R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Does anyone usually get random people trying to race you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 12:46 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does anyone usually get random people trying to race you?

Okay so I am driving to my girlfriend's house as I am at a red light and on the phone with a bud of mine. And this 40 year old, virgin, decided to roar his engine and screech his tires at the light to race me. I was too busy and didn't have time for his Lincoln MKZ, haha. Sorry, if anyone does own that car I just can't take it serious. But I let him drive doing his thing at probably 60-70 mph. I eventually get him at ANOTHER red light this time again he continues his nonsense haha. I let him get off the line maybe by 15-20 feet then I gun it and catch up easily and zoom by him. I was laughing because he then never tried to catch up or even try it again he just stayed behind me.

But okay the real question I have for people is, do you guys always get that one fool who tries to pull up next to you thinking that our MINI's aren't a serious car to go up against? I don't ever show up anyone because I'm too busy doing other things. Just want to know if others always encounter this. Gives us something to talk about.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:34 AM
grgramps
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
But okay the real question I have for people is, do you guys always get that one fool who tries to pull up next to you thinking that our MINI's aren't a serious car to go up against? I don't ever show up anyone because I'm too busy doing other things. Just want to know if others always encounter this. Gives us something to talk about.
One fool does not make a race. It takes two fools to make a race on public roads.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:11 AM
JimR56JCW
3rd Gear
When I had a 2007 MCS with Accessport tune, I was always looking for a possible victim. I did not care what the other guy had, I just gave it my best.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:15 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Nope, but I don't have fancy bulbs and dark glass, either. I've found that any alterations (even non-performance ones) tend to attract that kind of attention. Best thing you can do in these cases is to ignore them, as grgramps probably would agree.

And we MINI owners should know better than to knock the car choices of others, since we are a pretty maligned group ourselves. If you don't think so, then your group isn't stand up enough to say it to your face. Funny thing is that one ride is all it takes to change the opinions of a lot of them.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:11 AM
christomapher
4th Gear
I won't bash anybody for the car they drive or for the fact that they want to race... they are just having fun.

What's funny to me is the last two people who tried to race me were girls! One with an R32 Golf and another with a 328ci! Okay, so they weren't the fastest contenders but it sure was fun to actually be in front of someone.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:49 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ibtl

Old 03-17-2012, 11:29 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It happens to me once in a while. Having a license plate that says "TRBOMAN" doesn't help. I never bite though. It's a great way to get your license taken away. I'll let that happen to the other guy. After I got a couple of speeding tickets in my MINI i've learned to focus on HPDE days instead of taking the risk. Much more fun and rewarding.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:31 AM
proximo
3rd Gear
The only guy who tried racing me while I was driving the MCS was a guy in a newer Ford Fusion. What was stupid, he was trying to prevent me from merging safely into traffic. I backed off to merge. I generally have more people trying to race me when I drive my Challenger. If someone pulls up next to me and wants to street race, I roll down my window and say, "I don't race on public streets, but if you really want to test yours against mine, I will be at (whatever racetrack on whatever next day and time). You're welcome to race me there." I've only had one person accept the race.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:37 AM
pew1375
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I always have people trying to race me. While my MINI might be able to take them, I feel the guy behind the wheel, me, is not a race car driver. I don't want to get in a wreck, because I'm doing something stupid.
Having said that, the only time I've ever challenged another car, it turned out to be a Corvette Z06!! The only reason I raced it, was because I knew the Vette would blow me away! That thing SMOKED my MINI!!

Old 03-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Kfriceman
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
"Does anyone usually get random people trying to race you?"

No.

-Kevin

Old 03-17-2012, 04:44 PM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I notice it happens more because of all my mods. If I am feeling it and the challenge is a reasonable match I do it. Is it "dumb"... maybe...but if I cared what anyone thought I would not have posted.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:38 PM
repeater8
1st Gear
When I had my S4, it was usually idiots in Mustangs and LT1 camaros that would try to screw with me. It never ended well. If it happened on the highway it really never ended well...I've driven a lot of cars but 28PSI in 4th gear in my S4 pulled like a freight train that I've never been able to replicate in any other car I've owned, and very few I've driven.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:51 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
As far as I'm concerned it's only "dumb" when it puts others lives at risk. Of course there is a very wide margin for the definition of "putting others lives at risk". I don't do it simply because I prefer racing that involves turning both left AND right. Drag just isn't my thing.

Everytime someone gets me at a stoplight and does the "wanna race" stare, etc. I give it back to them, revving the engine for good measure. When the light turns green I let them scream off while I just creep ahead as if it was just another stoplight during my daily commute. It's funny to watch.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:40 AM
DARK CHILI
2nd Gear
If nobody is around, let the poor guy have some fun! Just the other day I embarrassed a guy in a mid 90's Eclass AMG (with no one else around).

Old 03-18-2012, 07:03 AM
Meister
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not really yet. I've only had my MINI for about 6 weeks though. But in my M3, yes. There have been a lot of people wanting to challenge that car. I try not to give in to the temptation.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:23 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DARK CHILI
If nobody is around, let the poor guy have some fun! Just the other day I embarrassed a guy in a mid 90's Eclass AMG (with no one else around).
3 Cheers to you!! Smoking any guy in a Merc makes baby Jesus smile! I had these two guys probably around my age, early/mid 40's staring me down. They were two lanes over and prepping to get on the expswy. I happened to look over (why I don't know, I never pay attention to Merc's) to see them laughing at what I can only assume was my car. I couldn't race them so I just pointed back at them and laughed. They quit smiling and drove on.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:22 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 313 Likes on 236 Posts

then there was the day where six immaculate new Camaros turned up, all breathing fire and shiny in the sun...

or the Maserati! That got "best sound" award in my view...

but hey - I'll race anyone that shows up, I'm not picky...

even the Cadillac Hearse that used to run with us - haven't seen him for a few years...

of course there really aren't many cars that can run with a well set up Mini on an autocross course...

on the humble side - I have had my *ss handed to me by a 1989 Civic! Now that's a weapon of terror in the right hands, zipping among the cones...

And at the considerable risk of preaching to the choir, y'all better switch to telling track stories or this thread is going to be locked up tighter than a bulls backside in fly season!

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 03-18-2012, 03:06 PM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Its almost a daily event here with people trying to race me, I never bite, however when I do get the nut job on the highway tailgating me as I go on to an off ramp, I go all out, and when I see the look of terror in there eyes as they try to slow down and make the curve, I say lesson learned. No offense to any of you younger drivers, but some actually go looking for trouble and forget some of us older guys actually do know how to drive, and to be honest the kids in the honda's seem to be the worst offenders, I have complete respect for everyone on the road, I always have, and yes even when I was young, but if you tail gate me, cut me off or play chicken with me on the road you will be in for a suprise i assure you.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:36 PM
the matey
4th Gear
I had a ferrari try and race me today.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:50 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by the matey
I had a ferrari try and race me today.
I never race on the highway, but I've had some friendly light-to-light races which don't involve dangerous speeds, just quick acceleration. I pulled up next to a foxbody 5L mustang with some highschool kid and his girlfriend in the passenger seat. I gave him the look and revved my engine. He laughed and smoked the tires blasting off the line, obviously destroying me. Caught up to him at the next red and we were both laughing. Exchanged friendly waves as he turned onto a side street.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes all the time. I try to stay out of these threads because of all the negative Nacys out there complaining about street racing. That is all.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:07 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I used to street race all the time. $20 light to light and road racing in the mountains. If I didn't get a ticket a year, there was something wrong!

I don't so much anymore, but every once in a while...

Dave

Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 PM
skaufman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Yes all the time. I try to stay out of these threads because of all the negative Nacys out there complaining about street racing. That is all.
I second that... here is my 5 cents though, Im young and stupid so isnt it required for me to give in?

my favorite though is the Evo IX and the STI I see all the time on my rout in the morning. They see the mini and they try and race me off every light and I get smoked because I havent had my mini long enough to bust open the hood... but it really just takes one thing... I just borrow my dads ZR1 the following day and when I meet them at a stop light they about wet themselves when they realize its the kid in the mini. the first light I met them at I think they just wanted to see the car go so I gave them some entertainment. (I enjoyed it quite a bit myself I have to admit) From now on they dont give me crap when im in my mini. because they know ill put godzilla on them.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:02 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
Doesn't matter if it is on the track or the street no one likes getting passed by the MINI. It is just amazing how mad people get. I am usually not giving them a second thought as I work by in heavy traffic. I know the traffic patterns on my trip to Seattle and no one is passing me unless they have a clear carpole lane. I will have just breezed past and you see them making stupid lane changes in a lame attempt to show me what actaully? I am really not sure. At the trackis usually flag city as the corner works love flagging high HP cars that are clearly holding the MINI up in the corners. True I can not get by on the straights if they do not lift for me. But if they do they fade in the mirror pretty fast. I have a loud Maserati GT and driven in the same style I get thumbs up, smiles and a few cars that just want to try and hang but always give you plenty of room. Way more respect because they expect you to blow their doors off when you hit the loud pedal. When the MINI blows past and they hit they gas and continue to lose ground they are not happy with there ride. Mustangs tend to be my most common victim.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
I don't race, I just drive fast (Not insane just faster than posted limits). I always drive fast and I have a collection of tickets to prove it. Over 20 tickets in 32+ years.

What I see is mostly other drivers just seem to not want me to pass them or merge in front of them. The same story before my MINI when I was driving my 07 Accent. When I do pass they speed up and either race ahead of me or get right on my butt. I have no clue why. If you want to drive fast, drive fast. If you don't then don't. Don't get ticked if you get passed if driving slow.

The way I see it is, drive how you want. Accept the consequences and go on.

Quick Reply: R56 Does anyone usually get random people trying to race you?