pass. Yea, that works. 6th to 5th is plenty for most.
Funny thing. The accelerators are rarely the tailgaters. Hmmm?

Last edited by 4xAAA; 03-21-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Bunger
Neutral
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
...40 year old, virgin, decided to roar his engine and screech his tires at the light to race me...
How could you tell he was a virgin???

Seriously though, I haven't had a single person try and "race" me in the Mini... my STi on the other hand, that damn wing brings the wrong attention.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Timedwards
Neutral
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
I don't ever show up anyone because I'm too busy doing other things.
You should be busy driving..

It's funny that people were quick to point out the dangers of illegal racing! I'm a new MCS owner, but I've never been opposed to a quick dart to 'around' the speed limit when coming off of a light. It's nearly how I drive anyways, so there isn't much to add to the situation but the other car.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Tank251
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Subzero

j
I consider my driving assertive, not aggressive.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
People try to race me allllll the time, but that's not uncommon where I live; our main strip is 10 miles of stoplights about every quarter mile. I used to drag from redlights up to 60 (in a 55) then hit the brakes. I was very suprised with the kinds of cars the mini could really take on, it was a funny feeling showing up a 6.1 liter baby eater or a sportscar worth double the Mini. They never saw it coming.
...But then I destroyed my clutch from burning the tires into 2nd and 3rd gears (twice) and realized I actually cared about my car so I stopped hahah.

Oh, and it was always on a 'closed course with professional driver'

Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 PM
milesthng
2nd Gear
Lexus LS460 killed me that day ):

Old 03-26-2012, 07:52 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Over the weekend, some JAMF in an MCS or JCW Coupe (first one I've seen on the road) pulled up alongside me and was feathering the throttle like he wanted to run. I ignored him until he swooshed by, and only then realized what was stalking me. Awkward looking pup, that Coupe is.

The fool was toying with my M Coupe. Unless he had one beast of a modified motor in that thing (doubtful, it was brand new), then he should be glad that I don't get baited into street contests. He would have had his doors blown cleanly off.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:52 PM
BoostedPanda87
Neutral
I just bought my MCS a couple weeks ago and I'm already seeing this kind of attitude towards our cars. In my area though, I think it's just cause they look down on it because it's a small car and not big hp numbers. But I just ignore most of them, unless they become jerks. Plus, not really worth wasting the gas on a straight away. Now if you bring it to the twisties, then it's on like Donkey Kong!

Old 03-28-2012, 04:57 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Rather than street race I have fun with folks who like to tailgate and then draw them into corners. I might lift off the gas but don't break and then gently apply power back through the curve. It gets them every time. Moms in their bloated SUVs trying to cut everyone off to get to dance or soccer and guys in their trucks who think they are sports cars...these are the most fun.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Okay I said I stay away from these threads earlier but, this one just happened the other night. I was going down a neighborhood street(double yellow line, houses on bothsides, and speed limit of 30mph) and this **** head in an Accord that was not modified was riding so close that I could not even see his headlights at night. Well I guess 30 was too slow for him becuase he tried passing me which I returned with a big fat "no" and dropped it into second gear and smoked him. We came up to a stop sign shortly after that and that is when things got heated. I will leave it at that but, I am on the look out for a white Accord in our neighborhood right now.

***Edit*** If I was in my 93 BMW 525iT I would have jammed on the brakes so I could have got rid of the BMW.

Last edited by Porthos; 03-28-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:17 AM
niquemarshall
4th Gear
Haha sh.t got REAL

Quick Reply: R56 Does anyone usually get random people trying to race you?