R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Any Porsche or Subaru STI owners here ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 07:13 PM
caprisun
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Porsche or Subaru STI owners here ?

I know in terms of price, the Porsche is much higher cost compared to the mini cooper s.
Has anyone here owned either a Porsche 993, 997,911 non turbo & compared it to the Cooper S ?
Is the Cooper S just as fun or exciting as driving the Porsche ?
can it be safely said, that the Cooper S is a poor man's Porsche ?
How about the Subaru STI ?
Would be great to hear insights on owners who had subarus, porsche & minis and how these cars compare.

Thanks.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:56 PM
asujosh1
1st Gear
I had an 08 STI hatch and loved it. When I first bought the Mini all I could think of was the STI and how much more amazing the rush of acceleration was with 350HP/375TQ. After taking the Mini S I bought to an autocross, that's all changed now. The Mini is so much fun to drive and just toss around, I'm glad I have the Mini.

I WILL get another STI though..

Old 04-07-2012, 10:35 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Porsche repair is expensive

I had a boxster - they are great to drive - but the interior is not as refined in the older models - Mini's have great seats and are comfortable - Mini's are more fun to drive too

Old 04-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
My wife has a 1982 911SC. Has pretty much the same power as a Cooper S (180 HP), weighs about the same. Engine and drive wheels are at the other end of the car, though.

The driving experience is quite different from my Justa. Raw and connected to the road even more than my MINI with the sport suspension. It also feels more solid in many ways--especially applying the throttle coming out of a turn.

The 911 writes you long, detailed love-notes about what is going on at each contact patch. The MINI communicates with you, but is not as eloquent about it. The non-power steering of the 911 is much better to me than the over-boosted and slightly numb feeling of the Cooper. The Cooper rides better, except on roads with creases across them, where it tends to "porpoise".

Newer 911s are heavier, more powerful, and more comfortable. The newest ones (the "991" chassis) have electric power steering, like the MINI does. I may be able to scam a drive in one in the next year or so, and it will be interesting to see how the steering compares to the MINI's.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do yourself a favor and go test drive one. All 3 of the cars you mentioned drive completely different. I don't see anything comparable about any of them besides "fun factor". MINI is FWD, Non-Turbo C2 or C2s is RWD, STI is AWD. You are asking for experience with Porsches, unfortunately I have a 996TT which doesn't fall under what you asked for. This car is a rocket but a very distinct driving experience to my MINI. My 996TT has gone through lots of different phases of modding so it may be hard for me to remember how it was like stock. The last time I drove a 996 Carrera I felt so unsatisfied. Give me a MINI Cooper S over it any day of the week. Then maybe an STI after that. 997 Carrera is definitely better in every way to a 996 Carrera.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:39 AM
caprisun
2nd Gear
I've actually driven the STI, Cooper S, Cooper (non-s). Porsche-not recently but the 964 automatic (briefly).
The STI is too fast for me-way too fast & too raw for me... Cooper S automatic is very nice R56. I;ve also tried the manual R54 which is also nice.
I've driven these cars in short runs (less than 5 kilometers-- mostly in traffic) so its rather difficult to assess them carefully.
But, my heart is really in love w/ the Minis. I like the way they look. I like their solid ride and the retro dials. Power is good enough for me & the mileage is great!

But based on my readings, it seems that the fun factor of the mini is something else!!!
Reason i asked in this forum is because some of you might have had all three cars at some point & long term experience is definitely more "better" than my short term drive with these cars.
Hoping some more could chime in.
But for now, i'm more or less set on the Mini, 2nded by the STI (although quite unlikely).
Only some apprehension about getting the mini are: reliability issues, no dealer or service in my area, the price of a mini in my country is way way too high.
Subaru on the other hand has its dealer next to my subdivision.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:05 AM
archdukeferdinand
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
997: Feels like driving a handgun. Clinical and precise. Very communicative, very fast, very responsive (Probably the most cliched review ever). Feels very special to sit in too. Honestly, price aside, it would be my pick if I wanted a toy car. As a daily... might be a bit much, mainly from a practicality standpoint.

STi: Both generations are stupid powerful, adds 20mph on the highway without you noticing. Absolutely flies out of corners, but isn't always a huge fan of going into them, particularly true for the 2nd gen cars. Interior isn't great except for the seats. Whips the 997 on usability but the gas mileage is probably close. I used to love the looks but if I had one now I'd have to de-wing it.

Mini: Slower but much more tossable that either car. Simply loves to turn. Without a LSD can't put its (meager) power down to save its life. They feel quick, but (flamesuit on) aren't nearly as fast as your other options. Back to the handling though, to quote a national champ soloist (and current Corvette owner) in the region "they do things that lil shitbox front drivers have no business doing." From a daily standpoint, rivals the 2nd gen STi in practicality, and kills both on gas mileage.

Like everyone is saying, they are 3 very different cars, and different ones will be better depending on what you are looking to do with them.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:34 AM
SoCal MCS
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 06 Mercedes SLK55 AMG Black Series along with my 08 MCS. The SLK should be classified as a lethal weapon as it is shear power and performance and was developed on the Nurnburg ring and it shows. But it's my Friday/weekend car and the MCS is my everyday car.....and every Monday it still puts a smile on my face....I just love it!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:46 AM
gblazei
1st Gear
I have had all three cars, best bang for the buck and all around daily driver, you can not beet the MCS. The car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

However that said, if you have the coin for either of the other two cars, get a JCW instead of a MCS. I bought the MCS and have been kicking myself in the butt since for not upgrading to the JCW.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:49 PM
caprisun
2nd Gear
Thanks guys, looks like the Mini S or the JCW is the fave....
Yeah, that's really the car I want.
Its nice to have owners of various hi end exotics compare their precious cars to the little mini and still have so much satisfaction driving the mini. That's always a good thing.
I wish the used Mini here in my country were as cheap in the US. Unfortunately, they are not. A 2002 MCS would roughly still be $25,000 up !
A new mini S is roughly $60,000-$70,000 depending on options. So i still have a ways of saving up for a new one.
Thanks again guys!!! been of great help!

Old 04-08-2012, 06:23 PM
asujosh1
1st Gear
The real question is: is it more fun to drive a fast car slow or a slow car fast?

Old 04-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
You do realize you'd probably get different answers if you asked on a Scooby or Porsche forum, right?

Old 04-09-2012, 05:46 AM
caprisun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
You do realize you'd probably get different answers if you asked on a Scooby or Porsche forum, right?

Yes, agree on this thats why on this matter, best to ask someone who has driven all three & have had some experience on these 3 different cars.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:39 AM
ARCooperS
1st Gear
I acutally sold my Subaru WRX and picked up a Mini Cooper S. I had a 2011 WRX but was never completely satisfied. It lacked pretty much everything besides fun factor. I also had Cobb Stage 1 on the car. With it, it felt much faster then the Mini S, however if you took it out and drove in stock mode, it felt quicker than the Mini, but due to the added weight, it just honestly was not as fun as the Mini. I picked the Mini up about two days ago and I can honestly say I don't want to do anything but drive it.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Dino V
1st Gear
Hi there,

I actually have all 3:
2011 Mini Cooper S, 2004 Porsche Boxster S, and 2006 Subaru STi.

Obviously, hands down any Porsche is an amazing vehicle. The gearing, motor, transmission, brakes and just about everything is refined. Maintenance is more but you get your money's worth.
The Subaru STi for a 4 door vehicle is just wicked. I've owned various tuners (Mazdaspeed6, 350Z, etc) and the STi takes the cake. It's fast stock, and stupid fast when you start modding it. It's hard to get excited with acceleration in any other car after driving it. IMHO, the subies also have some of the nicest sounding aftermarket exhausts with a very distinct tone (the fish under water sound LOL). I drive the STi the way it is meant to be driven and have not had any issues with anything. But gas mileage is bad.
MCS is a great daily driver, not the fastest car but quick enough for everyday. And on top of that, you get great gas mileage.
If you're looking for bang for the buck power, then the STi is the way to go.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:28 PM
aklucsarits
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I own a Mitsubishi Evolution IX and a Honda S2000, and the MINI Cooper S is just as much fun to drive as either of those. (Although on a nice sunny spring day, I'd rather be driving the S2000 with the top down. )

Old 04-10-2012, 07:40 PM
BoostMe
2nd Gear
The only true way to be seriously satisfied, buy all of them and mod them all as you feel is important and have enough garage doors for everyday of the week and extras for the weekend too, and don't forget motorcycles too, there is no one car that is as fun to drive and returns great mpg as the Mini, yet when doubt sets in do All of them and you will be Happier!!! Mods come cause Any car gets Boring sooner or later to a enthusiast, it just happens, now at first a Viper is fast and so is that 997, then it becomes mundane and you want more of everything so here come the mods...

Or you could be That Guy who is happy with a Prius or Leaf getting to and from where ever and not get excited accelerating or hitting an Apex again!!! Shoot me if that ever happens to me, had a friend years ago who asked me, " Larry how's come when you leave sometimes you squeal your tires?". I told him as a man if you don't know, then I cannot explain it!!!!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:47 PM
caprisun
2nd Gear
Hi Boostme,

No plans of modifying as no roads to run them here n Philippines.
Just want one that is reliable & less headache to maintain.
Im learning a lot from this group about the issues of owning a mini.
I'm also looking @ the R53s as these tend to be easier to maintain and a few guys are DIYing or maintaining the car themselves.
I do enjoy driving the STIs but its way too fast for me.
Mini is great as it gets good gas mileage and the style never fades as each year comes in.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:02 AM
muzak
4th Gear
Honestly, the Subaru is probably going to be a little bit more reliable and the dealer is just a stones throw from you. The STi does have the ringland issue that is somewhat common, but the MINI has more than its fair share of quirks, if you will. You might also keep in mind that the WRX has as fast of a 0-60 time as the STi and you'll get a little more reliability (some say the stock tune in the STi is to blame) and it will be tamer. Plus, you can get STi add-ons from the factory. Not trying to sway you away from MINI, but personally, I would be just a little weary to own one without a dealer near by unless you are ready to try to do most of the maintenance and issues yourself. Having said that, I almost can't imagine life without a MINI; I'm on my 2nd one. They are a joy to own, so it may be worth any kind of headaches to you or you may get a good one. Lots of MINI's are relatively problem free and some are in and out of the dealership constantly. I feel like my 2nd one is a good one, knock on wood.

Last edited by muzak; 04-11-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:23 PM
caprisun
2nd Gear
Hi Muzak,

Thanks for chiming in.
I have definitely considered STI first.
As a matter of fact my 1st love for the fast car was the STI when I saw one @ the dealer.
Love the way that engine sounds.
After test driving two units- i felt the car's power is way too much for my needs & sad to say we don't have that kind of roads to maximize the cars potential.
I also don't race so the STI is really overkill. However the one thing i really like about it is :Reliability, dealership next by & the sound of the engine, plus it holds 5 people.
The mini came in next & i've driven a few already. Cooper , Cooper S - i really like this car & i feel i can handle the power this car is giving.
I also like the fact that the Mini is a classic & it has stood the test of time. The form hardly changes so giving it a timeless look. Plus, it hold its value very well.
I don't have to worry whether mine is a 2002 or a 2012 as the design and form is still a MINI. I also love the solid feel of the Mini compared to the Subaru.
I would probably end up getting a used R53 & just have our local mechanic do the maintenance work. So far, he has looked @ the videos and instructions on how to do the maintenance and he said its not that difficult provided we have the parts & tools for the scope of work.
The WRX version is not also available locally. So that is out.
I also have considered the 2012 R56s but that is a bit steep new, but you never know.
I'm more or less decided in getting a mini. Just a matter of timing on finding a good R53.

Thanks again.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Schtuffy
2nd Gear
In my opinion, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast.

We have a modded 07 STI and it's a tad frustrating to drive daily, because you have to feather the throttle everywhere. The ride is also extremely harsh, although I haven't ridden in a stock current gen STI. The only time I truly have fun is when I take it to autocross. I don't know about where you are, but you might also have to deal with riced out corollas constantly revving at you.

I've only extensively driven a Boxster, but the handling is sublime. Other than that though, I'm not a huge fan. The clutch is rather tall, and for some reason I always felt it was pretty far down on power. Maybe because the car was so composed I always wanted to push it harder... Don't suppose that would be a problem on any 911.

Have you considered a BMW 128i? I test drove a MCS and it felt great, but the 128i felt a tad better in my opinion. Better clutch/shifter, a bit more body roll, worse MPG, but wringing out that silky straight 6 made it my favorite car. My wife and I do have a JCW on order though.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:12 PM
caprisun
2nd Gear
Schtuffy,

Thanks for chimming in.
Yes, i have considered the BMW as I really like driving that car. Unfortunately when it comes to maintainance especially here in my country, its not for the faint of heart. It is very pricey to maintain.
Not to mention, like most cars, the price of BMWs is double than that from the US pricing.
BMW is out for me until such time i can probably afford one & be able to maintain one.
I agree with your on an STI- its a bit frustrating to drive it slow as our road conditions here dictate due to traffic.
The cooper is ok and i've driven it in traffic-the car does not dictate you to drive fast. You can drive it slowly.
The ride of the new stock STI is not bad actually. I like it, solid as well but not quite as the MCS. Love the growl of the engine. If i was in Manila, Davao, Cagayan or Bacolod with long highway stretches, i would consider the STI.
If to buy a porsche someday, it would be a carrera but again, thats another impractical car to own here.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
I get a sti or a jcw......I had an 06 wrx for 5 years....the mini does handle as well or even better than the wrx and better on gas...

Or get the jcw countryman

I crashed my Subie

So I bought another all wheel drive turbo car

Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 AM
highlander709
4th Gear
If BMW maintenance costs scare you, then probably think twice about the MINI. In the US at least, I think they are pretty similar when it comes to dealer service rates and parts costs.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:52 PM
caprisun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by highlander709
If BMW maintenance costs scare you, then probably think twice about the MINI. In the US at least, I think they are pretty similar when it comes to dealer service rates and parts costs.
Thanks for pointing this out. If to have my car done thru the dealer, yes, it would be as costly or slightly less than the BMW. However, i plan to get a 2004-2006 MCS or MCS-A so its out of warranty.
We plan to have the car maintained outside of dealer and just order the parts from WMW. I saw the parts list from WMW and its not really that pricey compare to what they charge locally. The Mini dealer here charges 3-4x the cost in parts compared to what WMW is charging. Go figure.

I understand the 2004-2006 MCS are not as electronic dependent as the newer cooper S so our local guys should be able to service them.

Quick Reply: R56 Any Porsche or Subaru STI owners here ?