R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 egg on my car

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Nelnel21
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
egg on my car

woke up this morning with egg on my car. just took delivery of it 3 weeks ago. still temporary tags on it. apparently they were aiming for my little brothers integra and some missed and hit my car. washed it off and re waxed yet still see some areas where the egg penetrated into the paint on the hood and driver door depending on the angle. from what i'm being told i am screwed and have to repaint to get it back to new. i am beyond mad and am wondering if i should take some legal action.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
I wouldn't get the law involved. Just beat the **** out of your brother for making enemies that are too sissy to face him man to man.

Good luck with your paint.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:35 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Just my opinion.

Legal action will cost you a lot of money and probably not get you anywhere even if you know "exactly" who it was that threw the egg. Even if you had video of the perpetrator doing it most courts would probably throw the case out for wasting their time.

Sorry if i sound bitter about our court system but I am speaking from experience.

Now as to your paint problem one of the members here (orangecrush) owns a body shop and may or may not have some suggestions for you.

Below is something that i personally have not tried but have a few friends that have and some say it helps others not so much

Make sure your car is in full shade do not do this in the sun.

Create a mixture using 1 part water and 1 part vinegar.

Soak a towel in the mixture, and place it on the egg stain. You may also spray the mixture onto the car using a spray bottle. Allow the towel to sit for at least 15 minutes.

Remove the towel. Dry the area using a different towel.

If necessary, repeat

Old 04-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Pedro99
2nd Gear
Me toooooo......

I got egged in front of my house within 3months of delivery....wasn't as bad as yours but it really SUCKED! Mine is mellow yellow....hmmmmm.
Some people.......

Old 04-26-2012, 09:59 AM
bhegg
3rd Gear
Sorry to hear that. There's no way you'd have to repaint your car. For sure the egg didn't penetrate all the way through your clearcoat.

Wash the area, hit it with a clay bar to remove all contaminants, then use a good off-the shelf-swirl remover. If the swirl-remover doesn't have the desired affects, then there are more aggressive pastes.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
We will see if it did any permenant damage. Hopefully not but I am thinking with how new the paint is you might be in for the hood being redone. Damn this is why I hate people.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Nelnel21
2nd Gear
ok tried the water and vinegar solution and it helped a little bit but still there. please let me know if i can get this stuff off with the clay bar method.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Old 04-26-2012, 11:07 AM
t-bear
2nd Gear
I would try some polishing compound, seems you just need to get back down to the clear coat.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Nelnel21
2nd Gear
i should also mention i already tried polishing compound and it did nothing. also the paint finish where the egg hit (the circled parts) are totally smooth. no roughness at all.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:28 AM
gerrygug
1st Gear
Maybe a good local detail shop can give you some direction.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:30 AM
amancuso
5th Gear
Egg eats clearcoat, sorry to tell you this :( An egg hit a 328iC I owned once, I had to get the rear quarter and bumper resprayed. I have full coverage, and reported it to insurance. Luckily no rate hikes.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:41 AM
SoCal MCS
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In CA, you can take it to your insurance company under the comprehensive section of you policy (assuming you have full coverage). Of course you have to pay the deductible.....if the cost to repair is close then its out of pocket, but if there is a big delta, then at least it will be fixed and less $ out of your pocket.

Sorry to hear, that really , really sucks....

Old 04-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Nelnel21
2nd Gear
yea i just called my insurance and i am covered. my deductible is $750. if i am going to repaint it, the kid or his parents better at least pay my deductible. as for now i'm still trying to figure out if a clay bar or something will remove it before i buy it.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:12 PM
bhegg
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Nelnel21
yea i just called my insurance and i am covered. my deductible is $750. if i am going to repaint it, the kid or his parents better at least pay my deductible. as for now i'm still trying to figure out if a clay bar or something will remove it before i buy it.
The clay bar itself will not fix your paint. It's just used to prep the surface before you hit it with a compound. Since the polishing compound had no effect it sounds like you'll simply need to progressively work up to a more aggressive compound. If you don't have experience with these compounds I'd recommend to get help from someone knowledgeable or a professional. If you don't know what you're doing you can mess up the clearcoat surface or worse. Either way, I highly doubt you'd have to get it resprayed.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Nelnel21
2nd Gear
went to a body shop my boss swears by. he thinks he can buff/sand it out. but won't know for sure until he tries it. gonna cost me $100 as a favor. got it set up for next Thursday. in the meantime gonna get $100 from the punk kid and hopefully that's all i need to do.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM
JeffreyC
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd stay away from the body shop and look for a professional paint polisher, which isn't the same as a detailer, and get an evaluation before you start applying compound, wool pads and rotary polishers. You might find the fix is worse than the damage.

I'd suggest Phil at Detailers Domain. I believe he is somewhat local to your area.

Jeff

Old 04-26-2012, 06:48 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I few thoughts if you don’t mind.

1) If it’s fairly fresh, you may be able to wet sand and buff it. Depending on how bad/deep it is will determine what grit you need.

The other determining fact is how old it is. If it’s been on too long, egg is acidic and will eat the clear coat. If it did, you’re screwed, painting is the only solution.

In my opinion (from your pics) it looks like it’s light and will still wet sand and buff.

2) Get rid of your agent. Let me explain something.

Eggs go under vandalism. Vandalism is covered under comprehensive. There is NO negative effects (rate increase, etc, etc) to making a claim under comprehensive. Comprehenisive is fire, theft, glass, vandalism and acts of God)

Now, the reason I said to get rid of your agent...here’s why.

If you have collision coverage and change your deductible from say 500 dollars to 1000 dollars, you’ll probably save a ton of money on your premium, right?

Comprehensive isn’t like that. Changing your deductible from 100 dollars to say 500 dollars will save you about 20-30 per year in premiums.

Any good insurance agent would look out for a customer and tell them that. I’ll bet that you don’t have car rental (like 15 bucks every 6 months) or towing (about 10 bucks every 6 months)

A good agent would look out for you and tell you that.

HTH’s,

Mark

EDIT: When I say “you” may be able to wet sand and buff it, I meant a professional, not you. (no offense) Also, that’s ridiculous to pay 100 to wet sand and buff it out. Though I’m partial to minis, I still wouldn’t charge a customer to do a 20 minute job.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Nelnel21
2nd Gear
from what you're saying makes me want to change my policy right now. changing my deductible down to like 1 or 200 would only cost me a few more $ a month. meanwhile less out of my pocket up front and more $ the insurance will have to pay.

will it matter if i wet sand/buff it in the next day or 2 rather than waiting till next week? or has the egg done it's damage and it doesn't matter when i do it since i already washed it off.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Also, that’s ridiculous to pay 100 to wet sand and buff it out. Though I’m partial to minis, I still wouldn’t charge a customer to do a 20 minute job.
It's true... Mark hand-polished the doors on our MINI at MOTD last year for free!

Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
from what you're saying makes me want to change my policy right now. changing my deductible down to like 1 or 200 would only cost me a few more $ a month. meanwhile less out of my pocket up front and more $ the insurance will have to pay.

will it matter if i wet sand/buff it in the next day or 2 rather than waiting till next week? or has the egg done it's damage and it doesn't matter when i do it since i already washed it off.

Two things....

You can change your deductible but if you’ve already made the claim to your insurance, you will have to wait until next time to take advantage of the lower deductible.

As far as when you should do it... obviously the correct answer is ASAP. However, it depends also how much it has etched itself into your paint. Can I tell you you’ll be okay waiting a week, I have no idea, I don’t know how bad it is.

I will tell you this. The hood gets hot from the heat of the engine and will only make it harder to remove. I would get it done as soon as possible. I’m still against a shop charging you 100 bucks to wetsand and buff a little spot like that.

BTW, I wouldn’t take it to a detail shop. Most detail shops polish and do not wet sand and buff. The ones that do usually only use 2500 or 3000 grit sandpaper. You’re probably going to need something more aggressive than that.

HTH’s,

Mark

PS. Not going to MOTD next week, are you? I may go for Saturday only, I’d be more than happy to bring buffer and some paper.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Blainestang
It's true... Mark hand-polished the doors on our MINI at MOTD last year for free!
And if I remember correctly, it took a lot longer than 20 minutes...lol. I think this year, I’ll bring an electric buffer with me...lol.

Mark

Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
And if I remember correctly, it took a lot longer than 20 minutes...lol. I think this year, I’ll bring an electric buffer with me...lol.

Mark
Yeah, I'm sure it did, though I didn't time it

An electric buffer would certainly save your arms. Speaking of which, I still need to buy one. haha