R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Justa Owners: wish you bought an S?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:11 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In-brand hatred seems to exist only on the internet. The vocal "I hate the base model, your car is slow lol!@" idiots you come across on the internet would never have the ***** to trash talk my slow cooper face to face.

I love the lowered silver R50 on the far right of that image, I'd love to see a higher res close-up!

Originally Posted by pew1375
I have a 02 MCS. Out here in Las Vegas, the weather Is pretty nice most of the time, so there are lots of MINI get togethers. There are lots of different MINI's. Most are probably S's, but there are lots of justa's as well. I haven't heard anyone talk down to anyone else because of what model they have. I don't think anyone would, but if it did happen, I'm sure somebody would put a stop to it! A MINI is a MINI. Some are faster, and some just plain look cool. It's kind of like the difference between the Supercharged and Turbo S.
I have a Supercharger, and love the sound and responsiveness. Some swear by the turbo. I love em either way!
Here's a picture of a get together recently. We went for a cruise up the Strip, and stopped at a favorite spot for a photo op.
Notice the Justa's and S's all getting along!

Old 05-21-2012, 10:19 AM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one in my clubs has ever said anything bad about straight MCs. Never! If it came to that someone would correct them quickly. My list was just joking, certainly not meant to imply that someone's car is less than someone elses. Because there are MINIs to suit everyone! The clubs and groups are warm and welcoming.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 AM
pew1375
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
In-brand hatred seems to exist only on the internet. The vocal "I hate the base model, your car is slow lol!@" idiots you come across on the internet would never have the ***** to trash talk my slow cooper face to face.

I love the lowered silver R50 on the far right of that image, I'd love to see a higher res close-up!
Actually the color isn't real good in these pics. We were on the top floor of a parking garage with bad lighting.
That one on the far right is Nugget. All gold. Aero kit and arches are all body color. Beautiful MINI!

Old 05-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
Justa, or "S" doesn't matter. As long as they are British Racing Green, they're all good.

I've heard the other colors aren't bad, either, but why take the chance?

Old 05-21-2012, 05:37 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peppermill
Since Mini also offers the John Cooper Works models, shouldn't we all refer to MCS's as "Nearly Works"?
Obviously meant with the utmost affection and respect.
This just popped into my head...

Works, well they're just "Works".

S's are "Diet Works"

Non-S's are "Caffeine Free Diet Works"

Old 05-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Cary Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Herleman
Justa, or "S" doesn't matter. As long as they are British Racing Green, they're all good.

I've heard the other colors aren't bad, either, but why take the chance?
Because these cars make you smile and yellow is just such a happy color, that's why! Perfect match!

Old 05-22-2012, 05:16 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
The club I belong to loves all MINI's. Even green ones. Great people.

No matter the MINI or colour they are welcome in MINI5280.

I have never been dissed in the club or on NAM for having a Justa.

I admit to claiming LiB is the best colour. Which it is, but other colours are good too.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Someone
1st Gear
I almost bought a MCS, but driving it back to back with the "Justa" I just enjoyed the Justa more and felt better with the simplicity, ride comfort and higher efficiency. Not having low profiles is also a big plus for me. I was coming from an E36 M3 and really thought I would need the power of the S to help bridge the gap, but I don't. I'm actually glad I don't have more power sometimes because I find myself driving way quicker in the Mini than the E36.

A few years ago I was at a car meet with my Impreza wagon hooning around with two WRXs and I was easily able to keep up with them in almost everything they did save for some of the straightaways. They were genuinely surprised because I was down 60+ HP.

I do miss having a turbo woosh sometimes. (I've owned a few Saabs)

Old 08-21-2012, 08:17 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Someone

I do miss having a turbo woosh sometimes. (I've owned a few Saabs)
If video games can have action sounds tied to the controls, why can't we? A turbo whine without the turbo.... yeah, that would be awesome!

Old 08-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Someone
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JoanieB
If video games can have action sounds tied to the controls, why can't we? A turbo whine without the turbo.... yeah, that would be awesome!
Well I need some tactile feedback to go with the woosh, if not we're just left with this:

Old 08-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Cons:
-a certain amount of loss of self esteem when in a group of Ss (they may not say it, but you KNOW they are thinking that you are slower)
In a straight line, sure, the S is faster. But if that's what I was worried about, I wouldn't have bought a MINI in the first place. Fact is, all MINIs are slow in a straight line for the money.

But when it comes to the place where MINIs really shine (the Dragon, Sebring, Road Atlanta, etc.), my Cooper has always been able to hold it's own with the more powerful MINIs everywhere but the long straights.

Originally Posted by Herleman
Well, I just gave back the 2012 justa loaner that I had while my 2009 was in the shop.

I had not realized that there was as large a difference in driveability between VANOS and non-VANOS cars. the new car is a real pleasure to drive. All of the throttle hesitation is gone, and the car is much much smoother at low speed and from a stop than my 2009.

Mind you, I still like my 2009 a lot, but the new cars are much improved.

I would recommend a new Justa to anyone.
Actually, all Justas since 2007 have had VANOS and Valvetronic. The Cooper S lacked Valvetronic and only the intake valves had VANOS until 2011 (JCWs add both for 2013), but the Justas have had them both all along.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 PM
noreen99
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love my JUSTA!

Old 08-23-2012, 04:19 AM
Meboko
2nd Gear
Nope. Could have bought an S if I wanted to but the added cost and complexity (not to mention runflats...) weren't worth it for me. My Justa has plenty of power for me and handles as good as or better than anything I've driven. Got an automatic, too, since I sit in traffic fairly often and I've gotten too old and lazy to be pushin' a clutch pedal every 5 seconds... The only thing I'm a bit jealous of on the S is the grille - can't seem to find a "non-slat" grille for my 2012.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:13 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Meboko
Nope. Could have bought an S if I wanted to but the added cost and complexity (not to mention runflats...) weren't worth it for me. My Justa has plenty of power for me and handles as good as or better than anything I've driven. Got an automatic, too, since I sit in traffic fairly often and I've gotten too old and lazy to be pushin' a clutch pedal every 5 seconds... The only thing I'm a bit jealous of on the S is the grille - can't seem to find a "non-slat" grille for my 2012.
There is a lot of fun to be had in a Justa if you keep it in the 3-4K RPM range. No issues with power whatsoever, just don't baby it. Yeah, it's not a turbo/sc, but it's still a blast to drive on it's own merits.

The only knock I have on the standard Cooper is the body kit. It seems like other Justa owners feel the same way. I miss my hood scoop and slat-less grilles.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:37 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Doesn't matter if its a Justa, S or JCW, they are all a blast to drive and are more fun than (just about) anything else on the road. If its a MINI (or Mini), it can't be bad.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:51 AM
leaf_fan_1988
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'm young and stupid, I don't have the self control for an S yet, never mind a JCW.
The way I drive my justa, and every other car in my past, anything with a turbo would get me locked up and my license shredded.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:44 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is the best of the several threads on S vs. Straight Cooper decision. Many well written posts here.
I've thought a lot about it over the 4 + years of owning my Cooper, because I originally wanted the S and I have that sports car yearning. I do enjoy the potential for speed, and my car is 'peppy' at best. That being said, it has the sport suspension and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, and it handles superbly.
While I occasionally miss the potential power, I like the traditional grill, the simpler maintenance, and the potential for longevity.
So, I am glad I have it and rarely look back. I am in a local club which is split about 50/50 between S and straight Coopers, and it's a non issue. When I get to drive an S, I'll admit to an extra thrill... I think of the S as an occasional treat.
As we all agree, "I love my car!"

Old 08-24-2012, 06:46 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Originally Posted by leaf_fan_1988
I'm young and stupid, I don't have the self control for an S yet, never mind a JCW.
The way I drive my justa, and every other car in my past, anything with a turbo would get me locked up and my license shredded.
I'm 29 and I drive like that.

If I'm gonna get a faster car, it's going to be a FASTER car, with an obnoxiously large engine and RWD, I think. I think I'm going to get a RMW tune on my Cooper to squeeze all I can out of it, though.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:17 AM
pilotguy1050
2nd Gear
I'm totally fine with my Justa

I have owned my 2005 Justa now for about 6 months or so. Just turned over 135k miles. I think this car is great, and I never really considered getting an "S"... due to pricing concerns.

I also was around heavy trucks when I was younger working my way thru high school, and remember that turbochargers (as a generic term) come with more than one pricetag (cost, fuel consumption, maintenance)... And so I believe that "simpler" is usually "better". I sleep pretty good at night knowing my little white over red car (while not as powerful as it's "S" brothers and sisters,) can hold it's own just fine on the road, sounds great and is a blast to drive.

No regrets going this way at all.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:31 AM
pezking6983
Banned
I love my Justa to death. I would have liked to purchase an S model, but I was working my butt off just to be able to afford the base model. After finally getting the car, I don't feel shortchanged whatsoever. It's the best car I've ever owned.

When the car is payed off and I feel like it's time to get a new MINI, I would probably try to get the next model up, but I don't think that takes away from the fun and love I have for my car.

It's cool to look at what other people have and hope that one day you could have it too, but if it affects you to the point of sadness...it's not worth it. We should all enjoy what we own.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:12 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
LOVE this thread. Ditto all the positive feelings here!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:33 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
I test drove a Justa at the MINI Throw Down this summer. I'd felt almost obligated to do so, since I'm asked about all MINIs now that I have one, and didn't have any seat time in one to be able to offer any personal experience.

I had a blast with it. It was full of MINI "goodness", nimble, fast-enough. I've owned many 4-cyl "foreign" cars over the years, and would have loved for any of them to have had the feel, power, and over presence a Justa now has. Just a remarkable design, well executed. And no wonder (to me) that they are so well-loved.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:15 AM
chiguy20002
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Korben Dallas
Pros:
- 40MPG
- Much softer ride
- Cheaper
- 40MPG
- Keeps me from speeding too much because it's pretty weak

Cons:
- Much softer ride
- Stock 175/65 tires are awful
- Prevents me from speeding too much because it's pretty weak

Final thoughts:
I don't regret my decision to go with a Cooper this time around. It's saving me a ton on gas, while still being equally as fun. The power difference doesn't really matter to me too much, but sometimes I wish there was a little more oomph. The biggest gripe I have with the Cooper is the suspension is really really soft compared to the S.

Still loving every mile of it though.
A slightly different list for weighing buying a straight Cooper vs. an S:

Pros:
-less expensive (S models tend to be thousands more)
-less maintenance
(includes fewer oil problems, no bits melting off like a Dali painting, no carbon buildup)
-better gas mileage (most likely, depending on both driver and conditions)
-room for a spare, so no runflats unless you really WANT them
-less likely to get a speeding ticket

Cons:
-a certain amount of loss of self esteem when in a group of Ss (they may not say it, but you KNOW they are thinking that you are slower)
-no turbo noises, no 'pop and burble'
-harder to go down the long and winding road of performance mods
-harder to cook carburetor chicken on it, takes a longer trip, try Game hens instead
-oil doesn't get dark as fast as a turbo makes it, so it's harder to read the level
-when that Mustang challenges you at the light, you just have to look away and turn the radio up

There.... that's closer to reality. LOL!!!
I like both these lists! Each has great points! I started off with MINIs when my wife got a Base Countryman FWD MT. I liked that, it was fun to drive and did well on gas. I was originally considering a Countryman for myself, but I then drove a new Base Hardtop MT. I also drove a few used S Hardtop MT. When I need to replace the stock tires, I would definitely want to go wider than the tiny 175 width, and I may go up to a 16" wheel, but not much bigger. I don't want large heavy wheels slowing down my car.

The used S Hardtop MTs seemed to be quick, but not much more so than the new Base Hardtop. I think it is possible that the used S Hardtop MT had regular gas in them, because they did not run that well. I never drove a new S Hardtop MT. I liked the new Base Hardtop very much, and I was after a car that got good fuel economy but was still fun to drive. This is what I ended up getting. The added bonus was that it felt quick enough, and was definitely quicker than my wife's Base Countryman FWD MT.

After driving my Base Hardtop, and having her Base Countryman for almost a year, my wife felt that her Base Countryman was too slow, and wanted to look at the Countryman S and the Countryman S ALL4. We ended up trading her Base Countryman for the Countryman S ALL4. My Base Hardtop felt "just right" for power, and the Countryman S ALL4 felt "just right" for power also. The Base Countryman definitely felt underpowered.

If I were to do it again, I would consider the Clubman over the Hardtop, and possibly the S, but overall I am happy with my Base Hardtop. If my wife were to do it again, she would have gotten at least the Countryman S or the Countryman S ALL4 from the beginning. Those would be one of the ones I would choose, if I were to get the Countryman instead of the Clubman or the Hardtop. I must say though, that when driving my Base Hardtop, I miss the burbling and popping and turbo whine of my wife's Countryman S ALL4.

To conclude it really all depends on what you are after. If you want fun to drive, but yet still quite good on gas and "practical" in that respect, get the non-S. If you want something a bit more fun to drive, and gas mileage is not as important, get the S.

Side note, if one were looking at MINIs for the first time, and decided that they wanted to get a Cooper S for $27,550, if they saw a Countryman S (not ALL4) for $28,550 with similar features (only thing I can see missing on the Countryman S that the Cooper S had was auto climate controls, both had heated seats and a sunroof), would you spend the extra on the Countryman "in case" you wanted more space over the Cooper S?

Last edited by chiguy20002; 08-24-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:31 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ljmattox
I test drove a Justa at the MINI Throw Down this summer. I'd felt almost obligated to do so, since I'm asked about all MINIs now that I have one, and didn't have any seat time in one to be able to offer any personal experience.

I had a blast with it. It was full of MINI "goodness", nimble, fast-enough. I've owned many 4-cyl "foreign" cars over the years, and would have loved for any of them to have had the feel, power, and over presence a Justa now has. Just a remarkable design, well executed. And no wonder (to me) that they are so well-loved.
ljmattox, thanks for your input. Well said. Nice to hear such great things from a "S" owner!! All MINI's are a blast, don't care what model, color, etc.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:14 AM
noreen99
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ljmattox

+1 needed a semi practical commuter.
Didn't actually do the "take down" but after test drivin the ford fiesta and the Chevy sonic then jumped in a coupe there was no way I wasn't getting the MINI
You could definetly feel the difference the MINIs are solid and hold the road well, the fiesta was rattley at highway speeds and after 15 minutes in the sonic thought I had blown the tranny. Just opening the door on the cooper you could feel the difference in the quality

Quick Reply: R56 Justa Owners: wish you bought an S?