R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 A/C Delete - Any Takers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 04:56 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A/C Delete - Any Takers?

Anybody out there deleted their A/C from their MCS? I'm looking at potentially doing this next year ONLY if someone else has gone through with it Don't want to be a guinea pig again. I didn't use mine all last year even in the 100 degree summer we had. It pays to be lean :-)

I know some of you U.K. guys have had this dirty thought. Come on now!

Last edited by countryboyshane; 04-12-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:58 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too hot down here to not have a/c!

Old 04-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Finz up
3rd Gear
Old 04-12-2012, 09:14 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
How much weight do you expect to save? According to KBB, the retail value of your car will be reduced by about $600 if you remove the AC.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Mmm I would if I were to strickly track it but daily driving in Florida would be no bueno without an A/C. Though I am very interested in weight savings and power gain from deleting your A/C.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:17 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 207 Likes on 171 Posts
I'd only consider this if you don't use the a/c in the summer
AND
if you never use it to help defog the windows in the spring, summer or fall.

Looked up a few part weights

compressor 12.75 #
condensor 6.4-6.7 # depending on brand
evaporator and exp. valve 3.7 #
the 4 largest hoses probably about 2 #

That's about 25 pounds.

in deleting, would have to add back in an idler pulley, http://www.waymotorworks.com/a-c-delete-pulley.html
but I couldn't find a weight on it.
Some say just use a smaller belt instead of the idler pulley,
but never heard what size and whether that actually works.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:26 AM
CKeffer
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lol, I live in Houston TX.....I'd rather not melt, roast, or burst into flames due to lack of A/C in the summer. If it was a dedicated track car, I could see doing this, but not for a DD.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:27 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
It's my "fun" car now. I've only ever turned it on a couple of times in Michigan.

I wonder if that pulley delete will fit for the N14? Again, I won't want to be the first to try ha ha

Old 04-13-2012, 10:32 AM
amancuso
5th Gear
removing A/C to me always seems like a horrible idea. Any net (power) gain would be inconsequential anyway.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Subzero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by amancuso
Any net (power) gain would be inconsequential anyway.
That's what I always thought as well. How much "butt dyno" difference is one really going to notice with removing the ac? Why butcher an awesome car for next-to-zero gain?

Similarly, I always notice people hating on the sunroof due to weight issues. I seriously wonder how many people on this board could get into different MINIs blindfolded and determine which ones do or do not have sunroofs just by the driving experience alone. One or two at best?

Old 04-13-2012, 05:41 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 767 Likes on 625 Posts
We've had several people get the delete pulley

Plus we use it on our track cars.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 04-14-2012, 11:15 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
It's about cutting out the fat! Probably around 20-25 lbs! Don't forget a car with less inertia will also handle much better.

Way, has anyone tried the delete pulley on an R56?

Old 12-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Ashtonairwaves
1st Gear
Bump. Has anyone pursued this? Probs very little gains... I remember when I did this to two of my Saabs I used to own, it just made everything easier to work on and the bay looked more tidy... I just put a shorter belt on. I'm interested to see how other peeps have done it to their mini..

Old 12-12-2013, 07:01 AM
dmyer
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I could save more weight if I just lose 25 LBS myself like I should!

Old 12-12-2013, 07:04 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Even if I was only a track car I wouldn't bother. Keep it, not worth the trouble to remove it.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Ashtonairwaves
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
Even if I was only a track car I wouldn't bother. Keep it, not worth the trouble to remove it.
Haha, "not worth the trouble" ..right? Ah good to know.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:41 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 309 Likes on 233 Posts
I did this with my R53, back when I thought I was getting really serious about competing in the SCCA Autocross National competitions within the STX class.

Turner Motorsport was kind enough to do the work, which never gave me any worries at all, however...

1. A couple of months later I took my son from Massachusetts down to Virginia International Raceway for the huge bash and racing weekend thrown by the Shelby Owners Club. The tempurature going down, and coming back, and throughout the weekend hovered around 90 degrees and first my son and then my wife took delight in pointing out that my suffering was self-inflicted!

2. The next year, the SCCA changed the rules for the class - doing what is called a "take back" by eliminating their permission for this change and requiring the manufacturer's system to be present for the car to be compliant in the class.

OOPS.

I've had no further impulses with the current car, and cheerfully carry the compressor around with the rest of the car - and even use the system once in a great while.

Hey - it seemed like a good idea at the time...

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 09-10-2020, 06:08 AM
graigchq
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OK, I know it's an old thread, but I came across it twice in researching this.. a few points to clear things up for people on both sides of the pond.

In the USA:
All cars had A/C, so you wont find any part numbers for shorter belts or anything like that. I believe that in some cases if there was no A/C speced that they actually still included a pulley in its place or even an actual AC compressor but not connected.

In the EU:
Most cars have AC, all N14 and N18 Cooper S's had A/C but there was a base model here that wasn't ever released in the USA called the Mini One. This had a no-A/C option and thus there was a shorter belt for this, as all else was the same. This is true for N12, N14, N16 and N18 engines, despite the major differences in all petrol variants, the aux belt path was the same, with or without AC.

So with that cleared up, YES you can indeed just bypass the AC unit and fit a shorter belt. Here are my experiences:

I picked up a 6PK684 Dayco belt, but anything around that length will do. There is also a 6PK698, 6PK700 both of which would work, and would likely be easier to fit, as the main thing with these shorter belts is that they are stretch-fit.

So you fanagle the jimmy-wotsit to move the tensioner up, push that little pin in from under the bonnet (that's right, the bonnet, under which the engine lives over here in the UK) to release the tension. The old belt should come off fairly easily, but I found that even with an identical part number and length, an original belt was still a pain in the A$$ to get over the pulleys. Took a while longer than youtube would have you believe, and again this is due to stretchy belt vs. premium. I got a 6PK895 with my replacement kit, and the "premium" one is 6PK905... i.e. 10mm longer, just enough to make it easier to fit.

In my case, the A/C was running roughly on the pulley, and making a lot of noise. I never use the system so bypassing it, not removing all the lines etc, made sense to get rid of the noise, without having to deal with A/C fluid and all that stuff. I simply dont use it here in the UK.

Shorter belt 6PK684, coulda done wiht being a little longer, was a right pain. I got hold of one of those little tools (SFT001 from gates) that allows you to hook it on, but that wouldn't work.

The trick was using zip ties to zip the belt to the crank pulley, making sure its round the alternator, then cranking around until it jumps on. This worked. PM me for a more detailed description, no-one should have to go through that pain again fitting these damn things.

No noise, (no A/C) but also clearance is fine, this should be no less reliable than the longer belt around the AC. All in all very happy I tried this.

The following 2 users liked this post by graigchq:
M.I.E (05-23-2021), Mack Paton (08-16-2024)
Old 06-12-2021, 07:08 AM
sbninja
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We've had several people get the delete pulley

Plus we use it on our track cars.
This delete pulley fits an r56 n18?

Old 08-16-2024, 06:10 PM
Mack Paton
Neutral
Originally Posted by graigchq
OK, I know it's an old thread, but I came across it twice in researching this.. a few points to clear things up for people on both sides of the pond.

In the USA:
All cars had A/C, so you wont find any part numbers for shorter belts or anything like that. I believe that in some cases if there was no A/C speced that they actually still included a pulley in its place or even an actual AC compressor but not connected.

In the EU:
Most cars have AC, all N14 and N18 Cooper S's had A/C but there was a base model here that wasn't ever released in the USA called the Mini One. This had a no-A/C option and thus there was a shorter belt for this, as all else was the same. This is true for N12, N14, N16 and N18 engines, despite the major differences in all petrol variants, the aux belt path was the same, with or without AC.

So with that cleared up, YES you can indeed just bypass the AC unit and fit a shorter belt. Here are my experiences:

I picked up a 6PK684 Dayco belt, but anything around that length will do. There is also a 6PK698, 6PK700 both of which would work, and would likely be easier to fit, as the main thing with these shorter belts is that they are stretch-fit.

So you fanagle the jimmy-wotsit to move the tensioner up, push that little pin in from under the bonnet (that's right, the bonnet, under which the engine lives over here in the UK) to release the tension. The old belt should come off fairly easily, but I found that even with an identical part number and length, an original belt was still a pain in the A$$ to get over the pulleys. Took a while longer than youtube would have you believe, and again this is due to stretchy belt vs. premium. I got a 6PK895 with my replacement kit, and the "premium" one is 6PK905... i.e. 10mm longer, just enough to make it easier to fit.

In my case, the A/C was running roughly on the pulley, and making a lot of noise. I never use the system so bypassing it, not removing all the lines etc, made sense to get rid of the noise, without having to deal with A/C fluid and all that stuff. I simply dont use it here in the UK.

Shorter belt 6PK684, coulda done wiht being a little longer, was a right pain. I got hold of one of those little tools (SFT001 from gates) that allows you to hook it on, but that wouldn't work.

The trick was using zip ties to zip the belt to the crank pulley, making sure its round the alternator, then cranking around until it jumps on. This worked. PM me for a more detailed description, no-one should have to go through that pain again fitting these damn things.

No noise, (no A/C) but also clearance is fine, this should be no less reliable than the longer belt around the AC. All in all very happy I tried this.
Would this work on a Mini Cooper Diesel 2009 .

Old 08-16-2024, 06:30 PM
mkov608
5th Gear
Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
"AC is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin

Or was that beer? I can't remember.

Old 08-16-2024, 08:11 PM
aRussianDennis
Neutral
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Anybody out there deleted their A/C from their MCS? I'm looking at potentially doing this next year ONLY if someone else has gone through with it Don't want to be a guinea pig again. I didn't use mine all last year even in the 100 degree summer we had. It pays to be lean :-)

I know some of you U.K. guys have had this dirty thought. Come on now!
you crazy, I’m in Arizona and it can get up to 120 degrees Fahrenheit out here. A/C is life, I keep lean by going to the gym😏

Old 08-17-2024, 07:39 AM
JAMADOR
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've got 1 car with no AC [from the factory] don't need 2.
The first is a 75 MG Midget, never had AC as an option. Glad my R57 is like a meat locker in the summer.