R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mysterious Cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:50 PM
TheEggO
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mysterious Cable

Hello! I just bought a 2010 Mini Cooper and it’s my first one, so everything is pretty much new to me.
The car was pre-owned and there are some things that I’d like to take off that the previous owner had added and I was looking for some help.

First off, there is a cable coming from the inside of the headliner. It hangs right next to the mirror and looks like those internet cable I have at home. I haven’t really explored it or tried pulling at it. I’m afraid I might damage something.

Does anyone know what this cable is for and if it’s a part of the car? Also, was it additional to something that the previous owner may have had and can I remove it?

It really bothers me and I’d like to remove it. If someone can guide me on how to do this, that would be great! I’m pretty sure it will come out with me just pulling at it, but I want to be sure.

Secondly, the car has an XM radio console that the previous owner had also “installed.” I don’t see any cables coming from the unit to the headliner, so I didn’t know if either of these two things are connected.

Please see the attached pictures for reference.

I’d appreciate any help! Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Mysterious Cable-photo.jpg   Mysterious Cable-photo-1.jpg  
Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 PM
murdoc
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only thing I can think of is maybe a Sat Nav system that they had connected in. I also have a '10 (mine is an MC) but I have no wires or anything like that in the headliner. As for help, I wish I could, but I am fairly new to these fun cars myself.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:39 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TheEggO
Hello! I just bought a 2010 Mini Cooper and it’s my first one, so everything is pretty much new to me.
The car was pre-owned and there are some things that I’d like to take off that the previous owner had added and I was looking for some help.

First off, there is a cable coming from the inside of the headliner. It hangs right next to the mirror and looks like those internet cable I have at home. I haven’t really explored it or tried pulling at it. I’m afraid I might damage something.

Does anyone know what this cable is for and if it’s a part of the car? Also, was it additional to something that the previous owner may have had and can I remove it?
99% chance it is for a Radar Detector. This is a a very common location for one and that is a common power etc cable for many of the higher end units these days.

Also none of the OEM cables have that type of end on them.

Just stuff it back up under the head liner and dont worry about it.

It really bothers me and I’d like to remove it. If someone can guide me on how to do this, that would be great! I’m pretty sure it will come out with me just pulling at it, but I want to be sure.
see above comments

Secondly, the car has an XM radio console that the previous owner had also “installed.” I don’t see any cables coming from the unit to the headliner, so I didn’t know if either of these two things are connected.
looks like a very clean install of the XM and I would bet all the wiring is well hidden behind the Dash Panels.

Seriously doubt that the XM and the wire above the mirror are connected as the XM does not use that type of cable for power or antenna connections.

The XM probably uses the OEM Sat Antenna in the roof and connects to the Sat Rcvr cable down under the passenger seat.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:50 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
+1 on radar detector power cord.

Dave

Old 03-27-2012, 01:51 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It is the Valentine1 power cord, a phone RJ11 plug. That's exactly where mine is.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:26 PM
SOCALGUY2007MCS
1st Gear
Also by looking at that. The ScanGuage II also uses that cord. Is there anything plugged into the OBDII port or a cord near there as well?

Old 03-30-2012, 07:01 AM
TheEggO
1st Gear
Yesterday, I removed the XM radio. It had nothing to do with the "cable"
I'm pretty sure you guys are right about the radar detector. Having the cable just hanging there makes me want to put it to use.
Can you guys recommend a good radar detector unit that will fit that cable?
Thanks for the help.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:02 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
V1! Pricey but good.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:20 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 AM
drewstermalloy