R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Justa Owners: wish you bought an S?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 06:31 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cary Cooper
The difference is I would say the VAST majority of NAM members are MINI motoring enthusiasts - meaning we are passionate about our little Brits, and take joy in motoring the the way these cars were meant to be driven. These cars are quite simply icons and when it comes right down to it, "fun" is a word almost everyone associates with them regardless of the model... Hard to criticize someone who loves their S because it's fun when someone else says the exact same thing about their Justa, JCW, or GP. You just gotta respect folks' need to play with their toy! Many of us are also members of MINI clubs, some who just like a spirited drive, and some who race and take them to their physical (and metaphysical) limits so know what these cars are really capable of and again, when it comes down to it, nobody cares what the model is, we love and appreciate them all. We all only care the pilots appreciate what they're motoring in. If not everyone else will convince them why they should!
Well said.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mike M
I've had my Cooper for about 2 1/2 years and 80,000 miles, and never once have I regretted not getting an S. If I've regretted anything, it's not getting a Clubman, but that's only because sometimes I'd like the extra space.

I understand fully why people love their S's and JCW's, but I guess I've always subscribed to the old philosophy that "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow". Plus, as others have pointed out, these cars are really more about the handling than straight-line speed.

On a somewhat-related note, I have to say that I really hate the "Justa" name. My car isn't "justa" anything. To me, that implies that you somehow settled for less, which I in no way did. I bought exactly what I wanted to buy, and have been happy ever since.
I don't care about the Justa tag. I tell everyone that my justa is just perfect.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
I've had my Cooper for about 2 1/2 years and 80,000 miles, and never once have I regretted not getting an S. If I've regretted anything, it's not getting a Clubman, but that's only because sometimes I'd like the extra space.

I understand fully why people love their S's and JCW's, but I guess I've always subscribed to the old philosophy that "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow". Plus, as others have pointed out, these cars are really more about the handling than straight-line speed.

On a somewhat-related note, I have to say that I really hate the "Justa" name. My car isn't "justa" anything. To me, that implies that you somehow settled for less, which I in no way did. I bought exactly what I wanted to buy, and have been happy ever since.
Very well said, I just hit 70000 and I too love it every minute.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 PM
amancuso
5th Gear
My car isn't "Justa" anything. it's a MINI Cooper.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:44 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by amancuso
My car isn't "Justa" anything. it's a MINI Cooper.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
... I really hate the "Justa" name.
I am pretty fond of it, actually. I think it's quite amusing, and is a way to preempt the "Oh it's JUST a Cooper" comments.

Just my opinion, though.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:59 PM
peppermill
2nd Gear
Since Mini also offers the John Cooper Works models, shouldn't we all refer to MCS's as "Nearly Works"?
Obviously meant with the utmost affection and respect.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:48 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by peppermill
Since Mini also offers the John Cooper Works models, shouldn't we all refer to MCS's as "Nearly Works"?
Obviously meant with the utmost affection and respect.
HA HA HA HA Oh MAN that made my day.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
If I ever get an "S", that's how I'll refer to it! :D

Old 05-16-2012, 02:50 PM
gr8ful
4th Gear
Had an "S" and it a bit faster but it was a hot engine. The cooper just seems more relaxed and less complicted. " nearly a works" is great. I like all Mini Coopers.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Korben Dallas
2nd Gear
Pros:
- 40MPG
- Much softer ride
- Cheaper
- 40MPG
- Keeps me from speeding too much because it's pretty weak

Cons:
- Much softer ride
- Stock 175/65 tires are awful
- Prevents me from speeding too much because it's pretty weak

Final thoughts:
I don't regret my decision to go with a Cooper this time around. It's saving me a ton on gas, while still being equally as fun. The power difference doesn't really matter to me too much, but sometimes I wish there was a little more oomph. The biggest gripe I have with the Cooper is the suspension is really really soft compared to the S.

Still loving every mile of it though.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:06 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
A slightly different list for weighing buying a straight Cooper vs. an S:

Pros:
-less expensive (S models tend to be thousands more)
-less maintenance
(includes fewer oil problems, no bits melting off like a Dali painting, no carbon buildup)
-better gas mileage (most likely, depending on both driver and conditions)
-room for a spare, so no runflats unless you really WANT them
-less likely to get a speeding ticket

Cons:
-a certain amount of loss of self esteem when in a group of Ss (they may not say it, but you KNOW they are thinking that you are slower)
-no turbo noises, no 'pop and burble'
-harder to go down the long and winding road of performance mods
-harder to cook carburetor chicken on it, takes a longer trip, try Game hens instead
-oil doesn't get dark as fast as a turbo makes it, so it's harder to read the level
-when that Mustang challenges you at the light, you just have to look away and turn the radio up

There.... that's closer to reality. LOL!!!

Old 05-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Cactus Kid
1st Gear
The MC rides softer than the MCS? I thought that they had the same chassis & suspension, unless you opt for sport suspension.

Obviously run flat tires on the MCS will make a firmer ride than the 15" traditional tires on the MC.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:52 AM
amancuso
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Cactus Kid
The MC rides softer than the MCS? I thought that they had the same chassis & suspension, unless you opt for sport suspension.

Obviously run flat tires on the MCS will make a firmer ride than the 15" traditional tires on the MC.
They are the same. his MCS might have had Sport suspension and his MC does not. Coming from other cars the non-sport is NOT too soft.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JoanieB
A slightly different list for weighing buying a straight Cooper vs. an S:

Pros:
-less expensive (S models tend to be thousands more)
-less maintenance
(includes fewer oil problems, no bits melting off like a Dali painting, no carbon buildup)
-better gas mileage (most likely, depending on both driver and conditions)
-room for a spare, so no runflats unless you really WANT them
-less likely to get a speeding ticket

Cons:
-a certain amount of loss of self esteem when in a group of Ss (they may not say it, but you KNOW they are thinking that you are slower)
-no turbo noises, no 'pop and burble'
-harder to go down the long and winding road of performance mods
-harder to cook carburetor chicken on it, takes a longer trip, try Game hens instead
-oil doesn't get dark as fast as a turbo makes it, so it's harder to read the level
-when that Mustang challenges you at the light, you just have to look away and turn the radio up[Or rev your engine and goad him. Then drive normal]

There.... that's closer to reality. LOL!!!
Cool list.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:42 AM
JoanieB
5th Gear
-when that Mustang challenges you at the light, you just have to look away and turn the radio up[Or rev your engine and goad him. Then drive normal]

Do you do that too, Tank251?

Yeah.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Cary Cooper
3rd Gear
-when that Mustang challenges you at the light, you just have to look away and turn the radio up

[Or rev your engine and goad him. Then drive normal]
You don't have to worry about that anyway... The Mustang's likely to break...

Old 05-19-2012, 09:17 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
I am very happy with my Justa! I have, however, done some mods that do give her a little extra "ooomph" and tad more HP. DDMWorks CAI and Waylens NM torque arm bushings. Loving the way she handles now! Not quite an "S", but quite a bit better!

Old 05-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
Well, I just gave back the 2012 justa loaner that I had while my 2009 was in the shop.

I had not realized that there was as large a difference in driveability between VANOS and non-VANOS cars. the new car is a real pleasure to drive. All of the throttle hesitation is gone, and the car is much much smoother at low speed and from a stop than my 2009.

Mind you, I still like my 2009 a lot, but the new cars are much improved.

I would recommend a new Justa to anyone.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Tank251
4th Gear

Do you do that too, Tank251?

Yeah.

Yes it is fun.
My justa can't take him and we both know it. So serves him right for being an asp.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:24 PM
DaveKennedy
2nd Gear
I'm loving my '09 "Justa". I've started doing some mods and i'm thrilled with the 40+ mpg i'm getting on my drives. It's spirited enough especially with the sport button pressed. It has all the noticability of an S to most people and feels special when i'm driving it every day. Sure an S would be faster, but who cares?

Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Klayfish
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DaveKennedy
...but who cares?
I think that's exactly what it comes down to, at least for me. I'm still shopping for my Mini (having a blast doing so). I'm shopping both the S and the Justa. I've gone through the pros and cons list ad nauseum. At the end of the day, I'm going to get whatever car strikes me as the right car with the right options, the right color and the right price for me and my wife. I'm buying the car for us to enjoy and have fun with, and not to say it in a negative way but what others think of the car doesn't mean much to me. If I get a Justa and am with a group of S owners who want to be snobby about it, I could care less. If I get an S, I wouldn't care if I'm cruising with a Justa owner.

Back in the day, I had an FFR Shelby Cobra 427 replica. There were similar issues based on who made the replica, what engine was in it (i.e. did it have a 302, 351, 427...). I didn't care. I just enjoyed the car and plan to do the same here.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:43 AM
DaveKennedy
2nd Gear
Couldn't agree more! The color and options are more important IMO... how many of us actually take full advantage of the performance of the car? Not many. How many of the S owners autocross their cars or drive into "S-territory" so to speak all that often? Not many. The vast majority of the time I spend in my car is driving along and legal hiway speed or enjoying the car with my wife and son (he's 7 so he still fits in the back).
And really if you're with a group of people who are snobby about whether or not your Justa is a Justa or an S.... do you really want to hang out with that group? Doesn't sound like much fun frankly.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:54 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think people who are snobby("S" owners) are plain stupid. And I believe Justa people need to stop worry about their status of what kind of MINI they drive. For crying out loud, IT'S A MINI!!! Everyone is family here on NAM or anywhere we go. Just enjoy your car and have fun! I went from a Justa to an S, and I don't judge other owners or anything, I could care less of what kind of MINI they drive. I feel like Justa owners hate S owners and S owners are complete jackasses to the Justa owners. I just wish people would stop judging one another on what model they drive.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:58 AM
pew1375
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 02 MCS. Out here in Las Vegas, the weather Is pretty nice most of the time, so there are lots of MINI get togethers. There are lots of different MINI's. Most are probably S's, but there are lots of justa's as well. I haven't heard anyone talk down to anyone else because of what model they have. I don't think anyone would, but if it did happen, I'm sure somebody would put a stop to it! A MINI is a MINI. Some are faster, and some just plain look cool. It's kind of like the difference between the Supercharged and Turbo S.
I have a Supercharger, and love the sound and responsiveness. Some swear by the turbo. I love em either way!
Here's a picture of a get together recently. We went for a cruise up the Strip, and stopped at a favorite spot for a photo op.
Notice the Justa's and S's all getting along!

Quick Reply: R56 Justa Owners: wish you bought an S?