R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 New 2011 MCS for $4k off, or New 2012 JCW @ Cost

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:18 PM
ModernMini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2011 MCS for $4k off, or New 2012 JCW @ Cost

Hello all!

I'm going to be purchasing a MINI in the next few weeks, and have a few questions. The dealership near me has a 2011 MCS that I can get for $4k off MSRP. They also have JCW Hardtop that I like, but there is no cash off with that one (dealer thought maybe $500 if it sways me).

I can't decide which route to go, but out of curiosity, I had them price out the 2011 with the JCW Aero Kit (painted sides), and JCW Tuning Kit (installed). It came out to be just over $30k (original MCS price was $27,400). The problem is, the feedback on the JCW Tuning Kit is limited, but most seem happy with it. However, let's be honest, it's not a JCW...

So, what's everyone's opinion with my situation? Which route would you take? I can afford to get a JCW, but I'm not sure if I can really justify it. The MCS seems like the mature responsible choice, but I love the JCW's. Plus, I see Justa's, I see MCS's, but I NEVER see JCW's... I like to be different.

Thanks for the help ahead of time!

Billy

Old 03-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Fische
1st Gear
JCW. if I could afford it I would.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:27 PM
MiniJay113
Neutral
So be different and buy the JCW. It's always gonna bother you that you didn't if you get the MCS.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:38 PM
miss_chiff
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How long do you plan to keep it? Long time?...I say get the 2012 JCW. After all, you love it.
Yes, the 2011 is 4$ off, but it is also a 2011, and would be considered a year out already, especially if you decide to sell it sooner than later.
Being practical is good, yet, sometimes it's nice to reward yourself.
Good luck deciding. Always easier spending other peoples money!

Old 03-26-2012, 05:49 PM
ModernMini
1st Gear
For starters, getting a notification sent to my email that someone replied to my post is awesome! It beats checking back every few hours, haha.

I think you all said exactly what I was thinking I just wanted confirmation from some Mini owners.

MiniJay113 - That's my major concern. If I buy the JCW, I'll have nothing to regret; as long as all goes well with ownership.

Miss Chiff - You made some great points! It is already a year older, and this does kind of stink knowing I'm buying a new car that is outdated. I do plan on keeping the car for a long time (minimum of 5 years, hopefully longer).

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm loving this forum so far. After belonging to mazdaspeedforums and mr2oc recently, it's nice reading things from people who love their cars, and more importantly, know what they are talking about!

Billy

Old 03-27-2012, 08:02 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most already made points I intended to.

If you're wanting a JCW, choose it! And then you won't later "wish you had".

Either would bring much joy, of course!

Old 03-27-2012, 09:55 AM
ModernMini
1st Gear
Well, it appears MINI no longer offers Horizon Blue Metallic or Laser Blue; Laser Blue being my favorite, Horizon a very close second. Now that I know that, I think I'll proceed with the MCS since it's apparently one of the last "new" Horizon Blues left.

I'm sure the MCS with JCW tuning kit will offer plenty of fun, and the aero kit will give me a different look as well. My MR2's auction doesn't end for a couple more days, and I'll have to wait for the funds before I proceed with my MINI purchase. So I guess I still have time to change my mind a few times...

Old 03-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Stevoman
1st Gear
You will be kicking yourself 6 months down the road if you don't buy the JCW. I know I did.

Do bear in mind that there is more to the Factory JCW model than just the JCW Tuning kit.

My 2011 JCW is positively the best and most fun car I have ever driven. Words cannot do that car justice, make certain you test drive everything before you buy.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:35 AM
ModernMini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Stevoman
You will be kicking yourself 6 months down the road if you don't buy the JCW. I know I did.

Do bear in mind that there is more to the JCW model than just the JCW Tuning kit.

My 2011 JCW is positively the best and most fun car I have ever driven. Words cannot do that car justice, make certain you test drive everything before you buy.
Yeah, I've seen very few JCW owners that regretted their purchase, but I've heard plenty MCS owners say that they should have gone with the JCW.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:20 PM
rans09vert
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought a new 2012 JCW hardtop at 2000.00 under sticker. I went from a 2009 MCS conv with JCW tuning kit. Get the JCW! No comparison! I loved my conv but this car is in another league!

Old 03-27-2012, 07:26 PM
jibber11
4th Gear
Every time you seen a JCW, which is very rare you would kick yourself

Old 03-27-2012, 07:33 PM
ModernMini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jibber11
Every time you seen a JCW, which is very rare you would kick yourself
I know you're right... I'm going to have to find a hardtop nearby. My dealer only has Coupes; not for me. No offense to anyone that owns one.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:47 PM
BoostMe
2nd Gear
My wife as the 09 MCS and I have the 09 JCW hardtop, both have Nav, cold, premium packages which is rare in Mini's in general, there is a huge difference in handling power, braking is a whole new animal, the JCW is so much fun in traffic you will never regret it, what an awesome car!!! Color is important as long as its not pink I'm good, hahaha!!!
Engine sound is something the S is lacking but money can fix that too as can the power, yet in the end you will pay More for that S if you want a JCW cause you'll build til it's faster than a stocker and get owned by the modded JCW when you do, just smile!!!

Old 03-28-2012, 07:44 AM
Stevoman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ModernMini
I know you're right... I'm going to have to find a hardtop nearby. My dealer only has Coupes; not for me. No offense to anyone that owns one.
I drove almost 200 miles to get mine. Totally worth it.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 AM
highlander709
4th Gear
If your heart says JCW, I think if you do some shopping and negotiating you can order a new JCW the way you want it and get it with decent discount off MSRP, at least $1K if not more. The dealer is limiting your JCW discount to help push you more toward the 2011 MCS he wants off his lot.

Of course, $4K is nothing to sneeze at and if you are planning to keep it for 5 years or more the fact that it is a one year old car the moment you drive it off the lot becomes less significant from a depreciation standpoint.

There are lots of days when I wish I had purchased a JCW instead of MCS, but I have to say I love my MCS. I think if I were in your position, if the MCS were anything close to what I would have ordered, given the opportunity to do so, my heart would say save the money and get the MCS, because and equal MCS is already about $6K less than the JCW, plus the additional $4K discount - I don't know about you, but $10K is a lot of green in my house.

Best of luck with your decision making. You can't go wrong either way.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Money aside, IMO it's how important to YOU the extra acceleration power of the JCW is. And braking too, but that's less important to most people. I'd drive them both and not just around the block either. The fact that the hatch is a 2011 isn't that big a deal because you get that back with the $4k discount, and the car is the same as a 2012. Sounds like color is important to you too so consider that (but there are lots of blues even now). Personally I wouldn't mess with the tuning kit, but I would mess with the aero kit.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:51 AM
gblazei
1st Gear
I have a 2011 MCS with upgraded JCW tune, I have had the car for 6 months and love it.

However I kick myself everyday for not spending a little more to get a full blown JCW.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:01 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ModernMini
Yeah, I've seen very few JCW owners that regretted their purchase, but I've heard plenty MCS owners say that they should have gone with the JCW.

How are the roads in your neck of the woods - a JCW is a firm ride.....

Sure a JCW stands out amoung MINI's - But any MINI on the road stands out from traffic. Every MINI is unique, no 2 are alike.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:49 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by MCS Fever
How are the roads in your neck of the woods - a JCW is a firm ride.....

Sure a JCW stands out amoung MINI's - But any MINI on the road stands out from traffic. Every MINI is unique, no 2 are alike.

The JCW comes with the same suspension as the other Minis. Maybe not the same tires, but the same suspension. Most of what people feel in the suspension is the runflat tires, the bigger the wheel the stiffer the feel.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 PM
muzak
4th Gear
Get the JCW if you can afford it. As others have stated, you will regret it and there is a little more to it than the tuning kit. Bigger turbo, brakes are out of this world, stronger internals ie pistons and block. It's also reported that when Dyno'd the stock JCW is putting out the advertised numbers to the wheels. So you are looking at about 220 crank hp. You'll be able to keep up with the Mustang GT's, etc, in the JCW and the surprised look on their faces is priceless.

To me, color isn't that important either, but I can see why it's a deal-breaker for some. I had an S before my JCW. I always wished I had a JCW and took a huge loss on my S to get one.

Last edited by muzak; 03-28-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:20 PM
jibber11
4th Gear
Well I can tell you when I bought my JCW I have 4 dealers within range of my house and not a single one negotiates on JCW's..I did however get a small discount on mine because it was our 3rd MINI from that dealer.

The others flat out said they don't deal on JCW's.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:55 PM
ModernMini
1st Gear
I appreciate everyone's feedback! I'm still not sure what I'll choose, but I have a week or two before I need to decide. Thanks again!

Billy

Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Syco R53
3rd Gear
A strong set of brakes is always appreciated! Go JCW!

Old 03-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Ords
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jibber11
Well I can tell you when I bought my JCW I have 4 dealers within range of my house and not a single one negotiates on JCW's..I did however get a small discount on mine because it was our 3rd MINI from that dealer.

The others flat out said they don't deal on JCW's.
I don't know about you, but I got mine for under $30. This is a factory stock JCW with a few goodies in it. Almost $5k off is what I got. It's all about timing, how long its been sitting and how much they want the sale.

The worst they can say is no and you move on until someone says, lets make a deal.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Minisnow
1st Gear
hello, what dealer is offering 4k off sticker?

Quick Reply: R56 New 2011 MCS for $4k off, or New 2012 JCW @ Cost